Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Who'd Lincoln ever beat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WWE put a video up of the Statue of Liberty from Mania 29 being brought to the Warehouse and the top comment and its replies caught my eye.

quote:

What did Dolph Ziggler & Damien Sandow say &/or do to deserve getting buried by a John Cena?

- Cena didnt bury them its all creative
- Mfw Cena never buried them, it's the WWE writers that wrote them off. Imo, Ziggler got a push when he had that rivalry with John Cena in end of 2012/early 2013.

It's all creative you marks :smug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

The first article is up , and it is worse than anything you could imagine (it's about seasoning packets at McDonalds)

He seems to be confusing change with optional extras, which confirms this is a genuine Vince Russo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah there have been multiple times recently where I've seen a good sounding article title on the front page and clicked through only to recoil in horror at seeing it was a Babinsack.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Because we're totally meant to take Stardust seriously as a main event level threat and not a comedy character for a few weeks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For those unaware, this is in reference to a WWE production truck listing Smackdown as being on at 8pm Thursday night which would basically be the final nail in the coffin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Lesnar should win that, then the rubber match happens in yet another kind of sport.

Finally the Slamball confrontation we've been waiting for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's also the fact that when Roman was in NXT his character was basically a parody of every arrogant 'blue chip' hand picked superstar. Being too busy making phone calls to do interviews, bullying ring announcers to give him special treatment, just a complete spoiled prick who was too good for this poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nut Bunnies posted:

On one hand it's a short term money while continuing to kill their future.

This is my view of it, yeah its going to be a huge main event but then as Dave's said they sell a shitload of Mania tickets before they've even announced matches so I'm not entirely convinced they need to keep bringing in these older guys to main event at Mania to draw a huge crowd, and they're going to announce a new attendance record for Mania 32 regardless of how many people are there. Plus they can't push Brock vs Rock as first time ever, or either guy's first match in years, or even their only match of the year since Brock's gonna be around all year. I just can't see this match making the level of money they're expecting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

It's a match that would be more two all time legends of the sport meeting on the grandest stage possible. Two men who transcend wrestling and one of them with a grudge. It also has some nice subtle build since Heyman brings up Brock beating the Rock every so often. It's a good attention grabbing, headline match for a stacked card. If they have some kind of great angle to kick it off all the better. I don't think it is as strong as Cena/Rock but it's something that feels special.

I was with you up to the stacked card part, because I see no way that won't end up being a one match show.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Keg posted:

This is better than Dolphins1925 melting down over twitter whenever he's wrong.

Which is most of the time lately.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

mets once again with the scoops. thank you for not being metsfan4ever, rovert

Hey now he said if Bray couldn't go and Bray could clearly go. Though I was surprised

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yup. Mostly because it's become a crutch for lazy writing.

If you're gonna do bad writing (and WWE are) it's really better for you to have a get out of booking corner free card hanging about.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also since cashing in MITB is such a heel thing to do, you don't get stuck giving it to a babyface and writing yourself into a corner just because you don't want a heel winning both matches.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Revenant Threshold posted:

There's no way Ed wouldn't be stuck in midcard hell in a tag team with his brother.

His brother left the party because brother vs brother feuds never draw. Brother.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

OK, so I know doxxing isn't really approved on SA, but since this is actual insider news I figured it might be alright. I did a bit of detective work to track down MetsFan4Ever recently after all the r/SquaredCircle stuff went down, and there was some stuff I really didn't expect. Believe me or don't, I don't care, but I like PSP so I thought I'd share it.

I figured it had to be someone from the Northeast US, most likely in the Tri-State area. Who else would want their very prominent online identity to be known as a "Mets fan forever" but a NY/NJ/CT resident? You get that sort of fan devotion when it's something you grew up with in your own region. So that shrinks down the geographic location at least.

So I dug a bit further. He claims to be either a current or former WWE employee, so that narrows the search quite a bit. While this part is admittedly very dubious, he claims CM Punk is a personal friend and that he wrote his promos, which although probably bullshit would be a small subset of people if true (mainly because I'm pretty sure creative control of his onscreen character was in Punk's contract). But regardless he'd have to be a part of WWE Creative at some point if any of this stuff were actually true, and he'd have to be someone employed by the company at least somewhere between 2006-2014, Punk's years with the company. If you assume he was referring to the bigger promos at Punk's peak, this means closer to 2011-2013. If you look at WWE's employee records within those years, there are very few people who fit all of the criteria here.

Whether or not you buy that part of his story is another matter - bear with me a minute. If MetsFan is even telling a modicum of truth, that's a really short list. Who would risk being exposed in the company like that? Well, you'll note that he also posted on Reddit that there are definitely people from WWE leaking deliberate misinformation and misdirection. That adds a bit of credence in my book because I'd totally believe they're trying to work the internet. Everyone knows Reddit, like it or not.

The last bit I'll mention is that in his comment style, I noticed he's incredibly defensive (the butthurt over people calling him out), has a big ego (the Jesus self-comparison), it's easy to rile him up, and he's extremely petty. I don't know how well this is known in wrestlefan circles, but in my many years of talking to people in or around the business, WWE's own employees have routinely described a specific member of their Creative team in a very similar way, and he is in fact still an active part of the company.

