Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If anyone's looking for a cheap 520, Amazon has them today for $44.99:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E45043A/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wormil posted:

On Android I used Series Guide to track tv shows and notify me of upcoming episodes/seasons. Tried several Windows apps and they aren't very good. I bought Series Fan because the trial seemed perfect but the full app is kinda crappy. I want an app that will sync with Trakt, allow me to tick off shows as I watch them, notify me of upcoming shows, will hide shows that are caught up, preferably with a good usable interface that allows many sorting options. Anyone use an app like that?

Which ones have you tried? I don't use Trakt, but it looks like the general recommendations are:

WPTrakt
Prime TV
TV Blaze

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LifeSizePotato posted:

Is there anything interesting in the final 8.1 that we haven't already had in the previews? Some cool feature they kept under wraps?

I'd say "all signs point to no", but they're apparently almost done with 8.1 Update 1, so maybe something interesting there?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jeherrin posted:

So I have a home server/NAS, with all my music/movies on it. I can access it via FTP if necessary. I want an app that will allow me to stream the movies, principally, and somehow this seems hard to find. Anyone any recommendations?

I use Plex.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone in the 8.1 preview program getting an update? It looks like one is out, although I don't see anything on my 920.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LentThem posted:

Fuuuuck I hope mixradio will be okay

Blargh, getting better "radio" and curated playlists would've really helped out Xbox music too.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

This thread depresses me.

Yesterday I had an appointment on my calendar with a location, Cortana picked it up, checked traffic, suggested a route and a departure time. The route made sense based on traffic flow at the time, and the leave time was accurate. I get in the car and tell the phone to start voice navigation and Here Drive comes up with a completely different route that will take me through the heaviest traffic flow area. Why the hell can't Cortana tell Here Drive to take a specific route, or even give me the directions natively?

As depressing as this thread is, moments like that end up being more depressing, because I have hard time imagining anyone actually using many of the features in 8.0/8.1 and thinking "this is good enough to ship".

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 18, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Factor Mystic posted:

Up until you thought of it, HERE Drive's purpose was to generate routes, not accept routes. That's an interesting feature idea but not really a fair criticism. So what you're really asking is "why doesn't HERE Drive communicate correctly with something that was invented after it was released??"

I have a hard time seeing how this isn't fair criticism, this is an experience that Microsoft owns end to end now. Are you saying that Cortana making suggestions that you can't actually do anything with is an acceptable user experience?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LifeSizePotato posted:

A lot of my complaints about WP stem from my impression that nobody at MS actually uses the phone and thinks about how they'd improve anything. It seems like everything is created in a sealed office somewhere, and nobody is ever out with their phone saying "I wish it could do this useful thing" or "why does it do it like this, this is unintuitive and clunky" and then making actual changes happen.

I live near Redmond and there's windows phones all over the place. Both times I've picked up a device on a launch day there's been lines with a ton of MS employees in them. That's been the frustrating thing because it gives me the impression that they are using the devices and are happy with the way things work. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Drastic Actions posted:

I also took the 520 out for a little bit. I don't know how anyone deals with it. It's not "bad", but there are so many better phones for not much more money. Dealing with the performance issues is a pain, but hopefully it will make my app better for all phones.

Yeah, 520 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I am a bit disappointed in the 630 sticking with 512MB of RAM, seems like a gig should probably be the new "entry level"

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone using 8.1 with Ford Sync? If so, have you had problems with Bluetooth phone stuff? If I'm using Cortana on the phone, voice recognition is pretty good. If I use it through the car system, things seem like they have a much higher chance of getting garbled.

As an example yesterday, "directions to sequim washington" became "hot erections to swim washington", which was so completely wrong as to be amusing and screenshot worthy.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wookieepelt posted:

I'm using Sync with 8.1 and it works great. It seems to hear me better than 8.0. In my wife's Jetta, using whatever Volkswagen uses, Cortana can't understand anything I say. It doesn't even try to guess. "Sorry, I didn't catch that. Try again." If it helps, I'm using Ford Sync in a 2010 that hasn't been updated. I heard from some of my coworkers that 2012 Sync sucks at voice recognition.

