Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
All family phones are developer preview initiated, commence to start 8.1. :woop:

On a side note I am fairly pleased with myself. I've successfully modded a wireless charging coil into my thin TPU case for my 1020. When I do my wife's 1020 I'll document it for the benefit of mankind. No reason it won't work for a 925 either. I hated that in order to have wireless charging I had to forego a protective case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Yeah I get wanting choice, but that seems like one of the least likely things people would want to toggle regularly on a smartphone.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

The only box I have checked on this setting card is the keep Wifi on when the screen times out. I still auto connect to the ones I've manually connected to fine. The automatically join AT&T hotspot one annoyed me a lot because as said above it would connect but then I'd have to sign into a webpage (without being aware I had done so). The second checkbox takes care of that.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

As promised. How to add wireless charging to probably any TPU case. I did this twice, worked the first time on both devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baSlO-_bqpk

I am a lazy video maker so I apologize for its awfulness. I basically guessed at the whole thing.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 9, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

If you barely signed up it's a placeholder kind of thing to prep for the real update. Let it sit awhile. Your OS will likely end in .155 when it's done.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Martytoof posted:

My iPhone is giving me some trouble and since I switched to all Windows for now I figured I'd give WinPhone a try. Should I basically be waiting for new hardware at this point? I haven't really kept up with WinPhone or Nokia at ALL so I don't know if we're on the verge of new shiny things to buy.

Rather than drop some cash on a high end device, if you want to just try it out pick up a 520/521 for peanuts and dip your toe in the water. It gives you the full software/UI experience, you're only missing "some" performance benefits and hardware features (camera/NFC/hires/etc). If you decide you like it then it will tide you over till the device you want becomes available. Personally I think the 920/925/928/1020 are still great devices for what should be a decent lower price now. Don't burn any upgrades, get them second hand if you want something better than a 520/521. There is good new hardware, but some of them dropped some cool things or aren't available on all carriers. I'm personally waiting for what comes after the 930 which was JUST announced. My 1020 is doing just fine.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bollocks, I meant the 14th! If it's not here by Tuesday, it will not be delivered in the first half of April as foretold in the BUILD scriptures. So there will be a great earthquake and the sun will become as black as sack cloth, and the moon will become as blood, and the seas will boil and the skies fall.

Yeah, I'll go get a life now. But I will be disappointed. My HTC 8X has started playing up this past week, saying it's got no SIM card when it clearly has. I'm hoping it's just a stupid temporary software glitch that's appeared - a power cycle picks it up again. But it's recurrent.

Today's the day. :toot:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/buildingapps/archive/tags/phone/

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

My favorite Cortana question is "guess what". Take that stuffy hipster types.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

redbackground posted:

Being able to swipe text (and having it work really, really well!) is already worth the update. Cortana just brings up Bing results most of the time, and often includes her name in the search (I don't recall ever having Siri search for "siri" if her name was included in the query), but it is only beta, so whatever. I would like to know who the dumb dummy is that chose to add game titles to the app list. That's what the game hub is for! :mad:

I have enjoyed searching for That Perfect Start Background to live behind the tiles. Low contrast, easy breezy color washes have worked GREAT. These are my two favorites so far.

What I would love is more apps offering the choice between a filled-in colored tile, or a transparent option.

If you ask her about Clippy, and then ask another question after that, the circle will become an animated Clippy icon for a bit.

Out of curiosity, are you saying "Cortana" when you initiate a voice search? I think more apps will include the tile options, the WPCentral app actually lets you choose which tile type. I think many just didn't think about it.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

All my apps reinstalled for some reason. I don't think any data was retained since I had to re-login to them. BUT my friend with an HTC 8x didn't have any reinstall. Soooo roll the bones.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Partycat posted:

it didnt seem to eraase anything but it did reinstall apps. i reset my phone and that lost contacts and a bunch of poo poo. it came up and asked me if i wanted to restore by entering a code to my email. i picked later, now i cant find thata again. having two gmail accounts seems to be what was causing it to crash ande screw up, unfortunately.

