Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dsriggs posted:

If you haven't, listen to the Wrestling Observer Live radio show the night the WWF/WCW deal was announced. Call after call after call of "So... it's a work, right?" & "So what do YOU think will happen on Nitro next week?"

It was this call repeated over and over and over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCNx8QO0MnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

quote:

Stardog Champion • 16 hours ago

If TNA is cancel TNA then I'm done with pro wrestling forever. I'll leave TNAmecca, and shut down my youtube channel. I am not going to watch GFW or stream indy wrestling. Nope I'm done for good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

Almost as funny as some people around here thinking that RAW was gonna be on AMC.

One of the reasons the stock ran up so high was takeover rumors, some of which involved AMC. They weren't true, but that stuff didn't originate here or among wrestling fans, it came from the markets.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

I never said it originated on here.

People talking about stock market rumors is hardly the same because no one on here said anything like what TNA fans are. Barely anyone acted like it was a real possibility at all, and there was at least some reason for people not paying attention to do so.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

This reminds me of my favorite TNA anecdote. I think it's originally from the Board:

"I went to Best Buy today to pick up the Against All Odds 2008 DVD with the tremendous Kurt Angle © vs Christian Cage TNA World Heavyweight Championship match. I had no intention of buying any WWE dvds since I had crossed the line in 2002 and never looked back, but they had the Rey Mysterio: Ultimate Fan Collection on sale and since I've started working out regularly, I figured it was worth it for the wrist bands. When I got up to the counter, the cashier said "Which of these things is not like the other?" and gave a sarcastic smirk while scanning my TNA disc. I asked him what the deal was and he talked about how TNA wasn't "legitimate." Uh, the TNA World Heavyweight Champion is a freaking Olympic Gold Medalist! That's as legitimate as it gets. WWE's champions are a white rapper, a zombie, and the brother of a zombie. He offered to void it if I wanted to and it'd be no problem. I declined his "polite" offer and I paid for my stuff and got out. How much is WWE paying Best Buy to try to discourage them from crossing the line?"

I then went to Gamestop to buy the TNA Impact (tm) game and the cashier did not ask me if I wanted a protection plan for my game!!!!!!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I got sucked into telling the TNA podcast guy he was wrong. I blame rovert.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

Sad news:

I wish TNA fans hated me as much as they hate you.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

quote:

MST3Claye PhenomAJJones • 25 minutes ago
Don't do that.. had me thinking it was legit till I read "From PWInsider"... Here we go again.. It's funny all these rumors and reports.. yet.. a company being canceled signs for a big PPV in Japan... signs up a war veteran for a wrestling contract... another UK tour... and now this with Bully Ray even though he's HoF and signed for the UK tour. When will they give up?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Fine. Bray's problems have nothing to do with Husky Harris.

He means that while the fans all take out their cell phones for Bray and cheer Ziggler after all these years Cena still only gets a mixed reaction from the crowd. They remember.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Madtrixr posted:

Yeah their name is Kronik but theres NOTHING that they did that said "I smoke weed" other than their finisher being High Times or whatever, also they were mercenaries at one point or another?

God Kronik sucks

Kroni>| was the coolest.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Punk didn't have a ton of athleticism but he makes up for it in selling, psychology and having tons of babyface fire.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

How is this guy real

He's not, he's a troll.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

The only things my uncle watches other than SyFy are the Detroit Lions and MASH reruns.

He made me watch "Frogs" once and swore it was amazing.

Your uncle is correct.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I bet he's right that their viewership has increased thanks to the dozen people who frequent TNA fan sites and checked to see if they got the channel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You can tell TNA has the best wrestlers because no one on the TNA roster got injured by the Styles Neck Breaker (Clash) but when he leaves to work with inferior wrestlers he injures them all. The only guy who ever got injured by it in TNA is Frankie Kazarian and he wasn't good enough to stay in the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Holy poo poo. A TNA Mecca poster said he wished they'd get rid of the six sided ring for the safety of the wrestlers and this was the response:

quote:

Ninjafitz Timothy Tate • an hour ago

If you care about the wrestlers safety at the next big spot where Davey Richards takes a powerbomb on the barricade or Jeff Hardy Swantons on the steel steps change the channel I want you to not pop. I want you to come on here and bitch about them putting there body on the line. Every flip every move has an element of danger to it. So unless its a straight wrestling match I want you to complain otherwise your hypocritical about their safety.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I looked at this for 30 seconds or so trying to figure out how it related to TNA before realizing this thread wasn't just for TNA fans.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I know it isn't Friday yet but this account will be at the top of my #FF!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

It's stupid because Babe Ruth isn't the GOAT, Barry Bonds is.

