Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Holy crap. The display on the 1520 is amazing now. They finally took advantage of the huge screen space and stopped stretching the text across it.

Edit: ^^^ hey, as long as they're thorough. Wasn't it the ios6 update that was tricking some phones and then went down? I'll take a five minute longer wait over a super asspain.

MobMentality fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
I think I'm the guy WP is designed for. Completely ADHD about how I use my phone. I've got the HTC M8 and, though initially hesitant about moving from the Lumia line (with a brief period of using a Galaxy), I'm loving it. Then again, I only make brief acquaintance with any of my apps. I can see how anyone wanting more intimate function out of their apps could be extremely frustrated.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Wheezle posted:

Windows Phone - Microsoft probably hosed that one up

Wouldn't it be great if a member of their design team was a member of the forums and could see this instead of the fan boy bullshit over at Windows Central?

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Zarfol posted:

Take it to the local Microsoft store and tell them it doesn't work or turn on?

I've replaced the screen in a few of the Lumias and they do have a water damage marker inside so....heads up

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Somehow the 920 I moved to from my previous 920 is now also stuck in headphone mode. Any ideas?

Quit jamming things that aren't headphones in there.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
What happens when they get to 990 or 1090? They're hosed!

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Chase, huh? Mother fuckers.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm curious as to what possessed Microsoft to release "gold edition" of the Lumia 930 this late.

Really?

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
The clowns at WC predict an early summer flagship. Oh boy!

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Get that poo poo up in your face. Get that poo poo inside your face.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Seems faster.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Factor Mystic posted:

Meh. Doesn't seem like a good basis of competition. The newer iPhones already have good enough cameras to dominate flickr's top camera lists, so what segment of the market are you actually chasing? You might win over a few photo gurus but you're not going to win over fashion oriented users who want a good-enough camera. Plus, as I have previously posted itc, Microsoft appear uninterested in competing on quality and seems to prioritize competing on price. Cheap Windows Phones won't be able to win over anyone who prioritizes photography or fashion (aka, the majority of iPhone users).

Being the "web service integrated" and "social media integrated" phone was a great angle. Of course since it was great, many of those features have now been removed from the platform.

Because Apple has a reputation for quality.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
WC is reporting the W10 preview should be available on the HTC M8. That's a relief. Except they're also reporting a list of current bugs to include glutinous battery consumption.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Going to wait to see how many people are bitching about bugs before I go in for it.

Edit: We must be getting real close. There's a flurry of end of day articles being posted.

MobMentality fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 10, 2015

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Just ordered my Band online. Feeding the gullet of a dying creature. If only the whole program was run less like a soccer mom going through menopause. *PINTEREST EVERYTHING*

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
http://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-making-custom-rom-allows-android-smartphones-run-windows-10-phones

This is hilarious. Google takes your services, Microsoft takes your phone.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Vintimus Prime posted:

This could be a huge move. Even on select manufacturers/models, essentially turns the mobile space into the desktop pc landscape. Buy the hw you want and load Windows on it. Very interesting Microsoft.

If you can't generate partners then manufacture them.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Microsoft's R&D team is currently building a time machine to travel back to 2010 and learn the secrets of true multitasking.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
You guys, this Band is tits.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

RVProfootballer posted:

Windows Phone: it was never intended for neurotypicals

I'm pretty typical. I care about good battery, pretty screens, rich colors, responsive UI, and a dope camera. If they can fake any of those with software or do it with hardware I really don't care.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
So if I had to move to an OS to wait out the fuckery of W10s release would it be easiest to go to ios or Android from Windows?

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Microsoft hit with patent infringement. Can't catch a drat break. "Gentlemen, it's been an honor playing with you tonight."

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Uthor posted:

It's kinda this one. They're writing tools that let you make Android and Windows apps at basically the same time with (theoretically) minimal extra work. The idea is that Android developers will use the tool and be able to quickly spit out a Windows version when they're done.

Here comes snapchat

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Couldn't they just scrap the unique build, customize Android like every other OEM out there, and produce phones? At least they could take a cut of the market that way. It'd be better than this constant reinvention of the same poo poo. It's not the victory they're looking for but drat some of their gimmicks are cool and I'd hate to lose that innovation over a failed OS.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Yeah preview is a bit dog poo poo on the M8 at the moment. Understanding it's a preview.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Windows Phone: Crapping up and locking out

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
That's nice.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Factor Mystic posted:

Best one yet!

Windows Phone - I've given up and am pretty angry about it.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
I've been loving around with 10136 for the last few hours on my phone (only phone, gangster) the HTC M8. Compared to the previous build it is actually pretty awesome. There are a few minor bugs I've run in to so far but no show stoppers. They keyboard has gotten trickier to use and sometimes SMS/MMS don't initially appear when you send a message. Autocorrect is a bit of a bitch, too. You can't deselect the correction by tapping the line you're typing on at least not 100% of the time. It annoyingly doesn't update your start screen calendar or email apps with the Outlook versions which are now the only versions. Also, if you upgrade with folders on the desktop, they disappear - until you try and add new folders and then they suddenly reappear when you're stacking apps. That was pretty annoying. As of about 5 min ago my phone just notified me there was ANOTHER update available. It's doing its thing right now and I'll report back.

tl;dr: Though some annoying bugs persist it is a majorly improved experience. I'm actually having no anxiety about taking this build out into the world as my daily driver.

Edit: I'm not sure what the second update did. Everything on the screen seems slightly larger and the whole experience is a bit slower and more deliberate. Not sure how to define that.

MobMentality fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 17, 2015

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
I bought a Samsung S6 Active on Friday. Later, nerds!

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Posting from my shower on the S6 Active. Hope MS can at least catch up with the gimmicky features that find their way into being major selling points for people.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Edge is a still a POS on the 1520. And notebook. And PC. I'm actually using Firefox for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
It consistently freezes or refuses to close on every device I own.