Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mazed posted:

Kinda wondering if your name in-game will always appear as your Steam name or they'll actually be cool this time and let it show as the name you gave your character.

Steam name would be vastly superior because if you wanted to RP you could just change it to your character name and/or whoever you're cosplaying as at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Belgian posted:

Thanks! Not gonna preorder then, getting a unch of stuff at the start is no fun.

All the weapons are worthless garbage replaced the moment you do a single zone and almost any class's starting equipment is better than the lot of it anyway.

Preorder is worth it if only for the OST and the art.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 22, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Leadthumb posted:

I played through all of dark souls with the halberd, will this power stance thing let me play with two halberds?

The halberd powerstance moveset is atrociously bad, but you sure as shootin' can do it. :getin:

Almost any weapon in the game can be powerstanced, from daggers to spears to halberds to greatswords.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fina posted:

In Dark Souls I really started to enjoy playing light armor after my first character which ran around in Black Iron.

Maybe it was just me getting better at the game over repeated playthoughs but by the end it seemed like usefulness of the added maneuverability of light armor far outweighed the damage reduction of heavier armor. Is this still the case in DS2?

Armor is fairly useful on a new game run(many bosses who would one shot you will two shot you instead, which is all the difference you need) but enemies start dealing so much damage in NG+ that even the heaviest of armor is largely a waste after the first few bosses. Eventually, no matter what, you'll need to know how to dodge.

In PvP, armor is a really huge boon and being a fatass fully upgraded haveldad means you can take a lot of damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brasseye posted:

I thought they stopped spawning eventually if they kept killing you, not the other way round? Thats what it felt like in the shaky early stages of my first play through. Either way I didnt find it to be a problem, you dont need to grind in this game.

Nope, extinction is based on how many times you kill each enemy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

100 kills in Belltower in one sitting.

So much blood. The bells. The Bells. Stay away from my bells. STAY AWAY FROM THE BELLS :unsmigghh:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

You could also just break it.

Namco are acting like the VAC stuff is not intentional. I don't see how specifically preventing people with VAC bans from playing online could be unintentional though. That's not something you accidentally put into the game.

Not only do I hope the VAC ban = no online is intentional, I hope they VAC ban anyone caught cheating going forward. It would be the most amazing thing to have at least one single souls game where blatant cheaters actually get punished and prevented from loving with the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Except that they haven't mentioned VAC anywhere and if this is intentional, it's probably borderline illegal.

People who cheat in Dark Souls should be banned from Dark Souls. That is not the case.

Doctor Albatross posted:

I seriously hope otherwise. I have a VAC ban from my account when I was 15 (now 20) for, admittedly, using an aimbot. Scummy and terrible, but I don't think it should justify blocking online in other games. I haven't cheated in ANY game since that day I was banned from Modern Warfare 2 and have no intention of doing it in future, either.

Ah, I misunderstood and didn't realize VAC bans from other games in the past were paying forward into DS2. That shouldn't be the case and I agree with you deserving a fair shake on that one.

I'm just excited over the prospect that finally people who cheat in these games might actually be prevented from loving the game up for once. It was so sad watching Dark Souls 1 PC descend into a lovely quagmire because a bunch of people figured out they could hack your character's stats, permanently kill your NPCs, or completely break your quest progress.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You'll wish you could cheat once you realize what a pain in the rear end it is to get loving twinkling titanite and dragon bones. I'd rather kill dragons and clams all day everyday.

15 to upgrade a boss weapon my sexy rear end

I've played through console 4 times, so I know how much it sucks. At least ascetic runs in Aerie make it pretty fast.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

The mouse input delay is a real killer. Couple times now I've died because it takes almost a second to put my shield up.

This port isn't as bad as DS1, but it's not far from it.

Shield raise delay is an intentional thing you have to budget stats for in DS2, it's not automatically instant like in DS1. You need to raise ADP or ATN to get your agility up. This also affects how fast you drink estus/use items and how many invincibility frames are on your roll.

