Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The WWE started quietly sending guys to rehab because their (former) wrestlers were dropping like flies. Not just guys from the eighties, but active wrestlers like Eddie Guerrero and Lance Cade. Them offering rehab was all about having fewer headlines about 'Former WWE wrestler X was found dead today...' and the fact that they mostly do it under the radar when they can is because the horse has already bolted on people associating being a WWE wrestler with dying young due to a combination of substance abuse and the physical toll of the WWE schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Benne posted:

This isn't a response to anything specific but we've seen a ton of takes in this thread about how AEW is signing too many people, they don't have enough spots, bloated roster, etc.

Well they have Mox and Omega out indefinitely right now, but the roster is so deep they can easily plug in super-talented guys to fill those spots and not miss a beat. Similar to how New Japan lost Nakamura/Styles in one day but already had the next wave ready to go. There's no such thing as a "full roster," especially in wrestling where careers are short and one injury or fed signing can completely derail plans. The smart promotions are constantly replenishing their bench and building up guys who can step up when needed.

In other words, AEW knows what they're doing.

It also means that there's room for Moxley to take a few months off to go to rehab, or for Adam Page to support his pregnant wife and newborn child. I can only imagine what the effect on the AEW roster as a whole would be in like a decade.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Lamuella posted:

There was at least one version of the Spider-Man cartoon where the cops couldn't have actual guns so they gave them lasers instead.

The nineties Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons both had lasers rather than realistic firearms, with one exception. There was an episode where Robbie Robinson's son got involved with a violent gang, and if I recall correctly he stole a realistic revolver from his dad's desk at some point in the episode. It was never fired, but I'm guessing they deliberately made it realistic to hammer home the 'Don't gently caress with firearms' part of the episode's lesson.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Drakkel posted:

Actually it's Very Good Wrestling when you have champions that come out every week and get pinned and humiliated by every challenger because the HEAT brother, the HEAT

I don't think there's a better example of that booking mentality than London and Kendrick's WWE Tag Team Title reign during 2006. It was literally the same pattern repeating over and over again. New challengers show up, beat them in singles matches a few times, beat them down in a few segments, then come PPV time they pull out the win and move on to the next time. Of course, that was also a time when the SmackDown tag team division was at an all time low, even for their standards, with teams being pulled up from OVW/DSW just to give the pair something to do. Half the time they didn't even make it onto the cross-brand PPVs.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Lid posted:

I forget if it was Triple H or more higher ups who argued against Kurt Angle being treated as legit because he was Too Short.

I recall a story about Triple H arguing against Angle's status in 2000 and Patterson basically telling him "Why don't you get in the ring with him then?"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Finding out recently that Bundy got let go during his 1980s run because he took on an advertising job for a computer company without getting Vince's blessing or giving Vince the cut he felt Bundy owed him was certainly something. Turns out he was always shaking down his talent, not just when they started making money on Twitch.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
There was some Australian house show for SmackDown in 2002 that got some sort of DVD release. I think it was called Global Warning Tour or something. It was a pretty short show, but interspersed with some very amusing bits inbetween like Kurt Angle, Christian and Lance Storm going to the zoo. It had Taz and Michael Cole on commentary, and very clearly Vince McMahon hadn't bothered to show up. Cole sounded infinitely more relaxed, and Taz had a bunch of the silly banter, like arguing with Cole about whether or not a camcorder counted as an appliance, that made him so entertaining on AEW Dark twenty years later.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm going to get myself a findom gimmick and talk about all of my paying dudes.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Not going to bother posting specific tweets (it's probably against thread rules anyway), but I had a few tweets regarding the WWE Pride Month photoshoot show up on my timeline, and besides the usual vile lashing out from bigots there was also one weirdo in the replies constantly posting the same images containing allegations regarding Triple H and Buddy Matthews having done stuff to Alexa Bliss. Out of sheer morbid curiosity I checked that poster's account and it's literally nothing but them tweeting that at anything wrestling related.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/SocietyMovies/status/1550585031789273091

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I caught the tail end of the YouTube première of the preview for the upcoming Dynamite, and noticed a familiar name in the chat when I scrolled down for another video to watch:

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

https://twitter.com/RyanWardOH/status/1590767529076879360

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Lid posted:

Loses to Finlay in a non-title match when Sabu interferes

I have literally no memory of this and this sounds like an EWR rogue save.