Exactly, and Hulk Hogan is the greatest of all time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
From the 10/27/97 Observer

quote:

This is ridiculous. The 9/22 issue spent four-and-a-half pages on the death of Fritz Von Erich. What the hell am I paying for? I can understand a half page, even a page, but four-and-a-half pages? It's time to speak up. I ignored the issue with the story about some dead Roller Derby lady. This was the final straw. I get this newsletter because it's the best. I've tried all the others and it's the best. But if you're going to keep this up every time somebody dies, you're going to lose readers. Nobody cares about a lengthy story surrounding a wrestlers' death. If we don't already know about their career, after they die isn't the time to start educating us. Simply tell us that the guy died, what names he wrestled under and a few quick facts about his career. It's hypocritical to go any deeper and I'm not paying for that crap much longer.

John Kashmer

Burlington, New Jersey

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Could be 500k when you add the replay as a de facto west coast airing.

Was this posted on Asylum or Mecca?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A Dapper Man posted:

This is even more of a long shot now that the head of DC has said that they are going to move back towards actual nature documentaries and the like. I wonder if TNAMecca has heard that yet.

TNA is ahead of the curve with the documentary aspects of Impact. This is how close TNA is to Discovery!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

quote:

Will1225 Moderator • 22 minutes ago

Fun fact: two full length uploads of the 1/7/15 episode of Impact had a combined 200K views in two days. #ProofTVRatingsAreNotAccurate

Clearly this means the ratings are inaccurate rather than the channel is impossible to get or TNA fans love rewatching Impact.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
More 1997 Observer letters:

quote:

PWI

I'm sure by now you've seen the PWI Top 500. A friend of mine and I were goofing on it pretty hard. "Hey, you know, Bart Gunn's way better than Dory Funk Jr. It must be true, they wrote it." Dean Malenko is a tremendous talent, but No. 1? I was shocked that they actually placed Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada and Kenta Kobashi in the top 15 but that same top 15 included Diamond Dallas Page, Lex Luger, The Giant and The Undertaker. Okay, Page has improved to the point where I could see him being in maybe the top 50. Undertaker is probably the most over gimmick performer ever. The Giant? Let's see in five years. But Lex Luger as the No. 5 wrestler in the world was way too funny to the point of being sick. Think about it. Year in and year out he's always been pushed and only the densest marks buy it.

As much as I mark out for ECW, in their employ is absolutely the worst wrestler I've ever seen. Big Dick Dudley blows up picking his nose. Crush and Jim Duggan can now look in the mirror and say, "Hey, at least I'm not the worst wrestler in the world." Mercifully they placed Taka Michinoku ahead of this tie-die wearing refrigerator.

Pat Crocker

Newport, Rhode Island

Imagine wasting a stamp on the PWI 500.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Oldie but a goodie, what a toolbag this guy is!

quote:

PANCRASE

Here are a few things about Pancrase to think about.

1. Why are the fighters allowed to kick each other with shoes? You can't do that in the UFC. The shin pads didn't cover the hardest part of the shoe, the bottom. Front and side kicks, which use the bottom of the shoe, were thrown.

2. Why are punches not allowed and brutal leg kicks rarely used? Could it be because punches are impossible to fake convincingly and leg kicks, while not as difficult to fake as punches, are hard to make look full power and the fighters tend to overact when hit by them (like in UWFI)? I don't think you'll see too many people outside of shootfighting get knocked out cold by a palm heel slap.

3. Why do none of the fighters seem terribly worried when they are obviously in a position to be choked out and the fighter in the position to do the choking rarely tries very hard to do so? You rarely see anybody who knows chokes in the UFC not take advantage of the opportunity.

4. With points scored so infrequently, doesn't it seem silly that Ken Shamrock would have said that one fighter, in a dominant position, would just let his opponent up when the opponent would lose a point if he locked on a submission hold because of a rope break, would decide against working for the submission because he didn't want to give away any of his submissions. Doesn't he know at least a few?

5. I've never heard of a boxing, kick boxing or judo organization that only consists of about 20 fighters, most of whom are trained by the same people, who just rotate fighting one another. The UFC is actually fairly easy to get into and anyone can compete. From what I understand, Pancrase is a very exclusive organization and difficult to get into. I wonder why? Also, why are the fighters paid salary like pro wrestlers instead of given purses for each match based on the result?

6. Finally, doesn't it seem strange that even SEG won't come out and state officially that Pancrase is 100% real?

Pro wrestling is great, but in no way should it be confused with something real like UFC. I loved the Rocky movies, but Sylvester Stallone was never the legitimate heavyweight boxing championship of the world. Let's not blur fantasy and reality. Pancrase may occasionally have some legitimate shoots but so did the UWFI. It is not terribly hard to tell the difference between real matches and not-so-real matches. Pancrase is simply a better worked, though less entertaining, version of UWFI. As much as I like and respect Ken Shamrock, I have to say that if he wants to claim any glory from his victories in Pancrase, he is also going to have to acknowledge his losses in pro wrestling matches, such as his loss to Bart Vale, which was an obvious work. You can't have it both ways.

Joe Silva

Richmond, Virginia

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Optimist with doubt posted:

You know I was just thinking that TNA was exactly like Brian Wilson because that is a rational thought for a human being to have.

Dude is getting paid a lot of money to be bad at baseball there's gotta be some connection to TNA here.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Solomonic posted:

Lmao that's amazing. Was that written before he got his position in the UFC?

