Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dave continuing his WON Feud of the Year case:
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/622295278146588672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/627701664179355648

The responses are hilarious

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

What's the context for this?

Dana White calling wrestling fake and a bunch of people getting butthurt over it

Oh and @gradearadio is a great account for this thread as well

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/634916587884036096

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Meanwhile, over at Pro Wrestling Only, some poster thinks Meltzer's star ratings are serious god drat business, not to mention "a definite blotch on his credibility" :

quote:

shouldn't matter but Meltzer gave Cena v Rollins at SS the same rating as Bayley v Sasha at Takeover

*dismisses his opinion for life*

quote:

I can't really fathom how Cena/Rollins can be considered better unless you for some reason loving love Jon Stewart and always wanted to see him do something in WWE, which consists of apprximately zero people. It was complete crap for gawker shares and that's why I'm surprised and disappointed such a prominent critic (THE wrestling critic, he practically writes the history books folks) would rate it so highly.

Taker/Brock had a questionable ending too and there is the question of "should Brock lose to Taker in the first place?" but as a complete package, blew Cena-Rollins out of the loving park. Even if the wrestling in Cena v Rollins was more crisp or whatever, one of my least favourite match endings ever and it stands out more than most things. Like if he rates the Bucks/IWGP Junior Tag matches 4 and a quarter or whatever, good for him! I would call it overrating, but I appreciate a good spot-fest when done right, and groan when people whinge over and over about them. But this? Near-perfect? Do me a favour..

quote:

The very night before though, Bayley v Sasha WAS near-perfect though and gets given the same rating. There's only one increment between 4.5 and 5 so yes I think people equate that rating as being near perfect.

The wrestling before hand in Cena/Rollins was servicably fluent and crisp but it didn't tell much of a story like Brock v Taker or Bayley v Sasha. Jon Stewart, even if you like the idea of him being the deciding factor in a god drat title v title match (who's next? Ellen Degeneres gonna decide Wrestlemania's main event?), he nearly hosed the spot up (he ran up to Cena at first, then to Rollins, then back to Cena when surely he should be putting over the tease of that he was really gonna hit Rollins, THEN he nearly took the chair out of the ring with him before the decisive spot.) It was a complete shitwreck and a definite blotch on his credibility in my eyes, giving it anything more than 3 and a half is massively pushing it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

the Taker match was better

Yes

quote:

and Cena/Rollins had a far worse ending

No way

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I know David Shoemaker is low-hanging fruit, but his defense of the Authority booking as next-level reality heeling in Grantland was amazing.

I liked his fantasy draft where he chose only WWE guys.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

That may change one day. Isn't Sakuraba in, partially based on his fights in Pride?

He is. Masakatsu Funaki is also in.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Pretty much all of Cageside Seats is a shithole, but I got a laugh out of this:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2015/12/1/9827458/we-need-another-ruthless-aggression-speech-from-vince-mcmahon-for-the

quote:

Seriously.

On the June 24, 2002 edition of Monday Night Raw, Vince McMahon had the entire Raw roster standing on the apron, waiting to find out why they were there in the first place.

The subject of his speech was "ruthless aggression", finding out which superstars were willing to sacrifice everything in order to make it to the top of WWE.

He yelled, screamed, traded microphone exchanges with Booker T, got in the face of Bradshaw, Jeff Hardy, Bubba Ray Dudley, Rob Van Dam and even Trish Stratus. McMahon got under their skin, trying to find the inner aggression that he felt these superstars had, or lacked their of. It was highly motivational for the Raw roster that night.

They had just finished the Attitude Era, which ended the year prior once they acquired WCW in March of 2001. The Attitude Era went on from 1997-2001, and the company was embarking on a new era the following year, later dubbed "The Ruthless Aggression Era".

"Who among you wants it? That's all I'm asking. Who among you wants to become a superstar? Who among you is the next legend? Because if you don't want it, I drat sure don't want any of you!"

That's what Vince McMahon proposed in the middle of the ring to his roster (the brands were split at the time so he didn't give the speech to the ENTIRE roster but you get the point).

The need for the speech? Not sure. WWE was competing with themselves. No WCW. No ECW. They were competing from within as Raw and Smackdown split into two rosters. Some wrestlers from the Attitude Era either retired or left the company and it was up to the younger superstars to take advantage and make a name for themselves.

It wasn't the ratings because Raw was getting 3.5 and up during that time (slightly less than the Attitude Era).

It wasn't because it was a lack of talent (Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Kane, Big Show, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Jeff Hardy, The Rock, Stone Cold, Rob Van Dam and more were on the roster)

Maybe Vince McMahon just wanted to see something different. Maybe he wanted to test the superstar's limits to see how far they will go to reach the brass ring. It was Raw vs Smackdown and he wanted Raw to be the victor and would stop at nothing to achieve that.

