Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
8.1 developer preview is now live, my 920 just started updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

loquacius posted:

On the gears screen now; it has a progress bar which has not moved at all for at least twenty minutes. This one's gonna take a while.

fake-edit: literally while i was typing this it filled up all the way in about five seconds :wtc:
All WP8 updates seemed to be like that, makes you wonder why they bothered with progress bar at all. Now I'm on second, actual 8.1 update and it's gears time again.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Drastic Actions posted:

The custom lock screens, like the ones they showed off at Build. I don't see it there either.
I think what they showed was an app, which hasn't been released yet. Though when I looked at APIs I didn't really see anything new related to lockscreen so who knows.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
If Xylo or any of you other MS guys haven't already heard about this, there's interesting bug that happens when you copy n' paste stuff from WP7 Silverlight app to WP81 universal app.

Write some text in any textfield in 7.x Silverlight app, in this case I used old IMDB app. Select and copy it.

Hop over to new 8.1 universal app, here it's new Calendar app (moonspeak edition), paste selection and watch how random crap gets appended to text.

I can reproduce it with just about any WP7.x/WP81 universal app combo, first ran into when using Drastic Action's forum reader and 7Pass.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Naffer posted:

http://www.wpcentral.com/bing-vision-lost-all-features-qr-scanning
Seriously, Microsoft needs to stop removing features with updates. I'm still smarting over the gutting of Maps from WP7 to WP8.
Personally I don't give a gently caress, it never worked outside US anyway.

Not that I give a gently caress about WP anymore either, despite working for Microsoft Partner and all that jazz. Can't wait until Apple releases non-tiny iPhone with 5" something display, WP's US marketshare is pitiful but almost all flagship features are US only. And with iOS you actually at least get apps, if Apple isn't willing to localize something.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

OldPueblo posted:

That is alarming, I think I'll go back in time a year and warn myself! I don't know, is it still an issue?
It affects all phones and PCs everywhere, if you do domain auth over WLAN without WPA2-EAP and certificates your company deserves to get hacked.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Alternative pants posted:

Anyone know why the "testing" for the 1020 update is taking so long?
Because 8.1 Cyan is buggy as hell. On some devices with Cyan some process bugs out and CPU gets stuck on a loop, battery consumption is higher than what some chargers can supply. And device basically cooks itself to death.

Remember Nokia Drive+ back in the 8.0 release days? Same stuff, but it's in firmware so you can't even fix it.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Our biggest problem has been the phones have hard locked on us multiple times now. Her 1020 and my 920.

Mine hard locked with a scrambled screen. I've also had problems with the system just not responding at all, then about 30-60 seconds later everything I've tried pressing all happens in about ten seconds.
Are you using custom lockscreen beta app? It can mess up your phone pretty bad to the point where only way to get it back to operational is to remove battery or in case of 920 etc let battery run out completely.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Nah, at least in this case you could not. The settings let you change the tint, but here it was correct at full brightness and purple at low brightness. So with adjustment you get something that is just slightly wrong at both ends of the brightness spectrum (slightly green at high and slightly purple at low). Clearly not acceptable at any rate.
My Lumia 930 received 8.1.1 update today along with some Nokia firmware update. Purple tint is now gone at least when I set display brightness to low manually, but I haven't tested it in complete darkness with autobrightness yet.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

RiftInducer posted:

After using both the inbuilt Maps and Here Transit, I much prefer the dedicated Nokia app. I just wish it had Cortana integration.
Probably won't ever happen, most of Here teams are outside US and nobody here in Europe even knows Cortana exists. Also rumour is that Nokia is practically shutting down development of Here apps for WP unless Microsoft pays for it.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
It looks like 3d touch thing not working out messed up Nokia's whole upcoming product portfolio and all 9xx series flagship designs had to be started from scratch. It was leaked all over that they were supposed to have new global flagship for 8.1 summer launch (instead we got 930 which is just Icon with different chipset variant) and some bastardized version of that for US operators as well bit later on.

