Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Poasty posted:

As a kid the 3:16 line didn't make any sense to me and I'm not sure it does now
Watching that is one of my first childhood memories of wrestling and my mom banned it in the house until my dad started sneaking VHS tapes his cousin made copies of the PPV with Austin and Mike Tyson fighting.

I don't remember why I was punished for seeing it but I had to write the bible verse John 3:16 a hundred times to repent for my sin of watching what my dad had on TV at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

what in the gently caress lol
Living in the south, baybeeee!

keithy george posted:

Bruce Pritchard gives the speech about “they can’t win in their home town because people watch all over the world”, then the product is watching promos about the Idaho Buckledome and the Kansas Antelopes while we salute the American flag.
Distinctly remember old Raw shows that had a bunch of shots of the city and local landmarks, even the outside of the arena they were in and some gruff guy on a phone in WCW talking about where you should eat at while promoting upcoming shows

Those were fun because I didn't travel much as a kid or teenager so I got to see and hear about the rest of the country.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

Mrs. Tampa Bae's Mom: I don't get it, I made them associate the Bible with a negative and somewhat traumatic memory and for some reason they didn't become more religious as a result? That wrestling must be to blame!
Wait until you hear the story about how my dad won an N64 from a local fox station's Simpson's trivia contest and my mother made me hand it to a very confused garbage truck driver.

Hope that sanitary worker made his kids very happy that day because it hadn't even been opened

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

J...Jesus.....

Yeah I was goofing around but.... drat dude. :smith:
The Simpsons lead to a hard worker getting a free N64, what's sad about that?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Endless Mike posted:

Steve Austin's most famous promo "Hey folks! I'm taking my King of the Ring crown to watch the Packers here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin!"
That's a Mick Foley promo and he's the only guy who could ever get away with that kind of pandering

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Booker T must be angling for a contract from WWE or something, that's the only reason I can see for him having such an incredibly stupid take on Punk's promo

Like, even Jim Cornette, a man whose career at this point is literally "poo poo on anything AEW does", had high praise for both the promo and how AEW executed Punk's return
Booker T already has a legends contract, he was at WM this year. If he's angling for anything it'd be for Vince to put him on the commentary desk full-time somewhere for a bigger contract

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I don't have a kid but if I did being able to find pictures of them online seems like a good coming to God moment that I should delete my social media but maybe I'm just old-fashioned

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

MJeff posted:

Congrats, you have something in common with the aewbotches guy.
being unhinged and posting on twitter all day does not automatically disqualify you from having children, who are we to doubt AEWbotches

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Signing lots of former WWF stars is fine as a sleight against WCW but WWE was the only major wrestling promotion for nearly 20 years so where else were they going to be at. Might as well pop Vince in that graphic and replace it with "Signed former WCW and TNA stars"

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Duke Pukem posted:

Do wrestlers in AEW have creative control? They have creative input, but that's a little different. Tony is open to ideas, but as far as I know, nobody can change finishes against his will.
Creative input which Tony reeled back from after a lot of dumb ideas making it to TV early on in the promotion. Early examples were some Jericho and Matt Hardy's stuff. I might have heard Jericho wanted the dance number with MJF to be a dream sequence too but Tony nixed it and just had them do it directly on TV

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

There's a big difference between "Shoot-style" where people are slapping each other in the face and chest really hard like Kobashi and Walter and whatever happened between Flair and Nia Jax but yeah in hindsight maybe some of these people shouldn't have been kicked in the head and dropped on their necks so much for our entertainment.

Then you've got stuff like that Stardom shoot fight from a while back where a larger wrestler (Like Nia Jax) actually did just shoot and stomp the hell out of a smaller competitor and it got stopped because one of the seconds in the match literally shoot called the match because the referee and owner of the company wouldn't.

People are over-reacting like hell to what was just two people having a communication breakdown and not wanting to work together for a couple minutes. Knowing WWE though they'll try and use the heat to book a worked shoot match that's totally worked and just as awkward/awful but on purpose this time

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Dangerous Person posted:

Do tell, I'm not familiar with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qstbjwENFy0

The smaller girl already was already blind-ish in one eye to start with and some other health issues that made her pretty fragile and this match ended her career if I recall. This was a match that shouldn't have happened to begin with because the two legitimately hated each other so it turned into an MMA fight that a referee refused to end. There's spots where they were trying to "wrestle" but it just turned into them hitting each other for real

Going off memory here, someone from the Joshi thread probably knows better details

