Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
smdh at another reporter being hired only to job to Jade. Hasn't she dunked on Tony enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rarity posted:

Look, Hunter is completely unrelated to his father-in-law it's just no reasonable to expect them to have any connection

a good question to ask would be how Hunter feels about a major shareholder, booker, and creative for WWE ceasing to exist, and if he's afraid the same might happen to him the moment he leaves Ariel's field of vision

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is exactly it. They want the 80s WWF where the 400lb milkman fights the 350lb mailman

Modern wrestling fans don't give a poo poo about a wrestler's fake regular day job

i have been called out as an 80's wrestling mark

but yeah it's hard to see a gimmick that makes a big deal about a wrestler's day job getting over in aew

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
And Maki Itoh is an idol singer/the cutest in the world, it's still her character in the ring too

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Im glad someone was finally brave enough to stand up and say there is exactly no difference between Britt Baker and Issac Yankum

I also expect her to become a mayor post retirement, maybe of Brittsburg?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

My favorite reply to that thread was the perso who was letting you know that if he'd been in that position he'd used his MMA training to make sure the other guy lost an eye and got seriously hosed up. Cool dude, thanks for letting us know you imagine you could murder wrestlers.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MassRafTer posted:

All Japan was funny in that period because they started to get stale quality wise and drawing wise which meant like, 4.75 star matches instead of 5, brought Vader in and were awesome for another year before the split.

In funny feud news, The Snob was complaining how he didn't want soy boys from Dragon Gate to infiltrate NOAH, got into an argument with Trevor and lost so badly he locked his account. Only have one screenshot of the exchange but it's pure Wrestling Done Right.

I always imagine these guys as the sort who would have trouble going up a flight of stairs without getting winded when they complain about how unbelievable a lean athlete in the 170-200 range winning matches is to them.
Like I'm sorry, even Riho would probably kick your butt in a real fight, and generally the story of those matches isn't "Darby overpowered Brodie King"
Especially since it's never directed at genuinely small wrestlers like Marco Stunt, it's always Darby, Adam Cole, or more recently Hook.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I remember reading rumors that TK would have been more likely to sign off on that appearance earlier in the year -whether because Gunn wasn't really on TV before the Acclaimed storyline really grew legs, or because of the attempted talent poaching WWE engaged in soured him to cooperation with them.

But yeah, it's not like WWE would repay the favor and have Charlotte cheer Andrade on during a match or have Cody's name still attached to the training gym his family runs.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 20, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I would prefer people suffer fewer real injuries for my entertainment, though I also never stopped to think maybe slaps are as dangerous as some of the ridiculous things wrestlers do. I'm also a dumb mark who gets kind of put off by stuff like barb wire matches or non trick weapons hitting people though not enough to say psychos like Kingston or Mox who love that stuff shouldn't be allowed to.
All of them should get taken care of medically and deserve a union imo

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lol even the comments are full of how actually the poor jobber who was nearly killed by unsafe liberties being taken (which is 100% different than when wrestlers would work stiff in the regions era btw) is just covering for Athena because she's afraid of what would happen if she speaks out
who are you gonna believe? The wrestler and fans who know who she is? Or the experts who didn't even realize she wasn't Kylie King

tbf when I first saw the gif I thought it might have been Kilynn too, just because of the hair, but at least I know who she is and her name.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

clearly just another no name from the indie circuit trying not to get on TK's shitlist

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SG Bamboo posted:

"The opinion that actually counts is your boss's opinion" is the old Vinceism "you don't like what you like, you like what I tell you to like"

I read it much more as "don't listen to twitter weirdos saying they hate you, if your boss likes your work you're gonna be fine" as wrestling advice, especially since he's in a company where the wrestlers seem to have a lot more freedom in terms of character and storyline, TK is just booking his dream matches.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

That whole thread is full of 'ah well never the less.." where the guy keeps admitting everything he said is factually wrong, but still TK is basically wrestlehitler and actively destroying the industry.

