Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

So does this mean the game will be playable on Thursday evening for us Americans?

I don't think so, the servers go live at 8:00 AM AEST on Friday, which is 6:00 PM Thursday EST. That message further up the page seems to mean that while the servers will be active worldwide, you still won't be able to play until the 25th in your time zone. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm so stoked for this game, I wasn't ever able to play Dark Souls because of GFWL/WIN 8 shenanigans, but having seen a couple friends play it quite a bit, I'm excited to fire this thing up get murdered over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

hey gang. this thread moves pretty fast! but I just killed the final boss queen curse lady, but somehow missed the doors of pharros completely and vendrick/some other things I'm sure I passed over before heading in to NG+.

I'm kind of stuck being unable to make a decision with my stats/playstyle lol. Used dual clubs for the 4 primal fires chunk of the game, then eventually switched to the large club, now I'm swapping between the LC and 2handing one club. I don't really have any problem with how well it's working(its working great) but I'm tryna diversify.

My question is at SL 124-125, and a sikkazz 40 points sunk in to STR, what are my options for [x]bows, hexes/maybe a miracle or two? Here's how my stats look

, just recently started loving around with pyromancies, but I'm thinking I want resonant flesh/weapon. Should I maybe ditch most of the str and imbue my club/LC and sink those points in to enough FTH/INT to hit the requirements? How farmable are the spices?

tldr- help a big babby convert the strength pancaking mongol into some sort of combo build. I don't really care much about the damage dealing hexes, more interested in the buffs than anything.

Unless you're willing to use a soul vessel, I wouldn't bother with hexes- it takes a significant investment in both int and faith to use- not to mention attunement. Miracles or Sorceries is probably the way to go.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Is it worth it to get affinity up to 5 spheres? With items, I'm sitting at 45 int, 32 faith. I'm going to get my int up to 50 for sure, but after that would I be better off putting points into faith to raise my dark bonus rather than keeping on going with int up to 60?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Anybody have any advice for using powerstance ultra-greatswords? I'm using (Ultra)Greatsword uninfused in my left hand, and dark pursuer's ultra greatsword in the right, both fully plussed out. I guess I'm winning about half of my PvP duels, but I'm still mostly just using my R1,L1, with an occasional R2 thrown in out of a roll. I like using Pursuers in the right hand so I can follow up with a powerstance swing, but I'm not sure if there's something I could be doing better.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

Welp. Just got invaded while hollow by this dipshit, who was invincible and did nothing but spam corrosive urns. I just quit out and reported him, like it will do anything.

That was the first time I had seen someone obviously cheating, but I'm hollow most of the time, which has been a solid opt-out up until now.

I had this happen for the first time yesterday. We had a decent fight, I was about to finish him off, and then he fires his urn-beam at me. loving toolbag.

Maybe the chance of him getting nailed on it isn't so bad, when I pulled up his profile, he already had 2 VAC bans active. :shrug:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Cleretic posted:

So, boss soul weapons. I want to make a character based around one, because they're awesome and I didn't get to use any of them in my first runthrough (pure sorceror; my equivalent DS1 character had the Moonlight Butterfly Horn as a sidearm, but since DS2 doesn't have an equivalent I went for the Enchanted Falchion).

What weapons would people suggest? I was probably going to go for a predominantly Strength-based build, but I'm not necessarily married to the idea. Are there any weapons people especially like, or think would be an interesting playstyle for someone who hasn't really experimented with anything DS2's introduced that isn't in sorcery?

I fell in love with the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword this playthrough. It has a unique moveset for it's one-handed R1- if you land the overhead, you can keep mashing R1 and keep them stunlocked until you run out of stamina. Also if you're powerstancing Ultra Greatswords, you can combo the Pursuer's R1 into the powerstance L1. At like 8.5 mil soul memory if I land that on somebody in PvP, odds are like 50/50 that they're just going to drop right there. :madmax:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

nohopeindope posted:

I want to do this. How much strength is needed for that sort of build? Also, what's the best off hand ultra great sword? Been enjoying poison cestuses and lightning maces lately so this would be a nice change of pace.

I'm not sure offhand how much you need since I'm out on my phone, but it's a lot. You'd might as well go whole hog and take 50 str and ~30 dex. I use the big (Ultra)Greatsword offhand uninfused, dark on the pursuers. Catching someone with the L1 as they come out of a roll gets me so hard.

