Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I've heard dual-caestus punching build is fairly decent, while on the other hand I've also heard claws are not very good at all.

Don't remember the exact thing behind but it's something to do with the fact that while the Caestus is techinally a fist weapon it differs in some gameplay way (maybe just the damage type since it's strike based) from the other fist type weapons which all happen to be claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA The Dragon Rider was the most loving pathetic thing.

Considering there's a very easy trick to make him kill himself, yes this statement is 100% accurate.

His armour is cool as hell though :allears:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Genocyber posted:

The real reason you're not getting much action is because no one is getting invaded. Because it's so time consuming to get red orbs in ng, it's very rare to be invaded by a red (I think I've been invaded by reds in ng a total of 5 times in my several hundred hours of play).

Even then the Way of the Blue/Blue Sentinel relationship is pretty borked and unrealiable.

Unless you get really unlucky you don't have to be worried about being invaded, more so this early in the game's release well that is until you walk into one of the Belfries :unsmigghh: Saw a guy already walking round with the full Bell Keeper's set at the bonfire.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So wanting to confirm this, your invasion/summon name is now tied to your actual character name as apposed to your account name?

Can I call my character Bert The Soup Chef and invade people with dual Ladles :allears:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Too long. Pizzalawyer420 is about all you can get in.

A Soup Chef will have to do but good god why would want I to play any other game now, that's amazing! So many possible gimmicks :swoon:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Oh I don't have any issues with them, I just think the whole "Dude shooting at you while you try to do something else" mechanic is very overused.

I'm in Drangleic Castle, so...

Try poison.

Seriously poison arrows are so useful in this game.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Hahah :v:

I just reached Lost Bastille, how long until I can get a Fragrant Brand Of Yore?

You get it from the boss that's in the next area, not too far off now.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

So I just defeated The Lost Sinner and I seem to have reached a dead end in the whole area, is that it? do I turn around and start heading towards the the heildes towers of flame?

Heide's Tower of Flame is just an alternative route to get to The Lost Sinner. You should go through it and the next area for some neat items.

Also did you go to the end of the area? There should have been a chest and a bonfire which you should light, there's also an item in the chest which you should read its description.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Wanna say after doing my first run through on the console using the Heide's Sword as my go to weapon for the majority of the game (it's the Drake Sword, but it never actually drops off!), doing a playthrough on the PC and using a Mace is insane. It's so good, I underestimated all the praise it was getting but it's amazing. If you're running a strength character grab a Mace.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Like I said, I think it's unfair in a way that Dark Souls 1 wasn't. There's a difference between being harsh and dropping a dozen enemies on you from a blind angle that you had no way of noticing beforehand.

There's one instance of this in particular in the Harvest Valley which made me tell the game to gently caress right off.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

After the Lost Sinner, you can use the Fragrant Branch of Yore to un-petrify someone. Either that woman blocking the path or that dude in the Bastille who will trade for boss souls. It's kind of your choice, the path being blocked is kind of a dead end until later in the game when you have the four souls and another big item.

That ain't entirely correct, you need to go down that path to get to one of the four souls.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait, you only get one and have to pick? Well, poo poo.

You get mutiple, don't worry. In fact you get more than you actually need in the game and they don't transfer over to NG+

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

This lack of shards/large titanite shards is starting to bug me. I have 40 chunks of titanite, and want to stop using the fire longsword, but it's better than the rest of my stuff because I put all my shards into the longsword and sorcerer's staff. I can only use a handful of other weapons at 16 str/10 dex, but I don't want to level up yet because I can't use those other weapons anyway. I feel like in DS1 I had way more options far earlier when playing as a battlemage, until I settled on the furysword.

Personally I like the fact at the start of the game you only have a limited amount of things you can upgrade, but I can understand why it would be annoying.

If it is REALLY bugging you, start going through Huntman's Copse and the areas after that, which can be accessed after doing Heide's Tower of Flame.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 27, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

bug but hole :heysexy:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Merrill Grinch posted:

There's nothing like Dark Souls to make me feel old and bad at videogames. At SL 75 I really should be able to beat down the Pursuer, yet he is my white whale. I look forward to the Youtube video of some loon beating him while naked and level 1 to truly rub the salt in the wound.

Well... NG+ Spoilers.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

After playing PvP for a couple of hours, I can confirm the ratio of player's skill level to how anime their character name is.

I killed so many animes :anime:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

how is your armor transparent like that? is that a pickup item?

It's given to you by the armour merchant in Majula after a series of events.

It's a cool armour set, the transparent set increases your total equip load. There is also a visable set.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

You know, being Ratbro'ed is annoying as hell but actually doing the Ratbro'ing is amazing experience. Everyone needs to do Ratbro'ing at least once, it likes you're leading your own strike team that get to be giant assholes and mess with people.

I can't think of any game that lets me lead a party of rats, dwarves, and elephants.

Oh and base building as well, it's great :allears:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I got to the Door to the Pharos for the first time and after killing the giant elephant dude Gavlan came down the stairs and attacked me, I though we were bros :sad: . I ran for the bonfire so I wouldn't have to kill him. Any idea what could cause this? And am I basically poo poo out of luck for selling him my junk or buying his?

That wasn't Gavlan.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Right, because all dwarves look the same to you.

Racist.

