Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Basch lives. posted:

I'm looking to get my first smart phone and I've decided on a Windows Phone because of OneNote and OneDrive meshing really well with my Windows 8 tablet and laptop. My idea is to get a cheap one to last me until the 940/XL comes out.

Would a 920 or 925 be good enough performance-wise? I know it's like 2-3 years old now, but I really like the color options on the 920. Or should I just get a 635 for like $50?

Or get a 640XL and forget about the upcoming models? Only thing is I'm really intrigued by having a proper digitizer pen on a windows phone.

Same; on my 1520 the Awful app also just closes randomly. Memory usage is around 100mb at most when this happens. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I really hope someone does, but until then we have Metrotube.

metrotube and mytube are better anyways.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I would buy a Surface phone so loving hard.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys; the new wp10 10512 build is pretty solid. Been using it for the last 3 days without a hickup on my 1520.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Edge on PC is actually p good, aside from lack of extensions.

Yeah, I use Edge for like, 99% of everything.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

That's weird because it's the other way around with me. Chrome and Firefox just loving crawl these days and Edge has never given me a single issue.

Same here; Edge is super snappy and I love it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I want a 950xl just to get away from the screen-wigging-out issues of my 1520. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Alternative pants posted:

So here's an issue I've never experienced. My 640XL is starting to get a yellowish smudge in the screen at the top. So far not found anything online even remotely helpful, but its damned annoying and hasn't been fixed by changing any settings.

It's a problem with the LCD screen. I would get the 640 replaced before it becomes worse.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

It's my understanding that they can do 2 year contracts, but they can't do things like NEXT. Things may have changed though.

I am on a NEXT plan on AT&T that I was put on when I bought my 1520 at the MS store.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As a 1520 owner, I really want to be excited over the 950 but just can't. I really don't see a major selling point for me. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
When is the XL being released?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DarkMalfunction posted:

Since when has that been a thing?!? Oh that makes life easier!

You can also just hold the windows button as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Eh; after reading the reviews, I don't know if I will get the XL. My 1520 runs fine right now.
Is this a phone that was originally a Nokia design? It kind of looks like it and I hope they go to a surface phone for their next flagship.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

.Tim posted:

From what I understand they're the last of the Nokia designs. I'm sure Microsoft tweaked them a little bit but yeah basically Nokia. I'm interested to see what (if anything) the Surface team comes up with.

Yeah that makes sense. Considering the design direction that MS is going, these look way way different, and that's not a good thing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

"That site is so biased. I mean, they always give out great review scores to those devices that are massively successful and always get great reviews"

Engadget specifically went out of their way to complain that the surface doesn't come with a pen, and at the same time didn't complain at all that the Ipad Pro also doesn't come with a pen.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Looks like my 1520 + band1 is better than the 950xl + band2. :smug:

Get your poo poo together Microsoft. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Really I just hope they release a surface x86 phone that's built as nice as the regular surfaces. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As a Embedded Linux engineer who has developed a Android Tablet as well, I will never ever use a Android device again.

Every single revision is a major rewrite of the code in someway or another.
The ART/Dalvik/JNI/HAL layer is a mess.
The handling of SD cards is basic at best.
The build system (was) a complete mess.

Android is to Linux as OSX is to Unix.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Have I understood it correctly that Microsoft has finally actually silently managed to get into the vaunted "we push updates ourselves" situation with WP10? I hear the radio stuff is sandboxed off these days, but whether this actually translates into a freedom to update or not I haven't yet heard?

They have it seems. IIRC, the last update to WP10 was also the last update to Windows10.

Parallel releases are going to be a thing of the future.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stick100 posted:

Maybe because they are not selling with any carrier partners and it's acting like a unlocked devices like an Opo or an international device. Are any WP10 devices being sold in carrier stores?

https://www.att.com/cellphones/microsoft/lumia-950.html

I can also walk into any AT&T store in the Grand Rapids area and buy a 950 if I wanted to.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
After giving my wife a Band 2 for Christmas (She loves it), I am getting one for myself and giving my OG Band to my son.
God DANG what a nice product the Band 2 is.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just got my Band2, so so so drat good.

Why can't Microsoft make phones with a high as quality as the Band2? I really hope they do make a x86 Surface Phone and it's actually good. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I moved to a Note5 guys, sorry. :smith:

After using WP since putting it on my HTC HD2, I just can't use it anymore until they get some better phones. Their ideas are awesome but with the clusterfuck that is the 950xl, the buggy WP10 OS, and the constant removal of features, I just can't take it.

