Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Someone on TSE forums is pissed at AJ winning the IWGP Championship

quote:

I have to say I don't support the decision by NJPW to give him the belt, even if I am an AJ Styles fan (and I'm not).

I never really liked Styles, to be honest. While I'll give him credit that he IS a good wrestler, I don't think he's as great as most of his fans make him out to be, calling him one of the greatest/best of all time, etc.

When I look at AJ Styles, I see a guy who has been massively and excessively pushed throughout his career.

In early ROH, from 2002 to 2006, he was blatantly shoved down the throats of the ROH crowds, almost always winning (defeating Punk 3 times in a row, defeating Danielson twice, defeating the Briscoes 3 times in a row, winning a Tag Team Scramble without even having a tag partner, etc).

And as for how he was over-pushed in TNA, I'll just say this; by the time TNA was even 3 years old (2005), Styles had already won every single championship in the company at LEAST twice.

And now, barely a month after he arrived in NJPW, he was given a title shot and subsequent victory, ending the year-long reign of Okada.

His career aside, I also have very little respect for Styles when it comes to his attitude. The guy has a bad history of almost always refusing to put other people over, to a point where he would almost never eat the pin in a tag match if his team is booked to lose.

I was disgusted by the match he had against Davey Richards at ROH Death Before Dishonour IV.
At the time, Richards was new to ROH, and other wrestlers who, like AJ, were also strongly booked in the company did their best to put him over and make him look good (Strong, Aries, the Briscoes, even KENTA).
Styles would not sell a single move from Richards, not even a DDT on the floor. Richards eventually retaliated by doing the same thing and refusing to sell for him as well.

During the ROH Milestone series, when Styles and Matt Sydal were in a tag match against two Dragon Gate wrestlers, one of whom was Dragon Kid, Styles refused to sell anything from Kid and behaved very disrespectfully throughout the entire match.

I would go so far as to say that I think Styles is worse than Low Ki. At least during a match, Ki would be professional enough to sell the offense of his opponent even if he's refusing to lose to him.

And from what I've heard, when he returned to ROH in 2013, Styles has almost always refused to put over anybody in ROH when the company could have really used a high-profile veteran who would be willing to do so for the younger talent. I was glad that ROH made him put over Michael Elgin.

I don't hate him, but I very little respect for the man. I do think he IS a good wrestler, but not so good that he deserves to be pushed to the moon like this.

I hope NJPW won't over-push him like TNA and ROH have and give in to his refusal to put over other wrestlers, but seeing how they just handed him the belt barely a month after he got in, it looks like Styles is going to be massively pushed AGAIN...
:lol: AJ worse than Low Ki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

About Brock winning the title at Summerslam

quote:

Brock winning the belt would be the biggest gently caress you to all the talent in the company that busts their rear end and will never get a fair shot, so of course he'd win it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

A reaction to Cole calling Cena the greatest WWE Champion of all time

quote:

I'm sayin' man. That drives me nuts.

He's not the greatest. Not by a long shot. He's the guy they WANT to be the greatest, but he's not. And I like Cena, but he has become everything that's wrong with the company. No risk taking. Overprotecting talent who don't need the rub while squandering young talent like Sandow, Ziggler and Rhodes for reasons that are unexplanable. Trying to force a star down our throat instead of letting the crowd react and letting it happen organically.

The whole reason why have the Cena we have now is that from the start of when the crowd begun booing him in 2005 until loving NOW, they just shrug their shoulders and say "that's just fans being fans", instead of trying to delve into WHY people are booing this guy who is supposed to be their Superman. But people hate the invincible, nye undestructible, infallible version of Supes. Only when Superman shows so modicum of humanity do people give the guy his props for being fuckig awesome.

Cena needs to evolve. They won't turn the fucker heel, and they won't have him give into an edgier side of him that all told is closer to the REAL Cena. So we're stuck with this assclown that the WWE trumpets as "the best" until John retires, probably.

Christ...even Hulk Hogan knew he had to turn heel, and he basically did everything possible to protect himself. Turning heel was a HUGE risk, but he saw the dollar signs and he jumped on loving board, and if did breathe no life into his character, no matter how briefly it was before his ego took over good story telling.

Uugggghhh!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

quote:

...and I don't want to watch wrestling for a while. Thanks, WWE. You just pissed on all the good will you had for the entire rest of the PPV.
This is reaction to Brock winning

The other is someone posting that Jerry Seinfield gif.

