Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So something interesting for people who played Dark Souls - Illusionary walls are different in Dark Souls 2. Instead of smacking the wall with a weapon, you need to walk up to them and hit the same button that you use to pick up items. I had to actually look that up online because I couldn't believe that I hadn't found a single fake wall even though I'd run across 10+ messages about them.

There are also other types of walls that can be destroyed in various ways, and some walls that need to have a specific device activated before they can be destroyed.

Edit:

tRIDAV posted:

What the gently caress is up with weapon durability. My broadsword broke twice inside 30 minutes inside Forest of Giants. Is this going to be a thing now where I constantly have to warp back to Majula to repair my weapon every time I even see a bonfire?

Your weapons repair to full durability whenever you rest at a bonfire. However, if you fully break a weapon, then you have to go to a smith to get it repaired. A good policy is to keep a backup weapon for weapons that break easily, or just use more durable weapons in the first place. I really like this change because it makes you actually care about the durability of your weapons, as opposed to it being a pointless time/soul sink that didn't even cost enough to dent the wallet in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sober posted:

So having never used the co-op/invasion stuff in DS1, this poo poo is blowing my mind. It is fun as gently caress, don't know why I skipped over it.

Just curious though, it seems like you should be doing it for souls - primarily since you can now despawn areas, so you're better off jumping into someone's game who might not have gotten there yet. But let's say two years down the line, are parts of the game going to get relaxed a bit (patches, nerfs, buffs?) so when there is the inevitable population drop, you can still playing it mostly solo? Or by that point is the game so thoroughly picked apart that if you can't do the MP parts, someone will have figured something out? (I came in very late into DkS1's life).

Quick question - do you plan on completely clearing out every single area in the game over twelve times? If not, then you really don't have to worry about it. Also, there exists both NG+ and a mechanic to respawn npcs at a higher level, so you're never truly going to run out of stuff to fight.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Both Yahtzee and a friend of mine complained about bosses just being "dudes in armor" and they were right, at least from what I can tell so far. Sometimes the dudes don't have armor as such but they're all very much humanoid enemies.

Where's my Gaping Dragon 2.0 From??

I'm not sure I understand this complaint. Here's a list of odd bosses that I've run into, and I still haven't finished several areas:

Gargoyles
A chariot that when broken becomes a horse
A giant slug... thing?
Three skeletons who summon masses of other skeletons (wearing armor, but that's not just a dude in armor)
Two undead grafted to each other (wearing armor, granted)
A giant

I guess the Rune Sentinels count? There are three of them and they're huge though

Off the top of my head, the only dudes in armor that I remember are the Pursuer, Dragonslayer, and Old Dragonslayer

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Overbite posted:

Replaying this on PC reminds me how much I hated certain areas. The run from the bonfire to Chariot is a pain, and so is the Chariot fight.

I rolled a wizard dude so I could use spells but I can't use spells because if I do I won't have any for the boss fight.

I've been playing wizard dude from the beginning, and aside from a brief stint before I found the magic merchant and had to swing a mace for a bit, I haven't used a weapon since (except for one specific enemy who is a complete rear end in a top hat and resists all types of magic but is super vulnerable to backstabs).

Remember that there are both consumable items that restore spell uses, and that doing coop restores uses. It's not much help for that fight though; that fight is a nightmare for a caster. I beat it only by summoning a sunbro with a giant axe who cleaved through everything for me while I helped out on certain key enemies.

Edit: I do have 5 or 6 attunement slots, which helps a lot in terms of having enough spells. I also have hexes, and supplement my casting with those quite frequently.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Even better, Infusing catalysts/bells can further upgrade their power in a direction you want. I'm running around with one magic staff and one dark one.

Oh wow, I need to do this. Since staves are used for both magic and hexes, chimes are only really used for miracles, and pyro hands are only used for fire, can you also infuse chimes towards lightning and pyro hands towards fire for more damage?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Um, no. Chimes are good for hexes too (there's a reason there's hexes that can only be cat with chimes). Hell there's a special chime that only casts hexes.

But if you're not going with hexes or the chime in question is not good for hexes, then infusing it with lightning is good. Can't infuse pyro flame.

Huh, interesting. I'll have to double check my hexes; I guess I just haven't gotten to the ones that are castable by chimes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

All you guys keep talking about the Belfry Luna, where/what is it? I feel like I should have come across it by now...

