Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm currently reading through the thread but am about 3000 posts behind the curve. I have a question though, I was just bumming around the tower of flame helping some bros do some damage when I got summoned into a world where all the enemies did a billion times more damage and had about double health. That and there were 2 separate invaders but they were just chilling, there was no '****sucker420supreme has invaded'

Can anyone shed any light on what went on here??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

quote:

:words: bonfire ascetics

Thanks chaps, it was confusing running up to those massive knights and doing gently caress all damage compared to usual. Man it kinda sucks you can get pulled along for something like that when you're not really that good at the game, luckily you don't lose anything though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Could someone please explain to me just what the deal is with Belfry Luna I mean just what am I supposed to be doing? I talked to the guy on the door but he's clearly mental and I go wander about and get attacked despite supposedly being friends with door dude...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

South American copies are region-locked to South America, IIRC. Do not buy Dark Souls 2 from Nuuvem unless you are in South America.

Yeah this is bullshit, I'm sat in the UK and bought it from Nuuvem for a princely £24.36 and it works perfectly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Last night I decided to go back to this and managed to get past scorpion lady on towards Pharros and Tseldora where I summoned a fella who very helpfully got me through the back end of that area until I got smashed by the boss for standing in the wrong spot when it threw a temper tantrum. A few attempts later after I killed it I decided to hang around as it seemed there were very few summon signs at that door (there were none at all) and I wanted to help some people out.

About 10 minutes later after helping a couple of people out that same guy that helped me summoned my help on his first attempt at the boss and we ran rings round it, it felt great to help him out. As I disappeared out of the world he threw a 'very good' carving and it made me smile. I love poo poo like this. :3:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 17, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dear Lords of the Souls, I request your help.

I've been slogging through this game bit by bit for the past month and I've just gotten past Velstadt. I've been playing through the entire game with a (now magic infused) mace and occasionally a bow because.......... I don't know really.

What do I do next after Velstadt and would you recommend any weaponry in particular? I started out as a swordsman but for some reason went strength instead of dex. I'm currently 44STR 20DEX with decent chunks gone into VGR, END and VIT at level 138.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 2, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dumb idiot noob question:

I just bought the Scholar expansion, should it start up as an entire new game? I thought it was just an addition to DS2 rather than a new thing entirely. I still haven't finished plain Jane DS2 yet, do I have to start over or have I somehow hosed up along the line?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

HGH posted:

No, it's a whole new game, listed as a 10$ "upgrade" if you own the original. Lots of overhauling of areas, progress and equipment.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's a re-release of DS2 with all the DLC and generally changed/expanded content throughout.

Cool, as long as I haven't hosed something up somewhere then. Cheers!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I picked up a PS5 on Friday so of course I decide to use it to play DS2 :v:

Currently getting my poo poo pushed in at No Man's Wharf. Had a little assistance from a guy just chilling down by the docks which was nice and after he disappeared (small sign guy) I battled up to the top to ring the bell. I return to Majula to get some levels and note the monument which counts player deaths is on 448,877,230 which is an absurd amount.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Dark souls 2 was the first souls I played and I loved it to bits. Played the poo poo out of it. Replaying it more recently my biggest gripe is how ugly the game looks, lots of flat boring textures over walls and poo poo.

This just meant it ran like a dream on my lovely laptop and didn't look weirdly poo poo like DS did on it. That's probably why I spent a lot more time with it than the original.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm not his biggest fan but it's DS2 so I'm going to watch to see how he copes with all the bullshit :lol:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Souls games should bring back life gems for PvE stuff and the inevitable swamp sections.

I barely chugged at all in DS2, life gem popper like it was going out of fashion for that delicious regen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Lifegems in DS2 honestly spoiled me, I used to crack a few and use the regen to tank stuff. And the just like that Lifegems were taken away from us in the rest of the series :'(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

They were kinda op unfortunately...

You say this like I wasn't constantly getting hosed up regardless of my never-ending supply. 😭

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, the small white soapstone is wonderful for getting your max health back. It is genuinely shocking to me that Fromsoft didn't bring that one back for the later games - it's so nice to be able to help someone through a level and then peace out so that they can heal before the boss and summon some fresh help.

It's the one thing I missed massively as 3 came out. Like bro I am bad at this boss and will likely be a hindrance but I can get you to the bonfire next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

It's arguably the "best" implementation of durability in that it makes durability actually matter...

Yeah but is it still linked to framerate and interactions with enemies? I seem to recall if you were running at 60fps and bonked a corpse it would shred your durability.

*edit: I guess not considering there's mods for the PC version to adjust it.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 23, 2024