Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Yea, but is there any gear I should be burning ascetics for to find? I'm still on my first playthrough, but if there's like a ring of really useful +2 or a totally awesome light armour set or bow I'd to know about it.

edit: I mean, I could trawl the wiki looking at every single item and spoil myself on a ton of stuff, which is why I'm asking here.

Not the greatest thing ever, but Flame Weapon is crafted from Old Witch Soul, which drops from NG+ Sinner, so if you run pyro and want an on-demand weapon fire buff, you can get it there (and you need it if you want the All Pyromancies achievement).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Dukes Dear Freya if you want the real FROM weapon.

And the best looking one across From Soft games.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aldia Was Right.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

skasion posted:

You need to go talk to Vendrick and get his blessing again every cycle. It’s dumb

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's not even a big deal since by that point you're drowning in effigies, but the quality of life is neat and would be a fitting reward for whatever NG cycles you feel like pushing through.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

The video is out and it's top notch, ymfah really kicked it into high gear this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FigIAAYHoW8
Do not skip this one.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rubellavator posted:

lol look at the DS3 thread title

Maybe there's hope for them after all.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Guillermus posted:

Limmy's first playthrough of DS2 live right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkPhE2MEgx8

Cheers for that. Don't know the streamer, but DS2 first playthroughs are totally my jam. At least the earlier parts, as late game, stats tend to do all the lifting. But that early struggle with the controls, that first Pursuer encounter, the awakening of the Heide Knights, the spear Heide Knight on the way to the drake platform, the absolute despair of the Wharf, the soldier ganking in the tower leading to Sentinels... This is all pure unadulterated emotional gold.

edit: "I don't know where tae gently caress to go..." "I'm absolutely loving lost!" <- game is delivering already

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Electromax posted:

Here's the full version: https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1757391102829609323?t=bDrIZfoOcqiuwH6IK1EAhQ

Not sure if I'll add the DLC areas or not. Would like to but they are each sort of in their own little universe.

Really cool map. That said, even with your changes, it still looks a little too much like a DS1 mini-world to me if that makes sense. The feeling I get playing DS2 is that a lot of places are a lot further apart than the time it takes to reach them makes it feel. Basically all the roads from Majula for example, which maybe would have been better handled as transitions like the bird/boat trips to the Bastille. And the DLCs play a bit into that: I could see the Sunken City in a pit below the Gulch and Brume tower in the mountains surrounding the Iron Keep, but the frozen expanses of Eleum Loyce really feels like it's well away from everything and would be a bit awkward to place on your map.

The map below carries more what I feel like I'm exploring when playing DS2, even though the travel times don't match it:

Not sure how (or if) the two scales could be reconciled, mind, since you pretty much have areas down to individual rooms.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
You do you, but most of the fun with RtD imho is to do everything and summon/invade/get summoned on the way. Farming the Rotten for souls is kinda counterproductive in that regards as it's not only boringly repetitive, but it also propels you further in soul memory, potentially matchmaking you out of the various people going through the world with a fresh new character (only potentially though, because SM ranges aren't that bad unless you farm hardcore).

Main tip would be to check for boss souls weapons, as some require NG+ drops. Like iirc, MLGS is crafted from NG+ Freya soul. So if you have something specific in mind, you know straight away who to aim for first with an ascetic.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Everyone who hasn’t done a DS2 hexer run should totally do a hexer run for Return to Drangleic.

And grab the MLGS on the way because it's the prettiest version in the entire series and it's a nice change come endgame when you're a bit tired with spellcasting.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

Thinking DS2 is good, perhaps even the best, is actually the correct opinion and you are among friends.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I just can't even imagine how sad having the vanilla game as your first experience of DS2 must be. I only discovered the differences later watching runs on twitch, and some of my best/worst (at the same time) memories were some of the glorious ganks that Scholar added in. And these only really work if you're a bad newbie going through the game for the first time ever.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

To me it's kinda funny that while everyone else is like "loving Iron Keep!!! :argh:" I'm mostly just pissed off at what they did to Dragon Aerie.

