Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't see White Claws on this budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/NJPWFanClubNA/status/1324450203655577600

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

Desperately trying to figure out what the gently caress that dude is talking about

I've heard "The Elite screwed New Japan by walking out on their US Expansion plans" a lot. Seems like an expanded version of that

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

So is this guy just someone who pretends they work for njpw?

https://twitter.com/NJPWFanClubNA/status/1324454050058829825

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

People were so willing to root for an addict they decided that Walter White was the good guy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

At least AEW employees are, you know, employees, right? Unionization would be great, but offering people healthcare and poo poo is a major step up.

Not everyone on the roster is an employee, but they do try and find backstage roles for people to get them healthcare - I know Luchasaurus they have as a nutrionist and Leva handles travel arrangements. They don't control the bookings for the people that aren't employees though (and even then, they don't really seem to care)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kvantum posted:

They care now based on how the other promotions are handling CoViD safety, but there's still no outright ban on other bookings, just banning other TV (I assume) without creative approval. Kenny will need to drop the AAA Mega title and Mox will need to drop the IWGP US title eventually, for example.

Yeah, COVID kind of throws a wrench into things but I assume for their non-signed talent it's more like "if you take this booking we can't guarantee we'll use you in the future" and most of those wrestlers would probably pick AEW over whatever indie booking they're giving up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

i would not be surprised if AAA just up and forgot about the mega

He's supposed to defend it against Laredo Kid 3 days after he faces Mox so who knows.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"I'm not trying to hide anything"

*frantically deletes all the bad posts*

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Didn't Satin get Mike Bailey banned from the US, or am I wrong about that?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

I really do live in the best country, i've got both healthcare and hotsauce. And plenty of shoes to drink out of.

This is absolutely baffling to me. Like how the gently caress? I use my kettle every day, do you people boil everything on the stove like a commoner?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

what does bisexual red mean.

I think it's about Aubrey. They really loving hate her for some strange (totally not misogynistic) reason.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 16, 2020

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

I assume it's some attempt at a Kenny Omega diss?

No, I'm fairly sure it's about Aubrey and, specifically, her lipstick.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I can't stop laughing at this.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I was admittedly kind of afraid that Luther might die in that main event.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

davidbix posted:

What makes that whole thing extra funny is that when I've talked to talent about Meltzer, they don't think he's got a massive anti-WWE or pro-AEW or pro-NJPW bias. They think he's a WWE office stooge who prints stories that they put out to mess with talent. I don't necessarily think that's true, but yeah, they see it completely differently.

Was this what Miro was pissed off about when he reported that thing about Lana's instagram advertising being the final straw for WWE and third party income?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"I stand by my decision to bypass the editorial process" what an absolute scumbag.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Thinking of giving Wade Keller $10, so I can say I will not be giving him $10 next month.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

I'm not going to dunk on Satin because ranking WWE is a total fool's errand anyway. Most WWE Superstars have little to no input on what their characters are, where they're placed on the card, or how good their matches will be because everything is micro-manged down to the second every time they're on TV.

People were always-badding KENTA, Mistico, and Mox based on their WWE work.

That's why it's such a terrible idea, to me. He's indirectly criticizing WWE's booking, but in a way that puts the actual blame on the wrestlers who have no control over it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/rhopkins482/status/1345616169097691138

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

The Bucks were on the road with him regularly. They knew or they were being wilfully ignorant.

This is a lovely assumption.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

Yea the Bucks have been wife guys for a long time, they weren't going to be there for the partying and socializing in the same way as the other guys. It's obvious they spend as much time with their families as possible and they're not the partying types.

They talked about this a bit when talking about Brodie Lee. They basically hit it off with him instantly because Brodie wasn't a party guy either.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"All Gimmick" Jon Moxley

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lamuella posted:

So what is the Moxley gimmick beyond "pissed off working class guy from Ohio"?

The lovely (wrong) answer people usually give is "middle fingers stone cold knockoff" which is such a surface level comparison.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Does Peacock even have 26 million paid subscribers?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That would not happen with Wardlow because Wardlow is a very good worker.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Haven't they said they love putting young babyfaces over?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Averages across 30 data points are directly comparable to averages across 4.

Someone run the average of the the battle royale from whats announced for Wednesday.

Couldn't find an age on Max Caster so I just went with 30 (which is almost certainly too old), the average age of the battle royale is 30.

Fun note: Jericho is the only person over 40 in the battle royale.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 1, 2021

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

it's just a fun thing for disingenuous dorks to latch onto, average age is a metric that supports the thesis that wwe's focused too heavily on things that aren't attempting to build up young stars, it isn't the point in and of itself.
if you want to count sting and matt hardy in there as "old guys" and skew an average age, sure, but the entire point of their characters right now are to be a launchpad for younger guys in private party and darby allin. same thing with jericho, he was champ for a fledgling promotion trying to get off the ground but he's spent the last few months putting orange cassidy over and now he's been an occasional tag team wrestler and full time promo guy with the purpose of getting mjf over.

Exactly. I was thinking about this yesterday. If WWE used older guys to try and get a new guy over, they'd have done something like pair up Ricochet and Carlito.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Jericho the human is still a stupid, insecure, rear end in a top hat, and chud. But his career in AEW has been pretty selfless in putting people over, I can hate him as a person but I still respect that he's using his celebrity to constantly put other people over. He also donates a lot to non MAGA related charities and directly to struggling wrestlers. But he still donated a lot of money to Trump. A man of many contrasts

Jericho the human has also protected a lot of the kids of his wrestler friends like Brian Pillman Jr. and David Benoit so it's not all that straightforward either.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"Wins a rumble after sitting in the corner the entire match and no-selling an RKO" doesn't sound as impressive.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I legit don't get those people. KENTA is probably one of the most influential wrestlers of the past 20 years.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/lcp2bj/kota_ibushi_retweeting_kenny_omega/gm166qc/

Imagine saying this like it’s a bad thing, or that Ishii is somehow above doing a reasonably long match with a guy who has had a lot of good matches with good wrestlers!

Ishii could probably literally get a 4 star match out of a plank of wood.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Should someone make a rovert quarantine thread. What should it be called? "The 'Guess what? Nothing! Tee hee!' rovert-memorial shitpit?"

If you only knew what I can't tell you about the Rovert Megathread

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

davidbix posted:

You...really nailed that one. I could not have described it better myself.

(Besides, is anyone actually complaining that Edge appeared on NXT? They do this with every Rumble winner and they established last year that the winner could pick an NXT Title shot.)

I had kind of a "come on, really?" feeling because it wasn't really something they hinted at on raw (to my knowledge) and it's obviously not going to lead to anything.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Speaking of, what’s the deal with Fatu that he’s all in with MLW and not in either AEW or WWE’s system? My vague understanding is that he has legit star potential.

He has a criminal record IIRC.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Harold Meij defender has logged on.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lid posted:

Why is NJPW memory holing Meij? I must've missed something huge.

He got pushed out of his position in fall of last year so evidently there are some bad feelings among the new executive staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/NJPWFanClubNA/status/1357187753255923713

Waiting for Coward Tony to send me the AEW World Championship that's rightfully mine.