God the Spoony Experiment forums are awful

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

From a CM Punk is overrated thread

quote:

I'm saying it.

He's not a terrible wrestler by any stretch of the imagination, but he's no better in the ring than anyone else that's been the top of the business aside from Hogan, Sid, Nash, and Khali.

He's great on the mic, but there are plenty of guys that just never get the chance to show they are too. And there are plenty of people that aren't in-ring talents that could easily go toe-to-toe with him, so he's still not the greatest.

He knows his psychology, but again, so do plenty of other people that just never get the chance to showcase it like he did, and there are plenty of guys coming up right now that could give him a run for his money here too.

No one cares about comparisons to Cena, veiled or direct, anymore. The reason for this is the last argument I have for why he's overrated.

He's a prima donna pain in the rear end to work with that can't set his ego aside to just do the job and enjoy his work. I'd have preferred he had gotten over himself and stuck around, but if he's not going to get over himself, then I'm glad the quitter quit. I'm glad he was smart enough with his money to be able to too. I'm also glad he's not around to bring down the mood in the locker room with his poo poo attitude.

I hope he does get over himself and come back for love of the work, but I'm ok if he doesn't. He didn't really offer us anything that Edge didn't in his Cena feud anyway.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's been on this schtick a while if that's the case.
So has Banjo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

quote:

Attendance is stagnant and the Network has basically killed any chance of WWE ever getting in the PPV business ever again. The TV deals have't turned out to be what WWE thought it was going to be and the audience is heavily reliant upon those who became fans as kids in the 80's and 90's (which is why the average age of a raw viewer is something like 37). The 2000's haven't really created new fans and the audience is going to keep hemorraghing fans unless a new star can come and really draw new viewers, not just the children of wrestling fans.

More importantly, there are fewer people watching wrestling today than at any other point in American history. Regional promotions which could reliably draw in the thousands? Dead. Local Tv shows? Dead. PWG? Hitting the glass ceiling audience wise (they refuse to switch venues so they're stuck selling the same amount of tickets. ROH? Less buzz and attention than its ever had. Global Force? Potential there, but probably limited to importing other products for the time being. TNA? Stumbling and probably has killed the chance of wrestling getting on a mid-major network for a while.

We all like to talk about the WWE's troubles, but it's easy to forget that a lot of the grass roots promotions which were reliably drawing in small towns on a weekly basis are gone and in terms of total paying audience, let alone combined tv audience, there are just a lot fewer butts in seats.

Let's look worldwide then. All Japan? Dead. Noah? Dying. Wrestle-1? Struggling. Joshi Promotions? Gone. DDT is rising and New Japan is back on top, but those two combined still lack the major "asses in seats" factor Japan had in the 80's and 90's. Mexico, CMLL? Dying. AAA? Going okay but nowhere near what it used to be. Europe? Some small federations popping up now, but the old touring promotions are gone on the continent and the era of millions tuning in to watch Big Daddy are long gone.

Wrestling has no real great stars left, the icons people are dying to see. Instead you basically have the WWE brand everywhere but Mexico and Japan. And, with the WWE struggling as it is, if it goes, pro wrestling goes, because the weekly wrestling audience, the people you could count on to restart promotions, stopped watching in the late 80's. So yeah, the network is bad news and Pro Wrestling in general, as an entertainment form, is probably at its weakest point since its creation. Unless it starts getting paying asses in seats again, it will continue to slowly wither.
Sorry guys looks like wrestling is about to go extinct

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Do you really think that striking him down wouldn't just lead to him returning stronger?
Also Vince seems like a guy who has built an tolerance for a multitude of poisons because he laces his snowcones with a little bit of hemlock, cyanide, etc.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've definitely heard people talk about wanting Gary Bettman dead and I'm like 85% sure I've read more than one published editorial openly talking about it.
Hell there are players in the NFL who wouldn't piss on Roger Goodell if he was on fire which is why James Harrison is the greatest player in the NFL.

I don't really get into murder fantasies about Vince McMahon, I'm way too focused on leading the revolution and ultimate destruction of Bob Nutting. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

All those chains and no one bringing up the local places :negative:

Though if I had a gun to my head go with Pizza Hut all the time

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

A response to my comment that Jeff Jarrett was not the reason NJPW got that 13 episode TV Deal

quote:

Yes, a Japanese company that is part of Global Force Wrestling getting an American TV deal has nothing to do with GFW...

