Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

BlueDestiny posted:

Some of my favorite weapons in DS1 were the odd things like whips and fists, but they were generally much weaker than pretty much every other conventional weapon (no whip crits :argh:). Has that changed for DS2?

A powerstanced dual-caestus character is super-fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is the whole thing where you lose a chunk of your health when you die as dumb unnecessary bullshit as it sounds?

It's fine. It never goes below 50%, there's something you can use to limit the effect (and thing you can abuse to prevent it entirely).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

This game is loving hard. I'm at 50% hp, have no health items, die pretty often at that drat forest with 3 enemies and ugh. Lost thousands of souls and haven't even unlocked leveling yet.

I assume you've left the tutorial area, Things Betwixt? You can level up as soon as you reach Medula, talk to people there.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

The default keybindings are hilariously bad- primary attack is right-click and vice versa, power attacks are double-click.

This means your right hand is RMB and left hand is LMB? Makes perfect sense considering the console controls.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

After 100 hours on PS3, the load times in this version are astonishing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The summoning rate for BellBros is crazy at the moment, and I love meeting them down at the entrance because chances artery good that they'll accidentally agro the covenant guy

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This game does look good on PC.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Some of these bonfire placements are retarded (looking at you, Earthen Peak). It makes me want to despawn enemies.

There's only like six enemies between you and the boss from the second bonfire, and you can shoot the poison pots next to the two of them to kill them no problem.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, I'm totally stuck and i can't work this part out at all so, could somebody just give me a hand on how to get past this part?

first, these things kill me, i can take one of them down but that's it

and if i manage to get passed them i run into this guy who kills me faster!

this game is loving impossible, i know it's meant to be hard but this is absurd, i don't even have a weapon and i'm either being gang banged by goblins or killed by cyclops monsters!

The things in the first don't aggro you so don't fight them. The ogre you come back to. Just go to the hut and start the game proper before trying to fight anything.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Crusher posted:

So I spent 3 hours last night protecting Belfry Luna with my shirtless bodybuilder. Powerstance dual cestus is still obscenely powerful in PvP for stun locking and guard breaking. I've got no idea what I'll do with 40+ titanite cynks, but that bell sure is safe.

Last night I got summoned alongside another Bellbro using that muscleman dual cestus so I guess that's either you or it's a much-imitated character. I'm playing dual cestus too (though as a fat lady currently in Drangleic mail) and it's pretty fn having two of you just pummelling the guy to death.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

Turns out that all you need to activate the pre-order weapons is a text file. :v:

It's in the /DLC/License folder, named license05.bin. If you open it up the contents are just "DLC06 DARK SOULS II Sales gimmick". I get the feeling someone didn't appreciate a marketing department forcing them to have a pre-order.

That's legitimately hilarious.

DrNutt posted:

So, about these soapstones... I have already beat the first major boss of the game and still don't have a way to drop a summoning sign. Did I miss something obvious? I'm about to head out to Heide's but I feel like I'm missing out on part of the Dark Souls experience.

One is upstairs from that main bonfire. For the other, talk to the guy sat beside that portcullis trap.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sober posted:

If I had to work on that I would've promoted an exclusive portable soul item pre-order bonus that turns only grants you one single soul when you use it.

I'm sure people would've gotten mad that some people got a +1 soul advantage anyway :v:

More like people would have been mad that the 1 soul advantage means they're not getting the true Dark Souls experience.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Robot Randy posted:

That's it. The CoC bumps you up in the invasion queue and removes the timer, disables co-op, and increases boss health.

On another note, it should be required to leave words of encouragement for skeletons

One thing I've discovered is that people really like messages about skeletons.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

Yep, (un)living or dead. My message about skeletons isn't even a joke but a genuine warning and it still gets rated the most out of any others I think.

My highest rated on PC so far is one outside the Huntsman Copse boss saying 'skeleton ahead and then skeleton ahead', which is pretty accurate too.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

PirateBob posted:

It's pretty drat heavy though. Puts me way above 70% encumberment. What's more important, generally, having lots of armor, or being able to roll quickly? :confused:

Probably depends entirely on how you play, but I like to stay below 70. You don't have to wear the whole set anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

NamePolice posted:

Is there a chart anywhere that shows recommended SM for each area? I'm Sunbroing at Old Iron King right now and I have a SM of 900k. I've heard there's a door that opens when you get 1M SM and I don't want to skip a significant of the game because of that, since I still only have one Great Soul from the Lost Sinner.

You don't have to open that door though! just do whatever.

I did a ton of summons for that boss and still get summoned quickly at over a million SM. You'll probably be able to get summoned at least for the four big bosses for a while yet.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lugaloco posted:

Man, Velstadt was quite the fight :stare:

So I've killed the Throne Watcher/Defender, where do I go from here? There's a door with a chasm I clearly can't reach and I still haven't seen the area with all the dragons from the trailers.

There's another area from the Shaded Wood crossroads that requires the King's Ring.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I was initially disappointed that DS2 got rid of the ridiculous floppy ragdolls from the previous game, but I guess this'll do.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Moola posted:

So the game definetely uses your easily changeable steam name as the name that shows up in game right?

