Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I finally got around and beat Dark Souls, and want to take advantage of DS2's sale on Steam but I'm wondering, is it widely considered Scholar of the First Sin a better overall experience over vanilla? (I know vanilla isn't on sale). I'm between going straight to DS2 or trying to beat DS1 with a different build (from what I've read, NG+ doesn't offer much to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Allright guys, let's do this. Gonna start this one after being a STR focused dude on DS1. What would be a newbie friendly class and how this agility thing works to get my good rolling? I have right now the same "scary" feeling as DS1 :kiddo:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not a fan of spellcasting so I guess Knight and raise adp and a bit of att?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My aim is, str dude with sword and board with some mobility. In DS1 always kept the medium roll (or sometimes light one depending on the fight) while using the claymore or a halberd. Are halberds good on this game? I basically switched between the claymore, gargoyle halberd and a lighting halberd through 90% of DS1 depending on what I needed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Allright, loving DS2 so far. Combat feels much much better than DS1 even if at the start the roll/dodge is gimped but still. Managed to get a Fire Longsword +3 and the Club +3, did I gently caress up? I already got by roaming around and killing the giant (with help), pursuer and that dragon guy on the cathedral some stuff that I don't really know if it's worth keeping for a Knight (str/adp guy).

What I got so far:
-Fire longsword +3
-Club +3
-Bastard Sword
-Drangleic Sword
-Channeler's Trident (dex stuff)
-Whip (Castlevania!)

Got the Drangleic Shield that has that sweet 100% dmg reduction but for resistances the Large Leather Shield seems quite decent. What should I upgrade?

Edit: Should I buy an Estoc when I can? or just stick to one of the previous weapons?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 21, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

skasion posted:

The fire longsword is perfectly serviceable early game weapon so feel free to try out some of the others and see which you like best. The estoc is an excellent weapon for a strength build, it hits fast and pretty hard without weighing too much or having insane requirements.

As for shields, I don't really like using them to block unless they are greatshields -- it drains too much stamina for my liking, and they aren't as good at parrying as in DaS or DeS. I think it is more useful to have a shield with a good spread of resistances so that if you get caught out by a sudden bolt of lightning or homing soul arrow or whatever and don't have anywhere safe to dodge to, you have an "oh poo poo" button. Drangleic shield is also pretty heavy for the point in the game where you can get it and I find that I'd rather just carry an offhand weapon instead.

My main gripe is that while I'm leveling I have to spread the stat points WAY too much. Vigor, END, VIT, STR, some DEX (at least 12 to wield the Bastard Sword) and ADP. At the other hand leveling is much cheaper than DS1. The whole poise being nerfed to hell is annoying, elite armor does nothing so I'm using something lighter like the Alva armor set.

I joined the rat king covenant (gently caress that small arena plagued with little bastards) just to get to the rotten zone freely, did I gently caress up?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I found the Dragonslayer crescent Axe and while I like the moveset, my experience with axes on DS1 wasn't too good. I've read that people use this one on PVP, so might have a pve use afterall?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well, the difference is that axes in DS1 blow rear end while axes in DS2 have good and reasonable movesets.

Dragonslayer Crescent Axe is totally reasonable.

Upgraded it to +2, this poo poo hits really hard and is awesome for 1h+shield. What a good surprise as it has some lighting damage aswell.

Fake edit: Just checked wikidot, I upgraded it to +2 but seems that it retains lighting damage even if you upgrade it to any other way other than basic wich is really cool.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, I pretty much love this game. I'm glad I waited for so long to play DS1 so I could enjoy this game right after it. I kind of miss the interconnected world of DS1 but this game makes much more sense (cept for those loving petrified dudes blocking my path, that branches are hard to find :argh:). Will I get hosed if I use the branches as soon as I find petrified people? so far I used one where the dwarf with the blue sword was unlocking a big zone of forest (where the guys with huge guts and hollow knights are) and the one on the starting zone wich seemed to be really stupid to do.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I doubt that they softban people for that unless you have stuff that is impossible to get or something like that. Borderlands goons have been using cheat engine since its release to fix the loot drop rates or to level up weapons and never had issues with that. They're more aggressive towards "competitive" multiplayer games (they never gave a drat about steam card farming with the achievement manager).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Are they still softbanning people who use Cheat Engine to hack in items and equipment? I want to do another playthrough but I am dreading the grind for some of the rarer drops.