Same person also said this when people were wondering how Jarrett was able to get NJPW that TV Deal

quote:

He's the son of a highly successful promoter! They're good at sweetalking TV folk!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Testekill posted:

http://officialfan.proboards.com/thread/512722/punk-weeks-art-wrestling-podcast

This thread is a goldmine for lovely opinions. Some people just hate CM Punk and will never give him an inch, even if for example it is because the WWE doctor misdiagnosed a serious staph infection. I could go through the thread and pick and choose stuff and get a couple of posts worth of poo poo if you want.
The wrestling news thread was actually closed on this forum because our mod has always disliked CM Punk

quote:

This is JUST Punk's side of the story. Of course he's going to make himself sound 100% right and WWE 100% wrong in it. That's how he sees it. This does not justify the personal attacks against people that cannot be verified and the fact that half his complaints center around WWE not bowing to his ego make the rest of it suspect. Use your heads: Punk has a history of prima donna behavior.
Yeah Punk was being a prima donna for complaining about almost dying from staph infection

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

quote:

How did she go to her supervisor the day after with five broken vertebrae? Even if that part is true, going the day after instead of that day means that the injury could have happened off the clock. Which means, no workman's comp case.

Three months to file a police report? (not something anyone who didn't witness can do, which, she should know.)

Just seems fishy to me.

Ugh I hate these kind of people, always assuming that the victim is in the wrong

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

A review of the Bull Dempsey Baron Corbin feud

quote:

Okay, I’m all-in on this. For the first time since his debut, I truly get and appreciate Bull Dempsey.

He’s Salieri. He comes in as a “monster,” but he’s not really a monster. He’s doing what he thinks a monster does. He’s a “learned monster.” He’s got other peoples’ moves, other peoples’ gear and comes equipped with a sing-along entrance theme. He squashes people and wins, and he’s fine, but it never really impresses anyone. His peers are guys like Mojo Rawley. He doesn’t have anything worth a drat to compare himself to. Then here comes Mozart and his bright lights and his tattoos and his wolf jacket, accomplishing what Bull’s been so desperate to accomplish without even trying. It crushes him. So the next time out, he tries to beat this jobber as fast as he can. He does it in record time, too, about 25 seconds. As he’s leaving, Mozart shows up again. His match is next. Salieri stands on the stage to watch him play. Mozart wins in about half the time. He can’t win. Nothing he’s ever gonna do, no matter how hard he works, will be as good as this rear end in a top hat who just appeared out of the blue with every gift you can have.

I get you now, Bull. You’re not a monster. You’re one of us.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

quote:

Jeff Jarrett is a brilliant promoter no matter how you swing it. If he had remained 100% in charge, both on and off camera for TNA, they'd be doing much better.

Yes, you had him putting the title on himself... A lot.... But honestly? That made him a better heel authority figure, thus creating better babyface champions when they managed to take the belt from him, and thus creating more interesting storylines when someone else came to take the belt from that person, only to then find a way to get it back to Jarrett.

At one time, TNA was on its way to being legitimate competition to the WWE. They just needed more exposure than what Spike could give them.
I love how Spike never gave them any exposure is like the "It's about the ethics of gamer journalism" to TNA fans

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Great White Hope posted:

It's stupid because Babe Ruth isn't the GOAT, Barry Bonds is.
Neither could probably go one on one with the Great One though

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

"Yet another crowd crying because they didn't get what they wanted. What a shock."

When someone called him out on this he responded

"No, I'm saying that that crowd is just like the rear end in a top hat that booed Rey Mysterio last year. Getting what you want RIGHT NOW is not the loving point, and you, and the rest of those assholes know it. It's about the loving journey, and to throw Daniel Bryan right back into the title match, after most of a year off is not a journey, it's blatant pandering to the crowd, and it shouldn't be done. I'm glad it didn't.

