Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I used to open a tab in IE and it would stay until I closed the tab, even if I quit IE. Now, if I back out of IE, it loses everything I had saved for later. What is the point of unlimited tabs if you start over every time you back out?

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Doomsday Jesus posted:

My wife just got a 1520 and signed in with her love account.

It tried syncing then said "not up to date." So, we told it to sync again. She triple checked her login information and it is correct. She gets the error code 86000c0a when trying to download apps or update existing apps.

Any ideas?

Well, it is a Windows product, so try restarting it?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

xylo posted:

drat this is not good. This is defiantly not the normal experience, but it's hard for me to stay if you're got a bad phone, firmware issue, or an MO issue. Please use the diagnostics apps and do some repros/send logs etc.

I'm confirming this. Xbox music sucks, but everyone in my family has only noticed a slight decrease in battery life as the only negative performance issue since upgrading. That's two NL 920s, a 1020, and my 1520.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's Xbox Music like when roaming? I know it can cache music offline, but does it play without a data connection? In Android and Play Music All Access, I pin my playlists and the music in it is available all the time, without a data connection to check licenses (up to a certain point, I suppose).

It checks licenses once a month. You don't need data the rest of the time.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I really think I'm Microsoft's ideal user. I haven't synced a phone to my computer since WP7.5 came out. All of my music is downloaded on the device and I back my pictures up on the cloud. So every complaint about the way WP 8.1 syncs doesn't affect me at all and when I hear about how lovely it is to do, I don't understand why you people don't just do what I do. And the music app really did suck two versions ago, but right now it does what I need it to do. Also, I have never had a problem with multiple versions if a song filling up my library. No duplicates whatsoever and I have been using windows phone since it came out.

The point I'm making is: Either I am really lucky in my windows phone experience or a few people are doing weird stuff.

I'm by no means defending the music app though. That thing sucked and it took three updates to get usable. Not good.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone else have problems with, what I assume are, group messages. When I receive one it simply says "Get media content now (1kb)" but when you tap on it the same message refreshes, outgoing group messages also refuse to send.

My internet and MMS access point settings are correct, so is there any known issue on WP8.1?

It happens for me. I'll get one message that says "Get media content now" and will not download at all. Then all of the replies come in, except from the original sender. His always say"Get media content now." I think whatever his phone is must use a different setting that seems to mess with WP.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Got my goon owned Lumia 1020 earlier today. It fits much better in my hands, and that camera really is something to behold. Too bad it's a bit slow though. Also, it's yellow :3:. Oh yeah, Xbox Music still sucks. Took five attempts for it to actually start scanning for music, and when it finished I had to restart the app to actually see it. Great job guys! :thumbsup:

I should be dogfooding my own app soon enough though. Having a device I can actually use on a regular basis will help out with that effort.

Let me know if you want help testing your music app.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone using 8.1 with Ford Sync? If so, have you had problems with Bluetooth phone stuff? If I'm using Cortana on the phone, voice recognition is pretty good. If I use it through the car system, things seem like they have a much higher chance of getting garbled.

As an example yesterday, "directions to sequim washington" became "hot erections to swim washington", which was so completely wrong as to be amusing and screenshot worthy.

I'm using Sync with 8.1 and it works great. It seems to hear me better than 8.0. In my wife's Jetta, using whatever Volkswagen uses, Cortana can't understand anything I say. It doesn't even try to guess. "Sorry, I didn't catch that. Try again." If it helps, I'm using Ford Sync in a 2010 that hasn't been updated. I heard from some of my coworkers that 2012 Sync sucks at voice recognition.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Awful music: It indexed music in the background, so that was nice. It looks good, and I really like the music bar on the bottom. I do have a bit of bad news though. The music doesn't play. I'm using a NL 1520 and I'm on 8.1 preview for developers.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

If you hold down on an album, you can add it to the current playlist. I need to add shuffle.

Does this play music downloaded from Zune Pass/Xbox Music subscription? If not, that would explain why it doesn't play any of my music. I'm going to add music that I own and see if that solves the issue.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

Is there anything else other than Folders?

