Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Zedd posted:

Can sombody help me identify the missing pieces in this outfit?

- Crown of the Sunken King
- Xanthous Chest
- ?
- Engraved Gauntlets

- Weapons ?

Those look like Wanderer Boots to me, and he's dual wielding Chaos Blades I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

uh by the way, which bonfire do I ascetic to respawn the chariot?

The one right after, next to the Brotherhood of Blood covenant guy.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I have seen a video a guy doing this.

I only dump the starter DLC items in the box and carry everything else :shrug:

I guess the hassle of having to go through an entire inventory full of crap is made up by having your entire fashion souls arsenal available at all times.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Might be a thing with the Winged Spear, because I had a lot of PvE success with the two-handed bastard sword R1->R2 combination precisely because they chained well together.

You can chain R1s into R2s but you can't chain R2s into R1s like in DS1. Before they would flow seamlessly, but in DSII there's an awkward pause before you can use a light attack again.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

My head breaks over .1 second increases of invincibility frames. Does it *really* make that big a difference?

It can make the difference between rolling through an attack safely or just getting killed mid-roll. It will also give you extra leniency when you don't time a dodge perfectly.
With low agility you have to be a lot more conservative with your play because I'm a lot of situations you just won't be able to roll into many attacks in order to place yourself in a position to counterattack quickly,having to rely on just blocking or rolling backwards, which leaves you in a worse position.

Also, average to decent fighting game players usually hit button presses with a 1/30th of a second window reliably and with ease, 0.1 seconds is 3 times that (added on top of an already existing amount of iframes, so yeah, it's a huge thing).

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Is “powerstancing” just using a sword 2 handed or is it more than that?

Regular two handing is one thing, powerstancing is a mechanic unique to DS2 where you get special dual wielding attacks.

You unlock powerstance by getting 1.5x the stat requirements for both equipped weapons. Say you have a sword that requires 12Str 10Dex and a dagger that requires 8Str 4dex. Then you would need 12Str x 1.5 = 18str and 10dex x 1.5 = 15Dex (from the weapon with the higher requirements)

When you meet the requirement, hold Y like you would to twohand your left hand weapon and instead you'll enter a special stance where LB and LT will be special dual wielding attacks.

Depending on which weapons you equip you will get different movesets that generally deal a lot more damage at a higher stamina cost.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok that rules. What are the stat breakpoints to shoot for? And my buddy keeps talking about DS2 hex builds, what is a hex build?

Str and Dex both get the most benefits from levels until 40, you get diminishing returns after that. Having 40 in Str and/or Dex will let you use most weapons and get you the most bang for your buck scaling wise. You can go over those softcaps if you want to meet the requirements for a specific weapon though (this applies mostly to the gigantic Str weapons).

Hexes scale from both Int and Faith but the scaling value will be determined by the lowest of those two stats, so you want to level them evenly. Hex builds hit like a truck and are a lot of fun, you also get the versatility of dabbling in sorcery and or miracles if you want. The softcap for dark damage is at 30/30 Int/Faith but you can go higher to meet reqs and get some extra damage as well.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

For powerstancing you need your stats to be 1.5 times the required stats for each weapon your holding and it’ll automatically replace two-handing your RH weapon?

No, it will replace two-handing your LH weapon though.

Holding Y instead of tapping is the "twohand LH weapon" input by default, but if you meet the powerstance requirements you will go into that instead (you'll notice it because your character angles up his LH weapon a bit to enter a unique stance).

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Unpopular opinion: DS2 just has way too many goddamn greatswords.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

I like that there are two categories for greatswords: semi-practical and anime huge

I'm not even counting the ultra greatswords, just the regular ones. DS2 has 23.

You have 42 Big Swords™ in total if you also count the anime huge and curvy big swords.

73 if you count the smaller big swords and the tiny pocket sneaky big swords. That's a lot o' slashing, smashing, swirling, spinning and stabbing.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2021

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the translation on the Ring of Whispers is a bit dodgy, though it could also simply be classic From cryptic bullshit.

The ring is also just kind of bizarre and largely useless outside of speaking to Tark. Feels like a remnant of something that got cut up from the original plans.

Well it helps if for some reason you want to know if there's an enemy within 10 blocks because it will spam that annoying roar sound at you throughout the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

I don't hate Liurnia but it does feel slightly too big for how much stuff is in it. I always get a little bored traversing the central lake itself.

I love Liurnia, but I didn't even know the lobster snipers existed until my second character*

Just didn't run into any and I'm pretty big on exploring, there's so much swamp and so many possible paths to take you'll just miss big stuff unless methodically sweeping the place. Not really a problem though, one of the things I loved about ER at launch was talking to my friend about it and finding out he had a completely different set of experiences with almost no overlap over the first 15 hours.

*Probably a good thing depending on who you ask. Also didn't run into the revenant, so lucky me?