Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yo

can someone in the 1,500,000 - 1,749,999 soul memory range drop a ruin leggings for me? I've been farming these fuckers for so long. last thing I need.
I have a lot of boss souls I can trade, as well as giant seeds/human effigys

e:nm I just cheated engine'd it in because this was getting ridiculous

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Why can't I destroy this ashen idol? I have 4 smelter wedges :margeball:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hanales posted:

Standing in the wrong place maybe?

That's a glitch I've never seen. If you quit out and come back can you still not do it?
I cannot.

Bogart posted:

armor's too ugly. get fashionable and come back. sorry
fuk u this helmet looks good as hell with this armor

I wish I could actually get ruin sentinel shield though instead of settling for mastodon greatshield. it's a good shield at least

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Specifically: if you start as a knight, which gets 4 starting attunement, you want to get 24 adaptability. This gets you 12 iframes.
The breakpoint for 13 iframes is at 32 adaptability, which is quite a bit more levels(8) for another frame compared to earlier breakpoints(which cost 1, 5, 5, and 4 respectively for knight) and not really worth it unless you are later on and don't really wanna spend levels on anything else.
You can find out breakpoints for different amounts of attunement with this.

Then you wanna find the armor you want and level vit until you have a bit less than 70% equip load while wearing it, leaving a bit of breathing room for swapping on different rings and perhaps slightly different weight shield/weapon.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 5, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'd rather have a big rear end sword. Just haven't found one yet. Just started this tower of flame thing, not sure if that's where I need to go next. Hopefully knights=big swords.
there's a greatsword in no man's wharf once you find that

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

NGDBSS posted:

DS3's poise is mostly just hyperarmor. Resistance to being hitstunned only triggers if you're attacking, so if you get hit in any other circumstance you will be hitstunned.
To be specific: You only have hyperarmor in ds3 with certain attacks. Big weapons(great hammers, greataxes, ultra greatswords) get hyperarmor on normal attacks and usually also on weapon arts, kinda-big weapons(greatswords, halberds, hammers) get hyperarmor when two handing and with weapon arts, and other weapons just get hyperarmor with certain weapon arts.

The amount you can tank through without staggering via hyperarmor in ds3 is increased by the poise that armor gives you. This means that poise does do something, but it has the unfortunate effect of limiting build variety quite a bit, because it means poise from armor is worthless if you're using a lighter weapon which doesn't have worthwhile hyperarmor moves, or hyperarmor at all. (Which also means you gotta stack heavy armor with heavy weapons, so there's a large equip load tax... and then fast weapons are still better. Not that it matters much outside of PvP, but it's still not really a successful system.)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 10, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Strongest pursuer cheese combo(in his main arena) is parry him in front of a ballista and then shoot him twice with it, which is all you need to do to kill him

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've never been able to kill the second sentinel before the third one joins in. I like that fight though(but I dislike the runback because it's either going through a bunch of enemies or making an annoying jump).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

some helmets are only good with some faces

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
character update

martial onion

ready for kombat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best thing to do in pvp is dance around at the edge of someone's range and then step forward and punish when they whiff

also, do anything and everything in your power to win. ignore anyone who ever tells you not to use something because of it being good, or "boring"(ie: my weapon doesn't work against it and that makes me mad)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fighting golden veldstat+elana is good and cool

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
he's better than midir in that aspect because the arena is way smaller so you don't have to chase him nearly as much. also he doesn't have as much HP or defenses so the fight isn't as much of a slog in general.

tbh sinh is the best dragon fight in the series I think. pretty similar to kalameet but improves on him by having a moveset that's less exploitable and not having weird collision where you can get awkwardly caught up in and pushed around by his legs as he turns, and then midir has similar improvements but goes way too "big" as a fight and becomes annoying as a result. all 'setpiece' drakes are annoying and guardian dragon is kind of a nothing fight.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the casters are fun to fight and can be dealt with by rolling thru, or just moving so the soul arrows miss, or blocking with high magic resist shield. multiple slow overlapped attack threats always make for interesting timing challenges in souls games.

the acid mushrooms in front of the bonfire are indefensible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's why they suck. it's a trivial waste of time while the rest of the level is a fun challenge

I've never fallen off the edge in amana before and it always makes me wonder if people have their monitor brightness set too low. that's the problem one of my friends had.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bows are boring

shrine of amana is fun minus the mushroom room and the fairly lame boss

sotfs iron keep is fine

hail gay satan

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shear Modulus posted:

The blood pools were my most-missed feature in 3 followed by the ability to power stance zweihanders.
there's not that much I truly miss but a). more recovery time on rolls and b). BONFIRE ASCETICS are the big ones

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
farming doesn't feel like an achievement to me, it just feels like a timesink. fighting the same enemies repeatedly isn't tough, and item discovery gear is annoying.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Paracelsus posted:

Small soapstone.
I've never run out of humanity in any souls game so it doesn't matter to me at all

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
what's wrong with gear level

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:skeltal:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The place you have to go to is a door that opens now that you have the lord souls at one of the 3 paths at Ruined Fork Road bonfire(shaded woods).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
literally just hit the little rats and kill them

I have never gotten killed by them before and will never understand this complaint

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nonexistence posted:

My understanding is that boss weapons on average deal more damage than other weapons in their class when invested in because upgrading them yields better damage increases. Weapons upgraded with scales end up doing 2.5x their unupgraded base damage, 2x for twinkling, and 1.5x for regular titanite or something like that (not sure on those modifiers, don't shoot me). So while many boss weapons are notable for their uniqueness don't think that necessarily means it's in lieu of a mechanical advantage.
A lot of boss weapons have bad scaling, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
have you leveled ADP

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ds2's controls and framerate are not better than ds3, or ds1 as of the remaster

the deadzone issue makes the controls less responsive if anything until you fix it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OutofSight posted:

Woah. Seems like i hit a weak spot.
actually you were just kinda rude for no reason

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, before that they said "I've already played this game so many times that the only options I have left are the ones that I'm not really interested in anymore" so it's more like they've already played with the good stuff and don't wanna play with weak stuff

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
With like 2 exceptions dark souls 1 bosses are a fair bit easier than dark souls 2 bosses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the only basegame ds1 bosses that aren't easy are bell gargoyles(easier than gargs in 2, and not hard if you upgrade), capra demon(if you aren't familiar with the fight), 4 kings(if you don't tank up) and O&S.

And "easy" ds2 bosses are not as easy as "easy" ds1 bosses. Najka is harder than quelagg because she doesn't just whiff if you get in her face, for example. Taurus is a bit easier than last giant or pursuer(cheese included, especially since Taurus is also cheesable), lost sinner/skeleton lords are around the same point of the game as gaping dragon who will basically never hit you if you strafe, etc.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think the game feels easier, is my point.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shrine of Amana rules and is fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's a good thing, being able to pull almost everything 1 by 1 in ds1 was cheesy and often too easy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, I basically just fight the iron keep knights all in a row directly in melee every time so I don't really agree that it forces ultra-conservative hit & run kiting tactics or arrow cheese.

That's the encounter everyone always complains about, anyways.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also you need every spell in 3, which involves maxing out covenants, some of which take forever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sinh is great. He's like Kalameet but with less goofy "getting caught on the legs" collision issues.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've never had anything actually break during that fight before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dark lurker is fun but getting to him sucks because it's limited to a covenant that has stat reqs and also the cave can be a bit of a slog