If you say later I could've sworn there's a way to do it, but I don't recall how. Maybe when you sign into the store for the first time?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

MyFaceBeHi posted:

What this guy said. I'm in the UK so I don't get all the cool Cortana features. I did briefly change my location/language settings the other day though just to try it out but I think I'll wait the however many months it will be until it comes over here.

Also, the apps that updated themselves show up in my action centre just fine. I don't think I told it to say anything in the action centre but that seemed to be the default for me.

Yeah it will let you know that some apps updated, and you can go look at app history (or click the notification) to see what updated. I think there might be some lag time though, the last time I saw the notification they had been updated an hour ago. Side note, it telling you when exactly they updated is pretty nice.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone know what date format's the email app is supposed to recognise? Because that feature doesn't work for me, and I can't do one click add to calendar. Is there perhaps some setting I have to enable?

My settings are in UK English and in the UK if it matters.

I could be wrong but I think that's a cortana thing. So being in the UK is probably why.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

So I factory reset my phone, which seemed to fix it. Restored the backup, and then the phone offered an update. :shrug:

Now that the start screen is restored as well as app data, is there any reason anymore to cringe when you need to do a hard reset? All I can think of is re-downloading your Xbox music, but creating a playlist ahead of time with all the music saved would probably make that easy as well?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Just to be clear- is this an upcoming diagnostic app that you're referring to or something else?

Maybe he means this.

http://www.wpcentral.com/help-make-windows-phone-better-official-diagnostics-app

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

I typically put a thin TPU case on my Lumia phones, not so much for protection but to keep them pristine for when I flip them on craigslist for a new phone. Times 10 various family members.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Oh, gently caress. I was using an iOS "hold to select" highlight when all you do is tap on a word. My bad.

Hooray I love WinPhone again!

Just as a PSA, hold and drag no longer works also. The new way is mostly better for me.

http://www.wpcentral.com/new-word-flow-keyboard-caret-windows-phone-81

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 30, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Surprisingly there was a recent article about that as well. It looks like MS wants you to be able to talk about dicks and such, they're just erring on the side of caution initially.

http://www.wpcentral.com/how-swear-using-word-flow-keyboard-windows-phone-81 (fixed)

Tl;dr if you correct your naughty words, and send the texts, eventually it will stop correcting them.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 30, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Enjoy your wait, there's only one thing keeping Google from supporting WP... it's Google. No change at MS will likely affect this.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

On a sidenote have you guys with 8.1 used the tab syncing feature of IE? It's actually very handy but in true MS fashion it wasn't readily obvious how to do it.

On the phone

Open IE
Click tab button
Now swipe sideways to see a list of all devices with all open tabs showing in real-time

On the PC/tablet

Click the button in IE for a new clean tab
Look right under the squares/tiles, you'll see drop down boxes for all your different devices including phone

In terms of favorites, under the desktop/tablet look under favorites and you'll see a folder called phone. On the phone click favorites and then the folder button down at the bottom to see your desktop/tablet favorites.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with that Scroogle poo poo and the Android license fees. Former has been done with, and hopefully latter will be, too (I think the fees have been reduced already?).

Google has been pretty open about why they aren't supporting WP8. This was before Scroogled even. And the licensing fees they pay because they want access to the patents, that's kind of an industry standard thing. Exhibit B, everyone that made an app for the Xbone managed to utilize the existing APIs and stuff to properly use voice/UI control. But not Google, they wanted to do it their way so that the Youtube app matches all their other TV device apps. Who cares about the inconvenience to Xbone owners, we're Google! I don't hate Google, but they are not the victim here. There is a long Internet trail that covers their thoughts/dealings with Windows Phone going back years.

