Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

TheRagamuffin posted:

Are you within the window to steam refund it?

I doubt it. It sat in my library for a while (I wanted to finish Bioshock 2 first) and I've played it solid for several hours (including multiple restarts with new characters because I felt like I was messing up the start) before I ran into this guy who messaged me.

When I played, I thought the lack of summon signs etc might have been normal - I never experienced the game otherwise, and thought it might just be because I was late to the party/living in a different timezone from most people. It wasn't until this guy messaged me that I began to suspect something might be up.

Besides, I actually want to play the game. I'd much rather play it without being softbanned though.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filler Bunny
Jul 16, 2003

dat one portagee posted:

Rapiers are pretty one of the best weapon classes in the game. You can win a fair amount of pvp matches just by putting on the Leo ring+ring of blades+any kind of buff and countering peoples attacks

Stone/robflynn/TDR is outrageously overpowered. I specc'd into that and wore the black witch robe, monastery headpiece, cale's shoes with espada ropera and i got honestly bored with winning.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Soul Reaver posted:

I doubt it. It sat in my library for a while (I wanted to finish Bioshock 2 first) and I've played it solid for several hours (including multiple restarts with new characters because I felt like I was messing up the start) before I ran into this guy who messaged me.

When I played, I thought the lack of summon signs etc might have been normal - I never experienced the game otherwise, and thought it might just be because I was late to the party/living in a different timezone from most people. It wasn't until this guy messaged me that I began to suspect something might be up.

Besides, I actually want to play the game. I'd much rather play it without being softbanned though.

Family share it to a new account.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

The Iron Rose posted:

Family share it to a new account.

Interesting, I've seen this suggested too. But I do think it's stupid that I have to create a while new account just for this game... though I'll do this if nothing else works.

If Namco confirms the ban, is there any way to contact From about it, apologize for using the mod and ask for a shred of mercy? Any chance of that even working? I'd much prefer that to having to set up new Steam accounts etc.

It all feels a little unfair.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 7, 2015

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

They don't give a poo poo.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Correct.

From is absolutely ridiculous and refuses to fix a crash exploit that has persisted for over a year now. They then ban you for not wanting to risk being chain-crashed by some rear end in a top hat (who stands a somewhat fair chance of not being banned for this) and forced to use a Bone of Order, which only shows up legitimately once every couple of hours in Things Betwixt.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nobody has any idea how exactly the softbans work, but however they do, they're mostly bullshit. tallgeese or someone had some info about it awhile ago and it's pretty hard to tell if they have any kind of "system" for figuring out who to softban or if it's pretty much just random who they catch. To say nothing of how stupid the things they softban for can be, while turbo hackers don't even get noticed.

Another problem is that the only way to be sure if you've been softbanned is to ask directly, except that only encourages them to look at you and see all the dirty hacks you've been up to (this filthy software you're using to play with a PS3 controller is :siren: clearly dangerous :siren:) and it also probably carries the implication of "why are they asking if they haven't done anything wrong." Your best bet is probably to do the family sharing workaround, don't contact them and don't use that mod. I don't know what it is but I've never had another player crash me ever in either SOTFS or original dark souls 2. Unlike dark souls 1 on PC it's actually perfectly playable with no mods.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Don't try to transfer your save either. That also has a good chance of making you eat another softban in short order, but, like all things softban, this is brutally inconsistent.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Tallgeese posted:

Correct.

From is absolutely ridiculous and refuses to fix a crash exploit that has persisted for over a year now. They then ban you for not wanting to risk being chain-crashed by some rear end in a top hat (who stands a somewhat fair chance of not being banned for this) and forced to use a Bone of Order, which only shows up legitimately once every couple of hours in Things Betwixt.

I'm assuming this crash exploit isn't the same as getting softbanned for a mod (ie, using the Bone of Order won't help me any).

