Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I for one am glad I have access to a USB Xbox controller now. Played DS1 with both M/K and a controller and it was like night and day.

Looking forward to all the crazy mods, especially Shibe Souls v2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

the best whip in the game.

Best... whip? :psyduck: Are they actually useful now?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Should be your steam name, because it shows your account name on both 360 and PS3.

gently caress yea

"Dark Spirit Summoning Failed has invaded" :getin:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Except the fail msg is in a different kind of window. Anyone who will fall for this would fall for the ring that makes you look like a white phantom :saddowns:

Considering some people fall for Silver Knight disguises in Anor Londo...

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Starting blind as a Deprived, everything else is for casuls. :colbert:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Azran posted:

Aren't the items the Explorer starts with useful?

I hear the headpiece gives a bonus to item find but you can buy the set early on anyway.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
"Those" sites usually send their keys the moment the game launches.

No preloading for me. :(

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Ah poo poo, the shop I ordered from hasn't received my money yet so I won't be in on launch. :argh:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Got my key, currently downloading. :getin:

Let's all take a moment and reminisce about the glory of DaS1 with this song.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So the internet is freaking out about some sort of screamer around the beginning of the game - Any substance to that rumor?

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 25, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Screamer. Some sort of cheap scare screamer thing.

Too loving early for me to be typing :regd09:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

I figured i'd try something different from DS1 and start as a sorcerer. I'm too conservative with my spells and I don't know how to invest my stats. :shepface:

Minimum for whatever weapon you want. Int as high as you can, End/Vit(Or whatever the stat that gives health is)/ADP to the soft cap. That's generally how it worked in DaS1 so I assume the same is true for this game.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, finally got around to playing this for a bit.

Some observations:

- Controls feel off and unresponsive with a controller. I'm slowly getting used to it but right now, DaS1 had straight up faster and more responsive attacks. Jumping is even worse than before!

- Lots of sneaky ambushes in the Forest of Giants. At certain points I had the impression the game spawns new enemies behind you. That's rather cheap. Nothing I can't handle but still.

- Coop and messages are better and all in all pretty cool, especially with the sheer amount of people running around.

- It would have been great if From had managed to not make you look like a sack of potatoes when wearing cloth armor. :(

- What the gently caress is with these pigs, man?

Also I am the swolest grandpa!

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 25, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

As a priest, will buying the extra 'heal' spell from a merchant let me cast it 3 more times/rest? Also, should I even bother raising faith until I find more spells? Or just pump str/dex for more weapons/armor?

Buying more copies of a spell raises charges if you attune the extra ones. At least that's how it worked in DaS1.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So... Co-op not only makes you human, it refills your estus and repairs your equipment? Is that supposed to happen?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Oh man I'm helping people with the Pursuer and it's great.

I wonder if people realize that all those nasty names they gave themselves are getting censored though. Tried to help one gentleman by the name of Mother****er who promptly fell off the wall, 4 seconds into the fight. :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Equipment breaking during sunbroing is somewhat annoying.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I just got invaded by Trusty Patches. :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Was it confirmed that your ingame name is your steam name? Because I put down my white summon sign and when I checked it just showed my characters name.

Pretty sure it's the character's name after all.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I get the feeling there might be rewards for lighting all sconces in certain areas. Is my instinct wrong?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Seems to me that after the Sentinels the number of people putting down signs really dropped. I was summoned instantly for the Old Sinner but had trouble finding anyone to summon myself.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I summoned Lucatiel in No Man's Wharf but she must've fallen into the water at some point and now her sign is gone. :saddowns:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

If you use the bonfire again it will come back.

Ah, that's way too much effort for a Solaire wannabe like her. :colbert:

Speaking of bad AI: I wasn't even doing anything, I was just standing around alt-tabbed and then I heard a splash and she was gone.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Darox posted:

Man there are NPC summons? I clearly haven't found them under the mountain of player signs.

I managed to find one NPC invader though, that was fun.

The signs usually aren't next to the boss. Her sign in Sinner's Rise for example is in the elevator room.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

So anyone have any advice for me wrt the Ruin Sentinels? Because even with three people they're kicking my rear end. I'm at SL52 powerstancing +2 maces and I'm barely chipping away at their health.

As long as you stay on the ledge where you initially land, the other two sentinels won't aggro. With 3 people you can usually beat down the first pretty handily as long as everyone knows how to dodge/block them (They only do physical damage!). Once the first one is dead the best way I've found is for one person to distract one guardian and the other two taking turns beating the third.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Harvest Valley is not what the name would imply at all. <:mad:>

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

CitrusFrog posted:

Also, so many cheap deaths. I lost over 28000 souls earlier in Lost Bastille because I was like "I'll just get to the next bonfire THEN warp back and spend them" then got dogpiled by six royal guards with flamberges.

Door
and then
quite something ahead

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Ok last one: are bellfry and sinner's rise optional? What if you don't join the covenant, is it possible to get through there then or will it be pvp at every turn, staircase etc.

Sorry for that list, thanks in advance. :)

The first area yes, the second no. Beating the first makes accessing the boss in the second marginally easier.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
That particular part can be cheesed a bit. The first "wave" of dudes is usually just 3. Run back until they stop following you and you can pick them off one by one.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Artificer posted:

Holy gently caress. I can't get out of the Soldier's Rest Bonfire. I get instantly gangbanged by 2 Ironclads and a Hollow Soldier. Is there anything interesting here? How do I get out?

Edit: I think I must have lost like 12k souls by now just running around and dying...

That thing is a big fat trap. Nothing worthwhile there unless you really want the leather armor the hunter in DaS1 started with (It's poo poo).

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Both Yahtzee and a friend of mine complained about bosses just being "dudes in armor" and they were right, at least from what I can tell so far. Sometimes the dudes don't have armor as such but they're all very much humanoid enemies.

Where's my Gaping Dragon 2.0 From??

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I thought completing a task as a shade restored the duirability of your equipped weapon? My halberd is still broken.

It restores durability but doesn't repair completely broken equipment.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Some of these bonfire placements are retarded (looking at you, Earthen Peak). It makes me want to despawn enemies.

On that note, the thing you have to do with your torch in Earthen Peak isn't intuitive at all. I only realized what I had to do thanks to messages.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I see what people mean by disjointed level design. Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep -> Belfry Sol feels very "unnatural". The areas in general don't feel like anyone actually lives or lived there, it's all very video game-y.

I never get the feeling that I'm "done" with an area either because sometimes you pick the wrong way and hit a point of no return. Sure, you can warp, but depending on the level you'd have to do it alllll over again first.

e: The limited lockstones also don't exactly help.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 26, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Now... I'm not saying the Smelter Demon is a poo poo boss but unavoidable damage is cheap.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

It barely does any damage, just pop a lifegem.

I am the most miserly sunbro though!

From what I hear, the guy gets exponentially harder for melee characters in NG because of his aura.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
On the topic of GAVLAN DEAL: Will the guy ever turn up in Majula?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Door
but
ambush ahead.

Thanks for the warning, how hard could it... :catstare:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

ymgve posted:

I'm beneath the room with the ballistas in the first real area, and I destroyed a chest because I'm paranoid about mimics. It turned whatever was in there into rubbish. Did I miss a great item?

Nope, wooden chests only contain nice-but-not-amazing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've got a whole bunch of boss souls and now am I'm wondering if there are any in particular that make really good/useful weapons in the vein of Quelaag's Fury Sword. Stuff that most people would want in their first playthrough.

e: Nobody seems to get my "Hurrah for two-handing, therefore visions of giant..." message in front of chest with the Zwei. :saddowns:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 27, 2014