I'd imagine product pipeline reset probably delayed everything at least 6 months because that's lead time for many of high end components that are in short supply, so maybe we'll get something announced at CES 2015.

And I wouldn't worry about current phones not being upgradeable to Win10 that much, since WP 8.x internals are already quite close to Win8. There's probably more work on desktop Windows side making it more modular and getting rid all remains of desktop and all that other cruft that is not required in phones/tablets so they can really share same codebase instead of just component here and component there.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Murkyhumor posted:

I got a "critical update" from developer preview on my 920, and now my power and camera buttons do not work, though volume works fine. My google fu turns up nothing, and I did a factory reset of my phone and they still aren't functioning. Any ideas?
Since you already did factory reset, you might just as well could try using Nokia recovery tool to restore back to non-dp version.

http://download.fds-ncom.nokia.com/supportFiles/phones/files/recovery/NokiaSoftwareRecoveryToolInstaller.exe

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Factor Mystic posted:

The main focus of this v1 release is streaming your own music from your own OneDrive account. Put your mp3's in a root folder (name it something with the word "music") in your OneDrive account, and this app will present them and stream them. This is ideal for people with very large music collections, or when you have more music than fits on your tiny 8GB phone.
Can you make the music folder location customizable?

Skydrive folders names are always localized (e.g. "Documents" -> "Asiakirjat"), so on Finnish language settings that leaked music locker feature creates you folder named "Musiikki". And since everything else is in Finnish already, I'd rather keep it that way so it's less distracting and to make it compatible whenever they launch that music locker thing.

http://www.windowscentral.com/new-details-about-microsoft-xbox-music-locker

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Let's say that ex-Nokians thought they had seen everything already, I mean infighting and political battles between divisions can't get worse than at what it was like at Nokia pre-Elop?

Oh boy did moving to Microsoft surprise them.

I'd be really surprised if there is anything left of Microsoft in mobile space after couple of years.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

xylo posted:

I'm hoping things get better with Win10 seeing how well OSG working out.
Q3 2015 is too late. Nobody supports WP anymore even in Finland unless MS-Nokia pours money into development and that's country where WP had 30% market share. Businesses still keep on buying Lumias but if iPhone does everything better and integrates better to MS products than your own OS, how hosed up is that?

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

BabyMauler posted:

So I really hope Windows Phone 10, or whatever they call it keeps what I like and the unified Windows/Xbox stores attract developers. If anything for just the numbers of eyes that look at Windows and in the future Xbox every drat day.
Too late, I'm afraid - what drove Windows Phone sales in my corner of Europe was enterprise market and those people do not really buy apps and certainly don't care for Snapchat etc which are essential for under 30s. Now that iOS has Office and it's something that's superior to Windows Phone offering, it killed higher end enterprise too. For enterprises where costs are issue, Windows Phone are still seeing some traction but Android is eating that too. When Office for Android is released, it's game over there too.

Xbox One won't attract any developers as PS4 has huge lead in Europe due to staggered release of Xbox that gave Sony year-long head start. They don't even mention apps in Xbox marketing at all anymore.

Combined with Nokia loving up their flagship product pipeline, Windows Phone is effectively dead in North Europe and only thing that even get to operators sales charts are Lumia 5xx and 6xx. I feel really bad for all my former Nokia colleagues, but I expect MS will shut down ex-Nokia division during next two years. Then again, they've seen it coming for a while now and as it is Nokia is losing talent fast.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Somehow the 920 I moved to from my previous 920 is now also stuck in headphone mode. Any ideas?
I had this issue couple of times with my old 920. Some cables have plugs are slightly longer or wider and bend pins inside and they get stuck against some switch or sensor. I used small screwdriver to poke the pins carefully and it fixed it.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Rooms was really awesome feature if you had family and small kids, even without messaging (which we never used anyway) this tile would show up if there were any new appointments on shared calendar and so on.

