Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

pmchem posted:

What do you guys think the best starting class is for a keyboard+mouse player who will be annoyed when he gets invaded?

Deprived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

When I came into the thread I was hoping for Dark Souls II news, not spoilery information about trap rooms and the like without spoiler tags :(

There won't be any more new news about the game, it's releasing in two days and the NDA has been lifted. Everything there is to know is out there. You might get reviews for the PC version on the day and maybe before, but everybody already knows how good the game is.

The most interesting recent articles are at PC Gamer, Durante's (the guy who did DSFix for the original game) done a few articles on it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Me and a friend unlocked and actually opened the game but it's just opening to a black screen for the both of us, a bit like how you'd open DS1 with the wrong DSfix config.
The game itself is hosed and isn't working.

edit no wait it's working now!

For some reason it won't play on my HDTV, it crashes everytime. But my desktop monitor is fine.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 24, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So where's the pre-order goodies then? None of the bonus items are in my inventory and there isn't a stash anywhere of some sort.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

You should get the items as soon as you make a character and get to the tutorial area if I remember right.

I'm at Heides tower of flame :v:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Smol posted:

So how good is it? Better or worse than Dark Souls?

People find it hard to agree whether Demon's or Dark Souls is the better game and happily Dark Souls II joins that discussion. It's probably the only series I know of where opinion is virtually split evenly across the board on each game. FROM knows exactly what makes the Souls games tick.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

With the weekend here, I really could do with that HDMI fix. It's an absolutely great port but they shouldn't have let that get past QA. It's such a ridiculous gently caress up and a glaringly obvious oversight. I know Namco has recently acknowledged the specific issue and has said a fix is on the way but why do I have a feeling it's going to take weeks instead of days?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

I rerolled as a sorceror. What would have the most immediate benefit on my ability to kill dudes? Sticking some titanite on my lovely starter staff? Leveling int?

Level attunement until you get two spell casting slots, then buy another soul arrow scroll off the old hag in FoFG to raise the cast amount to 60, just like sorcerers usually did in the original Dark Souls.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sorry I've committed the cardinal sin of suggesting your new favorite game might not be the absolute perfect apex of human entertainment, but it was an honest and sincere question about an issue that lots of people find important.

tl;dr - no u shut the hell up

You sounded like a retarded twat when you called the game a massive bait and switch, and if that's your idea of sincere then you need more practice asking questions. OK I guess. It happens for games in development all the time.
Everyone's enjoying the game for what it is while holdouts like you continue to bitch about it. With sweetfx or durante's addon, you can replicate a similar look.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

BastardySkull posted:

Just read some metacritic reviews to see why the user score there is so low and my lord. The game runs flawlessly for me but there are a bunch of people screaming about it being a 'broken port'. Anyone know why this is? One of the major complaints is that the game is bad with a mouse and keyboard? It isn't really meant to played that way (despite them trying to make m&kb more accessible).

The game currently doesn't work over HDMI connections, that's the big one that's pissing a lot of people off. It means it can't be played on HDTVs essentially, which is what quite a few were planning on doing.

It's fair to say it could be ported better, because to judge it as a port you'd have to have the console versions which means access to the HDTV which means most of these guys can't use their existing DS2 setup anymore. Understandable grievance really.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 27, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Stringbean posted:

Are these loving Sentinels suppose to be this hard. I keep summoning jerks and they keep getting their faces pushed in by these three.

Not killed them either yet, but it seems doable. I always stay on the first ledge to kill the lone sentinel, then drop down with my phantom bros to fight the other two in typical Souls fashion.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

This was the worst impulse buy ever. Crashes at startup. Whitescreen. Not a single one of the workarounds posted on the steam forums has had the slightest effect. Weak.

It's probably because you're playing over HDMI.

HDMI doesn't work for this game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

TheQat posted:

I saw a few red signs in the copse this evening. First I've seen though. Are those NPC or player?

Saw a red one in the FoFG next to the hag. That's just cruel/Dark Souls as a ton of new players would be summoning it, unwittingly bringing a hostile phantom into their world that's out for blood.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Maxmaps posted:

So am I finally developing schizophrenia or are there very specific areas in the game where you can hear soft, incomprehensible whispering? I was at the rocky top of No Man's Wharf and kept hearing it and getting creeped the gently caress out.

There's a couple of places that weird me the gently caress out and I just don't feel comfortable being there. The basement in the Majula mansion is one of them. Even with the skeleton dead it just feels wrong being down there.
If you look at the shattered pieces on the ground near the chest that held the soulvessel, it's in fact a smashed up Lordvessel.