Boo. Yeah, this is a 2013 with the MyFordTouch stuff, which is godawful. It took 2-3 Windows Phone 8.0 updates and 2-3 Sync updates to get stable, and then the 8.1 upgrade made it sad again.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 22, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

This is probably already known but I'll toss it out again for others. I've noticed in some cars there's a waiting period between when Cortana starts and when it passes through to you via the head unit. For example on my car I have to wait a good two seconds to hear the beep that means "NOW say your poo poo". If I say it right away then it only catches half since it starts actually listening after I've already started talking. Number two, try toggling the bluetooth advanced option where it connects in another totally mysterious way not explained.

Yeah, I'll give MYSTERIOUS OPTION B here a whirl and see how it works.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I've had Bluetooth problems in a different ford as well. My 920 refused to connect to the Sync system in a 2013 Explorer, but my friends iPhone worked flawlessy.

Yeah, 2013 explorer is what I've got. My wifes iPhone works fine, the 920 has gotten better as they've released 8.1 updates (the initial release wouldn't stay connected at all), right now the biggest annoyance is the garbled speech to text.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 22, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Good luck to you! I am pretty happy to see it spun off really, it was hard to see it growing to potential if it were to be integrated and harmonized with some broader Microsoft multimedia vision.

Well, news sites seem to seizing on this part of the earnings call as the broader multimedia vision going away, so may very well have been a good move:

quote:

"With our decision to specifically focus on gaming, we expect to close Xbox entertainment studios and streamline our investments in music and video. We will invest in our core console gaming in Xbox live with a view towards the broader PC and mobile opportunity."

Not sure if this means that the services are going to close down or what.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Rent, since you're on AT&T: Does the data sense app work? Has it been neutered in any way?

WPCentral claims it does:

quote:

•Data Sense – Although everyone has Data Sense in the generic Windows Phone 8.1 OS Preview build, AT&T has never kept Data Sense on their phones for official releases. This restriction changes with the Lumia 1520, which now has Data Sense fully intact on the US carrier.

•Data Arrows – Data arrows have been present in the Windows Phone OS for quite some time, but they were a carrier option whether to enable. Our hunch is they are part of Data Sense, and as such, users can now see the little arrows when data is actively being transferred on Wi-Fi or cellular.

http://www.wpcentral.com/whats-new-lumia-1520-att-lumia-cyan-update

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone else seeing big slowdowns from the lock screen beta? I'll get "Resuming" when I hit the power button for up to 5 seconds before the lock screen appears now, and it continues after the app is uninstalled. :(

Edit:

If anyone else has this, apparently you can fix it (after uninstalling the lock screen beta) by changing your lock screen to Bing and then back to whatever you want.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

My wife has a Nokia 925 on T-Mobile and it's still showing no update to 8.1. Is that normal? I had heard the 8.1 update was rolling out like two weeks ago. Are updates carrier specific like on Android devices?

Yes, they are carrier specific:

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Just got the 8.1 update 1 notification, it's slowly installing on my dev preview 920 (lol AT&T)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Folders are neat, you can squeeze 4 apps with live tiles into a small tile, or 6 with the folder name into a regular sized tile. it looks like live tile notifications cause things to scroll around icon wise, and the tiles in the folder can be different sizes.

Still didn't fix the gmail delete issues that started with 8.1 though. :(

I'm on version 8.10.14147.180

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LentThem posted:

I still think it's mostly teams being hamstrung by release schedules and program managers. I'm really curious what effect this briefly had on the MixRadio team.

That said, I'm still incredibly disappointed in the podcast functionality in Windows Phone (even with third-party apps).

With my old Symbian phone, importing podcasts (without subscription) was super easy. You just set the Genre tag in the MP3 to "Podcast" and Symbian would dump it in the Podcasts section, and would remember your place in every single podcast that you played, and never forgot the progress unless the phone crashed while playing.

