Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Been on Samsung-flavor Android for a while now and I can definitely say that while I like using a platform that people actually write software for I do not like how it runs like poo poo on new hardware. If I could have Android's ecosystem on WP's codebase I'd never need another phone.

My 920 and my 640XL after it were both way faster and snappier at just about everything and looked better too with superior preloaded first-party software.

Yesterday on the way home from work I gave my S6 Active a voice command to call my fiancee so I could tell her I got caught in traffic and held it up to my ear for a good fifteen seconds before realizing it was still lagging on the search screen. Almost got in an accident. It regularly takes several seconds to wake up from sleep and a few more to load the home screen from the unlock screen. Is this just a problem of Samsung being horrible or is Android just slow by nature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will say that now that I have access to the big wide world of Android apps I don't really find myself using them :shrug:

I was on Snapchat for a little while but eh

As for the game-changing tech they need to wait for, does this count?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For some reason Japan is getting cool winphones and America isn't

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10912050/vaio-phone-biz-hands-on-photos

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm prepared to be underwhelmed mostly because if it was anything that would actually make a difference they'd be livestreaming it everywhere they could rather than keeping it all hush-hush

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The only actual news I've seen since that tweet went out is that HP is porting an Android phone to W10M

This is not big news and no one cares so in other words that was probably it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I could see the whole thing about HP's bold new mobile enterprise vision being the kind of thing that would get people in boardrooms and marketing departments really excited and then fail to get anyone's attention outside them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Agreed.

Though in a way, if they would partner with Intel, run the latest good Atom processor, and allow Continuum with x86 apps. Then they might have their niche.

If they don't do that though, well.....

Continuum with x86 capability would be amazing. My initial reaction was that it'd basically doom the UWP platform but it'd probably be ok if they only allowed x86 programs to run while in Continuum mode (which would also be the only time it'd really make sense to use them)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Bash on Windows thing blew my mind but I develop on a Windows machine at a Linux/Mac company so

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Snapchat app will probably never happen; the guy who made the previous third-party client has said that Snapchat's upper management is openly hostile toward MS in general.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

Can someone explain windows 10? I thought mobile was the same as desktop, but shackled so to speak. Continuum basically removed the shackles but you need a powerful phone to do it because you're getting full desktop windows. Is that wrong?

As I understand it, continuum basically gets you Windows RT. It's "full desktop Windows" in its UI and presentation, but you're still limited to Windows Store apps that would run on your phone (meaning no x86/x64 programs)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah being able to run x86 programs in Continuum would make Continuum the really cool concept it was advertised as and worth investing in

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As one of the billion people who's skipping this generation of WP I'm actually really impressed with the Google Maps app's level of polish. Here Drive could get you places just fine, but Google Maps is just a better app experience. It's basically the #1 reason I'm rooting for Google and MS to finish making peace with each other in the post-Ballmer era.

That said, WP is a more competent OS than Samsung Android in basically every way

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

I'm probably one of the biggest WP fanboys (suckers) and I've gotta say, as much as I don't like Google, I've been lusting after the galaxy S7. Is android more of a mess than WM10? I'm tired of my phone randomly failing at simple things randomly.

Samsung Android still does that yeah

Whatever my next phone is it won't be Samsung

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

I appreciate the feedback. I just downloaded the Microsoft keyboard for my iPhone, maybe that will hold me over until a surface phone release.

Jealous of this, the Samsung keyboard is bad. In particular it does this thing where it autocorrects a word it doesn't recognize into two words, then if you pick the option to un-autocorrect the word it only deletes the second of the two words it added (eg "autocorrect" becomes "auto correct" becomes "auto autocorrect")

I remember shopping around keyboards when I first got the phone and not being incredibly impressed with any of the alternative ones but maybe it's time I reassess

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I absolutely remember having problems with the W10 insider builds on a phone using a memory card

(mostly because the install process itself wasn't allowed to use the memory card so I had to move everything on my phone over to it which is not a process that works very well in and of itself)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Lumia brand isn't really worth a whole lot, the Surface brand is better and I absolutely think switching from one to the other is a good idea

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Best toy I've bought in a long time. Our whole office is enamored with it, and it's really fun to develop for.