Take a lot of vigor and vitality as well, you're gonna have to trade a lot. Both of mine are at 50.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

nohopeindope posted:

Oh ok. I'm only at 40 str, 25 Dex, 20 vigor, and 15 vit. Got a long way to go. Time to farm iron king

You can do it with less vigor (I still recommend high vigor though), but yeah you're definitely going to need a lot more vit. Ultras are heavy as balls, if you want to use them effectively and still wear good armor without fatrolling, you're gonna need at least like 40, along with royal soldiers ring and third dragon ring.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Alonne Greatbow has a bigger Dex bent (though is still basically a Quality weapon) and fires faster and uses less stamina in exchange for having less damage.
Dragonslayer Greatbow is unambiguously a Str weapon and is slower and uses more stamina, but does more damage.

Their requirements and weight and whatnot are different too, Dragonslayer requires less Dex and is much heavier. It's a build question first and then if you want to fire more or do more with one shot.

Don't you have to plant the Dragonslayer bow before you can fire it? I've always been under the impression that the Alonne Great Bow is better because of that alone. It's what I've been using on my current STR build at least.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

All that means is that it's slow to fire, basically. It's like a quarter-second difference, and the difference in damage between the two is pretty intense - it's around 100 points or so.

drat. Might be time to farm some more dragon bones. :v:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Goddammit, this is seriously going to be the only time I ever regretted not getting a season pass. :shepface:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Cephas posted:

I have a 40 Int character that focuses on meleeing with MLGS, Blue Flames, and a few melee-related sorceries like soul sword and the magic weapon spells. Are there any other weapons or spells that would help round this character out? I was thinking of leveling up the dragonrider twinblade so I'd have something beefier than blue flame to enchant. Is the dragonrider's bow worth it? My str and dex are sitting in the 20s right now.

I'd try to grab a Black Huntsmans (is this what it's called?) Bow instead. It's a stronger bow, and you don't have to waste dragon bone on it.

Speaking of bows, I tried out the Dragon slayer greatbow, and even with high str I still prefer allone. I love whipping it out and snapping off a kill shot in pvp, and I don't want to have to wait longer for an extra few points of damage. I mostly use it for executions and estus tag anyway.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEELSTAAAAAAAAAAAADT. :argh:

I wish I had a pic, but yesterday I died fighting ng+++ Rotten when he had literally no red left on his bar. He must have had like 0.5 hp left. :saddowns:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Welp, here's my Fashion Souls entry :v:

Gonna hit 15 million souls soon. I'm sort of torn on whether or not I want to just keep pvping and wait for the new DLC, or just go ahead and roll on into NG+. I know I'm way overleveled for NG+, but I killed a whole lot of Giant Lords for the twinkling titanite so... :shrug:

edit: tables

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Well it sure didn't take long for my low level pvp character to run out of dudes to kill in the belfries.

I miss the bellbros. :(

At launch nobody knew up from down, now everybody ignores the Belfry like the plague.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm wondering if the numbness nerf also counts toward weapon buffs. That wouldn't kill my str guy, but I'd need to tweak him a bit.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Is melee buffed now?

Melee alvays buff *cracks knuckles*

I think this leak is legit, FEEBLE CURSED ONE confirmed for Smash! :neckbeard:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ZZZorcerer posted:

After playing as a Hexer and dark orbing everything that looked funny I decided to make a str/dex melee. Any advises on things that would make my life easier ?
I'm using the mace now because of the low req and high damage but I'd like to use something different since that was the weapon my hexer used for most of my play through, any other weapon with good damage and maybe better range ?

Try picking up the bastard sword in FoFG and giving greatswords a try.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I've never done a spear playthrough so I tried some long sticks on NG+ and I have to say that Pate's Spear is really good, but I don't do PVP so YMMV.

I've been powerstancing it with washing pole (did not know you could do that until my friend found out :aaa:), and have been kicking rear end on the bridge with it. I love catching people off guard by switching from two-handed WP to Pate's running stab at the last second.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I really like the Fume Ultra Greatsword, but I guess its requirements make it so that at any reasonable level you're probably not going to be able to powerstance it. I'm using it in my main hand with Greatsword on offhand and they work well together with the mix of vertical and horizontal swings. In that context, it's just like the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword but with more reach, higher base damage and scaling, and a small but significant counter bonus. I like the delayed vertical on RT, it's good at tagging guys rolling away. :v:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I made it all the way down to Lair of the Imperfect before I found a second bonfire, it was a goddamn nightmare. :saddowns:

Also the first boss I fought was the Graverobbers. It took a friend pointing out that I can hit the switches to start up the elevators to make any progress. :doh:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Once you get over the hump and are working with a build you like, you're gonna be hooked. 250 hours across 6 separate playthroughs here. :shepface: The early game is just really hard because A) you have to learn what to do, and B) you're fighting against the math until you hit a decent level. Once you have 20 adaptability, you can beat just about anything in the game on skill alone.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
You have the syphilis? I'm asking because some of those guys might not really be there. Get checked maybe?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Acidian posted:

Actually, I think I might be gamer+. :smith:

I'm so sorry for your burden. I know what it's like. :(

Anyway I have no idea why your poo poo is breaking so quick. Do you miss and hit the wall a lot? You should definitely try to go for some backstabs, for most early game enemies that'll kill them right off regardless of what you're using.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

wait, third fire? The third bonfire (The Place Unbeknownst) is an optional area that you can't access until a bit later in the game. The first fire is called The Crestfallen's Retreat and the second is called Cardinal Tower.