Yeah, as much as it makes me sound like a broken record this got worse with 8.0 (at least for US users) and 8.1 didn't really make it much better. Somehow apple seems to also be flushing their podcast experience down the toilet though too, so I'm somewhat torn. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Good news AT&T Lumia 1020 owners:

quote:

the highly anticipated software update for Nokia Lumia 1020 is now available for AT&T customers

http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7795986

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

loquacius posted:

Does this include the recent update that unfucked the Music app?

Complete unfucking is 8.1 Update 1 I do believe. Presumably if you're already 8.1 Update 1 developer preview then you can just now get Cyan?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Darth TNT posted:

I'm still running a 710. I was holding off on buying a replacement until some decent announcements. (Un)fortunately no such luck, so I'll stick with my aging phone for another year at least. I'm really starting to notice the age now though, it's even refusing to load embedded youtube movies these days. Not that I used that feature much anyway, it's just a bit annoying whenever I do want to use it. :shrug:

I find myself missing my Lumia 900 from time to time. How much stuff (app wise) still supports 7.X?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I really like the 635, but yeah, an ambient light sensor and an LED on the back are things I would've been willing to pay :10bux: more for.

I'm not entirely sure where the battery life complaints I've seen in reviews came from, it has been light years better than my poor Lumia 920, even in big convention centers where things usually suck.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Out of curiosity, what kind of storage usage are other 630/635 users seeing?

I've got all my music/pictures/whatever on SD card, but out of the 6.53 GB of space on my phone, a bit over 1/2 of that is used up by system files, which seems crazy (3.33 GB to be exact).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Eggnogium posted:

Ditto on my 635. Actually worse, 4.29 GB is used.

Gah, how the hell is something like a 530 even usable with 4GB?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

Pinging the MS dev goons, and I apologize to the rest of you for :words:. There's a pretty big bug in the Xbox Music app that I've noticed, unless only mine is broken or I completely misunderstand the subscription settings. Thanks to Data Sense I noticed that my data usage has creeped higher than usual over the last month or two. The most common way I play music is just to shuffle all the songs on the device and skip when I hit one I don't care for right then. Usually this is by launching the app and hitting shuffle, but I sometimes launch it via Cortana or let the car head unit do it. I noticed that a song played that I thought I had deleted from the device awhile back. So I checked the phone and it was still gone, then I checked the Now Playing list and sure enough not only were my local songs listed but so were the songs from my online pool of music (you can tell because they have a little radio signal next to the song title). Despite the fact that in settings I intentionally have "Show streaming music in my collection" turned off. To further prove that, when I look at the list of songs/artists in the app sure enough it only shows what's been downloaded. Nothing from the online pool. But wait it gets better! It only does it sometimes and I haven't been able to narrow down all the exact methods that trigger it. So far it seems that if I tell Cortana to "shuffle my music" it then plays my shuffled music plus the online music, once again ignoring the setting that has online turned off. So that's one way. I also suspect it happens when my car head unit initiates the shuffle (it starts with the first song alphabetically, then shuffles), but I haven't tested that yet.

tl;dr

Beware the evil shuffle feature or you may blow through data caps unintentionally.

:tipshat:

I'm assuming this was a phone that got upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 without a hard reset? When I upgraded my Lumia 920 from 8.0 to 8.1 developer preview, I had a weird issue where Cortana would not shuffle my music at all, claiming that streaming music support had to be enabled in music app, regardless of whether or not it was actually enabled. I was guessing something settings wise got messed up during the upgrade process, and couldn't ever find a solution outside of a hard reset.

For what it's worth, my 635 doing a shuffle via Cortana with streaming music option disabled in Xbox music will only shuffle my local songs, not anything in my cloud collection/streaming music.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

AT&T 820 & 920 users are getting Cyan finally (assuming you're still on 8.0 and not on dev preview):

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-lumia-920--820-lumia-cyan-update-now-available

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well, that's something I guess, but they really need to get something out there to replace the 920/925 and 1020:

quote:

AT&T confirmed it will add the Nokia Lumia 830 to its leading portfolio of Windows Phone 8.1 devices. Further details on pricing and availability will be announced at a later date.

http://about.att.com/story/att_to_carry_the_nokia_lumia_830.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

vigorous sodomy posted:

Is there no simple phone book on these phones? Do I need to gently caress with people menus and google or outlook accounts just to add a phone number?