That being said, it looks like they are now learning to play nice.

http://googledevelopers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/ga-release-for-google-apis-client.html?m=1

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 2, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

I keep forgetting to ask this. Xylo or whoever is at MS in this thread, please have Outlook on the phone mimic Outlook on the desktop in terms of reminders. I love on the desktop when I get the 30 minute reminder and I can choose the snooze option "Remind me 5 minutes before". On the phone, I have to snooze three times basically. 10 more minutes, 10 more minutes, then 5. Yes I have been late to several meetings because I'm juggling a bunch of stuff and I need a RIGHT BEFORE reminder. Or at least add a 15 minutes or a 30 minutes option. It goes 5, 10, then 60+.

Also where on the phone can we set default calendar reminders again, I could've sworn I set that before. My default is typically 30 minutes since I'm very mobile and usually need to budget in drive time. I just made a new appointment and it defaulted to 4 hours. These are serious world issues here folks.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any ideas when HTC might push their own bits onto WP 8.1? My battery life has taken an absolute battering since I installed 8.1. Sitting on standby is the same, but any time I use it, the charge falls like a rock.

Check the battery sense app to see what's draining it all. That's also where you can tell poo poo to stop running in the background if you don't want it to. Yes, you have to tell each app individually to do this as far as I can tell. :( Oddly enough IE seems to be my biggest battery drain and I don't think I use it often enough for it to be. I do use it a throughout the day though, and now I've told it to not run in the background in case some website is running code or something actively. My battery life has now stabilized days later.

Jewmanji posted:

I just checked this, and the two devices (phone and computer) don't seem to be talking often- my computer is showing me tabs from 2 days ago. Why is that?

I don't honestly know the mechanics of it, mine seem to be only a few minutes apart usually.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Rent posted:

Tempted to go back to Windows Phone 8. Podcast app is horrible, doesn't keep place, doesn't DL episodes anymore automatically. Xbox Music works.... 30% of the time? 100% of my music is cloud based. I get "No network detected" or "you don't own rights to this song" most the time. I'm in the car 12 hours a week for work, so I need my music and podcasts :(

Also I wish they'd fix the 1520 screen FREAKING out when you unlock it and typing 100 characters with 1 button press, or not being able to slide the loving unlock screen up until you hit the lock button again. If these bugs were once in a blue moon, fine, but when it's 10 times a day? Really frustrating

:ssj:

You might consider a hard reset since just about everything is backed up these days (except app data unless the app supports it). Even your start screen gets restored, might be worth a shot. I recall the same issues with the podcast app but for some reason it started working fine later. I don't recall doing anything to fix it. In terms of Xbox music, make sure you aren't at your four device limit. It doesn't necessarily tell you this, it just gives you download issues.

On another note, I wonder how/if restore works if you revert to WP8. It might say something like "Nope your backup was made in a newer version of WP, you are screwed".

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I just checked this, and the two devices (phone and computer) don't seem to be talking often- my computer is showing me tabs from 2 days ago. Why is that?

I just stumbled across a blog post about IE11 on the phone, and saw this regarding tab syncing:

quote:

Heads up: if you are concerned about data use, we’ve got your back. Just enter your data limit in the DataSense app, and we’ll be smart about when to sync this data to help avoid data overage charges

So that could be why.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/05/07/what-s-new-in-internet-explorer-11-for-windows-phone.aspx

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

My bluetooth got a little flaky with 8.1 and is working better in the car again (unscientific observance). Small things like not resuming when it should have, not connecting, etc.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

^^^^ I'd do everything I can to get an x86 tablet, just to be sure you don't miss some functionality later on. For example my sister in law was perfectly happy with a Surface RT. She sold her laptop and was loving life. Then she bought a fitbit and now she can't sync it. :downs: Your future needs may change, x86 is safest and you don't give up anything. Unless you really really want a form factor that comes only in RT. Just be sure to get a baytrail at least.

EdEddnEddy posted:

When in the world did they change the text input cursor from showing up above your finger to easily place it (ala WP7+) to the new lovely method of right below where you can't see under your finger (ala poo poo Android)?