I have no idea where to go now anyway, I just finished Sinner's rise. Should I be looking for this place?

Check under the Servants Quarters bonfire. Bring a lockstone. It's worth checking out, and there are some neat rewards for doing it. It won't advance the plot any though. For that you might want to check out other paths away from the main town hub. Try walking to other areas manually instead of warping.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Were you a shade or a white phantom? You can only enter the boss room if you use a regular white soapstone, not the small one.

Is this really the case? I know that I did some coop with the small white soapstone to farm up a few of those little pearl things, and the coop that I did was killing bosses.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Randler posted:

I think the intent of that level (Earthen Peak) was for the player to notice the windmill when entering the keep and the clockwork mechanisms throughout it. Eventually by exploring a path off to the side - climbing the ladder after the arrow trap, going not towards the boss but towards the other side - finding a spinning fan that blocks an area. Putting the movement of the mechanism in relation to the windmill, you would then inspect it. I'm not sure if there is a prompt if you go up there with a torch, though. Stopping the poison in the boss and the pool before the fog door is almost incidental to it. (Or maybe I missed some gears connecting to those. But yeah, I learned it from a golden phantom as well. I did, however, see a sign earlier saying requires torch but I either didn't move up to where the prompt was supposed to be or thought the ledge was too narrow to move onto without falling to my death.

What they really should have done is made a clearer connection between the two - have the windmill inputting power to a machine that streams out poison, and have poison pools/waterfalls throughout the area. It also would have helped to make it a tad more obvious that a torch is specifically what is required.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Holy poo poo binoculars. Seriously, if you're a mage of any sort, get the binoculars. I had no idea where they were until I looked it up online, and I'm very sad that I missed them because they would have made several sections of the game much easier. As it is, I can finally go back to that stupid area with those godsdamned ranged spellcasters that have no issues targeting me but who I can't lock onto, and finally snipe them properly.

For those who missed them, they're available in the main town area. Travel back on the path towards the first area and explore around a bit.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I beat the game and still haven't finished a couple of areas. Holy poo poo is magic amazing. I more or less trivialized almost all of the enemies and bosses by just standing back and pew pewing until they died. The only things that gave me pause were a couple of dudes strong to all magic, and those guys got a +10 raw dagger to the back, which did the trick. Having access to four different elements and being able to cast all of them equally well makes everything melt. Also, binoculars. I only discovered them halfway through the game, but they were a gamechanger. No longer did I have to sit back and slowly line up my screen, instead I could just point and click until everything died (incidentally, this is the reason that I put off a couple of areas in the game - rear end in a top hat ranged dudes that I couldn't lock onto).

Is it just me, or are the lightning spear line of miracles head and shoulders above the other spells? Sure, the other spells cast a bit faster, but lightning spears tend to drat near one shot everything.

I'm tempted to restart the game with a hybrid strength/faith build, but I'm afraid that I'll end up just using lightning spear to kill everything since it's so much more effective. I think I might just go for a pure warrior and smash things to death with big weapons, heavy armor, and shields.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

EvilCornbread posted:

There's no way to get to Belfry Sol without killing Smelter Demon, is there?

Try ladders. There's a way to turn off the fire in the giant furnace in that area. You can then walk through it and find a ladder behind that structure.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bellbroing as the epitome of "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" is loving hilarious. I outfitted my dude in full butterfly raiment with poison infused caestuses (as well as normal caestuses for once the opponent is poisoned) and it's amazing. People aren't equipped to handle poison at that point (and I'm wearing the ratbro ring for extra poison), and the poise breaking from the caestus means that applying multiple hits is trivial. I had a string of really fun invasions tonight, with some people keeling over after they killed me, some people killing me outright, and the majority dying horribly from poison while trying desperately to run away from a pretty butterfly.

It's nice though, I'm learning a ton about how to dodge hits properly, how to land hits properly, how to exploit poise breaking properly, when to trade hits, etc. I also had a few sweet moments of knocking aside some poor bastard's shield and performing an appendectomy. My only issue is that actually activating the shield knocking attack is really finicky and I fail to pull it off around a third of the time.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I'm really enjoying using poison so far, and I want to branch out into toxic. Would Mytha's blade work well for that? If so, how on earth can I get the necessary upgrade materials to make it halfway decent?