Also Dark Souls 2 PC is so many miles ahead of Dark Souls 1 PC that to compare the two of them is insulting to DS2 PC.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kawabata posted:

Are you telling me I should reinforce more than 1 weapon to have an alternative when the first one breaks? Why is my sword made of iron breaking after 10 minutes, what is going on here. I mean it just looks really really funny and stupid.

If you want to drag reality into it, think about how long a blade would hold a usable edge while being slammed into the ground, stone walls, and armored enemies. The answer is pretty much no time at all.

Mechanically, all equipment gets a full repair every time you hit a bonfire provided it's not totally broken. Because lifegems now afford you effectively infinite healing, equipment durability is now your new endurance factor between bonfires. Avoid hitting corpses or missing swings/hitting walls a lot and most weapons will last from bonfire to bonfire pretty easily, especially if you're mixing in some ranged combat of some sort on some enemies. The only weapons that have real crippling durability issues are weapons that swing really really fast or the ones that are particularly fragile(katanas), and those can be addressed pretty easily with the weapon durability ring.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RasputinVarez posted:

poo poo, Pre-Ordering bonuses

I don't like that, they kind of ruin game balance. I take it i get them on all my characters?

Good news! They don't touch game balance. All of the weapons except the staff are hot garbage beaten out by any class's starting weapons and none of the shields are any better than the wooden piece of poo poo you pick up in the first area. The staff is only good if you're going pure sorcery(no hexes) and is only good because there's a serious lack of staves for a while.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Hanged Man posted:

Well, you might be surprised to find out that Souls games, since their conception, have pretty much always been 90% blatant fanservice

Yeah seriously, the Souls series is absolutely lousy with King's Field nods and references and fanservice. The Moonlight Greatsword wasn't invented for DeS!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you do this? Why would you not want a dedicated jump button? :psyduck:

Because you've developed hundreds of hours of muscle memory from previous Souls games and/or find clicking the same analog stick you're using to move around awkward for whatever reason.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I am the most miserly sunbro though!

From what I hear, the guy gets exponentially harder for melee characters in NG because of his aura.

You can melee him from outside of aura range with many, many melee weapons. Any thrust attacks or polearms work fine, it's really only super point blank no range attacks like cestus and maces that have to get that close. Either way his aura is totally insignificant even on NG+ since you're 99.999% more likely to die to a flubbed dodge into one shot than you are to aura ticking.

Also what the christ, if you're a phantom pop an estus since you get it back if you win anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vengarr posted:

I've already got 1 of the great souls and I haven't been invaded once. Except by the gray phantoms at the Belfry.

They really nerfed PVP hard, huh?

Also I haven't hit a single backstab and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Very few people bother to invade on NG because of limited cracked orb availability and the fact that Belfry pvp is much more materially beneficial to a new character. Get to NG+.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Crusher posted:

Someone please tell me the best tactic to getting hatemail in DS2. My friend on 360 is out-hatemailing me by like, a dozen. Apparently gesturing in front of people dying to rat poison and a mastodon isn't infuriating?!

Hatemail isn't a thing on DS2 PC because you can't send messages or anything to people who aren't already your friends.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Orv posted:

Why ENB Is Awful:

Not only does it look lovely, it makes the Amana mage's projectiles... invisible and silent.

Man, I can't believe they removed the old lighting system!

I always wanted to play literally the entire game in Tomb of the Giants unable to see poo poo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Here's how they designed Aldias Keep:

"Haha oh man, wouldn't it be hilarious if the player had to fight a horde of the most annoying enemies in the game at once? That just screams classic Dark Souls doesn't it??? :downs:"

I don't remember a horde of anything in Aldia's keep besides the rats at the beginning. I also don't remember anything actually annoying there. :confused:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

kazil posted:

It's filled with Ogres. Ogres are the worst.

