Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I really wish the level up requirements in the Blue Sentinels weren't so absurdly huge. You'd think they'd have nerfed them a little by now given how little action the Sentinels get :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Walking Dad posted:

Does anything suggest otherwise?

That's not really how it works. Onus of proof is on the claimant and all that :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

There a numerous, obvious reasons why the sentinels are getting little action right now if you're familiar with the mechanics of how they (and sinners) work. You can expect that they will get more action as time to goes on, not less.

I would forget about them now and come back later. Try the bellbros and rat kings, they get lots of action right now but you can rest assured they will drop off a cliff within a few months.

I'm not convinced it's nearly enough. 500 goddamn kills. poo poo is nuts.

Azuth0667 posted:

More plot stuff:

Reading through some of the dialogue and item descriptions it looks like Nashandra talked Vendrick into pillaging the giants for their souls then building the throne of want with them. This pissed the giants off hence their retaliation and invasion of Drangleic. It isn't clear what Vendrick's intention was for using the throne but, I think a Lovecraftian situation happened where he looked at the essence of a soul and it drove him nuts. I don't think he was clued into Nashandra being an evil manifestation of the abyss.

There's also the lingering question that many items ask which is

The hell did Vendrick hope to accomplish by running off like that? "Just what was it he wished to protect", as the items so often ask?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FauxGateau posted:

Maybe the fact that we don't know what the villain wants is a sign of a terrible story.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I'm positive they lost some writers who knew what the gently caress the Dark and the Abyss are supposed to be between DS1 and DS2.

Because Darkdiver Grahl and Nashandra are loving incoherent and the word Dark becomes utterly meaningless by the end of this game :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty sure all of the Souls games actually start with English in mind. As in even the Japanese versions use the English VA.

Like I said then, probably an issue of writer discontinuity.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

If you're not already, being in NG+ helps a lot with this. The requirement for players having sin is the bottleneck there, and its much more likely that they do in NG+.

Huh I dunno. Usually I just use them on the bridge leading up to the neo-ornstein fight. Blue orbs don't care about your location and will put you anywhere where it finds someone with sin so you don't actually have to move around areas like you do with the red orbs.

I don't think actually BEING in NG+ or not makes a difference, it's just a matter of having a Soul Memory that jives with people who ARE in NG+.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

This is presumably why it's telling me there's nobody to invade in those areas where I can use it, but straight up being unable to use them is surely a different issue.

I invaded three people with Cracked Blue Eye Orbs in the span of like 15 minutes or so this morning. You don't have to be in the same area as the person you're invading.

The trick, in my experience, is to just keep hammering the Cracked Blue Eye orb button. After 5-10 tries you'll get a hit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

Could someone please explain to me just what the deal is with Belfry Luna I mean just what am I supposed to be doing? I talked to the guy on the door but he's clearly mental and I go wander about and get attacked despite supposedly being friends with door dude...

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/bell-keepers

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

An Actual Bear posted:

Was the final boss supposed to be a total chump? Good game but ran out of steam towards the end.

Every boss is a chump with Resonant Soul/Sunlight Spear/Crystal Soul Spear antics :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lori posted:

I have a shield that blocks all magic damage and I'm pretty sure I made someone cry because they couldn't spam magic and roll away from me for half an hour straight

Speaking of which, what ARE the good shields for magic damage? Fire and dark, while we're at it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

1.3 mil is ridiculously easy to get by doing any amount of jolly cooperation, long long before you reach Drangleic Castle. Whatever levelling curve exists in this game is absolutely savaged by any amount of multiplayer.

That was my experience at least. I hit 1.3 mil by the second Old Soul without even trying.

Also farming the Black Dragon Shield is going to drive me to madness :(

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dark Souls 2 IS waaayyyy loving harder than Dark Souls 1, but in terms of accessibility it has made leaps and bounds so your friend is kind of dumb.