A year or two before he started consulting with them. He got that position by sending them letters about what they were doing wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

Christian was a career midcarder at best in WWE before going to TNA, where he was immediately treated like a bigger star than WWE ever had. Christian was definitely on the long path to nowhere in WWE at the time of leaving, and if anything his career was heading downward quickly. I'd say he's a legitimate case of "This guy was way better off in TNA than had he stuck around in WWE".

Given how miserable he was in TNA I don't think that's true. He was better off for having gone there because he came back at a time when WWE had zero roster depth and thus he was more valuable. His last year and a half in TNA was spent worse off than he was at the end of his WWE run and TNA pretty much blew his initial face run by immediately making the focus of the company be about Sting and Jarrett, not Christian.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TNA: We Are Wrestling with wrestlers that look like wrestlers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That dude has a good #1 wrestler and I'm going to pretend he means the real life Zangief.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

At the time I was SUPER into American Bad rear end Undertaker. Looking back I understand it was loving terrible, but I don't care. I will always remember the night that Kid Rock played on Raw, got all the swearing in that song past the censors who were always too slow or early bleeping it, and then Undertaker was there on a motorcycle. And I will cherish that memory.

They pushed him really hard and did a lot of things to make him look special so it's not like it's shameful if a fan was super into him. They gave him a special theme, a motorcycle and as usual he rarely lost. If he didn't get over with all that it'd be quite the story.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

WWE IS racist and homophobic though.

WWE has a pretty good history with gay employees given Vince publicly defended Pat Patterson and put his company's reputation on the line to do so. Their onscreen product can be extremely homophobic at times but they've shown surprising openness inside the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Are you seriously gonna defend how they treated Kanyon? Dude came out and they put him in makeup on national television and had a biker beat him up.
WWE has had one closeted gay man very high up in the company for decades. They've also produced some of the most blatantly homophobic television for that same amount of time. Don't hold up an exception and pretend it's the rule.

First of all, Patterson wasn't closeted. He had a public partner and his sexuality was talked about on national TV. He could not have been more out. Kanyon came out after his WWE run and said his claims they fired him his sexuality were a publicity stunt. They set Darren Young and TMZ up so he could come out publicly so they sure seemed to like that idea. Given a friend of mine is out and worked for the company for years Patterson isn't the exception. A company can a homophobic product but still treat gay employees well internally.

Edit: I guess Kanyon said he came out internally in 2001? I don't remember that happenening as I remember some wrestlers talking about being surprised when he came out publicly years later. He's said a lot of contradictory things about his time in WWE so there's a situation where I have no idea what to think.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 5, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DJExile posted:

What's Mitchell up to these days anyway? I miss him and his spectacular eyebrows.

I think he's still doing his karaoke business in Florida.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shut up about whatever the hell that yammering was about.

TNA Mecca sure had a lot to say about HHH not having anything to say about Sting in TNA!

quote:

MarkC201 • an hour ago

Didn't catch RAW, but I heard HHH said that Sting disappeared after WCW. A lot of people roll their eyes at that but I find it pretty fascinating. Pair that with when RVD said people would ask him why he retired while he was at TNA. Is brand awareness really what it all comes down too? All these years of scrutinizing the creative end when the real issue is that a lot of people simply still haven't heard of TNA after all these years? It's a disturbing thought, but encouraging at the same time believe it or not.

quote:

Chris Regal Moderator MarkC201 • 44 minutes ago

I'm sure there's something to that. Vince McMahon will never let another company get as big as WCW did again.

Dixie Carter even said it in a recent interview that they fight TNA all way.

That market share I mentioned earlier could take a hit if TNA was ever mentioned on RAW.

quote:

Magna • 29 minutes ago

TNA is competition to WWE, it is not a threat to WWE, people like Meltzer and other NEWZ sites should learn the difference between the two.

quote:

Feed Me Morons - Oooh Yeah!!! • 26 minutes ago

I don't know why HHH didn't mention TNA it wouldn't have been a big deal if he did. TNA mentions WWE and other companies mention WWE too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TNA Mecca hates Samoa Joe now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The most recent comments on the Mecca

quote:

Harry • 5 minutes ago

I'm not hurt by Joe leaving. Never a big fan of him.. But... Idk. It came out of nowhere.

JaySin420 Harry • 2 minutes ago

I've only been watching a few years and I know I missed his best stuff. But I really don't mind this at all, he's always looked very slow to me. I'm more pissed knowing the haters are gonna have a field day with this.

Angela M Campany JaySin420 • a minute ago

I'm more pissed knowing the haters are gonna have a field day with this.

Agreed on this part of it immensely !

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dsriggs posted:

Reddit also buzzing over some bullshit report that ROH is in talks with Spike, completely forgetting they're already owned by a television company.

If Sinclair could get paid more for ROH TV than it is worth to them they'd do that deal in a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Under the vegetable posted:

There could be, but ad companies decide that, and they're idiots.

WWE's fanbase is not desirable. It's large enough to probably be worth a bit more than it is but it's relatively poor and uneducated.