Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure what you mean by "fix". If you mean "made it like it works in Dks1" then no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I'd love it if someone could jump in and help me out with the Ivory King. I've summoned two people so far, and they both died to the knights in under a minute. :(

I'm sitting at about 4.8 million SM...

Edit: And yes, I have all four friendly knights.

Edit2: Almost got him with the two NPCs...he had about 10% left when he took me out.

Edit3: :toot: (Thanks Magus, if that was someone here. You done good.)

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 31, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Increase of counter damage on Chaos Blade of all things. I cannot believe what I just read.

Sorry fellas, I think it's fair to say that From loves katanas.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gologle posted:

WOW. They choose to buff katanas instead of nerf them. Stay free pvp.

I love how they kept nerfing magic into the ground but kept boosting katanas. Katanas which I could do 99% of some players' health with in a single attack last time I played.

Too bad they didn't boost the Ivory Straight Sword though. It's a cool weapon but not a very good one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Isn't the counter bonus on Chaos Blade 150?

What are they raising it to? Isn't it already tied for highest in the game with Key to the Embedded?

Maybe they're lowering the base attack power?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I haven't played this since a couple months before the last major patch, but I'm pretty excited for the SotFS; can anyone fill me in on the major covenant/matchmaking changes that I hear happened in the last patch? And if we're expecting any more of that, other than the max number of people playing together being 6 now?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

Alternatively just don't bother with Belfry Luna or the gargoyles because the Lost Sinner fight is easy enough even without the extra lockon range and you don't really get anything else worthwhile for doing it.

You get to fight the gargoyles which is the best reason :colbert:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You get to fight the gargoyles which is the best reason :colbert:

Yeah why would you actually skip one of the few actually fun boss fights.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Isn't the counter bonus on Chaos Blade 150?

What are they raising it to? Isn't it already tied for highest in the game with Key to the Embedded?

Maybe they're lowering the base attack power?

well, the heide greatlance/lance has a counterattack power of 160 so clearly the chaos blade wasn't strong enough

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone know if they are fixing faith builds/the lightning spears?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

TescoBag posted:

Anyone know if they are fixing faith builds/the lightning spears?
They did, now you can't cast them infinitely for insane damage anymore :D.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Yeah why would you actually skip one of the few actually fun boss fights.

You're funny guy ha ha.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Gargoyles own

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I do not like the Gargoyles fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simply Simon posted:

Unless you like eating herbs every two casts anyway. Though there's not a good reason to; most offensive magic is garbage now. Faster and easier to just stab them and save spells for Dark Orb (is there a reason to use resonant orb and the like again yet? It's been a while) and support stuff. Pyromancy's still okay though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 31, 2015

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So SOTFS releases tomorrow right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Unless you like eating herbs every two casts anyway. Though there's not a good reason to; most offensive magic is garbage now. Faster and easier to just stab them and save spells for Dark Orb (is there a reason to use resonant orb and the like again yet? It's been a while) and support stuff. Pyromancy's still okay though.

Sorcery works fine (except in the dlc I guess??? but there all magic is lackluster).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sorcery works fine (except in the dlc I guess??? but there all magic is lackluster).

Last time I ran through (which was admittedly months ago) I could either cast three or four Dark Orbs (or 3 resonant souls, didn't really matter), at which point they'd be in stab-range anyway, or just stab them once or twice in the same time it'd take to cast a Dark Orb and have it hit and keep moving. I guess I should have said I don't bother with the projectile spells anymore; I stick to the Greatswords and aoe pyromancy if I use any in combat, and the greatsword spells mostly just because I think they look cool.

e: Same with PVP, too. I could waste my time trying to trick the guy into getting hit by a spell with a series of other spells to try and herd them, or I could just stab him. When the netcode's not taking a poo poo and making lightning spears turn at 90 degree angles it's really easy to dodge magic.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 31, 2015

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

So SOTFS releases tomorrow right?

