Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I like the idea of AEW as a host league for other promotions to guest in and defend their titles on occasion. But the OP is correct about AEW/ROH having too many of its own titles floating around.

Even if that title appeared on AEW (highly unlikely considering it's Emi holding it), AEW has 7 titles (plus FTW) and ROH has 6, and they're still working on getting ROH off of AEW TV, so I'm not really sure that you could cut titles down a lot. You've got World - Tag - Trios and Women's World for your "main" ones, then TNT - TBS for your TV ones and All-Atlantic as the more "open" one, with PAC defending it in the UK (and it wouldn't make sense for someone who can't be on TNT to get the TNT title). I guess they were fine before the Trios title, but why not have a prize for three-person teams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

That it was All Atlantic

That was the only rule and they broke it immediately

Remember the dozens of Europeans defending the European Championship in matches all over Europe?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

While it's not illegal, it is massively frowned on

Yeah every time someone brings age of consent laws, you know they're full of poo poo. It's legal for me (soon to be 30) to hit on a 18 year old etc. Doesn't make it not absolutely scummy, even if it's not a jail-time offense

(here it's 16 if the other person isn't more than 2yrs older than you, 18 otherwise)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I think he's friends with a bunch of wrestlers, on account of working closely with them and his general friendly personality. Also I suspect Billy Gunn Daddy rear end and the Acclaimed would like him a lot, seeing how he was the first to coin the term "Daddy rear end" iirc

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AEW is doing a UK show soon, they should partner up with the miniatures industry, I want to run Chaplain Hobbs in my Space Marines. HOOK the Necron. J'awn Morksley.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

They clearly don't watch AEW or know anything about TK's booking because they almost never have DQ finishes

I've been watching AEW for a year or so, and I remember exactly one finish that wasn't a three-count, submission, or referee's decision (knocked out), and that was when Wardlow interrupted a match between MJF and Shawn Dean, MJF ran off, and tried to bribe Bryce Remsburg to not count him out, so it ended in a count-out

There's probably been more but I don't recall them

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

this kid is nuts posted:

I'm not against the idea that wrestling shows can have a heavy emphasis on storylines and segments etc. outside of just matches. But whenever I've actually sat down and watched the WWF/E the "storyline" is usually that one guy calls another guy a poo poo head, then the other guys comes out and says "no you're the poo poo head" and hits him with his finisher.

Fair fucks if that's what you like but personally I prefer seeing people piledrive each other through tables

AEW also is more than just "matches happening". I'm still a few week behind, but in the Dynamite I finished watching today, there was an altercation between Sonjay Dutt and co. and the Best Friends (post-match), Acclaimed and Gunns banter (no match), Hangman and Renee interview (no match), Adam Cole return promo (no match), JAS interview (post-match), MJF promo (after the Bryan/Bandido match), Soraya/Toni/Shida confrontation (pre-match), Brian Cage/MJF segment (from the MJF/Bryan storyline), Ethan Page/Stokely promo for their upcoming match with Jungle Boy (no match), and Takeshita calling MJF an rear end in a top hat (no match).

And that's in addition to any stuff happening during/around matches (Shida showing up during the Toni/Willow match, or when she appeared in the tag team match the other day, Darby Allin's ongoing storyline etc).

Whenever I see these folks that clearly don't know what they're talking about, it's laughable. Meanwhile, the WWE has such must-see segments as "fat guy gets sprayed with mustard, then is asked to join the models. You wouldn't think the models would want him, cause he's fat!"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

It was a work bite brother, Larry don't break kayfabe

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lamuella posted:

The famously less taxing style of WWE and its billion house shows a year

But it would boost his international profile. Finally these hicks over in Japan would take notice of the uh... multiple-time, multiple-promotion champion, who's main evented the Tokyo Dome multiple times.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ugh can't believe I have to own both a PS1 AND a GameCube to understand Kenny Omega's finishing moves

Bonk posted:

Meteora lore is kinda cute actually; it's literally just the landmark in Greece where CIMA proposed to his wife, so he named his move after it. :3:

So about as Byzantine as the Windham Rotunda fanfic, got it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

I get this attitude tbh. I'll avoid watching/reading/playing anything long and brilliant that's unfamiliar and instead do the shorter, blander thing repeatedly because it's familiar and needs less investment.

Not saying its a good attitude but it's the one that got me into pro wrestling in the first place.

It's an understandable attitude. I know I will have x "good chemicals" with an episode of some YouTube thing, while a movie could range from 0 to multiple times x, for two three times the time, nah, youtube it is.

Like you say its not a great attitude, but it can be managed. For example I know MJF and Bryan were putting on a banger, so I knew it would be more enjoyable than an hour of youtube for sure. I don't think I'd have watched a 1hr Ironman between Hobbs and Adam Cole with the same ease, regardless of actual quality in the end.

Reviews help too. I was even more excited to watch the match when I heard people were into it, same with the Omega/Okada matches. It doesn't guarantee my fun, but it does give more evidence to support it

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SG Bamboo posted:

Was wondering why Oji Shiiba was rated so low since I thought he's a solid hand, got a chuckle out of his only two cagematch reviews

Oji Shiiba is a land of contrasts

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rotinaj posted:

He was too early, is all

He should have started with the tequila that mjf stole from a fan, and held down a little child and poured it in each of the kid’s eyes

Teasing his new finisher, the salt rimmed glass of the earth

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lamuella posted:

I think the dumbest part for me is that WWE routinely book the show on the show. You go into a 3 hour RAW knowing one match. AEW almost always give you the full card, but that's a problem somehow?

