Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

In TNA's particular case there's also the gently caress WWF thing on the table. They want TNA to live less because they like it and more because they hate Vince.

Then where does the hate boner for ROH come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Some idiot on Reddit posted:

As it stands, the WWE product just isn't that good right now. RoH, Chikara, and NJPW are putting on clinics compared to what the WWE is doing. If they could gain traction with the main audience and buy a guy like CM Punk, they could pose a serious threat to this very vulnerable WWE product. Wrestling is cyclical and the WWE is back in 1992 right now. Jarrett's new promotion just signed a talent agreement with NJPW. The nWo gimmick started with the UWF invasion angle in NJPW...this is not a coincidence.

Yes, I'm sure Vince is SOOOOPER worried about Chikara and Global Force Wrestling (#Jointheforce) toppling his gigantic media empire.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

honestly Cena shouldn't even regret taking the DDT on the concrete and then pinning the Nexus. Cena is simply the top dog, and Barrett was very green at that time. Cena just can't fall to anyone to appease an immediate story angle. It's called protecting the business.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Angry Reactionary Manchild on Reddit posted:

Wtf are you saying your frantic, panicky, overreacting, douche? No matter what you think about what I said. You cannot tell me that the wwe being extremely cautious about head trauma, and banning chair shots to the head and even blood has HELPED the product. When people look back on the attitude era and ecw wtf do you think it is they're missing? It's the edgy content and ultra violence they can't get away with today. You over sensitive, way too liberal, jizz bag. The nfls product is suffering from it too. Out of all the things I named this is the one that I actually do agree with, but I still lumped it in with the others cuz it's poo poo you used to be able to do that you now never could get away with in society

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

He also complained about misogyny no longer being allowed in today's overly politically correct environment and how it's ruining the product so the dude is kind of an idiot.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Each line break is a separate post.

somebody mad about the Young Bucks posted:

They are a joke, an embarrassment to pro wrestling right now. Their is a reason a major US company won't hire them and pay them real money. They don't know how to work.

They are awful and their is a reason they couldn't cut it in loving tna. They are Indy darlings with no future.

If they are appreciated, why couldn't they cut it in tna? Because they don't understand psychology or they have undeserved egos.

Thy are spot monkeys, nothing more. They don't have brains and will end up breaking their necks for a few hundred bucks. Hope they have health insurance so I don't have to pay the loving medical bills they will incur with their stupid move set.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

dsriggs posted:

For those of you that haven't:

Also, have this:

How can anyone hate Big Dave?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Somehow, these people have gone the past decade without realizing that TNA is run by loving idiots. So yes, they totally would do all that poo poo without having an actual plan for the future in place. Because they're loving dumb.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The anime knows what's up.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, if I wanna watch something where the winner is whoever can take the most steroids without getting caught, I'll watch Raw.

If I want to watch three hours of programming where nothing happens, I'll watch raw.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

dude on reddit posted:

TNA only comes second to NXT right now to be honest. They are the only promotion in the world to have wrestlers that actually look like wrestlers.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

what makes a wrestler in tna look more like a wrestler than wrestlers elsewhere

Jacked and tall?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Wooo posted:

ITT: We discuss the practicalities, positives & negatives of a Triangle Shaped Wrestling ring.

Now this is all theory now because I haven't seen one in any real-life application yet but I think if given enough surface area and bringing the turnbuckles further away from the post and corner you could compensate for the fall backs. I think with the loss of parallel ropes it'd be a disadvantage to the flashy high-flying and ring gymnastics but a solid technical match would benefit with a quicker pace of no rope rebounding and less room.

Wooo posted:

Two men
closer together
less room for filler
non-stop
more physiologic wrestling
more storytelling
less bullshit

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

I saw the whole fight and all the ballyhoo before it. May vs Pac did not live up to any of its hype. Casual fans wanted to see someone lose by a KO, what they got was 12 rounds of hugs with both men acting super proud at the end. I love WWE because 9 times out of 10 someone is going to lose after one man/ woman hits their opponent with a finishing move and loses. The decision is actually decisive and the loser doesn't stand tall after. It may be predetermined and scripted, but the action of WWE is unmatched and I am normally thoroughly entertained by at least 1 match on any given night.