A lot of MS's focus these days seems to be on delighting developers (developers developers *throws chair*) -- Bash, UWP, and Islandwood all come to mind as highly-publicized features that directly target devs. Hololens seems like it could be at least partially based around the same idea, because they're not pumping out shovelware games for it like VR makers.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Even if you get a decent GPU in a Mac you have to wait for devs to support their OS. What's the matter with a proper Windows gaming pc? For the price of a Mac you can get a great setup with a great GPU and then some more.

Yeah I know we're all bitter about a horribly mishandled mobile OS in here but let's not talk crazy, gaming PCs are a best-in-class experience

I still haven't bought a nextgen gaming console and I'm starting to doubt I ever will

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

Aw man I've been waiting for the SMS from my desktop for ages. I'm on the Release Preview so I don't think it's made it's way to me yet, and now it's shitcanned for *something better in the future*.

My thoughts is they're doing this rear end backwards - Skype should integrate into the messaging/calling on W10M, and indeed into W10 proper, rather than shoehorning everything which we already do into Skype. They're ballsing up everything to justify a bullshit acquisition. Again.

I 100% agree, the reason iMessage works so well is how integrated it is into iOS (it's also the reason why leaving iOS is such a pain in the rear end, of course, but we could benefit from hindsight on that one)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

Windows Central got their hands on the McLaren phone with working 3D touch. Looks pretty neat. Could have been something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3naqBqK7mvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSK-XuhUFPU

Y'know, I really like pretty much all of Satya Nadella's decisions for the most part and he is preferable to Steve Ballmer in every way

but every once in a while you see something like this and it's like, man, at least Ballmer dared to dream

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nobody calls Google Now "he" or "she," because Google Now is a cold heartless automaton

If you tell Google Now to tell you a joke, it Googles "joke" for you. It figures that you do not understand the concept of jokes, because it does not understand the concept of jokes either.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still of the opinion that Nadella will save it, just maybe retreating from a lot of things we'd rather see succeed :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well, I dunno if it's as clear-cut as that for me -- I tried using OSX for work for a few months and couldn't stand it -- but I've recently started to try using Edge as a browser (since Chrome and FF are so bad at resource management) and yeah it definitely feels unfinished

Just smaller stuff like WebM support issues, extensions not working in private browsing mode (and only recently existing at all), page logos not showing up correctly in browser tab headers half the time, etc etc, plus I really miss Firefox's multi-search-engine-capable search bar. Thanks to sound fundamentals (talking again about resource management) it'd end up being the best choice if the kinks were already ironed out, but they're not :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

I know the Surface 4 is nice, but is the Surface Book? I never see it mentioned in good laptops to buy discussions.

As I understand it it's an MBP competitor, which is bad because the people willing to pay MBP prices for a laptop are all Mac addicts who specifically want MBPs, but yeah people who get one seem to be satisfied with it AFAICT

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Thing I will toxx myself on never happening: a Microsoft-designed AMD mobile phone SoC signals the start of a new commitment to phones.

I wouldn't quite jizz myself if this happened, because hardware was only a third of their problem (they'd also have to dump tons of money into marketing to rival Apple's and incenting developers to devote time to their platform) but I would pop a stiffy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CharlesM posted:

That's lame. I thought it was pretty well loved. Besides the reliability. I hope mine doesn't break now. I'm on device five or so.

It was extremely Zunelike in that the roughly 200 people worldwide who own one all absolutely love it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cvnvcnv posted:

Uhhhh yeah, apps are dead and mobile web is king. Though I can hardly blame anyone with a Windows Phone for not knowing what is going on with technology.

If apps are dead I think it's about time for WP to make a comeback :razz:

Meanwhile the company I work at still devotes considerable effort to telling people using our MW site that they should really be using our app instead

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CalvinandHobbes posted:

......... sometime in late 2017 or early 2018.

Good, that'll give us enough time to progress fully into the post-app era

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

Clicked this thread for the first time in 3 months, don't know why I'm still subscribed

My switch away from WP/WM was completely conditional, I still don't like Samsung or Apple and have very few other options on AT&T, and on the off-chance anything noteworthy actually happens I want to know about it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This whole adaptive shell thing I've been hearing about is pretty cool news in the "stuff they needed to have working in 2010" category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My biggest gripe with Windows Phone right now is the fact that the predictive text doesn't recognise no-one as a hyphenated word, and will frequently show me every possible version of a word such as plurals and past tense but not the main word itself.

I'm with your phone on this one