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Nobody has any idea how exactly the softbans work, but however they do, they're mostly bullshit. tallgeese or someone had some info about it awhile ago and it's pretty hard to tell if they have any kind of "system" for figuring out who to softban or if it's pretty much just random who they catch. To say nothing of how stupid the things they softban for can be, while turbo hackers don't even get noticed.

Another problem is that the only way to be sure if you've been softbanned is to ask directly, except that only encourages them to look at you and see all the dirty hacks you've been up to (this filthy software you're using to play with a PS3 controller is :siren: clearly dangerous :siren:) and it also probably carries the implication of "why are they asking if they haven't done anything wrong." Your best bet is probably to do the family sharing workaround, don't contact them and don't use that mod. I don't know what it is but I've never had another player crash me ever in either SOTFS or original dark souls 2. Unlike dark souls 1 on PC it's actually perfectly playable with no mods.

Too late re: contacting Namco, I already emailed them yesterday. Haven't tried with From though. Maybe it's not worth even trying. I literally only used DS2Fix64, nothing else. I just wanted to play it bug-free, that's all (and sounds like it's not even crucial).

Never before in all my many years of gaming have I ever cheated at a multiplayer game. And now I (probably) get permanently and silently 'exiled' from a major part of the gampelay from a newly-bought game for installing a bugfix mod with absolutely no official recourse? What a lovely loving abomination of a company.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They still have XBox 360 button prompts on their third attempt at releasing a Dark Souls game on PC, of course they're terrible at this.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Soul Reaver posted:

I'm assuming this crash exploit isn't the same as getting softbanned for a mod (ie, using the Bone of Order won't help me any).

Too late re: contacting Namco, I already emailed them yesterday. Haven't tried with From though. Maybe it's not worth even trying. I literally only used DS2Fix64, nothing else. I just wanted to play it bug-free, that's all (and sounds like it's not even crucial).

Right on all counts.

Namco can't help you, From doesn't care.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

Don't try to transfer your save either. That also has a good chance of making you eat another softban in short order, but, like all things softban, this is brutally inconsistent.

This combos prettily shittily with the lack of cloud saves.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh no, I'll be more specific. Don't try to transfer saves between accounts.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Soul Reaver posted:

So, I got Scholar of the First Sin only a little while ago, having loved Dark Souls 1.

Having played Dark Souls 1 on PC, I immediately checked if there was a dsfix available. Turns out there was, ds2fix64. Since the original was pretty much mandatory, I downloaded it and put it in my folder like I was asked.

Was playing away happily, but noticed that it was very hard to summon/get summoned. Eventually got summoned by someone, did some jolly co-op. Later the guy messages me, asks me if I'd been banned, since apparently he thought he'd been 'softbanned' for using a cheat engine. Wasn't sure what that was about.

In the meantime I've looked this up, and apparently you can get softbanned for using any mods, even ds2fix64 (which, if I understand right, is only there to stop other peoples' hacked items from crashing your game).

Admittedly, I can't be SURE I've been softbanned - but juding from the lack of summon signs/invasions and the fact that the guy that messaged me said he'd been using a cheat engine, it's not looking good. I've emailed Namco Bandai to confirm.

I specifically waited for Scholar of the First Sin before buying and playing - I'm feeling an immense sense of disappointment right now. Am I just up poo poo creek without a paddle because I played a game without reading every forum/reddit/whatever post about it beforehand and discovering a utilitarian bugfix mod would get me banned?

Don't worry. I think my softban arrived for using fraps since I barely see summon signs. The game is fully functional and I don't give a drat since I can still pvp or go to the belfry zones and get grey invaders. Just enjoy since eventually there will be more banned players than normal as fraps, cheat engine, twitch.tv recording, ds2fix and even mumble overlay (nvidia shadowplay can softban you too) are not allowed.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I have a hard time believing these this-and-this-software-got-me-softbanned stories. For every person claiming that they got banned for using certain software, there's 5 people saying that they didn't. The process must be deterministic, it makes no sense at all to From to actively try to detect library injection and then randomly ban only some people for doing it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Why does it have to make sense? It's From.

