Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I don't understand

You can’t see or hit other players’ NPCs (to keep you from accidentally-on-purpose murdering their merchants or whatever). They appear transparent, looking similar to player ghosts.

FishMcCool posted:

There are no mimics in DS2. Rejoice!

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
so they were fighting Carhillion?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah either him or Mr wheel and deal. Or even lucatiel I think.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If you hit a wooden chest too hard, the things inside will turn to rubbish.

Bonfire ascetics will send the current zone to NG+. This will respawn all monsters and bosses, and wooden but not metal chests. There is some new and very good loot in NG+ zones.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

axolotl farmer posted:

If you hit a wooden chest too hard, the things inside will turn to rubbish.

Bonfire ascetics will send the current zone to NG+. This will respawn all monsters and bosses, and wooden but not metal chests. There is some new and very good loot in NG+ zones.

Also wonderful for getting two of a boss weapon to powerstance it! I had a lot of fun putting on poisonous butterfly wings and swinging around daggers that inflicted poison and toxic to make enemy players panic in pvp.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Just got SotFS, what do I need to know coming from Dark Souls Remastered/basic beginners tips to avoid frustration? The change of graphical style from the first one is awesome I reckon

Two of the most basic weapons that can carry you through the game and both have good scaling with STR are the mace as mentioned before and the Estoc that for once, it has good scaling with STR in the entire series. Both have low weight, low requirements and slap.

Shields will improve when upgrading them and there are a bunch that are great against one type of damage and fully upgraded will mostly negate it so unless you plan on ignoring them, it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on their stats and enchant a shield to further improve that damage defence.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's worth keeping in mind that shields in Dark Souls 2 aren't bad. Medium shields, specifically, aren't very good in Dark Souls 2. Parry shields are great at being implements for parries and tower shields are great for just tanking hits.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
in ds1, a lot of the shields had very high block rating, blocking 95-100% of physical damage. in ds2, especially in the early game, the shields generally block less, but you can find some that block 100, though they are typically heavy.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Shields aren't bad at all yeah. Even early on, you can grab the Blue Wooden Shield with 85% physical mitigation in the forest of fallen giants, as well as the Drangleic Dhield and it's 100% mitigation post-Pursuer. Stability is a different story, and that's the main advantage of heavy shields, but medium ones do a decent job to tank arrows or an occasional single big hit. Llike other weapons too, shield stats including mitigation/stability improve with upgrades, so if you like your shield, you should upgrade it.

And well, there's always the Blossom Kite Shield for improving your stamina regen and looking fab at the same time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's also important to remember that durability is different in DS2; it refreshes when resting at a bonfire, but everything has much lower durability than you're probably used to (and rings have durability to consider as well). Weapon durability will decrease when hitting enemies (obv), hitting objects (don't go around hitting walls like crazy), and using the special attacks of certain weapons, but iirc also if you are attacking through the air above a dead body so be careful when dealing with a crowd and swinging wildly. Armor and rings lose durability when getting hit, or from environmental effects. Certain effects will rapidly degrade your durability, and should be avoided like the plague. There is a line of rings that reduce the rate of durability loss, which is worth considering (especially if you're using special attacks, as they reduce the cost for those as well).

Poison and Toxic are way more potent than in other entries, both against enemies and you. You won't find much in the way of poison cure items until a good ways in. Poison/Toxic Mist are highly potent spells that require no stat investment aside from the attunement slot.

The Stone Ring is incredibly powerful, and available right from the start.

Unless you are bound and determined to park your rear end at a particular NG boss and coop that boss for all eternity, don't give any thought to soul memory. It's just brain worms and ultimately doesn't matter except in the very specific case previously mentioned. Wear the Silver Serpent Ring and throw your bounty of souls into more levels.

Medium shields are a "don't die to this attack" tool, which is still quite useful, but don't expect to tank full combos from bosses like you could in DS1.

Experiment with powerstancing, I highly recommend mixing a curved sword with a thrusting sword.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If you're not powerstancing two Great Hammers or UGS, then it's just stancing. :colbert:

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Ds2 also doesn’t penalize you for using weapons in your left hand like 1 or 3 does. So you can go around using the full 1h moveset for any weapon as long as you can meet the requirements. I like Murakumo and Estoc for non-powerstancing two weapons.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Thinking about a hexer run but I haven’t played ds2 in a few years. Any advice on getting off the ground?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Buy Dark Orb from Straid, and Felkin, and later Darkdiver. It's the best workhorse spell for hexes, good damage and strong stamina drain if blocked. Ascetic the Skeleton Lords for a +2 Bluestone ring (fast casting). Can also use the Abyss Seal and Dark Clutch Ring to boost dark damage in general, but it's not necessarily needed. (Easier to use general stuff like Cloranthy / Second Dragon's / etc.) Get the Black Witch Staff so you can use everything. Be aware what hexes want bells and which want staves. The best staff for most of the game is probably Sunset, which you get from Felkin from talking when you have Int/Faith both at 20+. He also gives you an ugly hat that's one of the best in the game for hexes, sadly. Dark Weapon is a little worse than Resonant Weapon, but it's cast with staves and doesn't want to eat 2k souls a cast.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 24, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Buy Dark Orb from Straid, and Felkin, and later Darkdiver. Ascetic the Skeleton Lords for a +2 Bluestone ring (fast casting). Get the Black Witch Staff so you can use everything.