Why in the hell would they go to a inferior method since it makes you have to tap around until you actually get to the space you were shooting for, vs the old method that had it easily snap to text, and being above your finger you could actually see wtf you cursor is doing.

WTF is with this regressing tech BS that keeps happening to this fine OS. Dammit! :psyduck:

I was initially unhappy about this as well, but I've come to think it's actually better. Before you had to tap and hold and wait for it to appear, then you'd drag it to where you like. Except for me at least it would shift a little every time I lifted my finger. So in theory it was great, not so much in practice since I had to reposition it regularly. Always with another tap/hold/wait. And some texts boxes in websites would move the page around while you were dragging your finger, making it very difficult to edit your text (posting for example). Now here's how it works:

*Tap once on a word to select it.
*Tap a second time and the cursor will appear at the beginning or end of a word depending on which side of the word you tapped.
*Now drag to final destination sideways.

This to me seems much faster overall, and more reliable. For example to corect <- that I'd doubletap the word then drag to where I'd place the second r. If you want to position in blank spaces you can still do that of course just by tapping, but it will hug the word closest to it (which I like). Once the logic/mechanic of it is explained people seem to agree it's better. Of course discovering the logic is half the battle.

This is also something I use all the time, I'm not sure if it's new in 8.1 or not. Tap a word then keep hitting the shift key. It will cycle between capitalizing the first letter, going all caps, or dropping all to lowercase. I use that almost every time I text.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 16, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

You can always turn on double-tap to wake in the meantime.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Xylo, can you tell me the most effective place to lodge my bug report? As detailed a few pages back, the mic on my phone seems to not work during phone calls (both regular 4G on AT&T and Skype). Voice recognition still works seamlessly, but there doesn't seem to be a way for anyone to hear me. I'm left with a broken phone, and it doesn't seem like there's any clarity about whether rolling back to 8.0 is risk-free?

If you have a Nokia device you should be able to use their recovery tool to reimage the latest official release which is 8.0 of course. This means a full wipe naturally, and I don't know if anyone has ever restored from an 8.1 backup to 8.0, so there could be some caveats to that as well. You sure you just didn't have a physical issue that coincided with 8.1? Like sticking the SIM tool into the mic hole instead of the SIM tray hole or something?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows Phone 8.1 has an app called Battery Saver and it shows you what's using the battery. Is upgrading to that an option?

It might not be, I recalled seeing this earlier (depends on which ativ I guess):

http://www.wpcentral.com/psa-dont-install-windows-phone-81-samsung-ativ-se

I second the battery going bad thought though, batteries that are winding their lives down seem to have a hard time remembering how much charge they have left.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Gourd of Taste posted:

I kind of wish the Lumia 925 didn't require a case to wirelessly charge

Yep, and I have a feeling the 920/925/1020 are the last batch of phones on AT&T to use QI charging. This means my next upgrade for everyone in my family is going to be tricky since my house has roughly 6 QI chargers including my car mount. If you want wireless charging on the 925/1020, sans the shells which give almost no protection, consider doing this with whatever case you choose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baSlO-_bqpk

The 930 has built-in QI charging, but you know AT&T will strip it out, plus it loses glance. :mad: On a side note, I had two 920's break and the MS store where I had insurance offered either 1020s or 1520s as replacements since they didn't carry 920s anymore.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 30, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

820 also has a front camera for Skype and other stuff, whereas the 520 does not. I think they're just hard to come by since the 520 dominates the low end.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

jeeves posted:

I bought a used 820 for my fiance, and she seems to really like it except for the battery draining within a few hours.

I'm hoping it is just because it is a used phone that the battery is bad, so I spent 18$ on a new 2500m battery online for it. But in seeing the above posts I am a little worried about it just being a Windows 8.1 battery issue.

Check the battery saver app to see what's using the battery the most.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Devo posted:

I'm getting a weird bug with group messaging. My dad has been trying to send everyone updates about my grandpa in the hospital. Everyone else included in the message is getting it just fine. I've gotten group messages before from different sources so I don't think that's the problem.