Wanna change my name to PUNCH BRO! so my enemies know what to expect before they meet my fists! :black101:

It uses character name, I'm afraid.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

HellCopter posted:

I swear guys, Lucatiel totally hulked up and wrecked all the bosses! Maybe that calibration is only on the PS3? Because original Lucatiel was less than useless. Now she has more health than the boss does.

Yeah, she's beefed up on the PC too. Had no problem getting her through Smelter this time.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Nah, Freja is the pet of the guy you murder right after fighting her.

The Duke? Wonder if he keeps archives.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I killed a Crystal Lizard on a wooden bridge and it didn't drop anything what the hell. :mad:

Could have fallen through the bridge. That happens.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DreadNite posted:

For those who have put a bunch of hours into this already and played the first Dark Souls, how you would you compare it against the first? I'll be picking it up tomorrow and am looking forward to playing it but wanted to hear what you guys thought.

No spoilers please! :D

Probably going to get a wide range of answers here, there's no real consensus. Personally, I really like the tweaks to the mechanics and the increased variety in the levels but a lot of people don't like that the world has a much less cohesive design. I love it though, more than the last one. And there aren't any areas that feel completely phoned-in the way a couple of the late game DS ones do.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This is a good look for me.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kawabata posted:

You kind of overlooked the dozens of posters and several reviews that are complaining about this game being the cheapest Dark Souls.

I don't remember any deaths in this one as cheap as the bit in DS1 where the drake comes from nowhere to toast the bridge, or the first time you encounter a mimic. Neither is remotely predictable.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

An hour and I only did five bell invasions. Blah. When should I expect it to pick up again? Soul memory 2 million?

NG+, I expect.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

FutonForensic posted:

The Vengarl armor set is also really good if you want to go for a barbarian look. Not bad stats either. You'll have to beat Brightstone Cove if you want to get the helmet, though.

No you don't, it's the other way around. You get the helmet early and the rest at the end of Brightstone Cove.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

That's the way it works. There are two areas in the game that are the Rat King's turf. If you walk into that area in your world, you can be summoned by someone in that covenant. The goal is to make it to the bonfire at the end while fighting the other player and his buddies and traps. If you win, you get a lockstone. If he wins, he gets a lockstone and a rat tail which is used to upgrade his covenant rank.

*EDIT*
It would be better if I could summon people to my Fun House with proper giant head gear but NOOOOOOOO.

I actually didn't realise until I did it on PC this time (after failing the couple of times I was summoned on PS3) but getting the end actually leaves you by the bonfire at the boss door, skipping the whole Grave of Saints. Which was. Ice, actually, all I had to do was race through the players world to the fog door.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Studio posted:

You can normally do that without having to deal with a player though

Well I usually kill everything everywhere

Just surprised because I thought it always dropped you right where you were.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Did I miss a left turn somewhere? I just went through The gutters, found myself in the black gulch, and beat The Rotten Boss but I could've sworn I heard something about a statue of a saint and a king of rats before I climbed down the hole in majula, it doesnt help that the place is dark as all hell so I'm sure I missed a door or tunnel or something.

Grave of Saints is the only one you can reach if you don't have the largest ladder. Get the cat ring and drop down to find it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Metanaut posted:

Do I have to actually be in Belfry Luna to bellbro? Even when I'm wearing the ring, all that happens is I get invaded. Although I just beat the gargoyles, does that make any difference?

There's several locations you can be summoned from, the covenant logo in the top-left will pulse when you're in a place you can be summoned from and are wearing the ring.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

At least Pinwheel has fireballs.

He did? I never had him survive long enough to see them.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The best accent in the game is clearly the broad Yorkshire of McDuff.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nuebot posted:

So I just started my second character when I realized something. There's no way to attune spells in a no bonfire run. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Do a no bonfire run on NG+ and attune your spells in NG.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

A.C. posted:

It was originally a bug, but they made it an actual feature in the patch before PC release.

No it wasn't, it was people misunderstanding of a mistranslated tweet that made people assume that. The bug was that it happened inconsistently, not that it happened at all.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I keep hearing about invincible hackers all the time but I'm pretty sure I haven't faced a single one despite spending a lot of time PvPing. Sometimes my attacks don't deal any damage but I'm 90% sure that's just lag and they actually dodged because afterwards they take damage just fine.

I'd fought a couple of people who might have been a little questionable, but just now was the first absolute definite hacker who was terrible at the game and despite me and another Bellbro absolutely wailing on him and poisoning him he didn't take any damage whatsoever. I don't know why out want to play the game that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Renegret posted:

I had a dude like that once but I think it was just supreme lag. He took damage but seemed to recover his HP unusually quickly. Eventually he got stuck in some sort of limbo where he stopped moving but wouldn't take damage, where he stayed until the invasion timed out.

I'm pretty sure his connection was just hilariously bad, like he was on a 28k modem or something, and he lagged out and disconnected. The health regen was probably him drinking flasks several seconds before I saw it.

I did have one guy like that today as well, actually, teleporting all around and not taking damage. This first guy definitely had a good connection though.