There's a theory going around that Drangleic is some distortion of Lordran, both past and future.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sex Robot posted:

For the first month or so sure, but once the playerbase thins out to people who want to online regularly pickings are going to get slim fast.

I doubt that's going to happen. Demon's Souls, the first game in the series is five years old on last-generation hardware and still has summons and invasions everywhere at a wide range of levels. They were going to shut the servers down a couple of years ago and to this day they still run with no plan to stop for the foreseeable future.

Dark Souls II being on Steam is the best thing to happen for it, it's a great infrastructure with access to a huge number of players. It'll last years and years, especially with the enduring popularity of Demon's and Dark Souls I, and the occasional Steam sale.

PirateBob posted:

I just reached Lost Bastille, how long until I can get a Fragrant Brand Of Yore?

The branch is in a chest immediately after doing the end boss of the Lost Bastille region.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

So I just defeated The Lost Sinner and I seem to have reached a dead end in the whole area, is that it? do I turn around and start heading towards the the heildes towers of flame?

Also, is there something online I can look at to decide where I should use the Lockstones? I only have two, and so far I've reached up to the boss I just beat, so I'd like to know what doors are worth it.

If you haven't done Heide's Tower of Flame, you really should! It's usually only the second zone after the Forest for most players. Doing Heide's will open up a couple of other areas for you to explore, as well as some useful NPCs.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Jose posted:

Is there any way to get a cross hair for aiming spells when using the binoculars? My aim is pretty good but it would be nice not wasting 3 soul arrows getting it right. Or do I just need to get better at it so I don't need them?

I could have sworn I once saw beta footage of spell aiming with cross-hairs a long time ago, so I'd like to know this too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one room I have a problem (in the sense that I think it's shoddy design that has no place in a Souls game) and that's that particular one in Lost Bastille with 5+ flamberge soldiers. It just doesn't work from a gameplay point of view.

Funnily enough, I checked out the post you were quoting, which was quoting yet another post which is talking about the very same room.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The foggy area in shaded woods :stonk:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I gotta preface this: I really like this game, and it's a great improvement over Dark Souls 1 mechanics wise. But as a complete package it's more than a little disappointing simply due to the failures on the level design front. I feel like I've been fighting more or less the same enemies all game, bosses are all some variant of big armored melee motherfucker, areas are disjointed and make no sense in the context of each other. This feeds into the lore issues. These places aren't really fun to explore because they just don't mean anything like Lordran did. There's no personality to it, no logic. It's just really disappointing after Dark Souls 1 oozed atmosphere. :(

My reaction to collecting one of the Four Great Souls shouldn't be surprise that that was one of them.

I totally agree with this. The gameplay, mechanics and pretty much everything else is an improvement (especially the multiplayer, the phantoms gameplay is phenomenal), but the world and monster designs aren't as good as the original. You gain some, you lose some. Lordran just has that omniscience about it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Uuungh they updated the game with a patch that fixed the HDMI/crash on startup issue. Finally playing it on the big screen in 1080P compared to 1600x900 on my monitor for the last few days, and it's amazing. :magical:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Petrified Dragon Bones are such a bitch to farm, but at least I got real good at killing ogres in Aldia's Keep while doing it.

I got quite a few (as well as a poo poo ton of infusion stones) from trading smooth and silky stones with the birdies in Things Betwixt. Worth a try, especially if you love to use small soapstones like I do.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Is there another way to get the item if I don't let the scorpioness knock it down for me? It taunts my inner klepto.

It's just a flame butterfly, I would let your inner kleptomaniac suffer a little for a bit. Normally the tree is destroyed by tricking the boss into ramming against it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

ymgve posted:

Any tips for the three sentinels in the Lost Bastille? I've died so many times to them now that all the minions between the bonfire and the fog door has gone extinct (Which was a relief, gently caress when you mispulled and got five guys swarming you at once). I can easily deal with the first on the ledge, but when the two remaining ones attack me at once I end up pretty dead.

Try to use phantoms if you can, it makes it much easier. You basically have the gist of the fight down if you're already dealing with the first guy on the ledge.

Also, from your description of the spawns, it seems like you aren't using the shortcut to the boss (from McDuffy's fire, go forward, turn right shortly after the big guy who previously tried to kick the barrel down the stairs at you, then simply run and drop down into the door in the wall), which would save you a lot of time running back.

Handy youtube of the shortcut in question

If you're dying enough that the enemies have stopped spawning, it's probably a hint that you should try a different area for now, get some levels in.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 28, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

One more thing to add, if you have any ranged capabilities whatsoever, stay on the ledge and snipe the remaining two as much as you can.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I just hope that FROM has the rights to Dark Souls and not Bandai-Namco.