Edit: also, has the base game been modified since SotFS? New enemy placements and whatnot? Or is that only for the people who bought the game again?

Quoting this after my previous reply.

Is anyone using a PS4 controller or x360ce with DS2? To my surprise and despite being incredulous, people have been softbanned for using x360ce, streaming to twitch, using DS2fix or Fraps from what I've read. I have an old Fraps version and was messing around yesterday with it to make a gif and now I'm kinda scared since it looks like it takes a week to land said softban.

Did anyone get affected in this thread by that? It would suck to lose 20€ because they're retarded to recognise a screen capture software or a gamepad utility as a malicious software.

Edit: I don't think I "get" softbans, is that you just can't play online or can't play the game at all? Because I wouldn't give a gently caress as long as I can play solo since I don't PVP.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 24, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh, then I'm not going to worry if it ever happens. I'm completely fine with summoning NPCs and playing solo like I did with DS1.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't like pvp but I had to admit that I enjoyed a lot killing three grey invaders in Belfry Luna before one shotting the gargoyles. I used against the invaders a dark bandit axe and the trusty claymore when a guy with a halberd showed up. 105 agi owns hard since every time he missed and stumbled I crushed him down with it. The overhead chop of the bandit and dragonslayer crescent after a roll is loving metal with the stone ring to gently caress poise :black101:

I played 80% of DS1 in meat mode, in DS2 is always human or bust :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I found way easier to navigate around in DS2 because it says you clearly when you are blocked and should look elsewhere instead (petrified lads) or overleveled enemies for the zone. DS1 was more harsh in that regard where you could go to the graveyard next to Firelink, valley of the drakes or even the catacombs right after the undead asylum tutorial. To me is not a matter of DS1 or DS2 are better than the other when it comes to the world, they're both unique and worth revisiting. At this point, and for from having my first DS2 run over, I'm even thinking on picking SoTFS for my 360, so when I go to the beach, I can keep playing both souls games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Keep in mind that the 360 version of Scholar is basically just a GotY edition of vanilla DS2, so it'll be pretty different from what you're used to, DLC aside.

Seriously? I thought they improved 360's version too for the Scholar release, that's a bummer but also cool since I can wait until I get a Xbone and get it there instead.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

EC posted:

The 360 got the new NPC and last boss fight, but not the new enemy placements, summons, invader NPCs, presumably items (since they're based on killing invader NPCs) but I haven't tested that, and graphics upgrade.

I will say that going from 360 > PS4 was loving excellent. I'll also say there's a console specific thread if you're looking for buddies.

Thanks for the info. I'd probably stick with Microsoft since they announced the backwards compatibility, I can still play games (hopefully) like Burnout Paradise, Dragon's Dogma and a good bunch of others that I'm getting for free since I'm a gold subscriber. I like how the PS4 looks and that but I'd lose more if I jump platforms.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

I died way too many times to Armorer Dennis in the Fores of the Giants, he's usually my first death in new games :smith:

It was a painful fight for me until I realised that I could just run around corners and heal up. That and dual wielding a morning star with a club for fast hitting then running.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ruggington posted:

poison arrows are god-tier

I've gone through Iron Keep as a pure str char with poison arrows because gently caress the knights there. 3-4 poison arrows dealt enough to drain them while they ran at me. I barely used arrows on DS1 but on DS2 I feel they're more useful as a tool.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Soooooo, I have a few questions regarding wich armor should I use since I have the Alva set upgraded to +5 and farmed to get the Elite Knight to +5 aswell. After some farming, got the full Alonne Knight set wich from what I see, looks really nice when it comes to physical damage but nothing great against magic and is slightly heavier than the Elite Knight one.

Right now I'm after Iron Keep and going to head to Shaded woods and I'm wondering what set should I stick upgrading. I mainly go with 1h+shield or "powerstance" two normal weapons like the bandit axe, battle axe, morning star and longsword. I have a claymore and bastard sword but looking at the overall faster combat in DS2, not even the Zwei can cut it. I rather have faster weapons and powerstance two of them than going with a huge rear end sword (I can't stand the greatsword).

I love the bandit axe (have a dark damage one) with a fire battle axe and they own bones and the damage from the morning star is awesome with that bleed damage added but should I focus on these weapons? Atm I have them all between +4 and +6 but I'm kind of confused if I should just use normal versions or infused with elemental damage. In DS1 was simpler since I mostly used a claymore then a lighting halberd for like 90% of the game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few palestones to revert the infusions so I'll use them.