We wouldn't even need messaging because my wife would just add something to calendar and I'd check rooms and at one glance see everything, like "ok kid's got dental checkup at Tuesday 10am". Seriously gently caress you Microsoft, might as well get iPhone 6s or whatever next time. All good features are going and all we have is shittier and slower versi..

Resuming...

I can understand that on 520 or whatever piece of poo poo phone but the gently caress I'm even seeing this on 2GB quad core 930

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Not xylo, but I thought they said that Cortana will be available on all phones in W10 phone AND on in W10 PC. I could be wrong though and it could be wishful thinking, considering this IS Microsoft we're talking about...
Won't ever happen.

Even Bing is still missing 90% of its features outside US and they don't really care . Google got 90% search market share in EU for a good reason.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

nielsm posted:

What are the actual hardware requirements for Glance? A specific sensor? Or is it just artificial market segmentation?
I forgot to check for that before getting my 735, but it's one one thing I'm missing from 620.
IIRC it requires display panel with its own display memory buffer so that SoC can shut down completely while glance is still displaying.

I think main reason why 930 didn't have glance was that sourcing FullHD AMOLED panel with internal buffer would've been either too hard or too expensive, as that tech isn't yet used that much in Android world. From what I heard it was cause of intense debate internally too but tradeoffs had to be made.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Chasiubao posted:

Man Finland must be piiiiiisssed.
All those people working directly with hardware will have no problem getting hired. Last time they announced closure of the site, Apple, Samsung, etc had recruitment events set up in no time. Samsung has been stealing Nokia designs for like years, so they just as well might hire people who originally came up with all the good ideas.

All that middle management though? They're hosed.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
I saw some Lumia 435's on sale for 40€ unlocked contract free and got one for testing/spare phone, especially with taxes and poo poo even dumb phones cost about same here. Then I went and dropped latest W10 tech preview on it.

It probably helps a lot that 435 has 1GB memory, still the camera is utter poo poo as is the display but apart from that it runs this new build of Win10 really well, and certainly destroys any Android on same price category. Compared to how bad previous builds were on my 930, it's almost ready to be daily driver.

Also I think secret trick to getting Win10 tech previews to run well is do factory reset on phone after each new build. Even with whole "wait 10 minutes after install" there seems to be something still wrong with how 8.1 settings and apps are imported.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Venusy posted:

IIRC, if you connect your phone to the computer, the living images are stored as .THM files. Rename them to .MP4 to play them on your computer.
Windows 10 photos app was also updated to support them while ago.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Colourful phones are somewhat inventory management nightmare, you never know which one of colors will sell and many operators might not want to stock them. Especially since there's no guarantee that Lumias will sell at all anymore, so having just black & white is safer.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
I've been running latest build on my daily driver 930 and apart from some battery life issues it's usable.

Battery life issues seem to relate with background tasks, but if you disable background jobs for Store and Edge battery life is reasonable, bit not quite as good as with 8.1.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Tivac posted:

Hamburger in the top-left is the actual worst possible place for any control. Ugh. Even on my now-relatively-small 925 it's too far for my gorilla hand to comfortably reach.
Readit app has it in lower left corner which makes much more sense and I wish all MS native apps with hamburger would switch to that for mobile versions.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
We've got iPad and Nexus 7 at home and iOS is in many ways step backwards in usability and I'm not too fond of Android either as it's such clusterfuck technically and apps are often just buggy garbage. But after running Windows 10 for a couple of months now as daily driver, they've gutted all the features I really liked in WP and now that WM10 is in RTM there's no hope of them coming back.

950 would have to have its price reduced to half to get me even remotely interested, as great camera is only think I like in Lumias anymore. When my 930 dies I know I'll most likely get iPhone 6s+, I'm done with this poo poo. All MS apps I use are better on iOS anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
News are in Finland that Lumias are dead, MS is shutting down phone division and laying off everyone from ex-Nokia except skeleton crew that can handle warranty cases are long as they have to.