I suppose I should also grab the toxic mist spell while I'm at it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

So they got you for that thingy you posted a while back or what are you talking about?

He has a previous non dark souls 2 related vac ban. The causal link is backwards since he is banned therefore he cheats.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Can someone confirm if the Poison Imbue actually inflicts the status, or just adds poison elemental damage to your weapon?

I'm thinking it's the former since I've never seen my Poison Old Whip actually poison anyone.

Oh it definitely inflicts the status. I've been terrorizing the low soul memory bell tower with poison weapons for the last couple of days. Poison caestuses are fun, and I just recently made a character who got dual mytha's blades since they'll theoretically inflict toxic. In practice, I think the hosts die long before they actually get toxiced, but they definitely get poisoned.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone looked into or played Lords of the Fallen? I saw the game at Comicon and played it for a bit, and it felt like a slightly shittier and less smooth Dark Souls. It didn't help that the character that I was using took around 8-9 hits to kill normal enemies, or about 2.3 backstabs.

It's a game that's definitely on my list to check out more thoroughly, but certainly not a day 1 purchase.

On-topic, I finished the Dark Souls 2 DLC recently, and man was that a lot of fun; the puzzles were good, the way the game introduces you to the map gimmicks is great, and the bosses were a lot of fun. I am definitely a little annoyed by how it seems like some enemies have a virtually limitless stamina bar where they just keep swinging and swinging like a deranged energizer bunny. I appreciate that it makes them more challenging and especially more challenging to backstab (not that that stopped me from killing around 75% of them by backstabbing them), but I'd like the enemies to follow the same rules that I do when they swing a sword around like me and move like me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

The switch can be triggered, but I can't break the stuff in front of it :( I also don't have any magic on this char, so it would need to be a knife or something like that.

It takes a really well aimed arrow shot. Just use the bow the game hands you at the beginning of the area. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no way to break the statues from range, so keep changing angles until you get a clearish shot at the switch. It's not the easiest thing in the world to line up, but it's definitely possible!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

You can break the statues with spells or with a great bow. I think destructive great arrows will do it.

Just tested this in game, and you're right. Normal greatbow arrows don't work, but destructive greatbow arrows do!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Spicing spells doesn't directly lower effectiveness. Most spells, including buffs, have some scaling with their casting stats now, which means that if you spice a spell down so that you can cast it with a lower int/faith, then your spell isn't as powerful as it would be if you had higher int/faith. If you later raise your int/faith up, the spell increases in power as normal.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I beat the DLC and holy poo poo is it hilarious going back to some earlier enemies/bosses. You go from ridiculously tight timing windows, very punishingly fast enemies (hell, there were combos from FK and the final boss that I had to resort to blocking because I couldn't roll fast enough to dodge them all), to lazy swings that you see coming a mile away. I beat the skeleton lords without even breaking a sweat by just strafing around in the middle of the arena and lazily rolling past their swings where before I was incredibly nervous and kited them past pillars and around obstacles in a desperate attempt to stay alive.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah I'm at 75% max HP and only have 20 Vit but still. Much as I'd like to use the Red Iron Twinblade at that stage in the game it looks like I have to respec to using boring weapons and pour all my stats into actually being able to stay alive during boss fights.

Why do you need to respec into boring weapons? All you need is a tad more HP. On a side note though, faster weapons can be incredibly helpful because they leave you less time where you can't dodge, which helps survivability a lot.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cathair posted:

I must live in opposite-world, or I just have a playstyle and skillset rather different from those of most people, because it seems like most of my posts in this thread are about how I had no trouble with things that most players find hard or I had a lot of trouble with things that most players like. For example:

I loving hated the Ruin Sentinels, mostly because they're a very luck-based fight in my experience, with a radical disparity in difficulty based on what attacks they do or don't decide to use. There's also plenty of opportunities to get stunlocked if you get hit by certain attacks depending on the positioning of the sentinels, making them basically one-hit-kills that drag on and add insult to injury. Of course, it didn't help that I was slightly under-geared and inexperienced the first time I fought them, but even now they're one of my most disliked bosses in both games. They should really be a late-game boss, in my view they're harder than most of what you fight in the latter half of the game. Hell, I had an easier time with the Gank Squad than with these shitheads.

Given that you've beaten the DLC bosses, do yourself a favor and go back on a newish character and go up against the Ruin Sentinels. You'll find that they're hilariously easy and hilariously telegraphed, as well as that you can much more easily keep track of where they are. It's really night and day just how much player skill improves over time in this game. You still have to pay attention, but the last few times I've fought the Ruin Sentinels, I more or less leisurely stroll around the room around their attacks, dodge occasionally and kill them without breaking a sweat.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I imagine the play testers just having fun with the game swinging weapons, maybe playing with the physics and the director watching from behind absolutely furious for no reason.

"Gah! All these mindless swings! Fix it!"

Eh, I think it's more along the lines of weapon durability being almost a complete non-issue in Dark Souls, while in the sequel it's something that's more or less always on your mind, which changes up the gameplay a bit. It incentivizes carrying around multiple weapons and such as well. The system is a bit harsh on PC because of the durability bug, but it's a neat idea in theory.

Edit: You'll find durability is less of a problem as you upgrade weapons, as you get better at backstabbing enemies, and generally as you take fewer swings to take down any given enemy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tae posted:

You can absolutely face tank in DS1, in DS2 you have to rely on dodging and high stability shields because enemies are designed to destroy armor and turtle strats.

Can you facetank in DS1 on NG+4? Because that's the situation the dude was complaining about.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

So no I don't have agility. Or poise. or health.

We don't allow that kind of play here. If you wanna use a shield than you can eat poo poo.

So this is the problem. Get some agility, get some health, and two hand the damned hammer as a tradeoff. You don't need shields if you can actually dodge poo poo, but you do need health so that when you inevitably gently caress up dodging, you've got some staying power.

Getting a build with zero defensive stats is only viable if and only if you're good enough to survive without them. You're not, so get some defensive stats.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

fennesz posted:

How often do you get invaded? I've finished the game and apart from belfry/rat king shenanigans I've been invaded twice.

I started up a new playthrough of SotFS and have been invaded 4-5 times in the first few areas.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

There flat out isn't one that doesn't eliminate twinking.

And yet I can't help but think that if they let twinking in, Blue Sentinels would get way more action.

The easy solution, in my eyes, would have been to allow twinking, but remove any SM restriction on the Blue Sentinel you can summon in because of the delay. So fine, that red can invade, but he risks facing some SL 838 monster.

But you just know all the "git gud" people would freak if the tables were turned.

It also could work if they went by SL + a modifier for how powerful your strongest weapons and armor are. The biggest issue in DS1, for me at least, was that you'd run into invaders with a maxed out weapon when you're strolling through Undead Burg or something and haven't even met the first blacksmith yet. Adding a modifier to the strength of the player for their strongest weapon and armor set would at least alleviate that to some degree.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Smol posted:

Who gives a poo poo about marginal effects like grass crest shield has. The big picture is that the giant dad with a lightning shotel +10 is going to kill the noob with an unupgraded drake sword.

This. Just add on a modifier for the highest upgraded weapon a player owns/creates. Sure, people can optimize even around that, but the difference between a lovely unupgraded weapon and a fully upgraded weapon is huge. Sure, rings and all that can skew the playing field, and you'd end up with invaders hacking in RoB+2 and Flynn's ring or something (note: they already do this), but taking weapon upgrades into account is a start and is a huge disparity in character power.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I'm not really a fan of not fully realized solutions, because such thinking gave us SM.

In theory, SM works, it just isn't implemented properly. If you could lock down the loadout that a person is capable of using, and price that loadout in souls, then two people with similar numbers of souls spent should have similar levels of power. In practice, you can eke out a hell of a lot more power by not buying upgrade materials, only ever upgrading one weapon, not buying things you don't use, etc.

The problem SL had is that it didn't take equipment into account at all, and equipment is [i[huge[/i] when it comes to how powerful a player is. Using SL as a baseline and then adding a modifier based on the highest upgraded weapons and armor makes it so that someone who twinks out a low level character has their overpowered gear taken into account. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternatives, and it would cut down on being invaded by some rear end in a top hat with a +10 weapon while you're rocking a +4 weapon at the highest because you physically haven't reached enough titanite to get any further.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

dat one portagee posted:

Both ratbro areas have murder ladders that are pretty much a guaranteed kill for the host. Doors of pharros was my favorite tho, so many people hosed up the timing of those saw blades on the final bridge