They're not dwarves, they're Gyrm you moron :colbert:

They are totally dwarves.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Somebody talk heavy armour to me. Where do I go after Elite Knight Set? I have a single piece each of Old Knight and Heide Knight, as well as an almost complete set of Dranleic while wearing a Tower Shield +3 and want to make a tanky Black Iron Tarkus style sunbro character.

The armour merchant in Majula sells it after you've bought some of his wares. The more you buy from him the more his inventory grows.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Party Alarm posted:

What about a scimitar and hook? :haw:

Seriously I need to know this :stare:

Dual Work Hook Captain Hook will work out the same though, what's some good pirate looking clothes?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Ah, Captain **ok.

FROM I hate you so much :negative:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Reading this thread I realized I'm gonna fight some guy called Old Iron King. I did not expect him to look like that :stare:.

Before I faced him someone in the console thread said he looked and acted like the most video game-esc boss possible, and yep he kind of is.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Someone put together an album with all (or most/a lot) of NPC faces in the game. Neat stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/1vznV

I never noticed the Giant Lord wearing a tiny crown :allears:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Randler posted:

Great Shield question: How screwed am I when I one-hand the shield for blocking while not having the required strength?

Your guard will break right away and you will be boned if I'm remembering right.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I haven't played this yet, but I loved and beat DS1 multiple times. Are miracles and stuff more powerful now? They seemed pretty gimmicky in the first other than that lovely aoe stun everyone spammed in PVP.

Wrath of God is still as bad as ever, it's just stupidly hard to get now :downs:

All magics got a bit of an overhaul and are more useful now, you won't be sniping people with lightning spears (well you can actually) but you can throw them like no tomorrow.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Are red spirit invasions more rare in Dark Souls 2? I've been playing for a while now (doing earthen peak and shaded woods) and haven't had a single invasion as of yet.

Soul Memory kind of made random invasions less common place in DS2, most PvP is done now in either the arenas or the few PvP related areas.

From what I've read this will change once you reach NG+, I've played the game for about 100+ hours now and I have only gotten invaded by a red phantom twice.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So how terrible are powerstanced giant clubs?

EDIT: Everytime I think a weapon might be fun to use I find out it has terrible durability :(

Being able to actually dual wield giant clubs is the real achievement.

A guy in the console thread that they're not great but will one shot kill anyone dumb enough to actually walk into them, which to be fair is a lot of players :v:

I wanna find out if dual wielding Pikes is fun, all that reach.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 6, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Ronnz posted:

Please tell me that past the Rat King isn't the Gutter

:unsmigghh:

Don't worry though you won't have NG+ the next area, also just keeping running back and forth between the two ends of the room killing a single rat each time until the Vanguard himself drops down, it makes the fight piss easy.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Has there been a patch I wasn't aware of, poison seems to be way less effective now, that and I seemed to remember needing 50 Rat Tails for Ratbros as apposed to 35.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

david... posted:

Edit: Just fought a very obvious hacker called Hansolo too that used a firesword, if you see him around just jump off a bridge, it's quicker.

Or better yet, push him off the bridge. People who hack are dumb and are bad at the game, this is what Dark Souls 1 on the PC taught me.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Can any lore wizards conjecture some significance to these bird/Horus statues in the Heide Tower/COB?

Easy, bird statues are Velka. Velka was the god that hunted down sinners in DS1, Blue Sentinels hunt down sinners in DS2, Sentinels have their roots in Velka.

Boom.

More proof for Velka, Pursuer rides around on a big raven, he hunts down sinners. Basically birds = cops in Dark Souls lore.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 17, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

^ Best Souls without doubt ^

Artificer posted:

Hahah, what, are those last armor selections purely based on aesthetics?

I love how you ignored the entire point of the orginal post of wearing what you think is cool :allears:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

From the weird corpses department:

Did somebody say wierd corpses?

I've got more :v:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The amazing thing is that the corpses seem to get up to these shenanigans whenever you're not looking at them. Leave a corpse alone for long enough and it does... that.

Agreed.

tongue but hole

Internet Kraken posted:

I see grym corpses do poo poo like this all the time. Something is messed up with their models. Maybe its all the alcohol.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I like Brightstone as an area overall but I think it being a vertical designed level that requires you to warp back to the top of it multiple times if you wish to 100% complete it is amazingly stupid.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh hey maybe that's why they put that bonfire there - so people without homeward bones could actually get out without dying.

A bonfire most people miss.

And it doesn't stop it from being super annoying.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I've been getting some strange graphics bugs which I'll screenshot for reference, not anything like giant purple blocks floating in the air. Just things like on the opening screen all the online information details are overlapping eachother and the face pictures for people I try to summon are replaced with big ol' text and numbers.

I haven't modded my game by the way, but this only started happening for me once I met a hacker online.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Try verifying your cache.

Will do, for reference this is my online information screen in two pictures, they are flickering between each other so fast I can't catch them with a single screenshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jose posted:

So where do the bonewheel skeletons spawn on Skeleton Lords? The rest of the fight is easy but I keep dying to them. Last time I did this I had 2 summons

Know the Skeleton Lord with the Big Staff, when you kill him the Bonewheels will spawn round his corpse so have a good idea of where you killed him.

RBA Starblade posted:

Try verifying your cache.

Also just did this, didn't work. Is there a support thing I can contact? It's not a major issue I just want it fixed.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 24, 2014