They're both good, but I have fonder (and more infuriating) memories of Heide and the Lost Bastille due to facing these at much lower SL. :negative:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Any dumb/fun build suggestions for RtD? Trying to think back, I've already been through:
- sword and board (bit boring but looks good)
- mace/miracle cleric (always fun)
- big big club (pancaking ftw)
- katana weeabo (just works, and makes Sir Alonne a personal Nemesis)
- blue/red Smelter UGS powerstancing (not optimal, but drat, those colours!)
- lance (insanely boring)
- rapier (see above)
- Muhammad Ali cosplay (shorts/boots and punching things, pretty fun but don't feel like going at it again)
- hexer + MLGS (so many options, one of the best things in this game)
- 40k Terminator (havel armour + invisible helmet + power stanced claws, a bit shite)

On vague musings right now:
- don't think I've ever gone all-in on pure pyro, so maybe... But I feel like it's just going to feel like a purely lesser hexer build.
- go down the archery line and aim for dual Avelyn? Viable for sure, but not sure that'll be entertaining long enough. Are there some weird/alternative bows? I've mostly always used the Dragonrider bow because of its stupidly good STR scaling, and well, Avelyn is Avelyn.
- redo the weeb but beeline the washing pole instead of the normal-sized katanas? It looks ridiculous so there's that at least.
- focus on consumables? I presume firebombs come with unlimited supply, but it might get tedious. Are black firebombs also infinite? Maybe as a complement to pyro?
- never did dual fridge doors either, but that feels like it'd just be a slower and more boring boxing build. Some potential in coop to tank for weak hosts, but RtD players rarely require it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
As usual, the upcoming Return got me to return early, so I'm at the memories of giants right now, with a faith build. It's a bit sad that the build only really comes into its own around Amana (Sunlight Blade and Faith high enough to make offensive miracles a credible alternative to a bow) with much of the game already gone. There's still the DLC, but I might dip into NG+ just to spam lots of lightning into early areas. I had never really played much with Heavenly Thunder, but it's solid, it hits more often than I expected, and does ok damage even early on. Even better on big hitbox enemies.

Peak of this run so far has been being summoned in Aldia's Keep by someone who hadn't found the mid-keep bonfire secret wall. Tried to point at the wall but they didn't notice, so helped out with carving a way through the hall. And then I got to see the host dumbly walking towards that door at the very end of the hall and instantly die to the hippo smashing his way through. :allears:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Just got SotFS, what do I need to know coming from Dark Souls Remastered/basic beginners tips to avoid frustration? The change of graphical style from the first one is awesome I reckon

There's a derived stat called Agility (visible on level up and on the player status), which determines how many iframes you get on a roll (as well as the speed of use of consumables). Agility is calculated mainly from Adaptability (ADP) and a bit from Attunement (ATT). You can look up the wiki for exact break points, but general advice would be to pump ADP until you reach 99 Agility, which will give you a comfortable roll akin to DS1. With your starting ADP, you will likely notice that you get hit a lot when you thought you rolled in time, that will be the reason, and it's easy enough to fix. Don't stress it with regards to "wasted" level ups, the game throws a lot of levels at you so you'll have ample time to pump up your favourite stats.

If you have only played DS1 too, Estus in DS2 takes the form it'll have in all subsequent games. You'll have one charge of it, and will permanently increase that by one for each Estus Flask Shard that you find. Another item, called Sublime Bone Dust, can be burned at the bonfire in Majula to increase Estus strength (+1, +2, etc). There's no more bonfire kindling. Note that Estus is not instant in DS2, but a fast-ish regeneration which will feel agonisingly slow coming from DS1.

Still on healing, the game has life gems: consumables giving you some slow regeneration for a bit. These are ultimately available in infinite stock so don't be afraid to use them.

Each time you die, you hollow up a bit, reducing your max health, up to 50% if you die a lot. This can be reset by using a Human Effigy (akin to Humanity in DS1), and the penalty can be halved by wearing a specific ring (won't spoil location unless asked, but it's there), so while it feels incredibly punishing at first, it's not that big of a deal, really. Plus you should be pumping VIG regularly to increase your max HP anyhow.

At a bonfire, you can press Y to change the action from 'sit at bonfire' to 'light up torch'. You can also light up your torch at some lit sconces. This is kind of a big deal. With the torch in hand, you light up the area around you, which is nice in some dark areas, but you can also set some things on fire, mostly sconces. Lighting up sconces makes some dark areas very pretty and occasionally does things. Your torch has a timer for how long it lasts, and each torch that you loot from enemies will extend that timer, so you shouldn't be able to run out of time with it and by endgame have over an hour of torch time available. So don't hesitate to take it out in dark areas, it looks pretty and it's useful, though it keeps your left hand occupied and unavailable for a second weapon, shield or two-handing.