I think my favorite ratbro pvp situation was when I was summoned in doors of pharros and made it almost to the final room. The host was waiting for me, and we did the usual pvp dodge rolls and such around each other. Unfortunately, the host forgot that my win condition wasn't killing him, it was getting past him. I baited him into circling around me, attacked once to get him to back off, and then took off at a dead run for the door. It was a fairly amusing victory.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

I think this is the problem, right here. I wouldn't call 40 stamina "reasonable" at the cost of 20 levels for +1/6 effect. And you're omitting the external costs of having to pump vitality to hold that heavy shield in addition to your other gear without going over some threshold. (Perhaps you're also thinking of how things were originally? At some point a patch nerfed shield stabilities across the board, which was how I'd previously been coasting through NG+.)

In addition, as noted above there are some attacks (not just shield breaks, but actual attacks) that are designed to break your shield block, putting you into a temporary stun animation. (The Royal Rat Vanguard's charge, for instance.) No shield will help you there.

By the time you're worrying about NG++, which is where the issue was, a few levels here or there aren't all that relevant.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

From what I recall, hitting corpses chews through weapon durability (thought it was initially doing so at a super fast rate that was patched?), so there's an element of being conservative with weapon swings and trying to not hack up corpses or hit walls if you can avoid it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Oh yeah it sucks now, I'm talking back when youtubers and other people played the game

I had a lot of fun with gimmick runs. I remember dressing up with the butterfly armor that poisoned nearby enemies and powerstancing the boss weapons that did poison + toxic (Mytha's bent blade). Bonfire ascetics were a really, really cool mechanic for accessing stuff like that without needing to beat the game first.

But yeah, going super massive poison was hilarious, and I think people mostly just freaked out when they got hit and saw bars pop up on their screen. It wasn't all that effective, but doing gimmicks in the belltower was fantastically fun PVP.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

I cheezed every single ogre with poison arrows :negative:

If you stand to the back-left or back-right of the ogres, they aggressively sit at you. That's the only move they do if you're in the right location, so you can just kill them at your leisure by moving back over and over and alternating sides so that they don't sit onto the cliff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Despite my hatred for the ogres and their bullshit hitboxes, my favorite gently caress moment in dark souls was when the 2nd ogre bursts through the wall at the end of Aldia's keep.

I loved that part. I felt so smug when I figured out that the first one was going to break through the door. After dispatching him, I cockily sauntered over to the second door and promptly got my poo poo smashed in. It was a fantastic comeuppance.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've always wondered about raw and mundane. The other infusions I get, but what possible niche build would raw or mundane be useful for? Mundane especially sounds extremely useless

Raw's nice for early game when you might be investing in defensive stats over offensive stats, or in magic (sorcery/pyro/faith/hex) stats but not yet have enough scaling or materials to make a more suitable infusion. It's also nice as a physical option for magic builds, especially on enemies that are resistant to non-physical damage, like those lion enemies.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Powerstanced Daggers are very fun. Very fast L1s as is the norm, but get this: two Mytha's Bent Blades. Poison Ring from the Rat Cov, the Shulva wrist piece, and baby you got yourself a build going.

Also you can backstab and riposte like a mofo, naturally.

This was one of my absolutely favorite things to do as a bellbro. I think most people freaked the gently caress out once they got hit and three different bars popped up on their screen at once. I used the butterfly set too just because it was funny, though it didn't really do much.

Bonfire ascetics are such a good mechanic; it's one of the few games where I've actually gone for things that drop in NG+, NG+2, etc.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

No I'm talking about if you left that bonfire, there's a 1 way path, which so far the devs are way too fond of imo.
It turns out the chest the pursuer ambush is guarding has a fragrant branch. So you can actually progress a bit further, but I'm taking a break, so I'll report back if that's a full path into the level, or just a way to something else I shouldn't fight yet. In which case I think I'll skip 2 and go straight to 3.
I just see no reason why that bonfire is one way, or the link between that giants and bastille exists, and of course that ambush, other than the b team devs leaning hard into :darksouls: without understanding what made the first work.

There are two ways into the bastille from two different areas. There's also a bonfire accessible without using the fragrant branch, but you might need to check out messages near that door at the bottom of the hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

And the small soapstone is wonderful. It's great to be able to summon folks to help with a difficult section but not actually commit yourself to fighting the boss, especially with depleted resources.