What's the to-go site to post builds and items? So I can post later when I'm at home my setup.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Here, probably. We've got lots of resident experts on all the games in the series. Hell, I could probably give you all the setups you'd need alone.

Sorry I meant a good talent calculator (ala MMO ones and so) wich is SoTFS updated because some items changed like the stat bonuses on the Zwei. I didn't explain myself correctly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ok, I'm at home and this is my guy after a lot of soul farming (I usually have the Covetous Silver ring +1 to get more souls and unequip stuff to be lighter).

Note that on the rings, I have the +1 versions and looks like the calculator thinks I'm using the +2 so I have slightly less hp and sta recovery.

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/20219

I have the following stuff as alternative for that:
-Alva set
-Alonne Knight set
-Dark Leather + bandit mask set
-Claymore and Bastard sword
-Zweihander and Greatsword
-Large club
-Stone ring
-Ring of Giants
-Ring of the Evil eye +1
-Old Leo Ring
-Covetous Gold Serpent Ring
-Covetous Silver Serpent Ring +1
-Silvercat ring
-Redeye ring.

I think that's it.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 2, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm actually enjoying the poo poo out of smaller weapons in this game (well, smaller as in straight swords, axes and that stuff) instead of greatswords, ultras or big rear end clubs. My actual setup is Bandit axe + Red Rust Scimitar on off-hand (the one from Vengarl's head after beating his body), is loving awesome, the Scimitar has great and fast strikes hard to dodge and a parry animation while the Bandit Axe has to be my favourite weapon in DS2 so far. The Varangian sword also owns and is very usable both 1h+shield or with another weapon to create a really nice moveset.

I ended infusing my claymore with lighting because I reached Duke's Dear Freya and had no elemental weapons (well, the old rear end fire longsword) and I had the NPCs taking it so I could just 2h the thing and smash freely most of the time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Soul Reaver posted:

So, I got Scholar of the First Sin only a little while ago, having loved Dark Souls 1.

Having played Dark Souls 1 on PC, I immediately checked if there was a dsfix available. Turns out there was, ds2fix64. Since the original was pretty much mandatory, I downloaded it and put it in my folder like I was asked.

Was playing away happily, but noticed that it was very hard to summon/get summoned. Eventually got summoned by someone, did some jolly co-op. Later the guy messages me, asks me if I'd been banned, since apparently he thought he'd been 'softbanned' for using a cheat engine. Wasn't sure what that was about.

In the meantime I've looked this up, and apparently you can get softbanned for using any mods, even ds2fix64 (which, if I understand right, is only there to stop other peoples' hacked items from crashing your game).

Admittedly, I can't be SURE I've been softbanned - but juding from the lack of summon signs/invasions and the fact that the guy that messaged me said he'd been using a cheat engine, it's not looking good. I've emailed Namco Bandai to confirm.

I specifically waited for Scholar of the First Sin before buying and playing - I'm feeling an immense sense of disappointment right now. Am I just up poo poo creek without a paddle because I played a game without reading every forum/reddit/whatever post about it beforehand and discovering a utilitarian bugfix mod would get me banned?

Don't worry. I think my softban arrived for using fraps since I barely see summon signs. The game is fully functional and I don't give a drat since I can still pvp or go to the belfry zones and get grey invaders. Just enjoy since eventually there will be more banned players than normal as fraps, cheat engine, twitch.tv recording, ds2fix and even mumble overlay (nvidia shadowplay can softban you too) are not allowed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Smol posted:

I have a hard time believing these this-and-this-software-got-me-softbanned stories. For every person claiming that they got banned for using certain software, there's 5 people saying that they didn't. The process must be deterministic, it makes no sense at all to From to actively try to detect library injection and then randomly ban only some people for doing it.

There's a long list of applications that fit on what they call "hooks" and varies between overlays, recording tools, gamepad tools such as x360ce, betterDS3... Even if you use cheat engine, is lazyness on the dev's side.