Definitely get black witch staff, but it’s in late game. Get 20/20 INT/FTH and Felkin will give you sunset staff for free. dark-infuse it, it’s got the best scaling for staff hexes

Don’t sleep on chime hexes either, there’s some really good ones in there. Scraps of life is your firestorm, climax is situationally useful nuke that wipes all your souls, the resonant spells and dark dance are fun if you want to shoot someone to death with money.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lifegems in DS2 honestly spoiled me, I used to crack a few and use the regen to tank stuff. And the just like that Lifegems were taken away from us in the rest of the series :'(

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
They were kinda op unfortunately...

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

hmm yes posted:

Thinking about a hexer run but I haven’t played ds2 in a few years. Any advice on getting off the ground?

You can get the Sunset staff and Dark Orb in about 15 minutes of gameplay:
Start cleric with ascetic.
Kill Maughlin for his armor.
Get Dragonrider to fall off his arena then ascetic and do it again.
Punch Licia of Lindelt until she lands in the ocean (she's got no poise at Heide's) then reload the zone to pick up her lockstone.
Consume dragonrider soul, level int to 21 and faith to 20.
Felkin will give you the sunset staff and hexer's set (+1 int on the hood gets you to 22 for equipping the staff) and then you can buy Dark Orb from him.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Another loop complete, on a faith build which I hadn't done in a long while. Not quite complete as a few bosses are still alive: Gank Squad, Sir Weeabo, Lud&Zallen as well as the Chariot which I intended to go back to but completely forgot about.

Miracles are cool, but they really take a while before starting to dish respectable damage. Basically around Amana when you finally get Sunlight Blade with faith around 40-50. Lightning infused weapons do a good job all around, and once spell-buffed pack a pretty decent punch. Rolled with the starting Mace just to beeline a Claymore from Vengarl, and used that most of the run. Started playing with the Archdrake Mace after getting a few to drop in Amana and enjoyed it enough to use it instead for a change of pace. Never used it before as far as I can remember, and it's a good looking polehammer. It's technically a Great Hammer, but comes with a Halberd moveset including the cool double spin. It doesn't do as much damage as the Claymore, but feels ever slightly faster on R1s and does a ton of poise damage so the stunlocks made it a viable alternative even when it required one extra hit compared to the big sword. Used it for the late bosses with Ivory King, Throne Duo, Nash and Aldia all getting polehammered.

Fume was a notable exception, as both Claymore and Archdrake Mace were too slow for me to swing and roll out in time, so I ended up using the stupidly good Craftman's Hammer for him, lightning infused too to keep with the theme. I also had an old apprehension about Dark Lurker, but turns out, when you can cast Great Magic Barrier to tank and spam Lightning Spears, well, it's a lot easier.

Tried to sunbro everywhere, but not too many takers outside of the annual event, so I'm not even close to Sunlight Spear even at the end. And I'm just realising that I picked up the Splintering Lightning Spear in a DLC but forgot to attune it, pity.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SHISHKABOB posted:

They were kinda op unfortunately...

You say this like I wasn't constantly getting hosed up regardless of my never-ending supply. 😭

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's time to return.

Don't give up, skeleton.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's time to return.

Don't give up, skeleton.

Heck yeah, baby.

Was considering a hexer but the bonk calls out to me. Let's do this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gonna try either a hexer or a smelter hammer guy, or some other cool build if anyone has good ideas to share. haven’t played DS2 since before Elden Ring so it should be interesting in that light. Not looking forward to platforming with the sprint jump.

Is there an interview or design works bit or something that explains what is going on with the opening cutscene and really, the whole presentation of the plot? It’s way weirder and less relevant and direct than even the other Souls games. Undead amnesiac PC wanders into an abyss portal and ends up in Things Betwixt on a very, very loosely defined quest for existential significance. Reminds me of screwball 00s Fromsoft

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
You hear that Drangleic is a place where people can avoid hollowing out from undeath and head there. It’s common enough that Saulden immediately refutes it in Majula.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK so far I've gotten more people summoning me and immediately dismissing me than actual successful coops. Barely any summon signs on the ground when I try to summon either. Maybe I'll wait for the weekend :sigh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

Gonna try either a hexer or a smelter hammer guy, or some other cool build if anyone has good ideas to share. haven’t played DS2 since before Elden Ring so it should be interesting in that light. Not looking forward to platforming with the sprint jump.