Like this is the closest bit of truth he has, yes Tony wouldn't do Forbidden Door 2 in Japan, but his talent has been freely going and appearing in NJPW stuff since then

Duke Pukem posted:

made Impact look bad? LOL

His logic: Sure it's a matter of fact that impact got way more viewers during Kenny's reign, and AEW cross polinated interest in Impact, but because Impact talent were losing to Kenny it means the entire show was diminished.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 24, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Right, and that's the closest the guy gets to not being 100% factually wrong, and admitting as much and saying "but still..."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
like Jim wouldn't have given his right hand to get his wrestlers booked on a local tv station like that back in the day

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
*Jim Cornette-ishly* but my regional show was cheap bullshit and modern wrestling promos with big money shouldn't be like that! Anyway here's an hour long rant about why wrestling needs to be exactly how it was when I ran a cheap regional show out of high school gyms...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I can't read 'sports entertainment' and not hear it in Daddy Magic's voice now, someone please help

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Drakkel posted:

Didn't he win the match tonight?
if I had more bad aew opinions I would probably not post "<talent> is wasted" on days they're booked. Inevitably you get a ton of times that a few hours after you post the person wins a belt or gets a win in a match that drives the crowd wild. Like my favorite was people crying about Keith and Swerve being wasted like 5 minutes before they became tag champs

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wrestling also appeals to a certain type of fan in a way that only certain other media can. Anything that has a lot of meaningless info to gather, classify, and then lord over as "intelligence" gets these dudes.

I just wanna watch big and little people in cool costumes do tricks or have soap operas about magic urns, betrayal, and space jam tie-ins, oh also Sammy getting chased by golf carts

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lamuella posted:

I think a possible problem Abadon faces is that as a nonverbal singles character it's sometimes tough for them to build a story. It's notable to me that my favourite Abadon moment is when they teamed with Ryo Mizunami as they had someone to properly play off.

Thinking about that, I'm wondering if you could have them team with Max The Impaler as a kind of "non binary horror monsters" team. This is partly because I want to see people react to Max like Pom Harajuku did.

Yeah the Joshi seem to get and know how to react to Abadon. I'm pretty sure I saw them put on a decent dark match with Emi once too.
There was that cute photoshoot storyline with Britt getting zombified after the last Halloween match with Abadon too.
I also think it's cool that every time I see Abadon they're getting better and also in better shape, and from what I've heard have Danhausen & MJF levels of dedication to being in character when in makeup.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

rotinaj posted:

Then he should go talk to Caster and Bowens because i put the overness entirely on them :colbert:

Knowing who to hitch your wagon to is a skill, he and his boys would still be dark exclusive, but they wound up teamed with and/or feuding with three of the most popular AEW wrestlers and got tv matches and ppv buyins out of it.

Also man does facebook scrape literally all text on your phone, I read those comments about the humman dude today and less than 3 hours later I'm getting suggested posts of him

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
"Come fight me! You know where to find me if you don't like the stuff I'm saying. Wait why are there angry people coming to see me without provocation? Better start swinging!"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shard posted:

When you think about it aren't all matches repeats? What's the point of any of them. What's the point of anything for that matter

I've heard a rumor that tony has even fixed the matches, pretty hosed up if true

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
At least she roasted him, but gently caress is it depressing seeing the poo poo people spew at Nyla.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

History Comes Inside! posted:

Even easier, instead of referring to a master list of dickheads in the OP, just don’t post bigoted tweets ITT

Yeah, like it's not a matter of kanefan420 tweets shouldn't pop up, it's don't post the tweet if the bad opinion is just them being a bigot.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

History Comes Inside! posted:

They don’t like the wrestling part of wrestling, they like promos and catchphrases and backstage segments full of wacky antics and kerazzy characters.

But also they want down to earth believable characters who really make it look like they're in a fight (no blood though)

The same poster when Danielson is winning: "Why are they burying all of the young talent to put over a guy past his prime? Danielson is still amazing, but Tony is ruining the careers of the future of wrestling by having the Garcias, Yutas, and Guevaras take losses or not win cleanly!"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 12, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MassRafTer posted:

Took Vince 2+ years to run his first ECW PPV after the purchase and Tony managed to run his first ROH PPV before his purchase was even finalized so he's way ahead of Vince.