They have literally allowed a crash exploit to sit unpatched for a year, even through a remake/remastered edition. That really says it all.

The other problem is that eur0pa, maker of ds2fix, has dodged a ban for a long time. If the process is entirely automatic that is absolutely impossible for obvious reasons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Smol posted:

I have a hard time believing these this-and-this-software-got-me-softbanned stories. For every person claiming that they got banned for using certain software, there's 5 people saying that they didn't. The process must be deterministic, it makes no sense at all to From to actively try to detect library injection and then randomly ban only some people for doing it.

There's a long list of applications that fit on what they call "hooks" and varies between overlays, recording tools, gamepad tools such as x360ce, betterDS3... Even if you use cheat engine, is lazyness on the dev's side.

You can believe it or not but a good bunch of speed runners got softbanned just by streaming on twitch and using BetterDS3.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Smol posted:

The process must be deterministic

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I reached SL150 :darksouls:. Should I keep leveling up if I don't care about pvp? I might start leveling up a bit but don't know what. Here's my dude:

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/20737

Should I push DEX more so I get more bonuses from my weapons? Or level up caster stats so I can use some stuff as backup (like pyromancy).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I reached SL150 :darksouls:. Should I keep leveling up if I don't care about pvp? I might start leveling up a bit but don't know what. Here's my dude:

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/20737

Should I push DEX more so I get more bonuses from my weapons? Or level up caster stats so I can use some stuff as backup (like pyromancy).

If you're just playing the game to slay bosses and do NG++ there is no reason not to keep leveling. Unless you're planning to wear the Agape Ring forever just spend those souls on improving your character. I have a character in the SL270 range and the Iron Keep bridge is still covered in red and dragon signs, and I can do bluecop invasions there regularly too.

e: getting some attunement slots for pyromancies wouldn't be a bad idea

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
all your heroes are dead and possibly scam artists

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Oooh, ouch. I watched his 'Prepare to Cry' stuff on Youtube back when I was playing Dark Souls 1 and thought they were rather interesting/good.

Good thing I don't go around supporting people on Patreon etc.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm not a huge fan of Vaati because his videos carry an air of smugness re: how ~deep~ Dark Souls is that I don't think is really necessary to have in regards to a video game, so I guess I'm glad I have a reason to dislike him not based on personal taste now.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Well now I don't feel bad about listening to that Bonfireside Chat episode and thinking, "wow, this guy has nothing good to say"

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I've always found that all those youtuber lore videos boil down to mind-numbingly obvious poo poo, or insane leaps of logic that flies in the face of everything the game tells you. Good riddance.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I am not particularly surprised, even as someone who doesn't follow these ridiculous lore videos. When you make that much content about vapid nonsense, you start cribbing from other people since you start running out of ideas. Then, if you get a reputation and you have to keep pumping it out to keep attention on you, sometimes you get a bit more brazen.

Hopefully his Patreon gets eviscerated, but I'm not optimistic.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 8, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Vaati responded here, you can read it if you want. His defense of certain things is a little bit pathetic:

Vaati re: the lucatiel video clip posted:

Side-by-side, these two clips are similar. But they're two 10-second clips from a 13-minute video, and we're both drawing from the same limited source material. I have a library of videos now that use the same camera & dialogue techniques. I can't really defend myself beyond this. I absolutely did not "plagiarise" your work, nor do I need to. I'm not struggling to come up with creative ways to represent scenes, or arrange dialogue. I'm not scouring the internet for ideas I can steal. There's no need, I enjoy thinking of creative ways to represent the script.

"Our videos using the exact same shot in every way down to the equipment + location + actions was definitely coincidental because it just was ok. I do a lot of video work"

Vaati re: selective responses to criticism posted:

I don't regularly browse reddit. You compare me to a corporate PR rep. You call it a tactic. My lack of response isn't some carefully planned out damage control..I don't check a lot of my social media. It's too overwhelming. Anyone would think it's overwhelming. I have time to respond to quite a few tweets and YouTube comments, but I don't participate too much beyond that. Everyone is different.