Secret doors don't open with a weapon strike, but by pressing the A button. So hug walls and press A instead of breaking your weapon and wondering why there are no secret doors in this game.

If you kill the same enemy too many times, it will stop respawning. This will ensure any area you struggle with will eventually become a lot easier. There's a covenant called Covenant of Champions which you might find early on. It increases difficulty a bit (more HP/damage for enemies) and makes all enemies spawn even if they shouldn't anymore. This is convenient for farming souls/items should you want to. Just remember to leave that covenant once you're done.

Forget DS1 preconceptions about playing "the right way" and pack a bow/crossbow and ammo. Even completely unupgraded. It's a really useful tool and will go a long way to preserve your sanity in some rough areas. Think of the pure melee as a challenge once you've been through the game once.

There are no mimics in DS2. Rejoice!

Early game is brutal (low ADP, few healing options, hollowing, some hilariously bullshit hitboxes for one-shot grab attacks), but don't give up. It really eases up past the first few areas.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 22, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Shields aren't bad at all yeah. Even early on, you can grab the Blue Wooden Shield with 85% physical mitigation in the forest of fallen giants, as well as the Drangleic Dhield and it's 100% mitigation post-Pursuer. Stability is a different story, and that's the main advantage of heavy shields, but medium ones do a decent job to tank arrows or an occasional single big hit. Llike other weapons too, shield stats including mitigation/stability improve with upgrades, so if you like your shield, you should upgrade it.

And well, there's always the Blossom Kite Shield for improving your stamina regen and looking fab at the same time.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If you're not powerstancing two Great Hammers or UGS, then it's just stancing. :colbert:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Another loop complete, on a faith build which I hadn't done in a long while. Not quite complete as a few bosses are still alive: Gank Squad, Sir Weeabo, Lud&Zallen as well as the Chariot which I intended to go back to but completely forgot about.

Miracles are cool, but they really take a while before starting to dish respectable damage. Basically around Amana when you finally get Sunlight Blade with faith around 40-50. Lightning infused weapons do a good job all around, and once spell-buffed pack a pretty decent punch. Rolled with the starting Mace just to beeline a Claymore from Vengarl, and used that most of the run. Started playing with the Archdrake Mace after getting a few to drop in Amana and enjoyed it enough to use it instead for a change of pace. Never used it before as far as I can remember, and it's a good looking polehammer. It's technically a Great Hammer, but comes with a Halberd moveset including the cool double spin. It doesn't do as much damage as the Claymore, but feels ever slightly faster on R1s and does a ton of poise damage so the stunlocks made it a viable alternative even when it required one extra hit compared to the big sword. Used it for the late bosses with Ivory King, Throne Duo, Nash and Aldia all getting polehammered.

Fume was a notable exception, as both Claymore and Archdrake Mace were too slow for me to swing and roll out in time, so I ended up using the stupidly good Craftman's Hammer for him, lightning infused too to keep with the theme. I also had an old apprehension about Dark Lurker, but turns out, when you can cast Great Magic Barrier to tank and spam Lightning Spears, well, it's a lot easier.

Tried to sunbro everywhere, but not too many takers outside of the annual event, so I'm not even close to Sunlight Spear even at the end. And I'm just realising that I picked up the Splintering Lightning Spear in a DLC but forgot to attune it, pity.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Went in as 'Findom Waifu', a (eventually Desert) sorceress with a whip. The plan is to summon simp-bros and let them kill mobs/bosses to earn souls for me while I do nothing at the back. Summons were sparse last night though, will see how it picks up over the weekend.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

rye on white posted:

are the white knights in heides just a pain in the rear end to try to kill
:hmmyes:

They have some insane poise and extremely sudden attacks.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

This is why I love this game (and Scholar) so much. Even when you know/suspect it, the game will eventually manage to get you through jank, carelessness or both.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Make sure you bring a torch and light up all the sconces. It's a cool thing to do in general, and a good way to instantly spot where you have been and haven't been, but No Man's Wharf and Gutter are particularly pretty once fully lit.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Hey fellow Bearseekseeklesters, just found out that the Speed Souls crowd is doing an entire DS2 marathon for the game's 10 year anniversary. Currently a 2p race for scholar any%, but a lot more coming.