You can believe it or not but a good bunch of speed runners got softbanned just by streaming on twitch and using BetterDS3.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I reached SL150 :darksouls:. Should I keep leveling up if I don't care about pvp? I might start leveling up a bit but don't know what. Here's my dude:

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/20737

Should I push DEX more so I get more bonuses from my weapons? Or level up caster stats so I can use some stuff as backup (like pyromancy).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know that this isn't the best thread to ask but, what the hell is that pantreon or patreon thing?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Pursuer's Greatsword is some serious stuff, the backstep upper swing stuns or at least breaks guard on a lot of enemies (pve), it may not be the best but I rather use it over any UGS.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know if i'll find better looking armor but after killing Vendrick and going to the ice shithole and clear everything I can (poo poo is frozen yo) until I unlock more zones there, this is how my dude looks right now. Wearing armor always under 70% load and based on how looks is more fun than trying to min/max like a sperg, also Black Knight Ultra Greatsword owns in the ice shithole DLC zone.

https://www.fashion-souls.com/?g=m&Head=110&Chest=285&Arms=7&Legs=363

Pair this with a Black Knight Greatsword and Drakekeeper's Greatshield and you have an awesome looking set.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It could be worse, backstab some guy two times in a row with a heide's lance after dodging his greatsword slams and notice he recieves no damage at all. Thank you scripts or whatever people like to run in god mode.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Small and Blue posted:

Invaders are actually at a disadvantage in a 1v1 because the host can use estus. I suppose having enemies be friendly to you counts as an advantage if you catch the host by suprise but since there is a time limit on invasions the host can always just retreat to the closest bonfire to wait the invader out or summon help.

I'm absolutely garbage and inexperienced when it comes to PVP. Hell, yesterday I tried a bunch on Iron Keep's bridge and only won 4 out of 7 "duels" and was thanks to the Estoc. As far as I know, you can't rest on a bonfire while being invaded so, what gives retreating to it? I ask because I have no idea if there is something more than just getting killed and respawn close to it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ah well that makes sense. Once thing I like from this game is that somehow "forces" you to be human if you don't like to have less hp because I spent 80% of my DS1 playtime as hollow because unless you wanted to summon a shadow for a boss, was mostly pointless.

One thing I give From credit is the NPC invasions, sometimes I get angry because a motherfucking red phantom invades me on the worst situation possible but then I realise that is cool and next time I just gently caress him over. At the other hand invasions can be bullshit like some guy that invaded me twice yesterday and had a vantage point being a caster so yes, it was trying to fight him or hide behind a corner for 15 minutes wich isn't fun at all. How can a guy with Dark Hail hit me for like 50% of my health when I'm not being hit by all the orbs but I backstab him twice for 40% of his hp.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I understand that. Also some guy had the bad luck of invading me when I was farming Scorpioness Najka (bonfire ascetic) for the ring and had both manscorpion and the other dude summoned, but hey, invading has no penalty afterall.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I stuck with the Rat covenant because it gave me the freedom of walking through a zone without having to fight through it to get to Blighttown 2.0 and Doors of Pharros being a walk in the park (wich I didn't know it would happen but handy anyways).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My new sport, using pursuer's greatsword and sending people over the railing on the bridge or over some ledge. A guy tried to friend me on steam because he invaded me three times and all three times met the lava.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Or spin with a halberd or greathammer (I love the Gyrm Great Hammer's spin). Clobbering time!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I died once in there and was because I rolled to the water :v:

Didn't find that zone hard compared to others but I quite like it because you fight vikings and the whole small village inside a cavern with a big ship in. It also has the bandit axe and Varangian sword wich are two of my favourite DS2 weapons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not going to PVP (well at my SM I highly doubt that I can find people). But on PVE, after reaching 50str, I'll be getting 50dex to get weapons with good Str/Dex scaling hit like trucks. I may end powerstancing claymores if the thing goes right or Claymore + Estoc. 2x Battle Axes with high Str/Dex outscales the bandit axe and is an awesome combo too. Red Rust Scimitar+Varangian uses the Scimitar moveset while powerstanced and owns bones.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For example, when I started playing DS2, with a knight with less than 70% load I would get hit all the time while rolling and get really frustrated until I asked here to raise agility to at least 96 (105 is the sweet spot in my opinion). With 105 I can roll away from most poo poo thrown at me considering that I'm not a great player. Stamina will be your cap, so having a decent pool will help staying alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Bandit Axe was one of my most used weapons during my first playthrough, I think I mentioned that I powerstanced the Red Rust Scimitar + Varangian Sword because it uses the scimitar moveset wich is drat cool. The Bandit Axe is nice to powerstance with either the Battle Axe (wich has slightly lower damage but longer reach) but I mainly used it 1h+shield.

I want to make a new character, something new to me, a caster since everything I played on Dark Souls 1 and 2 was pure melee (well, a Knight with pyromancy as "backup" on DS1 once). What kind of caster is dumb-proof?