There's like three of them and you fight them one at a time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bloodmobile posted:

They're a good offhand for fighting people in light armor and poking after people trying to roll away, but not really useful as a primary weapon since most people won't get stunned out of their attack animation or take more than 100 damage from their hits.

The only people who take that little damage from upgraded rapiers are full Havel dudes, and that's more of an issue of Havel's in particular being ridiculously strong than rapiers or light weapons being too weak. There's plenty of PvP videos of dual rapier dudes shredding actual SL 150 PvP builds from full to almost dead in one good combo.

There's this weird myth that dex weapons aren't very good because dex scaling isn't the best when in reality all scaling that isn't A or S is pretty poo poo compared to infusions. Yeah no poo poo a 40 dex +10 dex weapon build isn't going to outdamage a 40 str +10 greatclub build swing for swing, but the dex weapon has its own advantages. There's a ton of dex weapons that have absolutely loving amazing movesets and can be made to do shitloads of damage with the right infusion and/or buff.

kazil posted:

Fighting ogres one at a time is still awful :colbert:

Try poison but hole.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Holy gently caress, so I've been screwing around with MotionJoy all day trying to get my original gamepad as well as my PS3 controller to work.

I downloaded something called "Better DS3" and it just loving worked immediately. No creepy Chinese browser-based bullshit constantly polling home like MotionJoy, just a simple interface that immediately worked with no fuss.

gently caress MotionJoy Forever

BetterDS3 functions by using the MotionInJoy drivers so without MotionInJoy BetterDS3 wouldn't work at all. :shobon:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ah gently caress this Darklurker poo poo. Another fight where getting to the boss is harder than the boss itself. :what:

Darklurker is interesting because for spellcasters it rolls over and dies almost instantaneously, but is one of the most dangerous bosses in the game to non-magical melee.

It's because it's horrifyingly weak to both lightning and fire.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Domattee posted:

I really wish they'd allow red soapstoned phantoms to use estus, I'm getting tired of having to kill the host 5 times over.

I don't know why people do this. If I'm invading you against your will as a redbro, bluebro, or bell dude, chug that Sunny D all you want, it's the invader's job to deal with it since you didn't ask for me to invade you. If you want to willingly summon a red phantom and beat the poo poo out of him on completely unfair terms, you might as well just put together a gank posse so at least he dies quickly instead of wasting everyone's time.

I feel bad because I started bringing dual avelyns to duels to punish chuggers. :qq:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mimetic posted:

Do weapon buffs you apply stick around if you switch to a different weapon? As in, can you buff your main and offhand with pyromancy/sorcery/miracles at once?

The moment you put the weapon away the buff vanishes instantly. The only way you can buff both weapons at once is either with the caster hybrid weapons or by buffing your offhand with a staff/chime in your mainhand, switching to your mainhand weapon, then using a resin.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

True I wish I could place sunlight blade on defender greatsword for the ultimate in lightning jackassery.

The Defender Greatsword's 2H L2 is a free sunlight blade.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

It is, I had thought it was a flat lightning damage increase, not the percentage and damage like sunlight blade? I wanted to infuse it with lightning, activate its ability and place sunlight blade on it in hopes I could collect the giant souls easily with the huge amount of damage it dishes out.

Seems to be basically the same as Sunlight Blade damage-wise at +5 Lightning, with the caveat that Sunlight Blade lasts a bit longer than the Defender's self-buff.

Stacking them would be totally absurd and make it basically the strongest weapon in the game, easily surpassing pre-nerf MLGS.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tracula posted:

Cromwell doesn't get rid of sin. He just makes NPC's de-aggro if you pissed one off. They do an awful job explaining this.

Especially since an identical looking NPC with a nearly identical looking process did actually remove sin in the previous game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Somone's gotta sell me on Greatshield bashing. It looks really cool but by the time I've wound up my victim has either shanked or avoided me.

It's effectively worthless, but then again it always has been.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Aldia's Keep through Dragon Shrine definitely should've been padded out in place of some of the really monotonous areas.