Stream: https://twitch.tv/soulsspeedruns
Schedule: https://oengus.io/marathon/ds2bday/schedule

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

90sgamer posted:

Seems like once a stat hits 25-30 each level after that is only adding +1 so your better off putting the souls into other stats

Unless you want to powerstance two UGS, which generally should be in anyone's life priorities.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just invest into everything and go Mundane! Don't. It's terrible.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

I plan on being a heavily armored, big dumb idiot just like in real life thank you very much. Strength build, biggest dumbest weapons, heaviest armor I can carry below fat roll.

Sounds like we'll have a new great club club member soon.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Respawn cap is great. It's inconsequential if you're good and don't need 14 attempts at the same area, it's inconsequential if you want to farm since CoC is a thing, and it's an absolute blessing to bad players struggling with some areas. I really, really, really enjoyed that cap in Iron Keep my first time through the game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

Scholar of the First Win.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

I have found the large club. Hello, old friend, you and me did wonderful things together in Lordran.

Might work towards using it instead of the mace.

Make sure you try a parry/riposte or a backstab with it. The DS2 pancaking animation is brilliant.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Dragonrider Bow is great yeah, it's one of if not the best STR bow. And unless you're a hardcore melee purist, having a ranged weapon makes life a lot easier in many rough spots.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
As long as you don't plan to kill every single mob and do the boss in a single bonfire run, durability shouldn't be that much of an issue with the exception of some paper-thin weapons (Old Whip, Washing Pole...) and well, that late boss. You should be safe enough with a couple repair powders in the bag in case the issue happens during a boss fight. It's just frustrating as it makes some cool weapons like the Washing Pole a lot less fun than they should be.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

90sgamer posted:

God drat it gently caress darklurker. I’ve wasted more than 50 effigies at this point and wasted my whole night

Lightning. It's insanely weak to lightning. If you can chuck lightning spears, go for it, failing that, resins will also help a lot.

Mustached Demon posted:

Fought the skeleton pit boss. I almost died because I was laughing too much. Kill a big skeleton and piles of little skeletons bwahahaha gets me every time. I love skeleton silliness.

Have you encountered another skeletal boss? If not, I'd encourage you to re-explore the area before that boss. It's completely optional so no biggie, but if you like skeletons, you don't want to miss this one.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 23, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Thank you, now I'm picturing it hauling hundreds of dancing skeletons.

Defeated a giant demon slug and headless snake lady. She threw her head at me then got a tail full of sword. Ladder bro told me about her so I was prepared for poison.

I now have two places to go: the pit in majula (thanks ladder bro) and iron keep. Which one has cool armor? I haven't upgraded any armor yet (wearing drangleic chest, royal sword hat) because I don't completely like the look. Looking for heavier stuff because big man smash.

Not sure for armour, but Iron Keep has a cool boss weapon UGS if you're in big man smash mode.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Elissimpark posted:

Laddersmith Gilligan feels like the most DS2 NPC. Don't exactly know what that means nor able to explain why, so don't ask.

Nah, that would be Maldron.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Went to iron keep and did battle with many knights. So many knights. They jump out from behind every pillar and window. Knights... Everywhere.

I think by the time I finally defeated the forge demon I had amassed like 150k souls. Demon was a damage sponge with some sneaky stuff.

Time to craft yourself that Smelter Sword from the soul. It's not the best weapon ever, but it does pack a punch and it looks :discourse:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Scorpion bro had it coming with his divorced/incel energy.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's a good thing there's a preamble above the picture, because otherwise that kinda seemed legit. Like, you can kill everything in Majula except for Shalquoir, she knows all about you and your quest, and she sells you stuff that a cat has no business with (tbf cats so tend to acquire a lot of poo poo they have no business with) in exchange for souls. She talks too, but that might be the least abnormal thing about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Lore question: don't spoil it with details but is the king I'm seeking the DS1 chosen undead? Four souls seem to be the souls that got chucked in the soul vessel going off their descriptions.

No but also kinda.