Would I have liked to see DB last longer? Yes. I'd have loved to see him eliminate Bray Wyatt too, but that's not the story we've been given, so you know what? Y'all, and the rest of the crowd can just deal with it."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Testekill posted:

Who was that?
Just some forum post I saw on the Spoony Experiment forums, goes by the name Bray Wyatt which is really funny since Bray got really jobbed out at the end of the Rumble.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

triplexpac posted:

I hated the Last Ride at the time, if only because the Tombstone is so much better. I can appreciate the Last Ride more now though, since we've had so many Play of the Day type finishers since.
I mean when you consider how much the Tombstone hosed Undertaker's knees I could see why he took the opportunity to do a move that was less hell on them

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

So can we compile a list of everything that Metsfan has said that is wrong compared to the things he was right about?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Guess Metsfan decided to save face by stating the highly obvious
http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2uxphb/confirmed_spoiler_for_wwe_fast_lane/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

some jagoff from the spoony experiment forums on AJ's recent twitter comments posted:

But, are they getting paid the same for the amount of screentime they get that the men would in a similar situation? (I realize that they're not paid by the hour or anything even remotely like that. Just asking a question based on proportions)

Are they being asked to take the same risks? (Even a bottom of the mid-card guy like Adam Rose or Fandango takes more risks in an average match than any of the Divas will in an average week.)

And do they draw in the numbers that the men do? (No, but this is not entirely their fault.)

If a woman is doing the same job just as well, and has been doing it just as long, she deserves to be paid the same as her male counterpart. Otherwise, there should be some disparity. If she has been there longer, she should have gotten more raises. If she does a better job, her raise should be bigger. Likewise, if she hasn't been there as long, fewer raises, and if she doesn't do as good a job, smaller raises.

That is how it should be. Pay based off of performance.

Wow this is some top tier bullshit

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Quality opinions on the Spoony Experiment wrestling subforum

quote:

Nice to know I can continue to not watch WWE stuff.

my rebuttal posted:

Yeah man I hate watching Brock Lesnar have cool matches or murder people

quote:

h yeah dude, I -DO- Hate Brock Lesnar, I quite fully and completely admit that I don't like him, and would sooner see X-Pac as WWE champion than Lesnar.

He is a big giant meat head, SO WHAT those are a Dime a Dozen in the WWE and they will do this thing called "Showing the gently caress up every PPV" unlike Mr. Part Time Champion, and some of those can actually talk without sounding stupid and don't need Paul "I have had the same gimmick longer than John Cena" Heyman to carry them.

Go ahead and enjoy Brock, you have fun with that. All it does is free up 3 hours a week and 3 hours once a sunday for me.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 25, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Christ, I don't really like Lesnar that much and even I'd never say something as obviously stupid as "He's a dime a dozen meathead"
You'll love this one then

quote:

The thing with Brock is, that minus that bit of extra credibility from being the legit fighting champion that he was, you could take his general booking, and easily apply it to Rusev, Cesaro, Big E, or even NXT guys like Corbin (if they ever let him get a moveset) and Dempsey. They aren't already built up, but its not hard to build a monster heel, especially if you have a mouthpiece to cover the mic end (which many big men seem to be terrible at, for whatever reason)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah that quote wasn't really that bad when I reread it. The first one I posted though has something even stupider than just hating Brock and its the "don't need Paul "I have had the same gimmick longer than John Cena" Heyman to carry them."

I mean seriously I can maybe understand hating Brock, but why hate that Paul Heyman's character?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda enjoy the dude, but I half expect that to be Antwiler himself.
Spoony is actually never on his own forums.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

quote:

WWE is planning a Brock vs. Rock match as the main draw for WM32, because they've finally given up trying to build stars and are just going to milk the old ones.

Discuss.
Yeah WWE is really dumb in trying to do a match that would make them boatloads of money

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cyron posted:

I was a poster on the spoony forum before i was permabanned for just stright up making GBS threads on its poster in the wrestling and games forum. (A few folks sided with neo nazis and victim blaming rape victims). i am a classless person but i had my limits. I also pissed off the mod for thinking the cubs goat curse is bullshit and i was the cubs fan in the debate.
And said mod is a St. Louis Cardinals fan and will lecture you on being a good sport and how having passion for your team by taunting the pitcher and being loud is tasteless especially in the playoffs when your team has just got its first playoff run after 21 loving years of losing.

That and he thought Sidney Crosby was not a real leader and that complaining to the refs is being a poor sport. What a jagoff.

Extreme0 posted:

There are more things I could say, I just don't know how those forums somehow manages to gather the most weridest/disgusting people imaginable but there you go.
Because the type of fan who watches Spoony are often weird people or gamers or young teenagers just cutting their teeth in the forum posting business (for me I joined after leaving The Wotch forums which gives you an idea how dumb 15 year old me was)

And you got to realize those forums would be 1000x worse if they didn't ban political/religious talk because oh boy are there some assholes on that forum who love to thinly veil their freepiness.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cardinals fan Spoony Experiment forum mod on why Punk is a bad person posted:

He's made no bones about never really giving a gently caress about the fans. There are guys at every level, from high school gyms and bars all the way to the Tokyo Dome that thank the fans regularly in promos, at signings, and so on...I honestly don't recall seeing or hearing of Punk ever being gracious for fan support, it's always "I'm the best, me me me, I make this great, I'm the only reason this show is anything above absolute dogshit."