If I could modify the back half of the game, I'd fold the Giant's Memories together into a single full length dungeon and pad out Aldia's Keep. Aerie and Shrine felt just about right, but that's because to me they feel like one contiguous area instead of two separate zones.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

zipzilchzero posted:

Is the only place to queue up to defend Belfry Sol inside of Belfry Sol itself?

Where you are when you wear the bellkeeper ring is irrelevant. You'll be summoned to fight other dudes in your soul memory range, whatever that is, in whatever belfry is being invaded by an interloper at the time. There aren't a lot of Belfry Sol interlopers period because Belfry Sol doesn't have a boss or a real compelling reason for interlopers to go there besides Mad Warrior farming(which is usually done offline to save time/effort).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Foxhound posted:

Chameleon will never stop being the best spell in the game. Even if you get a lovely doodad, with a bit of creativity you can make it work. Some people get it right away but a lot of invaders just run by or stop to think for a second, and that's when you slam them into the ground.

It also has another strategic effect where the enemy can't see what gear you're packing until you're on top of them.

They also can't target you, which means they can't trigger stuff like Homing Soulmass/Affinity until they either hit you out of it or you break your disguise.

They also can't see that you're powerstancing Avelyns and are about to take them to the gun show. :getin:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

It's basically categorically better than the Bastard Sword or Claymore while having the same moveset. A straight upgrade, no point in using any of the other ones once you have it.

It has significantly higher requirements so if you're not actually doing a str build the Claymore or Bastard Sword are superior for lower level hybrid builds.

e: The Lightning Defender's GS is pretty much the ultimate king of faith weapons, so comparing it to Mastodon/Basard/Claymore is kind of unfair.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Alright smart people, tell me what the hell I should be doing with my character.

I feel like I have no idea what I'm levelling up right now, since currently I have everything I want. Do I need more HP? More endurance? Should I give magic a shot? The only reason I have both 8 FTH and INT was to talk to the Hexer dude, which is pointless in retrospect since I don't really feel like being a Hexer on this playthrough. I'm currently up to Earthen Peak, and I've just been using the Mace or Falchion as my main weapons. My main ranged option so far has just been throwing knives, with very very rarely the bow, and sometimes a bit of Fireball or Lingering Flame (which for some reason I bought two of).
I was thinking of sunbroing until I got the Sun Sword and then using that. I picked the Falchion for its bleediness, but I haven't really noticed it. I was considering using the Dragonrider Twinblade, but since I don't have access to Poison infusing yet the cool looks of it don't outweigh the costs of not having a shield at the ready.

The most important thing when deciding where to go with a character is to decide what kind of dude you want to play. That sounds silly and obvious, but that's really it. Despite a lot of protestations to the contrary, there's basically no awful unplayable weapon types or builds in DS2, only varying levels of difficulty. If you're content with your current weapon and offensive options, focus on leveling your endurance to 20(softcap for stamina gain) and then pad out vigor and vitality to improve your durability.

To address your specific concerns:
  • Sun Sword is a really solid weapon, but only if you intend to go to 40 str/40 dex to make the most of its superior scaling. It's no better than a normal longsword otherwise.
  • Bleed is largely crap in general and you can ignore it for the most part. The Falchion is a nice weapon for its animation set, especially when powerstanced, but the bleed won't do much of anything.
  • For general use I'd recommend staying away from twinblade weapons. Upgraded properly they can do insane levels of damage very quickly, but they have horrendous durability problems due to their tendency to swing a billion trillion times in quick succession and scrape the gently caress out of floors and walls. This means that trying to use them for normal area clears requires backup weapons or multiple repair powders. They can be super bitchin' when used for short encounters where durability isn't a concern like boss fights and PvP, though.
  • Throwing knives and a decent bow have a good place in any build, even a magic one. Poison Arrows are one of the best problem-solving items in the game and throwing knives are both quick to come out to finish stuff on the verge of death and can also be used to break stuff like poison jars and curse pots safely from a distance.
  • Don't be afraid to go without a shield. It can be really scary at first until you get used to it, but taking advantage of two handing/power stance drastically ups your damage output both directly(doing more damage per swing) and indirectly(it costs a fuckload less stamina to dodge around an enemy's combo than it does to take it on your shield, which means you have more stamina/time to stab them in the face).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Skilleddk posted:

so where can I grind decent souls now? Iron Keep, Dragon Shrine, Amana, Undead Crypt went through GENOCIDE. I haven't bought all the spells I want for NG+ yet.

