Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Being able to swipe text (and having it work really, really well!) is already worth the update. Cortana just brings up Bing results most of the time, and often includes her name in the search (I don't recall ever having Siri search for "siri" if her name was included in the query), but it is only beta, so whatever. I would like to know who the dumb dummy is that chose to add game titles to the app list. That's what the game hub is for! :mad:

I have enjoyed searching for That Perfect Start Background to live behind the tiles. Low contrast, easy breezy color washes have worked GREAT. These are my two favorites so far.

What I would love is more apps offering the choice between a filled-in colored tile, or a transparent option.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Edit: Still can't rename Cortana to Clippy though ??
If you ask her about Clippy, and then ask another question after that, the circle will become an animated Clippy icon for a bit.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

OldPueblo posted:

Out of curiosity, are you saying "Cortana" when you initiate a voice search?
When I was trying it out early on, I would throw in the occasional, "Cortana, [whatever stupid question]?" and more often than not her name was included in the Bing results list. I realize there is no reason to include the name, but it's all about the personal connection, maaaaaan.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 15, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question: Does Cortana ever actually use your name? I have yet to hear her say it for any reason.

edit:
verbal "What's my name?"

result: Bing results for Drake and Rihanna music videos. :saddowns:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 15, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Ahh. OK, that's neat. I hope they put it back in the search screen though, that was pretty convenient.
If you turn off Location services, hitting the search button will default to regular Bing search, with the Bing Vision icon back at the bottom. Turn Location back on, and Cortana comes back, but with no Bing Vision icon. What I did was put a Location toggle in my Action Center, so I can easily turn it on or off without menu digging.

loquacius posted:

I just told Cortana what my favorite teams were and the scores show up in my daily update. So in other words I find out 12 hours after. Great improvement there. :downs:
Is there really no option to add college teams of any sport?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 16, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Is there any reason to keep Cortana as a pinned tile, besides having a sexy spinning circle? She's always just a touch of the search button away, right? I can do without the news updates.
Not really, no.

http://www.wpcentral.com/why-pin-cortana-to-your-start-screen

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

Already uninstalled about 12 games I don't really play, because now they litter my app screen. I just can't be happy I guess.
Don't worry, I'm still mad about this too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kidney Stone posted:

This might be a silly question?

But what do you get in Nokia Cyan which isn't in Windows Phone 8.1?
Here's a full list:
http://www.wpcentral.com/lumia-cyan-and-what-it-brings-windows-phone-81

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Drastic Actions posted:

I got (at least) 15 downloads for Awful Music so far. For those who downloaded it but have not posted yet, let me know what you think! The more feedback you give me, the more I'll know where to focus my attention to.
I've downloaded but have only briefly mucked with it. I have noticed that it's impossible to Back Arrow out of the program--it keeps refreshing the main menu & the last chosen category on my Lumia 928.

VVVV
Well then! :wipes hands dramatically and satisfactorily:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 30, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doomsday Jesus posted:

What is the name of the new SA ap?
Awful Forums Reader

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Does Cortana really speak as smoothly and non-robotic as in the commercials or is that faked?
She does sound a whole lot better than Siri, and there's a lot that's literal recordings of Jen Taylor (obv. the commercial is all Jen). The synthesized voice still sounds pretty good most of the time, too--still a lot of room for improvement, though.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 29, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

And now 117 days later, here we are! I have published my music app.

:toot: Harmony Music App for Windows Phone 8.1 :toot:

The main focus of this v1 release is streaming your own music from your own OneDrive account. Put your mp3's in a root folder (name it something with the word "music") in your OneDrive account, and this app will present them and stream them. This is ideal for people with very large music collections, or when you have more music than fits on your tiny 8GB phone.

The model I'm going with is free but capped to 500 tracks, and then $2.99 in-app purchase for unlimited tracks. At the moment it's unlisted so goons can grab the unlock :siren: for free :siren: before I go public and turn on the payment next week. The IAP is permanent, so even if it's not your think at the moment grab it so you always have it. (I'd rather there was a way to issue freebies, but I can't. Oh well.)

If you think this app has promise and/or you want to help a goon out, the very best thing you can do is rate the app five stars. It takes 30 seconds and would really help to jumpstart this thing.
Awesome. This is more what I'm looking for, as I am old and set in my ways and not really into loading actual songs onto my phone. Chucking a bunch onto Onedrive? Sure thing, though (hellooooo OCRemix collection). Good luck!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 3, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For those who are sticking with WP that could easily leave, what's keeping you there? I'm actually asking, not being a dick.
Besides having generally terrible taste, I actually do enjoy using the WP UI/OS, and the sheer customizability it allows on the homescreen. I think my brother and I are the only people I know who actually use a windows phone, and I have no delusions that it's suddenly going to catch on in any meaningful way, but for what I use my HTC M8 for (calling, reading SA, news aggregates, music streaming), I'm pretty well covered.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 16, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Drastic Actions posted:

FYI: The new database, search and SAclopedia enabled version of Awful Forums Reader finally got into the store yesterday :woop:

Let me know if your phones explode. You may need to uninstall and reinstall the app, do to the previous versions broken database features.
When I click on "View Your Profile", yours is the one that shows. Maybe you are trying to say that you were inside us all along, but just in case...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jeherrin posted:

Going back from a thread produces about 2 to 3 seconds of hangtime; going back from a subforum to the overview is about a second.
I can say that I have been experiencing the same hangtime described here.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to let you know that the app is so much snappier now and thank you.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

I wish Cortana had a separate volume setting. While driving, to comfortably hear Cortana it needs to be in the 25-30 range, whereas any music I want to listen to needs to be in the 15-25 range depending on speed of the vehicle. :(
Bless you my son.

She is too drat quiet--I need to turn the volume up all the way for her, but then I forget to put it back down and then later BWWWWWAMMMMMMMMMMMMM

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alternative pants posted:

Factor Mystic, maybe my reading comprehension is just shot, but is there a way to get Harmony Music to play under the lock screen?
That's why I had to give up on using the app :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jeherrin posted:

Drastic Actions, your drastic actions have worked.

Thanks, man. :)
Same here. Thanks for all the work you do for this app.