Yeah, but not until like 6:00 PM EST :saddowns:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
loving hell. Katana buff.

WHY.

e: lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxOyazb44EU&feature=youtu.be

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 31, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I have multiple words to describe DS2's gargoyles. "Fun" is not one of them.

It's not the dodging that I struggled with, so much as finding some way of damaging them effectively (for more than pathetic chip damage), which wasn't also slow and/or short-range enough to leave me open to being smacked around by the 2-3 enemies around at any given time.

I'm sure the explanation is just that I'm irredeemably bad, of course, but in case there's room for improvement, I'm open to advice. Otherwise I'll typically go with my usual solution of skipping them until much later.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vil posted:

I have multiple words to describe DS2's gargoyles. "Fun" is not one of them.

It's not the dodging that I struggled with, so much as finding some way of damaging them effectively (for more than pathetic chip damage), which wasn't also slow and/or short-range enough to leave me open to being smacked around by the 2-3 enemies around at any given time.

I'm sure the explanation is just that I'm irredeemably bad, of course, but in case there's room for improvement, I'm open to advice. Otherwise I'll typically go with my usual solution of skipping them until much later.

The gargoyles suck, for the time you're likely to run into them I think they're drat near the worst boss in the game. Ruins Sentinels are pretty bad too, until you find out that you can just kill the first sentinel on the platform before jumping down.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 31, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vil posted:

I'm sure the explanation is just that I'm irredeemably bad, of course, but in case there's room for improvement, I'm open to advice.

Nope. They're a lovely, badly-designed boss.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I'm going to buy the new Steam version of the game and play that instead of the old one. I stopped playing more than halfway through the game because too much of the content was forgettable and I lost interest. I bought the expansions around Christmas but the content is balls hard, especially once I forgot why I picked certain weapons or what attribute build was going to be.

The one thing I really enjoyed about the game was the ability to dress up and look like Arnold Schwarzenegger Conan and still be able to win the game and kill people in pvp. I must have spent about 2 weeks just playing in the rat covenant playground, and I found those to be fun too. If anything this game taught me to just play the way that is most fun rather than min-max and cheese fights.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Vermain posted:

Nope. They're a lovely, badly-designed boss.

I just wish they dropped the cool helmet, and the axe you got if you chopped their tail like in DS1. The spear you trade in for the boss soul is really mediocre.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

CountingWizard posted:

I'm going to buy the new Steam version of the game and play that instead of the old one. I stopped playing more than halfway through the game because too much of the content was forgettable and I lost interest. I bought the expansions around Christmas but the content is balls hard, especially once I forgot why I picked certain weapons or what attribute build was going to be.

The one thing I really enjoyed about the game was the ability to dress up and look like Arnold Schwarzenegger Conan and still be able to win the game and kill people in pvp. I must have spent about 2 weeks just playing in the rat covenant playground, and I found those to be fun too. If anything this game taught me to just play the way that is most fun rather than min-max and cheese fights.

From what I've heard about the new version, I think you should wait to hear someones genuine experience with it before throwing money at it.

It reeks of a money grab right now.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think it is the same situation people had with Metro Redux. 2033 was a completely new experience but LL had next to no changes besides a dlc only weapon in the main game. Even so I bought both because A4 is a dev studio I want to support. I want to support From, so I buy the latest rerelease of their Ponzi Scheme.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I never did get to the third DLC before. Between that, the enhanced graphics, and the new enemy placement/AI, I don't have any trouble justifying the upgrade. A friend of mine likened it to Master Quest. :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Get Innocuous! posted:

I just wish they dropped the cool helmet, and the axe you got if you chopped their tail like in DS1. The spear you trade in for the boss soul is really mediocre.

The lack of getting items when you chop off tails in dks2 is one of its biggest flaws imo.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Both the Gargoyles and Ruin Sentinels are good bosses. They are hard but fair and require you to pay attention to what you're doing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is the new enemy placement in First Sin going to be interesting/fun? or is it just adding enemies in to make it harder? Does anyone have any idea?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Gortarius posted:

From what I've heard about the new version, I think you should wait to hear someones genuine experience with it before throwing money at it.