He's got a Moto something or other on Verizon
I've got a Lumia 920 on AT&T

Anyone know of a fix for this? Kind of annoying to have to text my wife after each group message with "what did my dad just send?"

If you can group text with others fine, my guess is that his phone/Verizon is screwing something up. Not necessarily related but Verizon couldn't get group messaging working on their windows phones for like a year or something when they first came out with the HTC Trophy. Maybe they just do it in some funky way.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Devo posted:

Yeah I checked my group messaging setting just in case; it's all good. My wife is on the same AT&T plan as me with her iPhone and she's getting the messages just fine. So I'm not sure if it's Verizon fuckery or if something in his Android settings isn't playing nice with WP or what.

If you aren't getting them at all, maybe he's got the wrong phone number for you on your contact card?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

New Xbox Music app out, speak of the devil.

•It's now a bit faster to resume and browse the app.
•If we can't play a song, we now offer a more useful error message.
•We handle connectivity states better.
•Bug fixed where album art doesn't show up for playlist songs that are not in your collection.
•Stability improvements when scrolling lists and launching the app from Cortana.
•Content begins syncing in the background following app updates.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

wormil posted:

My Windows phone should be here this week. I'm getting the gist that I should not upgrade to 8.1?

Myself and the 10 or so others I've upgraded have been fine, I guess sometimes it just might get finicky for some people. If your phone is a Nokia you can always flash it back to 8 with their handy tool.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I am on 8.0 and the media player refuses to remember where I left off in podcasts.

I am consistently having Bluetooth error now. If I receive a text while streaming music via Bluetooth there's a 50/50 shot it will hard lock the phone.

This is just so frustrating.

I had this issue too, and I think the answer was allowing the podcast app to stay running in the background. That or it magically fixed itself for me. And by fix itself I mean it still forgets sometimes, but most of the time remembers. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

My suspicion is that how hosed the Xbox Music app is depends on how much music you have and if you browse by album/genre/playlist or just mash shuffle all. It's never hung or crashed for me, but I have 40 songs at most and don't listen to much anyway when I do. Cold comfort to those with extensive music collections though. :(

The only third party apps that I've found that do music well are Nokia MixRadio (free but only for Nokia phones) and OneMusic, which is $2 but has a trial.

Cortana now imports stuff from the sports, finance, news, etc. bing apps. Not sure I'm a fan of the horizontal separators.

The Xbox Music app also generally works fine for me, but I also usually just hit random 90% of the time so that's probably why.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Captain Capacitor posted:

Just curious, but for those who are having trouble with the music app, how big of a library are you loading onto there?

Only maybe 100 right now, I'll add a bunch more and see if it shits the bed more often. Scaling/resume issue makes sense when you look at the randomness of all these issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

G-III posted:

As I previously reported, none of my searches in the xbox music store were working via the phone yet the same searches would work on the xbox music website and windows 8 app. I've been a long time zune / xbox music subscriber which got me grandfathered into the 10 credits per month, however the only place where you can still spend song credits is ONLY through the phone interface. Therefore not being able to search and purchase music from the phone basically renders my xbox music subscription completely worthless. No matter what search you put it, the store search in the xbox music app will come back as "no results."

Turns out, in order to even SEARCH for music in the xbox music app, you need have location services enabled for the app and then sync your microsoft account. I poo poo you not, the app won't even let you look up songs in their store unless they know your gps location. Utter loving bullshit.

Meanwhile, I'm definitely dropping this poo poo in November and canceling my xbox music subscription as Windows Phone has turned into a colossal goddamn joke. No consumer should ever have to go through this crap simply to play music on their phones.

This may not be helpful in your case but it reminds me of a dumb thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned, that might help others. When you search for music it searches locally first/only. You have to tap right below the search window "Search more in Store" to toggle searching the store. You cant change this default behavior that I'm aware, and its dumb.