:psyboom:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fuuuuck I literally depleted the Dragon Shrine trying to get the Black Dragon Shield to drop. This thing is so rare I may well need to resort to goon trades. Surely one of you had the good fortune of it dropping, right? Surely...? :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

The ability to do that is really limited in DS2, and the game is a lot harder to 'break' in your favor overall.

Is this a real post

Dark Souls 2, a lot harder to break? The game that is much more liberal on giving you multiple copies of attack spells to slot, poo poo loads of slots to put them in, and items to restore your casts in the field?

Dark Souls 2 is by a huge margin the easiest game in this series. Drakekeepers in the Dragon Shrine are kinda bullshit in how they seem to have no idea what Stamina even means and can chain from three hit combo to three hit combo ad infinitum.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

KoldPT posted:

Fashionsouls crew representin'

Lookin' good. What is that you've mixed together there? Looks familiar. I'm guessing the body is Looking Glass Knight.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Well, the PC version looks a heck of a lot better than the PS3 version.

All the people on Reddit and the Namco forums who bitch about getting invaded constantly must love it when the servers are down.

How on earth is anyone getting invaded "constantly"?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

404notfound posted:

I was trying to figure out where to go for the fourth great soul, so I finally looked up a map:

The last one I need is in Brightstone Cove, except it looks like I have to go through Doors of Pharros. Isn't that ratbro territory? Is there a way to get through that doesn't involve fighting ratbros or cheesing it by going offline?

Ratbros don't work like Bell keepers. They pull YOU into THEIR world. You're a phantom and lose nothing if they beat you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I wish they would just remove the Token Of Fidelity requirement for duelling other Blue Bros. :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Blue sentinel summon 1: host died as I was loading.
Blue sentinel summon 2: lost connection.
Blue sentinel summon 3: invader was a hacker that took zero damage.

#1 covenant

edit: I just got re-summoned to the same fight against the hacker. Time to take the ring off. Why is this game so hack friendly, what the gently caress.

It's such a cool Covenant in theory but every aspect of its implementation is garbage :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I'm trying to get summoned as well, and I think I'm way too high to get summoned in Heide's, though.

How does Blue Sentinel assisting work, with regard to SL/SM?

Well I know the Blue Sentinel ring doesn't actually care what area you are in relative to where you're summoned. Other than that ya got me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Are you sure? Every time I've been summoned (all five or so) it's been to the same area I'm in.

edit: :toot:

Positive. The single time I was summoned to SERVE AND PROTECT was in the Lost Bastille. I myself was at the Dragon Shrine.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Soul Memory is a fine mechanic but everyone with a 1 or 2 mil SM should be in the same bracket. Or higher I mean. It's so goddamn irrelevant at that point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't know about you but if I was Sunbroing and the host got invaded by a blue phantom I would let him die. That's what you get sinner. :colbert:

I just got done killing two sunbros plus the host at the Dragon Shrine. Guilt by association bitches.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elman posted:

Even if it was souls spent it still punishes experimentation.

The way I see it, DS1 had the right idea: they just forgot to take into account equipment, spells and other stuff that matters just as much as your level. Perhaps even PVP experience too. They could calculate a character rating with those variables and use that to match you with similar players.

It'd be more effort than Soul Memory but I think it could be a good balance between both systems.

There's no need for anything complicated. Soul Memory as is works perfectly fine, the problem is where the cutoff is. The idea that, after 12 Million Soul Memory everyone is just dumped into the same bracket is good! The problem is that that it happens much too late. After SL 150~, the limiting factor is far more gear slots than stats so the cutoff should really be pushed way way down. 2 mil, 3 mil, somewhere in that range.

They're not going to make Souls Spent the defining factor because then you just have DS1 again, and the whole point is to make twink invading scrub rear end newbies impossible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I love how despite using double fists I still get summoned a ton as a sunbro. I expected people to look at my pugilist astronaut and ignore it in favor of some guy with a huge sword, but people put a surprising amount of faith in my fists of space justice.