No storytelling. Not a single qr code in sight!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

this kid is nuts posted:

I don't mind fans taking an interest in ticket sales/ratings etc., but it annoys me how so much of online discussion around wrestling is nerds pretending to be expert promoters. In particular I hate when they poo poo on wrestlers for "not being a draw" etc.

Roman Reigns isn't a draw brother. Let's get this The Bunny in, now she's the real needle mover

Joke aside it is such a pointless topic of discussion, not to mention there's no actual goal. Oh they don't hit a million, OK, cool, are they meeting their goals? Are they selling merch? Selling out shows? They've had multiple papes in a row beat their own goals, that's good enough for them, so that's end of story.

Wait I forgot Big Hug Tony is lying and it's plants and papered tickets and all the merch is given away for free or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Duke Pukem posted:

They should have a Jr. title but it only can be held by guys who went to OU or who are really good at BBQ.

Who would cut the "autism be damned my boy can work a grill" promo

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Vandar posted:

That tweet has real 'tell me you've never seen Nick Wayne wrestle before' energy.

Even if you've never seen him (which, hey, first time for everything right?), it takes less time to google "nick wayne cagematch" and click on the first result to find out he's been wrestling for five years, than it took me to write this post.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Isn't Luther an Austrian count with a PhD who speaks like 13 languages? Who wouldn't hire him?

He's also locker room poison, look at how he's always going into business for himself when it comes to Serpentico. #SerpSquad

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

And that nWo member? Was Alfred Einstein

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

That Moxley guy has potential. He should hang out in WWE, put him alongside The Big Dog of the Table and Sami Zayn, maybe he could amount to something.

I'm not the biggest fan of the guy, but anyone saying he's straight up bad is unserious at best and delusional at worst.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Yeah but also Euro 2004 sucked a lot

I'm Greek and no it didn't

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Tony Khan MUST reach out to Kim Jeong Un to collide in Korea again. The people of North Korea deserve topes.

"not recognized by at least one UN member state" will become the new "outlaw mudshow" mark my words

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Clean

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jonny Nox posted:

Tony comes out from the curtain after Ryback squashes Serp

What did I do?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

True, Mazel Tov Cocktails are probably pretty good and AEW is good.

MJF's new finisher when he turns face

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

edogawa rando posted:

Norman Smiley.

I hope we get Danhausen at Wembleyhausen

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I wanted to check out the merch stand at All In, but the queue on the way in was like 45 minutes, and it was growing on the way out, so we didn't. Would've loved a "I was there" shirt but alas.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Vandar posted:

These people are out of their goddamn minds.

Can't believe Megha mind controlled the Punkster to attack Jungle Boy, that's messed up of her tbh

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

wicka posted:

You should read the F1 thread.

Under no circumstances should anyone in their right mind do such a thing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tony Khan needs to stop doing Burning Hammers on all the talent, I agree.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

nono, thats not a firing, just a public ban. his w2 should still clear come april!

That's unrelated to the firing and ban, I just don't want him to injure all of his workers

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Oh there's more now

These two guys (Kyle and Sam) are essentially bad faith trolls at this point. I can't imagine spending as much time and energy as they do for what is unfunny shitposting tbh, they're pathetic.

I'm more amused than I should be about the Mox hotdog memes tho

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

If you expand to "signed wrestlers who did not appear on Wrestledream but have appeared on television recently*":

Jungle Boy, Daniel Garcia, both members of Top Flight, Action Andretti, Bandido, Blake Christian, Komander, Anna Jay, Jamie Hayter, Kiera Hogan, Leyla Hirsch, Riho, Skye Blue, Tay Melo, Toni Storm, and Willow Nightingale.

And Hook, obviously.

Jay White is less than a year older than BPJ, and I am sure after a year in NXT Beepie will easily exceed Switchblade.

* I am including people who were on TV before they got injured and also counting ROH as TV, I understand if either decision is controversial

If we're counting "less than a year", Ospreay is like four months older than Beepie. Surely the PC will get him there.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

I'll understand and enjoy this before I ever do the "pape" one

Pay per view
Payper view
Payper
Paype
Pape

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The TNT title, famously not part of any storyline that has elevated it any time recently

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm going to my local (and my country's only) wrestling promotion on Saturday, all this talk has me excited. Hoping I get to make it a regular thing

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

From a lovely wrestling memes FB group:

-Just debuted in the main event
-Double champion
-Just won tag titles
-In a feud for the big title
-Resting after a banger reign

I haven't seen Title Tuesday, but I must've missed something big if the top panel is true.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

https://twitter.com/FakeNadine/status/1717279980436988167

For context, Nadine was recently suspended from twitter for violent threats.

Worked herself into a shoot brother, hate to see it

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Had us in the first half, but man I almost did a spit-take at the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sometimes an episode is bad because it doesn't have the special boy on it. The special boy is of course different for each viewer. I just don't take any of it seriously

I was promised Danhausen