There's no local contacts, everything belongs to some sort of cloud account under the people hub.

Microsoft has a decent set of resources online:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Man, the difference in web browsing on the 635 and a 1gig phone like the 920 seems pretty noticable. Seems like switching tabs always causes a refresh on the 635, I don't recall running into that with the 920 at all.

How's web browsing one of the 2GB RAM phones?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anonononomous posted:

Has anyone had hands on experience and want to tell me if I should get a One on an Icon? I'm on Verizon, so those are my options. So far as I can tell, the nice things about the One are the faster processor (how much of a difference does that make?), the slightly bigger battery, expandable memory and nifty stuff like the IR blaster, the dot cases and the metal finish. But the Icon has a way better camera, an apparently better screen, the better Nokia apps (?), and nifty wireless charging.

Also, does anyone know if Verizon has gotten better at pushing updates? My current phone is a Trophy that I got (I think) after 7.8 came out but I got it with 7.5 and it's never updated. I don't want to get stuck with 8 on an Icon if I go that way. Or is that an HTC issue and a reason to go with the Icon?

Paul Thurott did a comparison in his M8 review:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/htc-one-m8-windows-review

He liked the Icon overall better due to the camera and Nokia/Microsoft specific apps, but the One does have some things going for it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I picked up an import white back for my 635 as I liked the color better, and apparently Microsoft won't sell the white back in the US as it's the "T-Mobile 635" color.

OVerall it feels more "grippy" and matte than the black on my AT&T 635. Not sure if that's normal, or I got a cheap chinese knock off or what. :)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does the windows phone insider app not work with 8.1? I used to use it to snag new wallpapers, but can't install it on my Lumia 635.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/insider/6c6091e6-0128-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You couldn't do that on pre-8.1 for a while but the ability seems to have been restored in 8.1. No, I've no idea why either, although their suggested workaround (just divert all your mail to your NEW WONDERFUL OUTLOOK MAIL ACCOUNT STOP SAYING HOTMAIL ITS OUTLOOK ALRIGHT) maybe hints at at why.

They moved from EAS to imap/caldav/carddav, I haven't had any issues other than a weird delete issue because GMails label system is retarded.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wookieepelt posted:

Something new is happening to my 1520. Randomly, my home screen will start scrolling around on its own, sometimes it launches an app, the screen becomes unresponsive, and the only way to stop it is to restart the phone. Good news is that the camera stop randomly launching. Is my phone broken?

Maybe try this? Seems to be a big phone 1520 version of the OMG APPLE BENDGHAZI blah blah:

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/297759-6.htm#post2689765

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

Does Cortana really speak as smoothly and non-robotic as in the commercials or is that faked?

They've been making her sound a lot less robotic. I'd say somewhere in between siri and an actual human. The commercials seem to have a voice actress doing everything.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

vigorous sodomy posted:

This phone really sucks. The Nokia Lumia 635 has options that set themselves and has problems ending calls. I turned off WiFi calling in the options, but my phone still uses it exclusively, and anytime I try to end a call using wifi calling it hangs up on the ending call screen. No amount of mashing end call will fix it, and I'm reduced to restarting the phone.

Should have stuck with the iPhone :(

SOunds like a defective phone? I'm on AT&T, but my 635 has generally been fine.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like the Windows 10 chat just finished, guess we'll have to wait for a bit to actually get better info on the future of Windows Phone, other than "we're moving everything to Windows 10"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NFX posted:

Today my phone ran out of power before 4 pm. I have very few background tasks going on (two IMAP accounts), and I certainly haven't added any in the last several weeks. The battery usage indicator thing in 8.1 reports "Alarms" as having the highest power usage. Thanks.

At least the music app seems slightly more responsive now :bravo:

Out of curiosity, what is the schedule on those IMAP accounts? I've noticed that the "let the phone decide lol" setting seemed to destroy my battery life.