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 1, 2021

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

I was vaguely horrified if not really surprised to learn apparently Yoshiko came back to work at Stardom.
I've got no allegiance to either wrestler and it's been a long time since that incident and they might've both moved on but I was turned off to Stardom for a long time because of that and from what I've read the company didn't and hasn't gotten much better they've just had less bad publicity.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I don't think we should pull poo poo posts relating to Daffney, I don't care how stupid of a take it is

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

ThePariah posted:

Why do all these fake woke "Lindsey Kelks" of the world turn around and praise WWE so much?
They were never wrestling fans they were WWE fans and a lot of them are specifically WWE fan grifters

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Thank you Pav for reminding me that Brian Danielson can now feud with a better Miz in AEW in MJF

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

JT Smiley posted:

I guarantee that guy hasn't even seen the match, he's just appalled at the idea of it getting a high rating.
Nah, I listen to a wrestling podcast where two of the hosts legitimately hated the cage match because "Young Bucks don't know psychology" and get incredibly upset when a Canadian Destroyer doesn't end a match. They don't hate AEW just Young Buck-style matches

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Phuzzy posted:

IT'S A BIG SPOT MAGGLE
They had a girl that does roller derby on the show and were talking about how unrealistic it was that someone can get kicked in the head or take a destroyer and they just get up and no sell it. Roller Derby girl called bullshit on it and I take her word on it, I've played sports before too and when the adrenaline is pumping you don't even realize you're bleeding until afterwards sometimes. If anything people sell TOO MUCH

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Eat My Fuc posted:

I want to see a wrestler than no sells everything but it still hurts him so after like 10 minutes of getting hit with big moves and not selling his body finally gives out and he goes unconscious but you have to survive his onslaught until then not knowing when his steam will run out
So what you want is Brock Lesner

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Eat My Fuc posted:

No, my guy has an actual dong tattoo not a cowardly “sword”
Does Lance Archer having a 'tramp stamp' tattoo for several years count

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The real answer is WWE isn't willing to pay the couple hundred dollars to re-wrap the production trucks because they don't care

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

With my bad math skills between 38-40% of AEW's champions have been not white, depending on whether or not Miro is counted as white

AEW has long reigns as champions so god help me I'm about to draw up the amount of PoC that WWE has had over RAW/Smackdown/NXT since AEW started

I counted 42 White people and 42 People of Color in the WWE with two "I don't know" (Fabian Aichner & Shayna Baszler) that have been champions since AEW started. That doesn't account for title length or that a quarter of the people that aren't white have been fired

I don't remember why I started this experiment

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

IGgy IGsen posted:

Personally I'm more for "I can't wipe the AEW stain off"

Oh it's gone, I'm glad I screenshot it to mock it elsewhere:

And no, unfortunately it was just that tweet that was deleted. The account is still there.

E: haha, set their account to private.
I can't stop associating this tweet with that Evangelion scene which makes it both funny and horrifying

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

karmicknight posted:

I think twitter is just exploding.
Twitter is currently down yeah.

Freezer-burn take: Most of the people mad about AEW partnering with Martha and starting this memorial either didn't see him while he was alive or weren't fans of his, they're just mad that AEW is giving him a tribute. When Dark Side of the Ring's episode on Owen came out I want to see what their takes were on Martha

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Dr. Baker posted:

AEW = NFL

The factions are the teams.

You wouldn't root for The Wingmen to go out of business.
In fact, as a baseball fan I am rooting for the Yankees to go out of business as every other fan in the MLB that isn't a Yankees fan should

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The Demon falling off the top rope and getting a boo boo on his leg just after hulking up from near death hurts him more than anything else, I don't care if Heyman took a chainsaw to the ropes while Balor was standing up there, it's the same height he'd dropped from like 20 other times that match

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

WWE booking minorities is not always racist but it's absolutely ignorant.

Apollo Crews' parents might be from Nigeria but why is he a total caricature with a one-note stereotype as his muscle
Xia Li has a neat Mortal Kombat faction but they're also just video game villains with no personalities
Odd couple pairing with Zoey Starks and Io Shirai, who was apparently raised in the most remote part of the world where she thinks Japanese people all know each other because they share a language and has never heard of Sushi before
Speaking of, Io Shirai her old tag team partner Kairi Sane who got stuck in two different tag teams with Asuka & Io Shirai because they didn't know how to book a babyface who couldn't speak English

Those are just some recent examples but if they've got enough people, minorities almost always feud with other minorities. Latinos vs Latinos for example. Big E is the RAW Champion and in the last two years I only remember Roman Reigns as his only non-black wrestler feud

There's not as many black people at the top of AEW but at least the company doesn't start taking victory laps in PR because they had their first ever women's main event, or had a black champion, or have someone who's openly gay. In AEW they're all just wrestlers, their race, sexuality, etc doesn't make a big difference because it's never been an important part of someone's character.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Oh and before I forget Righteous Reg does a list of the 250/500 best black wrestlers and there's a lot of great wrestlers on this list outside of the couple on the indies you hear about

https://twitter.com/RighteousReg/status/1432781499498221569?s=20

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Gresham was in my favorite 10 wrestlers of the 2010's and he's just gotten better since then

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

cagliostr0 posted:

Gresham is great but without a serious build the audience would just wonder who the local jobber is.