Thank you for sports entertainment WWE.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

Wrestling is Greek theatre. It's guys like Meltzer and dummies who give matches stars and pop for spots instead of the nadir to finish journey of a match. They just miss the point of pro wrestling.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

I think Blake and Murphy's ring attire is HHH's secret homage to Chris Benoit. They both have that same jagged claw rip design and I think HHH is the kind of guy to honor Benoit for the great wrestler he was and not just remember "the incident"

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The fact that Champion of My Heart BxB Hulk isn't top ten is the true crime.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Hi, I'm Shinsuke Namakura, the guy whos not as good as Roman Reigns and doesn't deserve to have my name spelled right apparently.

This but unironically.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Yagi is the only good authority figure because he doesn't give a gently caress.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dumbass on reddit

quote:

If James Storm is doing what I think he is doing. He will revolutionize wrestling the same way Kevin Nash and Hall did with their contracts.

If I were in James Storm's Place. I would make it so he a group of people had contracts that allowed inter-promotional matches.

It has to be on a small scale. This wouldn't work if everyone could do it.

And it shouldn't ever go past NXT.

This would boost NXT. This would boost Indies and get peoples names out there. It wouldn't be competition. It would be a Win Win for everyone involved.

NXT is its own Brand. Remember that.

quote:

He didnt want Hall and Nash to leave either. Rating are low. People want dream matches. People want invasions from other shows, Maybe WWE should invade other shows.

It would make wrestling really interesting again. Tuning into different shows just to see whats going to happen.

Some storylines continuing on through multiple promotions.

Thats the future and its inevitable. NXT is already working with NJPW. We all know whos in NJPW.

Now Storm is on NXT, WHILE working with TNA.

He may not like it. But hes sure testing the waters.

And once he feels comfortable, there will be a wrestling explosion like it was in the 90's.

Its happening. And im excited.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

yes if only Bryan had gone to TNA, what a star he could have been unlike in WWE

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Kane was a redditor all along!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

some dude on reddit posted:

Arn Anderson sucks

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Read bottom to top.

Getting mad at the company ace winning in cool matches with cohereant storylines that play into a yearlong story.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

What's worse than getting a tattoo of your favorite wrestler? This is also not work safe, most likely. A friend sent me this and god loving drat I've seen some fans do some stupid things to show their dedication to their favorite workers, but this one takes the cake.

:nms: THIS :nms:

:stare:

Google image search "Slayer scar" for a collage of good life decisions.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The fact that Meltzer/Alvarez or any other "insider" never hinted or mentioned that WWE were trying to bring Bischoff and/or Heyman back in a creative capacity should tell you all you need to know about how much actual "inside knowledge" they have.

I have never heard of or seen Will Ospreay and had to google him. If this sub thinks that a TJ Perkins clone is the best wrestler in the world today...that should tell you all you need to know about current wrestling.

Becky Lynch is terrible. Everything she does is cringe worthy.

Remember when Vince, Stephanie, Shane, and HHH came out and said the fans were the new authority and the internet morons continue to piss and moan and say that they aren't listening to them? Guess what morons? They are listening to you and they are giving you want you loving whine about. That's why you have Kofi, Seth, Becky, and Bayley as the top champions. Remember how the idiot fans want everyone to be a champion? They've added more belts. The booking is inconsistent because these dumb smarks want to book people the same way. Richochet loses a match and he's buried. 2 weeks later he's US Champion. That's r/SC booking in a nutshell.

Meltzer saying that the upcoming AEW show was the most "ticket demanded" show in the history of wrestling is another sign that you should never take anything that he says seriously ever again. More demand than Wrestlemania 3? Wrestlemania 17? 18? No loving way.

I love how no one batted an eye when NJPW had poor ticket sales when trying to come to the US Market. It's front page news whenever WWE has bad attendance and sales.

I love how spineless Kenny Omega showed himself to be this week. Can you imagine Dusty Rhodes saying he felt "sick to his stomach" because Vince decided to run the first Royal Rumble on the same day as the Bunkhouse Stampede?

Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks aren't draws, and casual fans probably only remember Cody from when he was Orton's lackey.

Kofi Kingston makes David Arquette as world champion seem like a good idea.

Seth Rollins defending the company he works for and bragging about how much money he makes is totally fine. It's about time someone loving called out these indy fucks who constantly brag about star ratings.

Speaking of star ratings, wrestling is about how much money you can make not how many stars some 60 year old man can rate your technical ability.

If you listen to Conrad Thompson's various podcasts, he quotes extensively from Meltzer's Observer. About 90% of the time, Meltzer will poo poo on a match and call it the worst on the card and then act bemused because the crowd was really into it. Then he talk about how a Malenko/La Parka match was the best on the card and act bemused about how the crowd could give 2 shits less. That should tell you everything you need to know about the industry and what draws. Entertaining characters do. Work rate does not.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It's a single post from r/squaredcircle's weekly hot takes thread, which honestly, a single week's one could be endless fodder for this thread. I remember one from a long time ago where someone asked if Charlotte got implants because her original breasts had shriveled from steroid abuse.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

People say NXT is good simply because all it is is high spots. High spots are not good. High spots are the reason why wrestling has died. NXT isn't the modern day 1990's ECW its fanboys claim it is. Its actually a place for guys who aren't good enough to become stars in wrestling to pretend they are actually stars that were held back by backstage politics. You also need to understand NXT isn't a separate company and its owned by Vince McMahon. Yes marks you have been worked by senile Vince into thinking its an independent company.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/cdd9pf/people_need_to_understand_nxt_is_not_good/

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Browsing the new submissions of reddit is a treasure trove for this thread.

quote:

Some of ya'll need to learn your history before you speak. Vince bought out a lot of territories including their film libaries but a lot of territories was already on the verge of going out of business.... He was the first to get on national tv because he could afford the time slots and he had the investors to do so.... Just because they don't have any competition that canbe competitive, and they have the power to expand Nxt in other continents, and they are a the a global powerhouse name.... That does not mean they are a MONOPOLY... What do y'all expect their family is worth at least 3 billion together and they are willing to risk it all investing their last into wrestling... They been doing this since the 40s so do you think they are going to stop now... No matter what y'all say they are not a MONOPOLY
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/chgku2/wwe_is_not_a_monopoly/

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

WWE fan complaints that boil down to "when/if this happened in WWE everyone would be mad" are the absolute dumbest. They're complaining that another fanbase isn't as miserable as them for reasons that are beyond me.

And I’m like “buddy I watched Dragon Gate through the entirety of the T-Hawk push, and let me tell you, people were mad.”

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Past few weeks of reddit’s Hot Takes thread have been pretty boring, mostly insular drama, but finally got a good one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/cnzsfj/zero_fucks_friday_august_9th_2019/eweysha/

quote:

Guys, get it together and use your heads.
Meltzer is claiming that the last few weeks Vince threw the Smackdown script out and rewrote it himself. The first few weeks it was hours before he show. Last week he apparently rewrote the second hour, while the first hour was going on.
Here's the problem: the past few weeks have been great. WWE has been really good for months and months now, but you guys specifically liked the last few weeks - before Meltzy told you that Vince rewrote it all, of course.
So if Vince didn't like the Smackdown scripts and rewrote it all himself as Meltzy claimed, then he should fire his entire writing team and write every show himself.
For someone who isn't a TV Writer, he done an amazing job. And the fact he done it all just hours prior to the show and even during the show, while his work was still entertaining and made sense within storylines, advancing said stories means he's like one of the most creative writers in all of wrestling.
But the running narrative has been that Vince is "ruining the WWE" because he personally rewrites storylines, angles and shows. Yet when he apparently just rewrites shows at the last min without a care, they're amazing.
So, to that end, I have a theory on this massive inconsistency regarding Vince's talent:
Vince clearly didn't rewrite the shows at the last min. That's really dumb. Firstly, he wouldn't have time, secondly it wouldn't be any good if it was rushed. But apparently this 73 year old - who spends all the rest of his time running the other aspects of WWE - can magically write amazing wrestling shows in like half an hour.
So this obviously isn't the case, and I suggest a very simple answer: Meltzy's latest source is a lower-tier writer in WWE, who works on the Smackdown brand. Their material was scrapped and rewrittin by Vince.
So they get pissed off and cry to Meltzy, claiming that Vince rewrote the whole show rather than just their awful segment.
Occum's Razor. Please use your heads whenever someone like Meltzer tries to claim this outlandish bullshit. He just spouts uncorfirmable bullshit and everyone falls for it hook, line and sinker.
Smarten Up