Soldiers rest. Try picking up the bastard sword while you're there, that'll up your game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

whoops, that's the one I meant. The Place Unbeknownst is not accessible until um.... WAY later.

Even so, that's a strange recommendation to make. Anybody who is having trouble getting to Cardinal Tower is going to get their poo poo utterly ruined by the enemies in the Soldier's Rest area, and the Bastard Sword is going to take some major stat investment before it becomes usable.

Two-hand it. :colbert:

And you can totally just make a suicide run through there, that's what I just did yesterday on my CoC guy. I used it until I remembered that I forgot to use my petrified something. Now I've got a demon greathammer, and it trivialized everything before the Lost Sinner. :madmax:

Edit: Except the ruin sentinals. I've played this game through half a dozen times, and I still think they're one of the hardest bosses in the game for the time you get to them. It's easier if you summon guys, but then you run the risk of having some retard knock off the first one before you're ready for the other two.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 1, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tamayachi posted:

If the first sentinel falls off or gets knocked off, just wait a few seconds and he'll jump back up to the platform, unless someone else is down there and engages him for whatever reason.

I managed to get killed by his sweep when he jumped back up yesterday. I was using a homeward bone. :saddowns:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tamayachi posted:

Oh yeah, there's that part too :v:

I still say they're one of the hardest bosses. Of course I also rank the Gargoyles, Graverobbers, Throne Guys, and Skeleton Lords (with certain builds), as some of the harder ones. Seems like there's a common theme. :haw:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I loved Sir Alonne. I probably died more to him than any other boss in the game, but it's just such an amazingly satisfying fight. When I finally killed him I pumped my fist so hard I hit my elbow on the couch. I didn't have too much trouble with the Fume Knight though. :shrug: I died a few times using summons, and thrashed him with like half my flasks to spare when I took him on solo.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I had something similar happen at the start of two of my games, both times the shield got stuck blocking after leaving the witch hut. I just restarted the game both times and that fixed it. Try plugging the control into a different USB port?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Why in the gently caress would you want to lock guard? :psyduck: Or SPRINT for that matter :psyboom:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
GandalfTheBuff :black101:

This is what would have happened if Gandalf took the ring when Frodo offered, and then invited him to kiss it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Gandalf doesn't need to wear rings of life protection :colbert:

Hey, I just finished fighting an invader. :saddowns:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Wurzag posted:

I only have 9 estus uses on my current character and it's really bugging me as although I could just look the locations up it's been so long now I can't tell which ones I've missed.

I only managed to get twelve once, on my first characater. Every one I've played after that hovers somewhere between 7 and 9 depending on how thorough I was, I just kinda deal with it. :shrug:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
What's the deal with that Heihachi moveset anyway, is it just an unused moveset that was patched in at some point, or is that something we'll be getting in the last dlc?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Every ultra-greatsword buffed except for the ones I use :shepface:

cool changes all and all, it seems like they cranked up poise damage on just about everything. Did they ever fix poise btw? I haven't played more than occasionally since last summer.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

So SOTFS releases tomorrow right?

Yeah, but not until like 6:00 PM EST :saddowns:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vil posted:

I have multiple words to describe DS2's gargoyles. "Fun" is not one of them.

It's not the dodging that I struggled with, so much as finding some way of damaging them effectively (for more than pathetic chip damage), which wasn't also slow and/or short-range enough to leave me open to being smacked around by the 2-3 enemies around at any given time.

I'm sure the explanation is just that I'm irredeemably bad, of course, but in case there's room for improvement, I'm open to advice. Otherwise I'll typically go with my usual solution of skipping them until much later.

The gargoyles suck, for the time you're likely to run into them I think they're drat near the worst boss in the game. Ruins Sentinels are pretty bad too, until you find out that you can just kill the first sentinel on the platform before jumping down.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 31, 2015

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I never did get to the third DLC before. Between that, the enhanced graphics, and the new enemy placement/AI, I don't have any trouble justifying the upgrade. A friend of mine likened it to Master Quest. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's a fighting game thing that kind of spread out into every other multiplayer game