With how the roster is now you are way better off working on people the audience already know and are getting built like Hobbes and Starks. By bringing in tonnes more wrestlers to coddle the half a percent or whatever vanishingly small number of people regularly engage with Twitter you will get yourself into a situation of 100 black wrestlers with no tv time and no build who just trot out a dark match every 4 weeks.
what

Gresham is legitimately one of the best technical wrestlers in the last 15 years, just put him in a match

e: Ever. He's up there with Malenko, Angle, Danielson, and Zack Sabre Jr

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 30, 2021

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Worked heights and weights always confuse the hell out of me because Evil Uno was 6'0 and 230 at his most rotund in AEW and Miro is apparently 6'0 and 300+ and Uno was twice the mass of Miro when he was a big boy

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Cavauro posted:

uno doesn't lift any weights or do any training. he's at 41% body fat. miro works out a lot and is at 28% body fat. a kilogram of muscle is heavier than a kilogram of fat
They're both twitch streamers though

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

You've got two choices. Go radio silent, learn from your mistakes, be a better person outside of the industry for a while and come back showing (not telling) that you've become a better person through your actions

Option B is just get mad and blame woke culture for the reason you got called out and never log out of twitter.

Scorpio Sky almost had a job with the WWE while Kane and Brian Danielson were doing the Team Hell No stuff but got called out for the awful stuff he was saying on twitter and took a long break and made a genuine apology and proved he'd changed.

Joey Ryan got called out for sexual harassment and a year later he's trying to find someone else to throw under the bus and pretending he's reformed because he found Jesus and was off twitter for two months.

It's the same thing for wrestling fans ig, they just double down on everyone else being wrong instead of admitting they said awful stuff

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

TV Zombie posted:

Sonny was a replacement for Kenny. Did anyone hear think this would lead to more for Sonny?

https://twitter.com/theenemiespe3/status/1448990505388367873?s=21
It went to a really cool Lights Out match between Joey Janella (Who Sonny replacing) and Kenny Omega, which was the eventual setup to Kenny Omega and Jon Moxley having a more violent feud. They weaved that replacement into a story that had a payoff.

This isn't Karion Kross losing his first match to Jeff Hardy before becoming a dork that lead to literally nothing

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Jonny Nox posted:

The worst part of trying to own Dave is he does it to himself so often it seems easy.
He's an AI that reports on wrestling that still hasn't learned how to empathize with human emotions

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Who is Al Konuwa? I hadn’t heard of this guy until a few weeks ago and now he seems to be everywhere.
Trying to get in a little late to the party on saying bad things about AEW to grift WWE fans because WWE fans are the most oppressed fans in wrestling. Known for saying things like "Latinx wrestlers and Asians don't count as PoC in America because they have Lucha Libre and Puro" and generally talking about how AEW doesn't treat their black wrestlers as good as WWE because they put their secondary World Title on people like Kofi and Bianca while forgetting how badly they were actually booked as champion before losing them in seconds to white people.

While he might have some valid points on the visibility of black wrestlers it's mostly fake concern for clicks, even black wrestling twitter are calling him out now

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

In a weird roundabout way WWE banning twitch/third party cash followed immediately by Big Biceps Tony allowing Kip Sabian to plug his stream live on air probably did a lot for encouraging talent like Cole to make the jump
It's another chapter in the self-destruction of the WWE. Won't be the death, corporations and governments will still keep giving them money even if Vince is the only one still watching

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The Super Elite are unapologetic dorks that think they're cool even in BTE and even when Kenny was building up to the explosion death match with Mox, he was still a giant dork

But ig ignore where Moxley, Kingston, Archer, and Suzuki just beat the hell out of people for fun

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The worst thing about Dieno is that when he does other bits in his matches, it's clear that he can be a really funny dude with a great sense of comic timing
Dieno is also a really good mat wrestler and a genuinely funny guy who just leaned way too hard into his gay panic gimmick. I think his best work is as a host of DDT The Night, idk if America has many Japanese style comedians but it'd probably be closest to Penn Jillette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Hasn’t one of the Usos been racking up DUIs and getting put in the main event the week after
It was a common thing for tons of wrestlers down here in Florida because they treat a DUI like rolling past a stop sign