I think it was when they were building to the Rey/Sabu match at One Night Stand 2006, which was thrown out as a no contest after a WWE doctor swooped in to call off the match after they went through a table on the outside.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Someone focusing on what's really important in the replies to the AEW Jay Briscoe memorial tweet.

https://twitter.com/Nocrackeratall/status/1618424949366226946

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Coolness Averted posted:

definitely a way to respond to Dax ending his podcast because oafs are threatening his family and just being ridiculously tribal about their punchman animes

I know comment sections probably don't count for this thread, but I saw someone arguing that Dax catching so much heat was organised by The Young Bucks, just like they organised the harassment that drove Riho off social media so they could make Cornette and his fans look bad :shepicide:.

Skios fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 21, 2023

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
If I recall correctly, the original problem with Scotty 2 Hotty backing out basically boiled down to him agreeing to the match and a meet & greet with fans in the UK, finding out that Sterling is trans-femme, and then backing out after already having agreed to the match. Since then he has been making these weasily comments.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

keithy george posted:

Someone in the last few pages said "I don't know if comment sections are right for this thread" but I think they're the heart of this thread.

Yeah. That was me. I'll occasionally make the mistake of scrolling down on a 411mania newspost, and anything involving AEW, Dax, Mercedes Moné or Nick Gage just brings out the absolute worst in people. I'll give the mods credit that they stamp down hard on any racism/transphobia (news articles involving Nyla Rose used to be a shitshow), but there's still a lot of poo poo going around, like people actively claiming that the Bucks are behind both Riho and FTR getting harassed on social media to make Cornette look bad.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

This feels like a mild but very persistent strain of fed-brain that shows up in any AEW recap. "Let things breathe" is such an annoying way of saying "I don't want too much wrestling in my wrestling show, please recap everything three times."

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Couldn't sleep, put on the preshow for the ROH show tonight...

Unfortunately I missed the chance to screencap the one where they declared the Bloodline storyline as better than all of cinema and deserving an Emmy and an Oscar.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

Ah yes, WWE building new stars like Brian Pillman Jr. Lexis King Beeple.

I still read WWE recaps when it's slow at work. The fact that WWE, in all these years, just has not learned how to use old stars coming in for a one off besides having them beat up the talent they're actually trying to build up, with no hope of making anything out of it, is hilarious to me.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Bryan's first observation being that the guy's not in very good shape is so spot on for him. Just perfect character work.

Also, re: food YouTube, I have a group of people I get together with to watch movies on Saturday nights. The default intermission is hate-watching Barbecue Pit Boys. They're a bunch of crusty old men from Connecticut LARPing as southern good ol' boys, and everything about them is just terrible. From their strict adherence to the brand, always keeping their spice mixes and lovely pot metal knives with their names on them in perfect view, to a complete lack of understanding of the most basic food hygiene, to lovely ingredients and ideas mixed with completely useless tools. There's just absaolutely nothing redeeming about them, and they've managed to become millionaires off of it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Excuse me, you'll find that they are actually [bass-boosted reverb 10000%] GOOD

It's a running joke that that thumbs up they do at the end is just a signal to the stage hands holding buckets just off screen that they've managed to keep the food down for this take.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
It really can't be stressed enough how much the BBQ Pit Boys being millionaires is proof that if there ever was a loving God, He turned his back on us a long time ago. The lead pit boy looks like he's been dying slowly for about fifty years but still keeps going. They absolutely obliterate anything they try to cut with those ridiculous knives of theirs. They're Epic Meal Time without any self-awareness, humour, or basic culinary skill. Everything has to be dumb with those big loving knives, including stirring, flipping, spreading... and they're just as poo poo for that as for any kind of basic cooking. That's not to mention the stale baked goods involved in anything they do involving buns, or the fact that the meat they use is often halfway brown by the time they take it out of the package, or the fact that they stick their grubby, disgusting fingers in everything. I don't know what's more insulting. When they get decent ingredients that they completely annihilate with their gross incompetence, disgusting food hygiene and lovely knives, or if they use already poo poo ingredients and pass it off as some sort of renegade culinary wizards. And did I mention these guys are from loving Connecticut? They're loving larpers, growing their lovely parasite and lice ridden beards so they can pull in the Duck Dynasty crowd.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/WrestleBooksLSC/status/1777378857458487512

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

JethroMcB posted:

Blackpool Combat Club put the locker room on notice, we smokin' filtered crack, you stupid pieces of poo poo

I mean, one of the first things he talks about in his memoir is what the sensation of smoking crack is like.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The theme lists being purged was the worst. Thankfully Xylot Themes still exists, even if the person running it seems to have become a Twitter Reply Guy.

I still miss the old ROH forums and its meticulously maintained list of entrance themes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
This is the flag of the town I grew up in: