Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Did you fight two big cats that looked like Aava?

Did you go here? http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/frigid-outskirts

Lol, like they'd really just put two Aavas at the end of a co-op area.

Cavauro posted:

That web page is this year's halloween trick made by the Dark Souls community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Allegedly there are possibly still issues with durability if you hit multiple enemies at the same time or some other, similar factor.

Not 100% sure on that myself but I did notice while clearing out DLC3 that my King's UGS got half worn down at one point which is suspiciously low for one of the most durable weapons in the game. ...But that also might've been while I was doing the full Loyce Knight loops which do get long in the tooth and have the occasional hedgehogs to contend with so :shrug: The only other time it got that low was against Sinh, natch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You actually don't need a second bone fist. Power stancing it with a caestus will still get you the additional moves.

If I ever get the itch to go run through SOTFS it's going to be a punchy fist run for sure.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Happy Hedonist posted:

You don’t need it, but it’s all about the fashion.

:hmmyes:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And even then they still busted their asses to keep most of the areas internally consistent. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

blackguy32 posted:

Who else plummeted to their death as soon as they reached the gutter? The first time I played I couldn't see anything and made a misstep.

Yup. I tried keeping to the right when first presented with the toppled building, and it turns out that's the wrong way to go about it. Oops.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have no strong feelings on the raw mechanic itself, but I do generally dislike the weird, fetishy aspect of the whole thing. ...Which also exists in DS1 even without needing to actually level up via a firekeeper (I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if in an early draft you did).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:rolleyes:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like I'm in a significant minority for happily munching down boss souls. I do check to make sure they don't make anything interesting first, but 99% of the time it's nothing I want. And in 2 it's especially nbd since you can always pop an ascetic and grab another one.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

multijoe posted:

Souls items are even worse than regular RPG items because you've got a high chance of using a VERY RARE AND VALUABLE item in a boss fight, still losing and having lost the item for good. At least in a regular JRPG the item is only lost in a winning run, so you can use a megalixir or soma against a superboss without 'wasting' it

I think he meant the out and out soul items like Soul of a Fallen Warrior or whatever. (Which I find a bit :psyduck: but hey you do you, Simon.)

But yeah, DS2 especially went overboard with the highly limited/highly esoteric consumables. You could probably intuit a few specific places where having particular protections/resistances/whatever could be useful, but there really was never a time where I went "aha, good thing I have a stack of 8 <thing that boosts your bleed resistance>, now I can even the odds!" and even when I did there's almost always a ring that does the exact same thing. It's especially bad because, y'know, it's Dark Souls. You can't pause the game to go digging around in your bag of holding for just the right answer to the giant flaming hell dog that's barreling down on you or w/e. (And this general need for foreknowledge also limits their effectiveness in a PVP context - the one place where having the full spectrum of responses to various effects would make the most sense.)

And then once you get past all of that bullshit, oops you died to the boss anyway so bye bye precious Bright Bug you only get like, 12 of in the entire game.

I genuinely don't know what you'd actually use the DLC balms for. :shrug:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 12, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goblin week posted:

The balms are wild because apart from the strength one there’s literally only five of each in the entire game. What the gently caress lol. At least the brightbugs are so insanely OP that it makes sense to be limited. (There’s 26 of them btw. 18 from Melentia!)

I keep wondering if there's some wild edge case trick where being able to bump up a stat by 5 would do something cool and I've just got nothing. By the time I hit the DLC +5 strength would've boosted my damage by like...a low single digit, I think? Because of all the filtering down to attack modifiers and capping and scaling wonkiness. I guess they might be a boon if you're doing a SL1 run?

And there aren't 26 Bright Bugs, there's only like 12 because you don't ever think to buy any until 2/3rds of the way through the game so Melentia just eats most of them and then you forget they exist amongst all the other inventory clutter anyway. :negative: The bigger point is that they're clearly meant to be their attempt at an easy mode mechanic and it was implemented about as wonky as you'd expect it to be.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
DS2's covenants are super cool and I wish 3's weren't basically just "what slightly different flavor of PVP do you want?"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Go get the fifth one, that'll cut his health in half one last time. :troll:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

I did it once and it loving sucked. Never do it imo

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Brume Tower is definitely the hardest of the three, so yeah if you're getting sick of its poo poo try the other two.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Am I forgetting something fundamental about the layout of the Bastille or is there a weird Scholar change I'm not familiar with? Regardless of which way you come in, you can always hit up the bonfire in the hallway full of prison cells, can't you?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think what I'm forgetting is that the gate by McDuff only has a switch to open it from the Wharf side, otherwise you need to loop around and do a bunch of stuff, including opening the Antiquated Key door. That sound right?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The summons can actually put in work, but the problem is that they're unreliable because of RNG factors. You don't have to babysit them, per se, but you do have to at the bare minimum prevent them from being cornered in the first five seconds of the fight when the gank squad rushes in, which is usually easier said than done.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yooo maybe I'll do my fisticuffs run sooner than expected.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I know my wording was ambiguous but Vanquisher's Seal doesn't allow you to drop kick. :colbert:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glimpse posted:

Hilarious but unfortunate that the servers can't deal with the rush, because apparently I suck at this game and can't get past the fucken Pursuer in Forest in Fallen Giants, even though I just finished DS1 like 2 weeks ago.

Pursuer was consistently the hardest base game boss for me. I have no idea why.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

Pursuer is one of the enemies for whom strike damage is most useful. He laughs at your puny longsword+1

The thing is, my first playthrough was entirely big sticks. I think I wasn't being aggressive enough and was dodging wrong + timing can be tighter with big weapons. :shrug:

On the other hand, he sure does have a glass jaw. :getin: And big lol whenever he does his spell spam leaving himself open to being donkey punched relentlessly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Netcode has been a bit of a bitch here and there, but belfry invasions have felt relatively fair. I continue to be surprisingly decent at PVP. I even managed to intentionally guard break someone and it worked and everything! And thanks to all those invasions I already have my caestuses sitting pretty at +10. :getin:

Also I'm sure the combination of plentiful co-op, foreknowledge, and a killer build all help a ton but...Scholar has really felt easier than OG so far. There are certainly some changes that make things harder, but in equal measure a lot of other parts have been lightened up a bit. And they dumped so many new summons, especially all the new mid-area shades, that take a whole a lot of the sting out of certain areas/bosses.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Powerstanced maces are one of the most common, top-tier options you can take through the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
None of those links are working. :rip:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Blrghghl Freyja was being incredibly unkind to me. I'm so annoyed. That walk back takes forever, even with the full spider killing posse assembled.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GutBomb posted:

I just did this twice in a row using a bonfire ascetic and if you have a torch out the whole time you can literally just run past everything. Once you’re on NG+/bonfire intensity 2 you’ve got a couple enemies that the torch doesn’t repel so you’ll have to take care of them but it’s still pretty quick. Make sure you go from the chapel bonfire and not the lower one. The lower one is technically closer but it’s a much more treacherous path.

The lower bonfire route really isn't that big of a deal and you end up in the same place almost immediately anyway. Plus you pick up Bashful Ray on the way.

There are the handful of hollows down there either way, but yeah I guess I made things harder by forgetting to torch up. But I'm also assuming the summons would get caught up on the million spiders either way? Idk, I just wanted to enjoy the novelty of bringing 3 summons along for the ride. Spoilers, it turns out like a number of other fights they either do amazingly well or immediately eat poo poo and then keep eating poo poo until they die.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 1, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Speaking of punch-em-ups, I successfully made a dash for Flynn's Ring, which was slightly tricky but not overly so, and the Bone Fist which ugggghhh. The frozen knights have incredibly unfortunate hitboxes that are hard to consistently reach with just caestuses and of course you have to fight like 10 of them, twice, in order to get over to the dang cave and activate kung-fu mode. (And then I didn't have enough Dex to powerstance it, so I had to go fix that, oi.)

So...anyone have a quick and dirty guide to how to actually use the bone fist moveset effectively? :sweatdrop:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 1, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bellkeeping was pretty active (on PC, anyway), though it comes with the caveat that most people who trespass know what they're doing and are anticipating an honorable fight over shenanigans.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not at all a surprise, but Shrine of Amana still loving sucks. :negative:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

It's been a while, so grain of salt
- it has about half useful moves, half that are only flashy and don't do much
- the turn around in place one gives you a lot of hyper armor but doesn't do much damage, might knock over dudes? Probably not worth it
- running attack knocks anything over that can be knocked over, but beware that you don't launch yourself off a cliff
- do use the hadokens, they deal a good amount of damage
- L1 is your bread and butter (unsurprisingly)
- switch to two-handing the fist often, don't just lock in the powerstance. It has a different and also quite fun moveset

I wrapped up for the night, but I think I started to get the hang of it. The main thing that made it click was being able to choose between the full R2 combo or cutting into the L1 combo after the first punch. I do miss the wild speed of the double caestus L1 but otherwise it seems like the overall bread and butter attacks are similar in spirit, just flashier and with more commitment to the full animations. It's all very rhythmic and punishes mashing, which I've gotten bad about because the caestuses love that poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Blech, the base endgame is just not designed for punching. Endless bad hitboxes and enemies with too much poise.

They made Aldia's Keep uniquely unpleasant and stupid and even hosed with Dragon Aerie for some reason. I like the changes to the Dragon Shrine, at least. Also throughout that whole gauntlet I got invaded (and inevitably killed) three different times by extremely suspicious tryhard invaders, joy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gobblecoque posted:

If you haven't yet, it's very worthwhile to dive into eleum loyce to grab the bone fist. Aside from being an extremely fun and unique weapon it also solves the poise and range issues that the caestus sometimes runs into.