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/cr3ux1/zero_fucks_friday_august_16th_2019/ex1sho6/

It was interesting to see Dave Meltzer maxing out the Takeover ratings at 4.25 stars this week after years of giving out 5-star ratings like candy. I wonder what changed. Surely it couldn't be the word that NXT would be competing directly with AEW.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

There's a strain of wrestling dumbass who thinks that any match that isn't structured around limb work or a traditional Hulk Hogan style match lacks "psychology".

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

davidbix posted:

Is this the right thread to kvetch about Cornette's increasing insistence that nobody wants to se "the girls matches," especially not in equal numbers to the men's matches?

If the opinions bad and dumb and not from this forum, you’re in the right thread.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Cornette thinks the way to capture that demo is for the wrestlers to gently caress them

Don’t gently caress 12 year olds.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

So RAW gets a new GM who basically looks like Stalin or Guevara or so and as a social experiment he makes RAW the communist center of WWE while SmackDown focuses on pure capitalism. Every sports entertainer gets paid the same and there's no buffet backstage; everyone gets a lunch box for the day. Most of the main event players are not cool with that so they look to get drafted to SmackDown but the RAW GM closes the borders, so to speak, and refuses to make deals with the SD GM unless it's about sending SD superstars to RAW, of course. There could be a few outliers though for the surprise effect (people's contracts running out and getting hired by SD).

The low carders on the other hand love getting paid as much as the big players and there's free health insurance so they happily stay and form some kind of bond amongst each other and become close friends. They become some kind of wolfpack, if you will.

The people on SD watch and have split opinions among them as well, which means tons of potential feuds with the bigger guys fighting against the smaller guys and alliances forming and so on. There could be a mini-revolution in SD with a small stable of rich people holding everyone down and hiring heel low carders as henchmen.

Anyways, it all leads up to, of course, Survivor Series. There would actually be a reason to cheer for either brand. It's not RAW vs SD for the sake of it like usual. It's a war between the brands and a "civil" war among the brands themselves, so in the big team match people might turn on each other, but they have to work together, too. It could also be people forming alliances cross-brand (rich people supporting each other, pro-communism superstars helping each other).

Thoughts?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also see the fact the WWE had a Sandy Hook denier main event Wrestlemania this year

Also see that Vince basically pulled a Joe Paterno for three separate pedophiles and faced less consequences for it than a dead man.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

I know it's been a while since it happened now and everybody's probably sick of talking about it, but I just watched the end of this episode of RAW and the main event is a guy the company should be building as a top star having a push apart brawl with some boxing guy that nobody's ever heard of.
What the hell?!
It's a wrestling show!!
Seriously, I've been going back and watching every RAW from the beginning on the network and after months of getting the biggest reactions of anyone on the roster, that idiot Vince has RAW end with Stone Cold Steve Austin having a pull-apart brawl with some Tyson boxing guy. So stupid!
There's so many guys on that roster who could be huge stars if Vince gave them a shot - Kama, Henry Godwinn, Bart Gunn, the Headbangers - but instead they're wasting the main event segment on some Tyson boxing guy nobody's ever heard of.
So stupid

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It’s a dude trying to own people complaining about last nights raw by comparing Tyson Fury to the arguably the most famous boxer of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

davidbix posted:

Who's the third? Phillips, Garvin, and...Patterson?

I was including Patterson. I know those accusations are iffy but A. This is a forum mainly for shitposting so I’m not going to worry myself with gaining a preponderance of evidence, and B. At this point I’m not willing to give Vince or the WWE the benefit of the doubt over anything.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 9, 2019