So here's the thing - I confronted him to see if he'd make some sort of statement, and he did. You can see what he had to say right here (copy/paste, because I probably shouldn't direct-link it):

youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

You clearly think we give more shits about Metsfan than we actually do.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Another thing is that TNA is on at 9pm on a Sunday, while Raw is 1am on a Monday. Though most of the time if I'm flicking through channels and get to Challenge and TNA is on I'll just move on because that's not what I'm after if I'm that far down the EPG.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

LU's gonna need to start putting brands on wrestlers' tights like Nascar drivers' cars.

Drago, sponsored by Castrol GTX.

He'd be sponsored by Firestone Tyres surely?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mob posted:

This is every weekend wrestler with a shoot job posting on a local indy fed's Facebook page. Always in character, usually the word brother shows up twice a sentence, always 300% convinced that they are Somebody and everyone else is a big ol mark.

Lance Storm went off slightly about indie wrestlers giving the "worker's handshake" a few weeks back. Bunch of dudes who still think the business needs protecting and kayfabe is alive and well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Dixie has so much in common with the woman who ran OUYA, it's uncanny. I wonder if Dixie also has MS Paint charts showing her secret ratings

If you rotate the Ouya controller deadzone diagram it looks EXACTLY like the Ultimate X rig #AskQuestions

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

This will last about five minutes. If these guys can't post negatively about WWE or ROH it'll be pages and pages of snack discussion.

Can't wait for them to ban negative discussion of cheez-its.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I do agree with that guy that TNA's roster isn't exactly loaded with talent and it wouldn't benefit ROH at all to do a crossover show.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pizza doesn't lie to them and it pretty much always gives them it's money's worth, so it's kind of the highlight of their week.

To be honest I don't watch Impact ever and most of the time pizza is the highlight of my week too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

Pre planned match Everyone clearly saw cena whispered in Owens ears when he put STF

It's not gay, it's pro wrestling.

Which is pretty gay.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Optimistic of him to think the fans would boo the nazi.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Impact hot takes used to be full bore kool aid poo poo, not a slapfight in some dude's Twitter mentions.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Stand Up For WWE never ended to these people.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress yeah shut down the sally army.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ah yes, all those trans people who have such a huge competitive advantage that they've completely dominated the Olympics since being formally allowed in 15 years ago.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Serious question, do we even know how many trans people have competed, in what sports, etc.?

It's hard to put a solid figure on, because even if competing the IOC doesn't disclose trans status so long as they meet the requirements. The only trans athlete I know who's competed openly at a national level is triathlete Chris Mosier, though I don't think he's been on an Olympic team despite being in Nike's advertising around Rio 2016.

The current official guidelines (significantly relaxed in 2015) state that trans women athletes must declare their gender and not change that declaration for 4 years and have blood testosterone under 10nm/l for at least full year of testing. There are no restrictions on trans men though, they can just declare gender (I believe with the same 4 year rule) and compete with no additional terms on their drug testing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 6, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mactheknife posted:

I've never understood the idea of watching a show based on who the champion is - it's a three-hour show on which the champ might feature for like, at most, a half hour. Or not at all, in cases like Lesnar. There's so much more going on, why is that a dealbreaker?

The champion is ostensibly the biggest star, and people watch TV and sport based on who the biggest star is. For more hardcore wrestling fans it might just be they want to give more support when someone they like is champion, since large parts of wrestling fandom for some reason actually believe that the company listens to the fans outside a few isolated scraps thrown their way occasionally.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

You don't know anyone who watched a Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, or Floyd Mayweather fight, but not the latest UFC or boxing events?

Or people who stopped watching Nascar because Dale Jr retired.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I miss Wade Barrett too, I'll agree with that part

I live in the UK so still get my regular dose of Barrett. At least I would if the WOS series wasn't over.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"People like this thing too much"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gotta say I didn't expect to see an "Impact is still the #2 promotion" take in 2019.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BT Sport is a lot cheaper than Sky, the cheapest you can get a Sky package with Sky Sports is £45 a month. The problem is that BT Sport requires already having Sky or getting internet from BT so the cost works out about the same. I'd think more about the fact that Sky lately have been even more ravenous about grabbing up every sporting event they can possibly find (they have Netball now) so think about what it means that they let WWE go.

Chris James 2 posted:

Sky is still in more homes than BT, and both are in far far far far less homes than AEW’s new channel

Also this, ITV4 is in every home with a TV made in the past decade, or anyone with an internet connection.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TinTower posted:

About the level where the NFL are actively considering expansion there.

They've been "actively considering" expansion for about 5 years at this point and all it's come to is an endless parade of Jaguars games at Wembley (the rumour 2 years ago was that they would be the team moved to become a UK team) that most people are sick of at this point.

But the Superbowl is one of the few sporting events the BBC are actually willing to bust out the wallet to hold onto so...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's a genius mark of true talent to have people not pay to see the show. We're approaching TNA Mecca levels of reality denial here folks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I thought NXT UK talent were still able to take independent bookings.

I think there was some dumb rule that it was only with indies that don't put out DVDs or have TV.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In fairness there was way more chance of someone dying in the match between 2 old dudes, one of whom looks like he's barely walking these days let alone working out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Funny doesn't make money remember.