Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, as far as I know Vince barely watches movies. He famously thought Scott Hall doing Tony Montana was an original bit.

When Formerly Creative was still a thing one of the writers did talk about how Vince would go to the movies fairly often. His awareness of recent pop culture was basically zero in all regards, he wasn't that into sports(he couldn't name any current football players during the early XFL press), he got into AC/DC in the mid 2000s, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Shard posted:

Going back to food YouTube y'all really should do a deep dive on the cooking with Jack show. He's been doing it since 2009 and my daughter and I have watched almost every episode and it's like watching a man die in real time.

He's had 3 strokes and at this point he thinks it's because of all the fruits and vegetables he ate because the government uses poisonous pesticides. Now he's on that carnivore poo poo
He really is a train wreck watch. An example of his "cooking"
:nms:

If I remember right he described as "a little under done" Didn't stop the dude from eating it though.

My favorite is when he details how he won't win the church chili cookoff not because of the year long frozen brisket he uses but because he's not a cheater

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I don't remember what movie it was but there's a story in The Hardcore Diaries where Mick has to compare an angle he wants to run to an old Western movie just to get Vince to understand the concept of "the heel doesn't immediately accept the face's challenge" or something like that. It was wild.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Quid posted:

If I remember right he described as "a little under done" Didn't stop the dude from eating it though.

My favorite is when he details how he won't win the church chili cookoff not because of the year long frozen brisket he uses but because he's not a cheater

I don't think I've ever seen Jack cook chicken that didn't come out completely pink and gushing blood, like somehow he never learned that white meat and red meat are different and you can't just have Rare Chicken???

Also he's bragged multiple times about beating the poo poo out of his kid so it's hard to feel bad for all the salmonella he's ingested over the years

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

coconono posted:

Vince McMahon is a Harvey Weinstein cosplayer

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

When Formerly Creative was still a thing one of the writers did talk about how Vince would go to the movies fairly often. His awareness of recent pop culture was basically zero in all regards, he wasn't that into sports(he couldn't name any current football players during the early XFL press), he got into AC/DC in the mid 2000s, etc.
This gets brought up a lot, but:

1. Vince McMahon was on set/in the studio for the Rock's Saturday Night Live hosting gig in March 2000 with AC/DC as the musical guest and Mick Foley (also present) talked about Vince McMahon dancing terribly to their soundcheck.
2. AC/DC's Highway to Hell was used incessantly in the run-up to and the actual Summerslam 1998.
3. Jim Ross talks about thinking he was going to die when he was first signing to a WWF contract in the early 1990s and Vince took him out in a car, cranked AC/DC, and drove incredibly recklessly while hotboxing Jim Ross with farts.

Not that it is any particular credit to him as a human being, but it seems clear that Vince was aware of/into AC/DC prior to the mid 2000s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

This gets brought up a lot, but:

1. Vince McMahon was on set/in the studio for the Rock's Saturday Night Live hosting gig in March 2000 with AC/DC as the musical guest and Mick Foley (also present) talked about Vince McMahon dancing terribly to their soundcheck.
2. AC/DC's Highway to Hell was used incessantly in the run-up to and the actual Summerslam 1998.
3. Jim Ross talks about thinking he was going to die when he was first signing to a WWF contract in the early 1990s and Vince took him out in a car, cranked AC/DC, and drove incredibly recklessly while hotboxing Jim Ross with farts.

Not that it is any particular credit to him as a human being, but it seems clear that Vince was aware of/into AC/DC prior to the mid 2000s.

Yes he was aware of them and then got into them in the 2000s.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And the 1900s

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

before then it was just his car-fart-hotboxing music

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

JethroMcB posted:

I take issue with the bolded bit, because I don't think Vince truly understands or appreciates any form of art. I think he simply wanted to self-mythologize himself into something "better" than a multi-millionaire carnie, saw movie producers as the closest analog to what he was doing and ran with that idea. Do that long enough and, brother, you'll work yourself into a shoot.

he wanted to be walt disney

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the scooby doo movie taking place in a city themed after the WWE is vince's dream he wants a big city or hell even a planet themed after his product

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the scooby doo movie taking place in a city themed after the WWE is vince's dream he wants a big city or hell even a planet themed after his product

The WrestleMania as portrayed in Scooby-Doo is weird.

Shaggy and Scooby get their debut match in the industry as the opening match of WrestleMania, which is already weird enough. But then it turns from a tag-team match to open the show into a Last Man Standing match to close the show (and yes, this is the same match) against, of all people, Kane.

And then Scooby goes over and wins the belt, because aint no rule that says a dog can't be WWE champion.

And yet, it's still a better show than WrestleMania 32.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TinTower posted:

The WrestleMania as portrayed in Scooby-Doo is weird.

Shaggy and Scooby get their debut match in the industry as the opening match of WrestleMania, which is already weird enough. But then it turns from a tag-team match to open the show into a Last Man Standing match to close the show (and yes, this is the same match) against, of all people, Kane.

And then Scooby goes over and wins the belt, because aint no rule that says a dog can't be WWE champion.

And yet, it's still a better show than WrestleMania 32.