That and the rest of the family went to Android as well.

Who knows, if they make a nice X86 Surface phone I will check into it. Until then I will watch from outside the ring.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The fact that Skype isn't webrtc based boggles my mind at this point. :psyduck:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hell; at this point OSx86 is stupidly easy to implement if you choose your parts correctly. You can even update 99.99% of the time without having to do anything but click the update button.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So after jumping ship to a Nexus 6p, I really miss Windows Phone. Is the 950 (non-xl) any good now? I'm with T-mobile and the 950 AT&T version is around 250$~ on swappa. I'm really tempted to go back. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I know WM is getting a huge horrible rap for stripping features out, however after reading about how MS is finally FINALLY done getting windows to the point where it's the same build for every device, I do have hope.

Yes they had to strip out many good features from cobbled together Windows CE services that we all enjoyed and loved. Yes things were buggy to begin with (although they are a lot better now!) Yes it was painful as well.

I still have hope, and I hope that a good surface phone will bring their vision to fruition. If Microsoft has kept anything from their hardware side in the good graces of the population, it's the Surface name.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 2, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Indeed, I will say that the main bright spot for W10M at this time is that you do get the sense that you are a first-class citizen in Windows land, with both the system and apps getting updates in lockstep with the "real" Windows. Progress is actually being made, and the core apps are certainly getting beaten into a very pleasing shape at the rate things are going.

The reason why this is so is because WM10 for all intents and purposes IS Windows 10. It takes them very little effort to push updates to their phone system now. To get to this point was horrific and terrible and they did an absolute poo poo job getting there, but they are finally there, and it looks like it is working out well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Except Intel is no longer making CPUs for phones.

No, they stopped making the Atom to focus on the core m.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Well that sucks. I use mine every day and the music control is a great feature I won't get on a different wearable even if I manage to port all my workouts. Does the Health app even have a purpose without Band?

Edit: Holy poo poo to get a Fitbit that controls music I have to spend $100 more than Band 2 ever was and then another $1000 for the iPhone it works with and it doesn't even do programmed workouts.

? The blaze is what you are talking about right? That's 50$ over what the band 2 originally was and fitbits work with wm8.1/wm10/ios/android.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Whoops, for whatever reason I only looked at the Surge and Charge 2. Re-writing all my workouts will suck but at least that's a one-off.

But what made you think they only worked with a 1,000$ iphone? :psyduck:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

For me it was 920. I don't think anything was missing from it. QI, glance, DDTW, it was no compromise (except apps :v:).

I miss the thickness and weight of my old white 920. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Same here brother.

If they made a 960 exactly the same weight and dimensions of the 920 with updated internals i would pre order it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cvnvcnv posted:

"Surface Phone not NOT confirmed" is hilarious as it says and means literally nothing, merely not interrupting anything anyone else is saying. Someone very bad at their job was paid very well to say that on behalf of a global corporation.

Bury W10M, along with that person and everyone else who worked on phones.

You can't bury wm10 because it's literally Windows 10.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Microsoft Discontinues its band fitness wearable

:smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

That's just great. This morning I put on my band 1 and the buttons don't work. It's now just a watcj with a lovely battery. By the time I can scrape up enough disposable cash for a replacement there won't be any left. Are there any other things out there that work with WP and has a similar level of functionality?

Fitbit Blaze is what I moved to. Other than no custom workouts it's been fantastic. Even works with groove music.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
No surface phone announcement. gently caress you microsoft.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This was posted in the Windows 10 thread, and, well, :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U

No mention of how it could apply to phones, but possibly something to keep an eye on?

Windows is platform agnostic, it will run on arm, or x86 without any code changes.
In fact, WP IS windows. Just with a different GUI on top of it.

Edit*

The emulation stuff is awesome though! I knew there were rumors but I am glad to see it in action.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 8, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I picked up a 950 on Swappa for 200$ I miss WP, and at 200$ I can't complain. Hopefully it's nice enough to keep using!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So far I am loving the 950.

Removable battery? Check
Expandable Storage? Check
Windows hello is pretty neat.
The Snapdragon 808 is still plenty fast.
3 gigs of ram.
Not huge like my Note5.
Still actively updated.

I really dig it.