Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
If your text message backup is sufficiently large (hundreds or thousands of messages, I'm not sure of the exact point where it becomes an issue), the sync will time-out before all of them have had the chance to download. There's no need to worry about that, with each sync it downloads more of the missing messages until it has them all. Could take a dozen or more syncs, though, which is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
Did you try a soft reset? (Hold the Volume Down and the Power key until the phone reboots) This fixed the mic problem on my 925.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
In this price range, the important thing to know is what compromises have been made to push the price down.

The 520 lacks a front-facing camera (for video calls or selfies). It has no LED flash (not terribly important for photos, but can be handy as a flashlight). Finally, the screen is rather reflective, which can make it hard to read in sunlight. The screen picks up fingerprints easily. It's generally considered good value for the money.

The 620 does have a front-facing camera (of low resolution) and an LED flash. Despite the small size of the screen, it's generally the highest-quality of them - good contrast, good colours, good visibility in sunlight. It has support for the "Glance screen", which can be handy to see unanswered calls/texts at a glance. It has the worst battery life of the three.

The 630 is rather similar to the 520 in that it also lacks the front-facing camera and LED flash. There's no separate camera button. The processor is quad-core and enables a power-efficient always-on step counter for fitness programs, which may be important for your use scenario. The screen is decent, has better visibility in sunlight than the 520. Strangely, there's no ambient light sensor, so you will need to manually adjust brightness. It's Gorilla Glass 3, so perhaps more scratch-resistant. Finally, the 630 has the best battery life of the bunch, and it will hopefully improve a bit as the initial bugs from WP 8.1 are ironed out.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Is anyone else having the same issue with the Awful Forums Reader app that I am? It's complety unusable as it crashes out every time I scroll down on a thread. Every single time.

Are you by chance running version 8.10.14157.200 or 8.10.14147.180 of the OS (Go to Settings -> About -> More Info)? It could be related to this bug, which I think is fixed in the latest developer preview version.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Yeah, that thing. It is the one thing I don't get. If the 930 is supposed to be the ~*~flagship~*~ phone then why take away the things from the previous phone, like glance?

Cost-cutting, for Glance you need a display that supports panel self-refresh. They've taken a lot of flak for that, so I hope that they won't make the same mistake twice, at least with the high-end handsets.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

The first release could barely do more than display the time, but the current release is more customizable. Handy to check if there's been any new messages.

As for the battery power consumption, it's insignificant, on the order of 1-2 percentage points per day for OLED screens if you keep it on 24/7. It also uses the proximity sensor to turn off the screen if it determines the phone is in your pocket or a bag.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
I agree with your sentiment, but your example is mistaken - the same thing happens with phones that have 2 gigabytes of RAM. It's called app idle detection - basically, apps are deactivated to save battery power when the phone is locked. It's up to the app developer to decide whether they want to bypass this behavior.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
With the Denim update for the 930, the camera app becomes much faster to launch. Also, you can just hold the camera button down and as long you keep holding it it'll film 4K video. You can also use the software to pick any frames from the video you like and extract them as 8 megapixel JPEGs. I imagine this makes it easier to take impromptu shots.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Talkman and Cityman sound like bad awesome Chinese movies.

loquacius posted:

I was thinking bad Megaman bosses
Those are the names of two Mobira NMT phones from the 80s. (Mobira was jointly owned by Nokia and Salora, a Finnish radio manufacturer, until the latter was merged into Nokia)

Talkman:

Cityman:

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
The timeframe for the phone to enter USB flash mode when booted up is very short. Try this method:

1) Connect one end of the USB cable to your computer, but don't connect the other end to your phone yet.
2) Start the Recovery Tool.
3) Click the "My phone was not detected" button.

You should be on a screen where you're asked to select whether it's a Lumia phone or a HTC phone.
Now, the next part is very particular about timing, ideally step 5 should be done in less than a second. You might have to try more than once.

4) Reboot your phone (hold power button on newer models / hold power button + volume down on older models)
5) As soon as your phone starts rebooting (on most models you can feel it vibrate), plug in the USB cable to the phone, then click on the "Lumia" button in the Recovery Tool.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
That's a tough situation, sounds like it's identified and downloaded the correct firmware package. I've no idea why it isn't installing correctly, never had that happen to me.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Word is that the 950 and 950XL will release with a prerelease version of W10M.

That's what they did with WP 8.1 as well, the first 8.1 phone (Lumia 630) shipped with OS version 8.10.12359.845, whereas people running the insider preview at the time were on OS version 8.10.12393.890.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
These horror stories of how worthless US telcos are never cease to amaze me.