Granted I have never watched this but to me that doesn't seem weird compared to this:

https://twitter.com/5Deuce4Tre7/status/1238069724124196865

All time great Deuce.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mm. Yes. Perhaps some sort of... "company town." I will assume without looking at any historical example these work out well.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

quote:

I have never seen an AEW match, but from what I understand they are basically just a series of dangerous botches.

If you look at this guy's other posts you find out that he's lying because he talks about AEW storylines, but he's very stupid about it. Like the post where he theorizes that The Devil could be William Regal, because "Samoa Joe had a past with him from NXT".

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

This would explain Vince's mustache look.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i am vince mcmahon and i am here to ask you... is a sports entertainer not entitled to the sweat of my brow?

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

MassRafTer posted:

Granted I have never watched this but to me that doesn't seem weird compared to this:

https://twitter.com/5Deuce4Tre7/status/1238069724124196865

All time great Deuce.

The worst part of living in the WWE arcology is having to fight in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal every year to keep my spot. I've lost 3 roommates that way. 😔

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

He wanted to be a cult leader. And he did.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
WWE City, the only city where any given day about 1/3rd of the population suddenly disappears without warning

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Quid posted:

If I remember right he described as "a little under done" Didn't stop the dude from eating it though

You've heard of spatchcocked chicken, get ready for BOTCHCOCKED CHICKEN!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/JulianWks/status/1772754302949564815

Man who almost certainly gets emailed the fast nationals from WWE every Thursday and Sunday to tweet out takes pot-shots at the "stopwatch community".

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Look at all these nerds paying attention to things

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's right

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It's even weirder because the length and number of matches on a card (and the talent therein) actually can correlate roughly to someone's enjoyment of a wrestling product. After all, the only reason why women's wrestling in the West is worth half a poo poo in 2024 is because people started getting really pissed off that, between the two major American promotions at the time, the women's divisions had basically become some super-green ex-supermodel being squashed by one of the Bella twins in a two minutes on SmackDown, with an occasional match on Raw if the fed wanted people to watch Total Divas.

But who the gently caress gives a gently caress about the detail of the 18–49 demo these days? Even the studios don't obsess over it like they used to.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm a numbers nerd, so I love data collectors, and it's generally nice if there's some facts one can use to make a point, compare how the things have changed, etc.

On the other hand throwing numbers around, cherry picking etc. can be used to fuel really stupid arguments.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Loaded up Youtube this morning and this crap was front and center on my recommendations...which is weird, since I've never clicked on any of the puppet's videos in this thread.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This thread got me to click on one of his videos out of morbid curiosity, and I had forgotten just how viscerally sickening bad puppetry is

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Did anyone watch it out of morbid curiosity to see how some of these guys actually sound

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It's three loving hours long. :negative:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Justin_Brett posted:

Did anyone watch it out of morbid curiosity to see how some of these guys actually sound

It had a staggering 1.5k views when it was pushed at me so...probably not.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TinTower posted:

It's three loving hours long. :negative:

Thank you for the mental sacrifice you are about to make

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin_Brett posted:

Someone posted a screenshot of the recording and of course none of them turned their cameras on.

Not even the puppet guy!

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

Someone posted a screenshot of the recording and of course none of them turned their cameras on.

Not even the puppet guy!

that’s just them being smart given that aew freakazoids are known for doxxing, harassment, and even stealing christmas presents

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/theantimarkofpw/status/1771723045851336859

man, they get really soft when you point out that smackdown is basically two hours of yapping these days

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TinTower posted:

man, they get really soft when you point out that smackdown is basically two hours of yapping these days

CINEMA

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TinTower posted:

Pfft, look at the square who wants wrestling on their wrestling show. Worst part about it, ask anybody.*

*Who is a weird fedpill.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TinTower posted:

Funny thing is this goes back to the MNW era too. 38 minutes of wrestling on a WWE show back then would have been considered a lot.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Like, I get making some allowances because WWE is traditionally light on wrestling and they're building to the biggest show of the year, but even then, you'd still want more than ten minutes of wrestling per television hour, as had happened with one SmackDown a couple of weeks ago (I think the "official figure" was 28 minutes, but a good third of that was behind commercial breaks).

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Funny thing is this goes back to the MNW era too. 38 minutes of wrestling on a WWE show back then would have been considered a lot.

oh, dude, matches were under 3 minutes if they weren't the main event, and even then. no one was shoving al snow and mideon out there and expecting a mat classic. I did a watch of 00s wwe a while back, cause I p much dropped out post invasion at the time, thats probably the best era for wwe in ring where it feels like a substantial part of the show, at least smackdown def did for a while. the storylines in that era were...... rough though like... rougher than the attitude era tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

shiksa posted:

oh, dude, matches were under 3 minutes if they weren't the main event, and even then. no one was shoving al snow and mideon out there and expecting a mat classic. I did a watch of 00s wwe a while back, cause I p much dropped out post invasion at the time, thats probably the best era for wwe in ring where it feels like a substantial part of the show, at least smackdown def did for a while. the storylines in that era were...... rough though like... rougher than the attitude era tbh

I just pulled up an old CRZ raw report from this time in 1999 (https://slashwrestling.com/raw/990329.html) and there was 8 matches and 28:24 bell time total.