It almost certainly was, but changing it to being souls spent allows people to cheese the system permanently. Right now you can set up a dickwraith to torture low level players, but eventually that character is going to get pushed out of their SM range. How long it takes depends on how early you're willing to stop progressing in the game, but even if you did nothing but invade eventually you will get pushed up in terms of SM. If it only counted souls spent, you could just throw away all your souls aside from those used to upgrade your gear and hit minimum stat requirements. Then your dickwraith would be a killing machine with a super low SM.

The problem here is that it will take ages for a low level invader to get pushed up in SM purely through invasions, so a bunch of people are going to have to deal with that anyways. Second, there's nothing stopping you from just making a new character. If someone was truly dedicated to the art of loving over newbies, the soul memory system doesn't keep them from doing this.

Yes it does. It's functionally impossible to twink invade newbies due to a combination of limited Cracked Red Eye Orbs and Soul Memory. These two things in conjunction mean that to get more Orbs, you're going to have to raise your SM. There's just no way around it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I have some kind of...thing on my back. I'm guessing it hast to do with the infested spider dudes in Tseldora. How the gently caress do I get it off it's annoying to look at.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Theory chat: Don't think it has to be spoiled but w/e

So, Chanellor says Vendrick has been around since longer than anyone can remember, and he defeated the four great old ones. It sounds like then he gave or they took those souls from him, and eventually Vendrick just got so soul sick he lost his mind, mixed with Nashandra's abyss fuckery (hell, Ornstein was abyssy, She is, the tower defenders, and the guy who defended him.)

Does anyone else think that it's likely Vendrick = DS1 player character from some timeline?

Also, I think there might be something there with the throne of want, and the kilm of the first flame. They're both structurally similar in a fashion. Nashandra wants to basically take your souls for her own, and is basically protecting the throne, where you can lock yourself in.

I also think there's some time travel poo poo going on with the Kilm or something. Also it implies that DS1 was ancient, but this is even more the case, where we've moved from balistae and huge doors to magical genetic engineering, and fleets of ships. So the world is advancing technologically, and Mirrah is absolutely probably in a 15th century state of some kind.

I wish I knew wtf the point of the Map room is though.

The Chosen Undead is long dead and has nothing to do with the events of DS2 dead dead dead, threw himself on the First Flame.

Read the Sublime Bone Dust yo. This isn't terribly ambiguous at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

The mace fuckers are indeed absurd. They swing like what, every 0.75 seconds in a 2-swing overhead combo that has zero downtime it appears.

I mean honestly there are a few pretty big balance gently caress-ups currently in PVE alone, its a shame that they wont be fixed :( I cant imagine how much it must suck to go against Hexers etc for PVP, buddy tells me they're ridiculous.

+10 Dark infused Rebels Greatshield. What hexers?

Know what is annoying though? The super limited availability of Petrified Dragon Bones :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm in the Shrine of Amana, is this Ash Lake? It looks like it.

Drangleic Castle might be the most perfectly designed area in any videogame. I love every last piece of it.
The journey to it through the Shrine of Winter is long, without being arduous, it feels a long way away. Especially as the geography starts to break down - before you walk through the tunnel you can see the tower clearly in the distance, but once you walk through it, the tower moves! It's subtle, but the whole journey feels uncanny, like space is warped.

The approach up the stairs sets the theme pretty early on - those Mastodon statues are visible a mile off, and anybody who's played any videogame before knows that they're going to come alive and attack you. Sure enough, they do. The rest of the level is an exercise in paranoia as I leap and dodge round every corner whenever I see a statue. But the game is nice, it's fair, it teaches me the statues - horsehead knights are statues, tortoise knights are statues, spearmen will try and stab me. I can live with that. The doorway room has a nice obvious strategy - approach from the side, try and only wake up two at time, and pray to god that nothing triggers those very ominous doors . But the statues are so well placed that killing them fast guarantees they'll trigger a door - the apperance of the first ruin sentinal is a bit of a shock, but after taking on three at once it's satisfying to just dunk on one solo. The rest of the room is gloriously tense - since the basic rule of Dark Souls is that if I die, those doors are staying open and that room suddenly gets a whole lot harder. I die a few times, aggroing multiple sentries at once, but that room remains one of my favourite fights. Moments of quiet stalking, punctuated with bursts of extreme violence.