They do, Namco-Bandai just publishes the game in the US and the EU. FROM does all the legwork publishing the game in Japan, and fully owns the IP.

It's only Demon's Souls that FROM no longer has the rights to, which is why Dark Souls is called Dark Souls.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sex Robot posted:

So today I found myself in a dark forest... for some reason. Full of fat assholes with moon shaped sword... for some reason. And had to fight spooky skeleton boss no.1 and spooky skeleton boss no.2 who are there for... no reason.

Jesus this is depressing.

That's not even the worst forest in the game :allears:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Valley of Defilement 3.0 :gonk: :gonk: I can't see poo poo, I'm trying to light all the scones in pitch black darkness while all these innocuous statues are spitting goop at me and giant skinless dogs are tearing my testicles off.

Jack Trades posted:

There was a 7MB patch about 5 hours ago but I can't find any changelogs and steamdb.info doesn't shed any light at it either.

It fixed the HDMI issue for me.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah, he's in for a massive, massive surprise on a few of those.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Soul Greatsword is an amazing PvP spell.
I don't know how it's in the NG+ and upwards, but here down in 1M-SM land the amount of players that do not expect you to pull that out is unbelievable. Especially as it sometimes takes off a good 50-60% of their health.

I was wondering where that was, I've seen footage of it loads of times before the game came out and I remember thinking that was the coolest drat thing in the world. Was starting to think it didn't make the cut because until now nobody's ever mentioned it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

What's the best way to get to the other side of the gate near Duffy's fire in Lost Bastille that doesn't involve going to No Man's Wharf?

quote:

Yes and no, respectively. Infusions scale based on Int and/or Faith now, so if you aren't one of those builds then go non-infused all the way.

What about bleed infused weapons? I thought they would be good for Dex guys.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Demon's Souls is the atmosphere souls.
Dark Souls is the world souls.
Dark Souls II is the gameplay souls.

None of the games have that knockout punch that makes it the clear best game, and that's virtually impossible to find in any series, be it in movies or games. FROM did an outstanding job. I absolutely can't wait to see how they'll do DSIII, which will inevitably be designed with PS4/XOne in mind.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

For anyone who's using ENB graphics mod, how do you get it to work? I have the files in the game folder and the actual user interface is in the game (the menu that comes up when you press shift and enter) but none of the effects at all are actually enabled. A little help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty sure all of the Souls games actually start with English in mind. As in even the Japanese versions use the English VA.

This is harsh. Evaluate me

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

How hosed up would it be to hit someone with a Morningstar IRL? I bet that would really hurt

People used them in medieval times purely for the cruelty and intimidation factor. It pierced and dented pesky plated armor at the same time.

quote:

The only magic I don't think is broken in Dark Souls 2 is pure pyromancy. It has limited enough range and long enough cast times that you can't use it to trivialize nearly every encounter in the game.

The same could of applied to Dark Souls but you know, power within.

Combustion is powerful as hell, you can cheese virtually any encounter, including other players, with it. My strongest DS1 character is an SL1 dickwraith with a fully upgraded pyro flame and great combustion.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 3, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I log in just fine and can leave messages, summon/be summoned etc, but it seems very sparse today. I'm guessing that's directly related to the issues everyone else seems to be having? Today there were no summon signs to use in Huntsman's Copse at all, bar one small sign outside the second bonfire.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Tracula posted:

Its getting really goddamn annoying how poo poo the Steam servers have been getting on top of all the other garbage going on with Steam these days.

Rather unusual as before DS2 came out Steam has always been alright for me with the exception of HL2's launch. Steam is normally rock-solid.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Summons have dried up :smith: I can tell there's a lot of other players waiting for the same because when I put the soapstone down myself in the same space it gets used literally immediately.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Upmarket Mango posted:

How often am I supposed to come across new armor? I'm fighting the Pursuer and I still have the armor I started the game with. My dude is level 29 fwiw.

Pursuer is very very early on in the game. That said, immediately after killing him for the first time (assuming you're on the rise by the sea) you can drop down into the hole just ahead to pick up a full set of heavy armor.

Your armor isn't as important as you think, I know lots of guys who did several NGs in their starting gear because they like the look of it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

DING DING DING NEW SOULS GAME INCOMING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So far I made it to Drangleic Castle on my second character, a strength-based one using a Bastard Sword +10. I'm honestly surprised at how good a weapon it is. I haven't infused it or anything yet. Are there any other swords with the same moveset as it? It's quick, it's powerful and it doesn't leave you wide open nor does it 'bounce' off walls.