Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can't say I'm surprised. The gutting of the lighting system felt deliberate, they didn't like what it did to gameplay and axed it because gameplay is ultimately the most important thing in Dark Souls. Or at least that's my guess. :shrug:

I think it might be a combination of gameplay and performance reasons on the old consoles, the lighting system shown in the previews was I think ONLY present in the limited areas they showed off in said previews, and when they scrapped it due to whatever reason, they never finished implementing it for the rest of the game, and having it in for only a very select few areas in the PC version would just be terrible and jarring, hence the lack of even the option in the PC port.

At least, this is what I've heard.

This might also explain the inconsistent behavior of light seen in a couple places in the Giant Bomb Dark Souls 2 PC video as remnants of the scrapped system not being fully removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Should I bother trying to play DS1 on the PC?

Have you ever played DS1 before?

If not, then it is absolutely a game worth playing, even with DS2 right around the corner, and even if you have, with the DSfix it looks and runs a good deal better on the PC than it did on consoles, and there are some other mods that exist as well.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008
People paranoid about VAC should keep in mind that it's probable VAC has been in all along, right from the start, and the store page was just in error, if you've used GeDeSaTo or other things you might be worried about at all you've already been flagged, assuming they actually ban for it [probably quite unlikely], VAC bans are delayed so you wouldn't know right away, after all, and if you've been flagged already, suddenly not using the thing won't make any difference, so if you've used it before there's no point in stopping now.

I've been using GeDeSaTo, even if DS2 didn't have VAC at first, I did play it since the patch with the tool on before I noticed VAC was on the store page list now, so if they do give out bans for it I'll be hit no matter what, might as well enjoy the improved eye candy.

I'm inclined to think they won't ban for it though, since programs that do similar things have been used for VAC enabled games before with no bans that were unwarranted.

I hear that A lot of the people who claimed to have been banned for using stuff like sweetFX turned out to have actually been using actual cheats alongside sweetFX and only tried to lie to get out of their bans, if this does result in massive amounts of false positive bans they will probably be reversed, since Durante's tool has a high profile as far as mods go, being covered by PCGamer and all, lots of folks probably use it.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

It wasn't. The VAC modules were not loaded.

Ah well, okay then, I didn't know.

Still, if you played with the tool since the patch, not realizing, that would be enough to flag you, assuming it was banworthy, no?

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Supposedly. No one really knows except Valve themselves.

So, you may as well test the waters. I'm taking a risk myself by using x360ce, even though a Valve mod did claim it won't trip it.

Well, I can't stand to go back to the vanilla graphics either way, and I'd rather take the what I think is a small risk, many folks have used sweetfx and other stuff similar to what Durante's tool does with VAC enabled games safely for years, and the only confirmed bans I've heard of were for using other actual cheats or mods that modified game code alongside the programs, possibly such things including texture mods, which are graphical mods, but could be used to cheat by making enemies say, neon pink, or walls transparent, etc.

Anyway, I'll let you all know if I get hit by VAC for Dark Souls 2, I don't mind serving as a canary.

Worst comes to worst, i'll get my DS2 MP fix on consoles and use the PC version for pretty gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Oh, right, I didn't know GeDoSaTo did AA injection. Thanks. :downs:

It also has some sweetfx style shaders, but Durante actually has some idea of how to make them look good, so they're much better than most overdone packs, but you can easily disable shaders in the .ini if you don't want them.

Do note there is some small risk using GeDeSaTo due to DS2 being VAC enabled, no one knows 100% for sure if it will result in VAC bans yet or not, since VAC bans are typically delayed, most likely it will be fine but use it with caution.

I'm going to go ahead and keep using it, if I do get a VAC ban I'll let the thread know.