I'm already using it. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pursuer gave me so much hell first time around, this time I'm happy to see 'im since it generally means he's here to deliver some twinkling titanite to me.

I still struggled with the Smelter Demon arena one. I don't know why. I also get hit by the goddamn curse stab way too often.

On the flipside, I saved the first one for the end of Forest, summoned, and managed to catch him at exactly the right place and time as he was distracted to nail the final blow with a ballista and felt like a badass.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The Smelter Demon arena one is noticeably tougher than the others. I'm not sure if it's higher HP or defense or both, but my punches definitely took way less of his health bar than the others.

Yes, same exact experience.

I'd say the arena might have something to do with, but I clowned on the one in that tiny secret area in the Bastille, so...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Is co-op in the DLCs just naturally spotty atm or has my soul memory reached the hosed zone? I've seen fewer and fewer player signs despite the game saying the DLCs are all hotspots. And I seem to have become a real target for invaders too.

Honestly I think I might simply shelve my playthrough at this rate because I'm just not finding the bone fist anywhere near enough fun to fight my way through DLC2 and 3 with it, and doubly so if I'm not gonna get any bites for co-op on top of that. I was looking forward to helping people with the Ivory King for those Loyce souls and doing the co-op areas as they were intended. :(

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 4, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's a wildly different moveset. You pretty much straight-up get a series of fighting game combos. Even a hadouken if you powerstance it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Frida Call Me posted:

Pursuer everywhere is my favorite part of the DLC, you get twinkling titanite every time you win, so you can get 6 (enough for a +3 upgrade) after only doing things betwixted, forest of giants and lost bastille.

The Pursuer Everywhere system.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sir Tonk posted:

Are the rat covenant areas active at all? I've never tried it, but now seems like a good time if people are playing.

I tried for a little bit, but I suspect that you have to A) be around a very particular soul memory tier and B) incredibly patient because most people are going to be spending very little time in Graves or Doors. Then again, bell keeping is pretty active despite having similar limitations so maybe I was just unlucky/impatient. Edit: Or maybe I'm a dummy and don't understand how it works. :v:

Also I did figure out some of the problem with my bone fisting. It seems like you need to keep the stone ring on when doing Eleum Loyce, because all the various ice knights (except the very basic ones) have juuuuust enough poise and their hitboxes are juuuust hosed enough that it's incredibly unreliable to stunlock them. By comparison, the enemies in Shulva are more middle of the road and the ones in Brume absolutely crumple after the first hit.

That said, I think I'm calling it quits 'cuz I'm just plain tired of Raime's bullshit. And all that's ahead of me is Sir Alonne's (lesser, but worse runback) bullshit 'cuz I already did the Ivory King with a posse, which is still the most fun thing out of the DLCs.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oscar Wild posted:

Are people seeing summons regularly? I just found Vendrick and I get sommoned after like 10 minutes but I don't see hardly any summon signs.

You're right at the point where signs started to get vanishingly rare for me (not counting the DLC). I'm guessing it's because we're far enough into the event that the initial rush is dropping off, and also that that's right at the part of the endgame that's both badly paced and the most difficult, and immediately after that bottleneck you have the Giant Memories which you can't co-op anyway.

Basically anything after the Castle is guaranteed to be a crapshoot. I got a bite or two in the final third of Shrine, two or three in the Crypt, and then a long, frustrating stretch through the whole of Aldia's Keep and Dragon Aerie + Shrine seeing zero. Aside from folks always being ready to go at the King's Gate bonfire for the final boss(es), I wouldn't see any more co-op until the DLC, and even there it was a bit spotty for similar reasons.

Raygereio posted:

I know I'm very late to the party here, but I'm finally doing a full playthrough of Scholar, instead of the old vanilla game. And I'm honestly not sure yet which version of the game I prefer. There are definitely a lot of good changes in the new enemy placement and whatnot. But that number so far is pretty equal to my tally of "this is a dumb/obnoxious change".
I mean, what did they do to the Shaded Ruins? Did people really hate those lion dudes, or something?

I don't mind nu-Shaded Ruins pretty much at all, but yeah I think I've settled into a very similar position re: original vs. Scholar. I was leaning more and more towards Scholar up until I hit Aldia's, which is now just pointlessly cruel and tedious. The fact that their clever updates to Dragon Aerie were...1) allowing you to skip the entire thing and 2) copy and paste a hundred more of the exploding equipment break guys everywhere is dumb as hell and ruins that area completely. (Oh wait sorry they also tucked a single priest enemy away in a random corner for some reason??)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 7, 2021