The ballista-room is a similar idea - all the pieces are immediately visible, but with some subtle trickery. There's three ballistae, a chest, and a conspicuous lever by a portcullis. I bumbled into the first ballistae trap in the forest of fallen giants and got shot to pieces. But I'm onto you, game. I know how this works. I look around carefully, there's no obvious pressure-plate or trip-wire. I drop my armour so I can move fast, and gingerly step in front of the ballistae and immediately throw myself back. Nothing happens. I try again. Still nothing. Alright, so clearly the chest is trapped. I run up, hit it, and hurl myself to the ground. I open it, and roll the side. I pick up the item and dive away. Nothing. That leaves the lever. I know I can't roll back far enough once I pull that lever. So I put on all my armour, two hand a greatshield, and prepare to tank the hits. Even if I die, at least that door will be open.

When I eventually lower my shield, I walk over to the ballistae. They're not loaded.

Eventually, I reach the approach to the fog door. I see a huge golden knight at the end of a corridor, lined with horsehead knights. It's a literal dark-and-stormy-night, and I am ready for a brawl. I set my sword on fire, and sprint down the corridor as lighting throws my shadow across the columns. This is what games are made of, this is why I play Dark Souls, I will take this bastard down!

That's when the horsehead knights decide that they aren't actually statues after all.

Motherfuckers

That level played me like a violin.

It's not, no. Ash Lake is much lower and, if Dark Souls 1 is to believed, the entire Dark Souls world more or less rests on the boughs of the Ash Trees.

If that is the case you can see how the Shrine of Amana is not nearly low enough or large enough to be that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

torsoboy posted:

I think I encountered some people that didn't take damage in my PVPing either. However just before entering NG+ I thought I should go test out my endgame gear duelling bluebros at the cathedral. I think the sparring matchmaker doesn't really work all that well because I was matched against people with low-level equipment. I buffed with Sunlight Blade and took down one guy with two swipes of my +10 lightning longsword. He must've thought I was cheating :ohdear:

As far as I can tell, the Blue Bro duelling arena and the Blood Brothers duelling arena are the only things in the game that don't factor in SM at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A.C. posted:

I'm playing a pure-sorcery gimmick character (no other elements, only weapon is a +0 dagger) and trying to kill Ascetic'd Najka for the ring. I decided I would summon people because this whole zone really sucks for me (at least the dagger does a shitload of backstab even at +0) and because summoning NG people to Ascetic'd zones is never not hilarious to me. I'm at 700k SM so I figured it would be people overleveled for regular Najka anyway and I expected a few funny deaths and then killing the boss.

Every single person has failed hilariously. I've been keeping a running tally and so far I have killed 59 phantoms this way (a couple were the same person a few times). Only five have actually made it to the boss. I can't not bust out laughing every time I summon two phantoms who charge headlong in to some lion warrior and both die to his very first swing. A lot of the time I summon two guys, who die to the first Lion Warrior, I kill it and summon two more, who die to the second, which I kill and summon two more only to have them die to the third.

It's absolutely comical and I don't think I will ever get bored of this.

e: Also gently caress NG+ Najka as a pure sorcery dude :( My sorceries barely scratch her and trying to range battle her is a recipe for death because it makes her dual-cast her HSM followed by Soul Geyser and sometimes the timing is literally impossible to dodge at range. I'm running with 5 VGR and I'm naked so everything kills me in one hit, of course.

It's almost like this game is designed with the assumption that you won't try to completely forgo qeapons or something

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I still don't really get why they changed parries the way they did. Spontaneous death counters were way more fun than this make them slooowly fall over nonsense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LtSmash posted:

You can go to the steam overlay, click 'view players' then the recent games tab and it will show the steam accounts you have been in game with sorted by time. If you click the profile link there will be a 'more' drop down box with a 'report violation' option.