I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, but Tony is fishing for a TV deal for ROH. The inclusion of ROH stuff on AEW TV and PPVs has been to pitch that ROH has demand too.
Though he's also talked about how big of a get ROH was for their library of old matches as content for when he has an AEW digital streaming service, so I can see where it also feels like he's marrying the two products.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Edge & Christian posted:

The other thing that is confusing about this entire take is that it's the Elite's entrance theme and the Young Bucks were trying to trademark Wayward Sons for their merch/possibly a trios name so like... why would this be about CM Punk?

If Parker Boudreaux changed his ring name to The Creep and he started coming out to Radiohead's Creep would people interpret this as a veiled dig at Triple H for being a creep and firing him?

Depends on how much of my identity is wrapped up in Triple H and everything attached to WWE being evil and bad

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
When you need to drive engagement for your wrestling fan page, but haven't actually watched the ppv or media scrum you're reporting on

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MassRafTer posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/22/politics/political-tensions-wrestling/index.html

CNN wrote a puff piece about Beau James and The Progressive Liberal and how much heat it gets, what a big deal it is, etc. It's very silly.

It's made even sillier when you look at Dan Richards on cagematch and see he's barely wrestled in the last few years! Cagematch isn't exhaustive, he's clearly had a couple matches as The Progressive Liberal that aren't there, but when a guy is making so little dent in wrestling that he can't even get his matches in cagematch it's hilarious that another outlet got worked by Beau James into thinking this gimmick is a big deal. Granted it has been a few years since the last pieces, but it's still funny.

Yeah that strikes me as just recycling an article they started in 2016 but couldn't rush out with the other breathless reporting on him.
At the time I thought it was a cute way to stand out among the school gym/Veterans Hall jobbers. It's weird that mainstream news picked up the story again though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Big Dave posted:

Yeah, he was the babyface in a regular handicap tag match against two guys in masks who kept repeating trump catchphrases

That sucks so much rear end. Progressive Liberal is a heel gimmick. Like the whole point is a smug rear end in a top hat who thinks he knows better than you.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Progressive liberal+capitalist tag team is the real money idea that they're just ignoring.
:yeah:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Elephant Ambush posted:

I wasn't watching when The Fiend was a thing but wasn't Fiend merch the best selling merch after he debuted the gimmick? I'm not saying that was must see TV or anything but a ton of people super into it and WWE made a ton of money from it

Yeah I wasn't following either, but I remember seeing the fiend and how it was pushed and thinking it was a relaly dumb gimmick on par with Finn Balor's demon, but goons and some friends said the firefly funhouse were good segments and I never realized fiend and firefly were connected.

But I love danhausen and marked out when evil danhausen came out with his older pazuzu makeup, so wrestling fans are fickle and dumb

I am the wrestling fans. I'm fickle and dumb

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 24, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
elon please make this brand unblock me so I can scream about it more in their timeline

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MassRafTer posted:

Thank you so much for making me aware of this story because The Progressive Liberal is a name searcher.

https://twitter.com/ProgressLib804/status/1597421503448256512

However The Liberal denies it!

https://twitter.com/ProgressLib804/status/1597427286374252551

He's answering in character and doing the lib thing where he answers questions like a fay trickster! You need to directly ask "Did a promoter apologize for a match you took part in?"
Because it wasn't technically a handicap match so he's not lying. Either that or maybe he tweeted it was opposite day immediately before responding to you

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Over on facebook I'm seeing a ton of really sad people trying to twist that interview as some sort of hint the whole thing is a work and Punk is coming back. Same with any professionalism where Tony isn't melting down at the mention of Punk or constantly making GBS threads on him.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

a truly shameless man, tony will tell any lie to protect his tv deal, smdh

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MassRafTer posted:

How dare he like some of the most popular movies of all time because some racist youtube videos said they were bad :(

you're mixing up the sequels and prequels, friend

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I blame the perfidious tony conman for this derail

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

it was kind of heartwarming the way he learned about libraries from the tweet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

no I'm the bigger cuckold because Roman Reigns is loving my wife!