Kinda funny how fast the game goes after you beat it a few times and know where to go. I did 5 characters on PS3, first one took me 70h to finish the game with, the first one on PC (overall 6th character) was 7h :v: Only 8 deaths too

Phantom. You can get hits for the final boss up until like 3.5 million SM.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

You can run straight from the bonfire that's after the Prowling Magus without getting hit, and pretty fast, too, even though it looks like a trek.

Yeah, the only enemy that's really a pain in the rear end to simply scoot by at maximum speed is the spider hollow by the ladder in the temple area.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

Bring back dragon transformation instead of 'turn your armor into cool looking but actually pretty useless armor you can't remove'

The Black Dragon Armor is actually pretty loving excellent from a protection standpoint considering how insanely light it is. It gives around 500 to all physical resists and pretty impressive magic resists while weighing a total of like 9 pounds or something, which is less than most medium chestplates on their own. It has no poise and it doesn't compare to an upgraded suit of real armor defensively, but it's an absolutely fantastic way to give yourself some decent defense while skimping on VIT. The only real downside is giving up your head slot so you miss out on the various cast speed/spell use hoods.

It also looks rad as gently caress. You're telling me you'd rather turn into an idiotic giraffe-necked lizardman instead of doing an awesome power rangers transformation into gold/black dragon plate? I feel like a superhero when I dragon transform now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sushibandit posted:

My "main" character is around level 200 now, and I've tried both sorcery and miracle builds. Is it just me, or do miracles feel "weaker" overall offensively compared to sorcery? Take Great Lightning Spear compared to, say, Crystal Soul Spear.

Then again I haven't gotten Sunlight Spear or WoTG yet so maybe those plus the overall utility of miracles makes them more rounded. Just a thought. Also I wish the Disc Chime was better at...everything, because it looks awesome and combining blocking capability with casting stuff is awesome.

Great Lightning Spear is a mid-tier nuke and Crystal Soul Spear is a top-line nuke that you have to farm a NG+ boss to get copies of. GLS is much closer to normal Soul Spear, which it outperforms pretty handily in PvE due to having drastically more shots and having a much better damage type for hitting enemy weaknesses.

Sunlight Spear is the rough analogue to CSS, and Sunlight Spear does not disappoint.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You have to offer your medals to the statue in a dialog option. One at a time, for all 30. :shepface:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Umberger posted:

You can't aim Bow of Want, its L1/LB makes it shoot a fancy lightning arrow. This may affect your decision.

You can aim Bow of Want, it's just L2 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kaldaris posted:

So is maining Pyromancy just a bad idea optimization wise? Because I really like big flashy boomy effects. :(

Pyro spells are less optimized as a main form of attack than Miracles, Sorceries, or Hexes. The closest thing pyromancy has to a Soul Arrow/Lightning Spear/Dark Orb, the Fireball/Fire Orb type spells, have lousy damage and terrible ammo efficiency, which means you'll run into a lot of problems trying to use just pyro to kill everything. Where pyro excels is in huge area of effects and massive burst damage, meaning it's really meant to complement another form of attack. Spells like Flame Swathe, Firestorm, and Forbidden Sun all emphasize what pyromancy is best at: low ammo count, huge burst damage spells that cover ridiculously huge areas.

tldr: Pyromancy is absolutely excellent but is really hard to use as your main source of damage for long dungeon crawls.