Is there an interview or design works bit or something that explains what is going on with the opening cutscene and really, the whole presentation of the plot? It’s way weirder and less relevant and direct than even the other Souls games. Undead amnesiac PC wanders into an abyss portal and ends up in Things Betwixt on a very, very loosely defined quest for existential significance. Reminds me of screwball 00s Fromsoft

Something to keep in mind is that the CG was produced independently of the shitshow that was happening with the game's development, so some of the weirdness is simply down to the intro being out of sync with the final game. Originally there was going to be a much stronger emphasis on time travel and the Emerald Herald, but that got heavily stripped out and we were just left with vibes. And Shanalotte dropping some non-sequiturs along the journey for lore weirdos to puzzle over.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Went in as 'Findom Waifu', a (eventually Desert) sorceress with a whip. The plan is to summon simp-bros and let them kill mobs/bosses to earn souls for me while I do nothing at the back. Summons were sparse last night though, will see how it picks up over the weekend.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Paypigs? In this economy?

rye on white
May 5, 2013
does the grand lance leave you really vulnerable when you hit stuff or are the white knights in heides just a pain in the rear end to try to kill

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

rye on white posted:

are the white knights in heides just a pain in the rear end to try to kill
:hmmyes:

They have some insane poise and extremely sudden attacks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

rye on white posted:

does the grand lance leave you really vulnerable when you hit stuff or are the white knights in heides just a pain in the rear end to try to kill

Among the jankest enemies in a game full of jank enemies. Push off cliffs/avoid

Up there with fat dog and guy who explodes

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 28, 2024

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Shield up for the sword guys, block their combo, try to circle around. They have an attack that leaves them super open for a backstab, do that.

Spear guys have a very easy to see coming jump attack (it's always after some other attacks). You can just sidestep that, get behind them, backstab. No shield needed.

Ofc if you can parry the sword dudes, even better.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
First time going through SotFS version, taking some notes as I play. Thought others might get a laugh at my expense.

Forest of Fallen Giants
-Oh god, there's an ogre in the river. Maybe I can beat...lol nope.
-Okay, I remember a few guys playing dead around this tree...
-Uuuuh, that's WAY MORE guys than before.
-Okay, I'll just climb up this ladder to get away. poo poo! There's a guy on the ladder!

Cardinal Tower area
-Oh yeah those turtle guys, they do something weird. *Gets crushed by ironclad soldier falling backwards* Right, that.
-Pretty sure there's something good down this cave. *Gets melted by lava spit from the giant lizard*
-Made it to the bonfire, think I remember you can break that door upstairs
-Hooray, a crystal lizard!
-You have been invaded by a dark spirit
-Gets killed
-Okay I'll just stay hollow so they can't...
-You have been invaded!
-Oh, right.
-Hey I managed to beat the Pursuer in the first fight! Never did that before, time to get those ite...where did those guys come from?!

Anyway, game is good. I've been running around with the battle axe, clearing out the early areas until the enemies despawn for a little soul boost. Building up stats for the bastard sword then I'll go fight the Last Giant. I also jumped off the cliff in Majula 100 times so I have the two rings from Saulden, Silver Serpent ring, and Cloranthy ring now. Not a bad start!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

This is why I love this game (and Scholar) so much. Even when you know/suspect it, the game will eventually manage to get you through jank, carelessness or both.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Why did you jump off the Majula cliff?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Because the message said to try it

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
^^^Also that^^^

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Why did you jump off the Majula cliff?

If / when you die 100 times and talk to Saulden he gives you the ring of Steel Protection. I thought he gave you an Attack+ ring too but I must have picked that up elsewhere. Anyway, it reduces physical damage which is nice early on.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

FishMcCool posted:

This is why I love this game (and Scholar) so much. Even when you know/suspect it, the game will eventually manage to get you through jank, carelessness or both.

I died at the Cardinal Tower door cause I tried running through the ganksquad of enemies below.

Not from getting hit out of the door opening animation, no. I was mashing buttons and when the door was 50% open, I rolled.

I did not know you could roll-cancel door opening animations :smithicide:

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Oh. I wouldn’t know. :smug: He also gives you the Blue Ring if you join way of blue which is worth a little extra hp if you don’t have anything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

What builds do y'all recommend for Return to Drangleic?

I've already done powerstanced spears, 2h ultra great sword, powerstanced cestus, and hexes.