And this is the beauty of the WWE Network. The ability to go back and watch old Monday Night Raw's and see something epic and important. And you know what? For the current roster, how ratings have been dwindling down and the excitement just isn't there for us fans, whether it's Vince McMahon or Mr. McMahon, we need another Ruthless Aggression speech for THIS current roster.

It should be Vince. Not Triple H. Not Stephanie. Vince and Vince only. Why? Because for starters, we haven't seen him on television for quite sometime, and every time you hear the "No Chance in Hell" theme blast through the speakers, it does get the crowd hyped because they don't know which angle he's going to come from. A speech from Vince McMahon would be the last thing anyone would expect, and that's a good thing because nowadays, things have been too predictable.

He should have the entire roster (excluding the injured ones) standing on the apron to open Monday Night Raw and give them that same - or modified speech because many wrestling fans across the world would agree that they need it.

They need to be woken up. They need to find that inner aggression. Find out who REALLY wants it. Separate those who are just happy to be there, and those who want to become legends.

Some will say this won't work because Vince McMahon has the final say to everything. But at the same time, onus goes on the wrestlers as well. If they look like they don't really want it, then Vince won't give it to them.

"All I'm saying tonight is I simply want you to do one thing - if you have it in you, and if you want to get it out of you, all you gotta do is just reach up, REACH UP DAMMIT and take it!"

That's how Vince McMahon ended his speech.

A speech in front of the crowd from Vince to his roster would shake things up. The wrestlers would be on notice from here on out. Everything that follows would mean just a bit more.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

World Elite is a way cooler stable name than League of Nations tbh.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

jesus christ that's some unfunny poo poo thrown at an unfortunate condition :/

Don't look up the clip they used to make fun of him after replacing him with Joey Styles in 2005. Top 5 all-time bad Raw segment.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Reigns would be instantly loved by everyone if he punched out Frank the Clown.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

No one has ****+ games with Georgia Tech.

Flair could carry a broomstick, but not even Calvin Johnson could carry Reggie Ball.

quote:

better wrestler: john rocker or ryan leaf?

Leaf merely had X-Pac heat. Heels nowadays would kill to have the "throwing batteries at you" heat that Rocker and JD Drew had.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 20, 2016

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

MRT's kayfabe hate of Asuka is hilarious.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/708081011620327424

Check out the discussion spawned from that tweet. Meltzer bringing out the crazies is always a good time.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

jfc Bix is STILL writing about the Hogan/Gawker suit

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I don’t remember the Batista/Triple H mania match being very good

It was pretty bad, as are most HHH matches at WM, because HHH is not a good pro wrestler.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I lurked thesmartmarks dot com constantly during the early-mid 2000s and posted there occasionally before it went to complete poo poo, and I still read DVDVR every now and then.

I'm also still waiting on Scotsman to review WCW Thunder.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Scott Keith calling the Harts the closest thing Canada ever had to a royal family is still hilarious to me

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

gotta hand it to Russo and Bischoff for finding a way to grift people who were probably babies during the Monday night wars

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

honest journalists like Rosenberg and Masked Man would never stoop to such tomfoolery

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

p sure Omega has told him to piss off as well

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

they just need the cool Inoki-ism stuff, like the loving insane Hashimoto/Ogawa postmatch brawls

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

millionaire hoot

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

how do these people feel about Flash Norton

Scott Norton owned in NJPW

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

yeah rovert is way worse than whoever that dude is

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I cannot believe that a place featuring a dude doing a countdown of unprotected chairshots to the head has people with less than stellar opinions on fake fighting.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

good lord

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I do enjoy HHH's ability to work the same kind of people who hated him 15 years ago

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

if there are people who are really into intergender wrestling who aren't gigantic loving creeps, I'm not aware of them

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

:yikes:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

twitter RP was worth it just for the dude who created a Jon Taffer RP account to mess with those people

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Who are the Mt Rushmore of Lucha Libre? El Santo, Blue Demon, Mil Mascaras and...?

ciclope

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

goldberg clowning people in 40 seconds

this owns tho

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

thesmartmarks dot com forums were my jam like 15-16 years ago

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bret wrote in his book about how Memphis was seen as a joke, as did Dave in his Lance Russell obit among other occasions.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

I'm not comfortable saying that much since I really don't know that much and no specifics; just some vague hints more than anything else. I'll put it this way: its not injury related and if the story comes out and what I've been told is right it really doesn't make AEW look at all good.

cool thanks

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Ate a ban this time, actually.

dude's mother is gonna pay for lowtax's forum upgrades single handedly

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Shoemaker's column that had a fantasy draft of only WWE guys is still one of the dumbest things ever written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

can tumblr just die already so I don't have to see ringside confessions anymore