I've run into a few hackers blue invading. One guy was farming the unending ghosts before vendrick with infinite hp and another guy stopped taking damage when he realized soul spear + homing soul mass wasn't going to cut it against me.

I'm not sure why anyone would bother farming when they've already cheated to be invincible. People are weird.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Quick question about Dark scaling and Hex damage: I keep hearing that the best way to get the most out of it is to have equal amounts of Intelligence and Faith, but is there a penalty for having different values? Say I have 30/30 Intelligence and Faith, will I do less damage if I add a point of Intelligence and have 31/30, or will the damage be unchanged? What if I have 99/30? Will I do less damage than 30/30 or the same?

It uses the lower of the two stats plain and simple

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

laplace posted:

From two pages back but the fact that the Way of the Blue is seriously just the Dark moon Blades sort of solidifies that Heide is Anor Londo in my mind. Lordran collapsed, fell into the sea. The way of the Blue 'originated in Heide'

Blues 'aren't a structured religion' and are supposedly just as evil as the criminals they execute. Sounds pretty Darkroom Bladey to me. That and the fact that they have the same overall function.

Heide looks nothing like Anor Londo, amd furthermore the Blue Sentinels only invade sinners on the side. Their main duty is protection. The implication is that outside Drangleic the descendant Blue Sentinels have corrupted into what are essentially gangsters but the originals are every bit as legitimately noble as Targray himself.

They have very little in common with the Darkmoon is what I am getting at here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Also man people are being way over generous calling Drangleic Castle the mid point. It's more like the 75% marker.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Crigit posted:

Revenge and justice are not the same thing. No matter how much we try to justify still having the death penalty on the books.

I think...this might be the wrong instance to pick that particular battle.

We're not talking about an ordered society where Licia can be put on trial and locked up or rehabilitated or whatever the actual gently caress. We're out in the middle of the loving wilderness in ye medieval tymes. Killing her is the objectively correct call :psyduck:

That it incurs sin is plain stupid

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FauxGateau posted:

She totally murdered a saint and stole their pants and their chime in order to fool people.

She also tries to murder you on several separate occasions, and given her psychotic serial killing you can only assume she'd have killed others given half the chance.

I'm really not seeing the upside to letting this lady live. When the best you can say about somebody is "Hey at least they're not as much of a loving lunatic as Navlaan" you ain't saying much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

laplace posted:

Also, they have the same exact model.

Also they both use the Idol's Chime.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I really don't think Durability is a very good system in this game. Or, more specifically, I don't think it works well in the context of other design decisions. Durability being quite limited, in theory, encourages the use of multiple weapons. Except your ability to experiment and try out new weapons is severely curtailed by the lack of availability of Titanite Shards in the early game. I think they went overboard on the rarity of Titanite Shards. Large Titanite Shards and up are in a fine place in terms of rarity, but there's really no reason for the baseline entry level materials to be so sparse when you have a system in place specifically designed to encourage players to branch out and not just use the same drat weapon all the time forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TGLT posted:

I dunno. The hood and robes look fairly different on the statues. The Garl Vinland lookalike is also way later in the game. Might be intended as a callback anyways though. At least, it's not as clear as the big ol' king ring doors.

It's almost like you can do a callback without literally suggesting X Thing exists in Y Universe.

pmchem posted:

All this Smelter Demon talk is baffling to me. I mean, I get that he's killing people, but I've never seen it happen. Killed him on two chars as host and a ~4-5 times as phantom. I haven't seen a single player die to him yet. Just 1 guy tanking and me firing lighting spears at him until he dies. Attacks that are easily rolled. He seemed like an easy boss compared to OIK or Pursuer, which some other people just steamroll.

You can't seriously be suggesting Smelter Demon is an easier boss than the Pursuer. You cannot be a real person.

Anyway, there's a large cross section of people who go "Man I don't know why everyone says X is so hard" and people who use magic extensively. Nine times out of ten, the people getting their poo poo wrecked aren't using magic at all.