He was drat good, but he lacks humility. He has no sense of the idea that it's more than just him that makes an industry like that even possible. So sure, without wrestlers, particularly good ones, there's no show worth seeing, but without a fanbase even the good wrestlers don't have a market in which to justify having a show.
I like to see where Punk says he doesn't give a gently caress about the fans, the only fans he talks about are the douchebag ones.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hey I thought the rules were no goon posts and I'm pretty sure Jeffrersonlives still posts on SA somewhere

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

TNA is the movie Teeth.
And TNAMecca is Human Centipede 3

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

spoony experiment wrestling mod posted:

I like how Punk likes to cheer for people that do things he doesn't...you know, finish doing what they were given a contract to do.
Wow those grapes are sour as hell

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Spoony Experiement wrestle mod posted:

There's nothing vile about that. It's business. Calling that vile is on par with calling Pepsi vile for taking up shelf space that RC Cola could be filling. What's vile about being the one guy to generate more wrestlers with the potential to retire with less financial or medical concern than any other promoter in history? ROH wants to play in the big leagues, they're going to need to deal with cut throat poo poo. Why should he have to share? What does he owe a company that is actively striving to be direct competition to him, trying to take a portion of his and all o his employees' potential income?

This isn't kindergarten, guys, it's the real loving world.
In response to the news to WWE loving over ROH when someone replied Vince (which honestly is wrong since its HHH) is a vile person.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

Why can't we have flippy hoss offs?
We do they are called Chris Hero matches

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Today's wrestlers are a bunch of wimps.

Or at least that's what I think the idea is after watching 205 Live from the other day. I dunno... it's just funny to me that the guy who is going to be running the company had one of his biggest career moments occur in a match where he tore his quad but kept going. They literally harp on this during every video package done on him to show you what a tough warrior he is. Then you have something like on 205 Live where Mr. 450 wasn't injured badly, he just tweaked something. He was clearly able to continue & fully communicating with the referee that he was fine but they still cut the match and made them go home immediatly. That kinda sucks if you ask me. I mean I know it's a total longshot but let's just say MAYYYYYYYYYYBE Mr. 450 makes something of himself in WWE down the line & part of his story can be how he got injured in his debut match but fought through the pain to put on a good match. It's a hell of a story if you ask me.

I know some WWE superfan will scold me for not caring about the health of wrestlers like their precious company but let's be honest - if this isn't a 205 Live and isn't these 2 guys, the match isn't being stopped. If Randy Orton tweaks his groin or knee working at the Rumble against whoever else, the match isn't being stopped. It's like that old saying of "you can't be half pregnant". Either you're 100% committed to wrestlers safety & stop every match where there's an injury or you don't and let them police themselves.

From this thread
http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=906&start=870#p46426
Rob Viper is a piece of work and if you think Roque can get mean to Rovert, this guy takes the cake

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

rovert posted:

Was the term Rob used but fair cop.
Love how he is going to war with Papa Hales, a guy who is universally loved by indy fans and indy wrestlers

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/BohsJohnny/status/887096730419961856
:psyduck:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/tnameccaquotes/status/888170632063668225
The Dead have Risen!

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 20, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Sorry to use your twitter Rov, but you are the only one who screenshotted this
https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/963743320743825410

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Well you see Inokiism was good because the fights were like MMA and there weren't a lot of foreigners in the promotion

https://twitter.com/mookieghana/status/1026484736779345925

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Inokiism Twitter is really funny and they seem pretty cool though. That tweet was just bad.
Inokiism Twitter is basically just former goons so this can't be true

Just enjoy what you like and not get mad at what people like, I'm friends with a person in the Pittsburgh DSA who over the last year has gotten really into NJPW (and ROH TV) and they have no interest in the WWE product, while I'm the opposite and we get along fine because we can have rational discussions on why we like the things we like and mutual interests that transcend companies (like how we are probably going to go to IWC shows or Pittsburgh NXT and ROH shows). Why is it so loving hard for people to get?