You realize programmers have to get paid, right?

And integrating the DirectX11 API is non-trivial and doesn't overlap with the enhancements made for PS4/XBone.

That's essentially what you're paying for, the work required to technically improve the game in a substantial way.

Given From's post-release patching and continued support for the game, accusing them of a money grab is just stupid. I mean, it's one thing to say "I don't believe the features they are offering are worth the price they are asking for" but "money grab" implies they're being shitheads, which they're not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A money grab would be having buying the entire game again at 50 dollars be the only price option. But they didn't do that, so it's not a money grab. Easy peasy. I am looking forward to getting it for 20 dollars.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gortarius posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. I'm gonna wait a few days and THEN maybe buy depending on what everyone says about it. I'm probably gonna buy it anyways but I'm not going to jump head first at it.

I wouldn't call it a money grab though. Just an HD Re-Release I get at a discount.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Number19 posted:

Both the Gargoyles and Ruin Sentinels are good bosses. They are hard but fair and require you to pay attention to what you're doing.

The problem with the Gargoyles isn't that they're unfair - it's that the only safe way to attack them in melee is to get up to them, wait for both of them to use combos that roughly synchronize with eachother (which is a complete crapshoot, as they can combo 2-3 times randomly, unlike the Ruin Sentinels), and then attack one of them once or twice before running away from their attacks. This is coupled with the fact that they have flying and diving attacks on an angled rooftop, meaning that the camera is actively working against your attempts to keep both the flying one and the grounded one in sight. You have to guess when to dodge the majority of the time (especially if you're not playing with a mouse and can't angle the camera quickly). It's a tedious, poorly conceived endurance match that's intended to pad out the length of the game, and nothing more.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 1, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Reason posted:

Is the new enemy placement in First Sin going to be interesting/fun? or is it just adding enemies in to make it harder? Does anyone have any idea?

Depends on the case. Some places, like the room after the first encounter with Pate is going to be harder, since it's all the enemies rushing at you. Some other changes are lore-related, like having undead soldiers attacking the trees of the fallen giants. Some others are changes made for variety, like putting other kinds of enemies in the waterway that takes you to No Man's Wharf. Yet others are made with the intent of making some farming easier, like the NG+ Flexile Sentry helpers being enemies in regular NG just outside the ship. The changes to Heide will make it harder, that's for sure.

The fact that there's also new item placement and at least one new shortcut, it will kind of feel like playing a new Dark Souls game in a sense, as long as the mid- and late game are changed as much as the early game.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Simply Simon posted:

They were meant to reduce the casts by about 50% and increase the damage by 20%. Instead they reduced the casts and reduced the damage by 20% and have never fixed it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Azran posted:

Depends on the case. Some places, like the room after the first encounter with Pate is going to be harder, since it's all the enemies rushing at you. Some other changes are lore-related, like having undead soldiers attacking the trees of the fallen giants. Some others are changes made for variety, like putting other kinds of enemies in the waterway that takes you to No Man's Wharf. Yet others are made with the intent of making some farming easier, like the NG+ Flexile Sentry helpers being enemies in regular NG just outside the ship. The changes to Heide will make it harder, that's for sure.

The fact that there's also new item placement and at least one new shortcut, it will kind of feel like playing a new Dark Souls game in a sense, as long as the mid- and late game are changed as much as the early game.

Thanks for this, its hard to find reliable information on what exactly you're getting and what exactly the changes are, but this makes it seem like it will probably worth another play through.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TescoBag posted:

They were meant to reduce the casts by about 50% and increase the damage by 20%. Instead they reduced the casts and reduced the damage by 20% and have never fixed it.

Where did they say they meant to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Where did they say they meant to do this?

I believe the patch said the former but people quickly discovered that they instead did the latter possibly by accident. At least if I'm remembering it right.