"I check all of these social media sources regularly but I don't check social media regularly"

Vaati re: plagarising DMCRedgrave's Bloodborne essay posted:

When I started researching / writing the Story:Explained video, things were a bit different than in previous Souls games. Bloodborne has a much clearer timeline & plot compared to Dark Souls..especially when you talk about the Byrgenwerth scholars and the different sections of the church. If you read all the item descriptions and dialogue, you actually realise that there isn't much room for debate here. So I was really confident when I published my video!

"It's ok that I used the same passages and phrasing because the game supports the words being said, so it doesn't matter whose mouth they are from tbh"

Vaati re: trying to exist outside the community posted:

I exist within this community just like everybody else does. I'll read hundreds of hate comments today because of what you wrote. Already received a few death threats. It's these sorts of things that have driven people out of the community, and that's sad. But i'm confident in what i've created, and no-one can take that from me

"I'm a human being just like you, feel bad for me because of what you have brought on me (I didn't bring it on myself though it was you)"

edit: His entire section on the plagarism software is kinda telling because he doesn't actually address the real argument at all.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 8, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

He did not have sexual relations with that story.

fakeedit: can you get any more textbook in useless damage control that sounds even more incriminating

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 8, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is he just that guy who makes those 40-minute lore videos about the item description of the pig shield or whatever that I always scroll past on youtube? Why do people watch his videos?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is he just that guy who makes those 40-minute lore videos about the item description of the pig shield or whatever that I always scroll past on youtube? Why do people watch his videos?

The whole phenomenon started because people were confused on a lot of lore in Dark Souls, which is fair, because it's fairly labyrinthine and vague. It started out as the usual stuff like "who was the Firstborn" and "why does Priscilla exist" but then they kinda ran out of stuff and had to go into increasingly contrived descriptions and eventually started making stuff up effectively wholesale, but managed to keep going entirely due to cult of personality/Youtube superstar kind of stuff. Then Patreons started getting involved and :rolleyes:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know that this isn't the best thread to ask but, what the hell is that pantreon or patreon thing?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

A website where you pay people a monthly fee of your choice and be a "patron of the arts". Vaati is currently netting about $6k per month from that site.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought some of the lore stuff was interesting and supportable by the text, like the Painted World being the realm of Velka and the depository for things which offend the gods of Anor Londo, but then alot of other things seemed to be fairly reaching and also his voice really annoys me, he tried way too hard to sound mysterious and spooky

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I sorta liked the Lore videos, at least the first batch with stuff that was easily found in the game's text and descriptions.
The reaching stuff is just overblown and always felt very forced though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Death threat on lore videos LOL

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solaire is the firstborn

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Glad im not the only one who doesn't care for Vaati's stuff. His Bloodborne Explained swings from super obvious to :wtf: reaching bullshit. Guy does have a cool voice, though.

vaati thief, so what

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Smol posted:

A website where you pay people a monthly fee of your choice and be a "patron of the arts". Vaati is currently netting about $6k per month from that site.

:eyepop:

Until I read this, I thought this was all probably a bunch of overblown horseshit, but when you realize the kind of money involved, that definitely gives him a motive.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

ENBs lore stuff was cool, mainly because he always presented it as "here's my opinion on it, this is just my opinion yall", and not "the fact is seath raped gywnevere and thus we got priscilla no arguments"/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Honestly though, I find those plagiarism accusations fairly weak. That guy has done tons of videos, right? If he was such a big hack, it shouldn't be hard to find more convincing examples. That Aslatiel of Mirrah bit especially, she has like 3 suitable lines you can use for a scene like that and how else are you supposed to stage a fight between them if not in that Aldia's Keep hallway.

And what the hell was that part about the podcast. The guy apparently wasn't entertaining there, therefore he steals my stuff???