Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bikertaker was so cool that, for one brief shining moment, he made Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit cool.

That's a gimmick they could've only done in the early 00's, and it would've failed miserably if Mark Calaway wasn't such a gifted performer 100% dedicated to his character.

Benne fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know things about TV business, but this is stupid and insane because NBC would never put pro-wrestling, not even Wrestlemania, on Prime Time network TV as if it were some sort of superbowl, right? I want to make sure it's not the opposite problem of it making way more money being sold on PPV for some weird reason that I'm missing.

They wouldn't do it because there's no ad money in pro wrestling

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NBC would probably get better ratings if they gave up trying to create new hits and just aired Friends/Seinfeld reruns on Thursday nights

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ah yes, pro wrestling is a meritocracy. Gotta earn your spot, brother.

(books Kane to pin Dolph Ziggler clean in the year 2015)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You know my point you jerks :mad:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Austin put over the refs pretty hard in his commentary on the WM17 match. Basically he said that the refs are responsible for directing traffic, making sure the spots are in the right camera places, and reminding the wrestlers how much time they have. There is way more to being a wrestling ref than just counting the pin.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still Real Mad that they dropped Big E's 5-count gimmick

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Mark Henry is incredibly good at doing wrestling promos, but he only gets ahold of a microphone about once every six months.

This is because he only has one promo in him before getting injured again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if JBL mentioned it, shouting out to recently deceased wrestlers is kinda his thing.

An entire tribute graphic seems like a bit much for a guy who never had anything to do with WWE.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How the gently caress would you even fill out two 30-men matches on the same card? Would J&J and the Rosebuds have to pull double-duty?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Triple H later gave an impassioned locker room speech about MetsFans' credentials

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So how would he explain Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy losing their first names?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nystral posted:

When did Zybyzko work for the WWF?

He worked for Vince Sr. back when it was WWWF. His feud with Bruno is by far his biggest claim to fame.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
At least Dave will openly admit when his reports are off, even if "plans change" is a convenient excuse sometimes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How many households does El Rey have compared to DA? I'd love to see the TNAMecca meltdown if Lucha Underground does better ratings than Impact on Wednesday nights.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
DA were either delusional about the Spike audience following Impact, or they genuinely didn't know how a wrestling show works on TV or how to pop ratings for said wrestling show.

Both scenarios are a possibility.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I just don't know what the hell DA thought they were getting. At least Spike is on every basic cable package and backed by Viacom. DA is on one of those super elite packages you only get because the cable company promised a free month of HBO and you figure why not, and then you're stuck with an extra 200 channels you'll never watch.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

coconono posted:

You know what I do on Wednesdays? it's comic book day. Not wrestling day.

Who the gently caress watches wrestling when there's perfectly good comics to read?

Pfft, comic books are for nerds

*watches wrestling dragons and ninja skeletons and magic medallions that grant literal immortality*

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

It's not like WWE and Sunny have done any real business together in years. They'll probably just ignore it like they ignored the Hogan sex tape.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

coconono posted:

speaking of TNA Asylum:

TNA Mecca/Asylum posters strike me as the type of people who never got over WCW dying

They even dress like it's still 2001

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ostentatious posted:

if Eddie Guerrero gets into the HoF, why not X-Pac??

It's actually a pretty safe bet that X-Pac will get in, if only so they can induct all of DX one day

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

DynamiteKidd posted:

We're not talking about that Hall of Fame, man.

Yeah well X-Pac should be in both of them :colbert:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm honestly curious about what the TNA diehards will do once it dies. We know a lot of the WCW marks eventually migrated to TNA, but when TNA dies, where will those people go? Do they talk themselves into GFW or just stop watching wrestling altogether?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The hardline anti-WWE people did, at least.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's funny because if they're craving a real WWE alternative but don't want to take the effort to get into Japan, then ROH is sitting right there on the same drat channel.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Who the hell actually walks around with replica belts if they're not doing it for a Halloweeen costume?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Maybe we could just have cool matches without over the top stupid Face/Heel dynamics? Like how in real sports people root for their favorites and only the New York Yankees are literally hitler.

Unless you're watching Duke/North Carolina, where there are no winners because both teams are repulsive

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Blast Fantasto posted:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2015/7/21/9008155/from-enchantment-to-disenchantment-in-two-short-nights

The post itself is whatever, but holy poo poo: there are people on this Earth who became wrestling fans because they liked Fozzy

Cageside Seats is generally on-point, but their Fanpost section is hilariously hit-or-miss.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Spermgod posted:

how much uninformed complaining about how wwe is bad can anyone really need.

Apparently a lot -- CSS is one of the highest-traffic sites on the entire SB Nation network.

(Full disclosure that SBN pays my rent so I'm not being entirely objective here)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If wrestling isn't fake then how is James Storm still walking free after murdering Mickie James

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Curtis Axel's next gimmick will be him shaving his head and come to the ring screaming about REAL FIGHTING NONE OF THIS FAKE PANSY CRAP before getting rolled up by El Torito

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Before last week's Raw, when was the last time the world title got defended on TV? It was long enough ago that Cole pointed it out, but I don't remember how long he said it was.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Junpei Hyde posted:

Didn't he defend it against Neville a couple of weeks ago?

poo poo, you're right. So that makes it two times this year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I wonder what the Venn diagram is between Owen truthers, Benoit truthers and people who think Montreal was a work

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even with his "giant" booking Mark Henry is painfully slow these days. His last notable TV feud was with Big Show, and somehow Show didn't gas first. Combine that with the constant injuries and it's just pitiful watching him in 2015. He really should've hung up the boots by now.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

:agreed: Watching him during the Elimination Chamber debacle was just sad. 20 years in the business and he handled it the worst by far. He kept breaking up pins in an elimination match and he seemingly had no clue how to improvise and just kinda stood there for the most part while the others tried to salvage the match.

I tried to give him some slack in that match since his pod busted open and the ref just went :shrug: so he entered the match early. Still, he was an anchor on the match and kept barging in on other guys' planned spots -- at one point Dolph literally yelled "don't move, Mark" before he did a corner splash on Barrett. That match was a disaster.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

I'll be shocked if there's a match in a major promotion that is considered worst than that

Villanos/Psycho Circus from TripleMania this year got MINUS FIVE STARS from Dave. Trust me, it deserved that rating.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rodney the Piper posted:

Watch more (bad) wrestling.

Watch NECW on YouTube if you really hate yourself

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically there are different kinds of bad matches that will affect my enjoyment of them. Jenna/Sharmell is a hilarious trainwreck. The Doomsday Cage Match is an fascinating exercise in how you can bury your entire heel roster in one night. Jeff Hardy/Sting is a spectacular meltdown that unfolded live because nobody bothered to check if Jeff was sober enough to wrestle. A lot of "classic" bad matches are worth revisiting for one reason or another.

Villanos/Psycho Circus was bad in the same way that Bushwackers/Sheik/Volkoff was, just a bunch of sad old dudes who can barely walk still trying to wrestle a decade after their expiration. It was not enjoyably bad or interesting bad -- in fact, the production/commentary issues make it close to unwatchable. I have zero desire to revisit it.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm actually a bit surprised WWE never tried to jump on the "replay challenge" thing real sports do, if only because refs huddling around the monitor NBA-style trying to see who tapped first is an amusing mental image to me.

It would be absolutely terrible in execution, though.