Bluetooth internet sharing. Something called Apps Corner, which sounds like Kids Corner, but for adults?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

So is anyone hoping that Microsoft announcement coming up with the big ol 1020 lense as an O in the text is in regard to say a 1030 or something? Or would they really tease something like that, only to announce the still pretty lovely 730 with a special Selfie Cam? :negative:

I want a 1030.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I'm using a NL 1520 on WP 8.1 U1 developer preview and got an update. Does that mean they fixed the bit locker bug and I'm on cyan?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Hey WP users, I've been an android user for the last four years and, while I plan on keep mainly using android, I'll be switching carriers soonish and I don't plan on upgrading my phone (currently a Galaxy S4 with a custom rom). I'm here because my carrier will offer me a few free phones (or extremely cheap) and the Lumia 925 (for 1 extra euro/month for 24, making it an hilarious 24 total) is one of the options. I've googled information about it and seems like a decent device and I want to mess with WP 8.1.

Will I be able to remove carrier apps and other bloatware? Will the 925 give me a good impression about how windows phones are?

The 925 is considered to be the best of the last generation. You should be able to get a good feel of what WP 8.1 can do, and uninstalling carrier apps is really easy. Just scroll to your apps list from the start screen, long press the app you don't want, and press uninstall.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Does anyone know why the camera app on my 930 might be deciding to randomly launch itself without me doing anything? It happens 2 or 3 times a week.

This happens almost daily on my 1520. Only happened after 8.1 DP, and not fixed by Cyan or update 1.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Something new is happening to my 1520. Randomly, my home screen will start scrolling around on its own, sometimes it launches an app, the screen becomes unresponsive, and the only way to stop it is to restart the phone. Good news is that the camera stop randomly launching. Is my phone broken?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

This is normal behavior. What's the problem?

Ok, I know it's not supposed to do that. Let me rephrase then. Is there an easy fix our do I have to send my phone in?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Maybe try this? Seems to be a big phone 1520 version of the OMG APPLE BENDGHAZI blah blah:

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/297759-6.htm#post2689765

This fixed the issues for me. Thank you.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Ev posted:

Has anyone had problems with their phone not saving pictures you take? My 1520 seems to do this thing where it will look like it's taking a photo, then when I go to look at it it's just not there. It also, sometimes, takes a ridiculously long time to take a photo after I hit the button to do so and a lot of the time it just won't open the camera app again after that, I'll either have to close it and then re-open it. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

I'm on Cyan and the latest 8.1 DP update.

I had this problem until I went in the settings and unchecked the box to play living images.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I'm setting up a 1020 at work, and I can't seem to find the option to change text tones. It's running 8.1 cyan, probably 8.1.1 and I cam change the ringtone, but not the text. Did they move this option?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Ev posted:

How about adding a donate option in the app so we can pay you back for all the time you put into this? I mean, drat, that's just impressive.

I agree. You don't even use Windows Phone any more, and you made one of the apps I use the most. You deserve my money.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

So I've just realised Cortana bypasses the lock screen (I don't have a passcode so I never noticed). What's the most damaging thing that can happen if someone hacks my Cortanas?

Nothing. Cortana bypasses the lock screen to play music or answer a question, but if I tell her to do something that could affect my phone it asks me to unlock my phone.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Quick poll: for people who use a mobile device to listen to music a) how much do you use playlists and b) what format are your (mobile or otherwise) playlist files, if your playlists are files (and not 'whatever spotify is').

I use playlists half the time and I use whatever file type Zune /WP uses.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

jeeves posted:

This fell off from a few pages ago, and I was curious if anyone knew this? I think I can get MMS/pictures via text messaging working again if I update some stuff in 8.1 (wife says it worked before the 8.1 update), but I really can't remember/guess the password to her old account and I think I need to just make a new account for her as Microsoft's Live account recover does jack for me.

However I need to prepare for it if it goes and deletes like all of her settings/pictures/contacts when adding a new account.

I think it will delete everything. You can save the pictures on a PC or create a new Microsoft account and sign into OneDrive using the new account credentials before you replace your primary account.

You might also be able to chat with Microsoft support and see if they can add a secondary email address, then go through the steps to reset your password.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

codo27 posted:

Not sure theres a more lonely feeling than owning a Windows phone- in Canada.

I really want a smartwatch, but there seems to be little available with true compatibility with our phones. Certain things I can deal with, okay so I have to login to my bank via browser instead of having an app (no big deal, its only my bank right). I see my girlfriend playing some interesting games on her ijunk, but they just aren't about to be ported over for us. The Band might be okay but its not available up here yet, and I'm not sure I like the styling, and I don't need(want) the fitness part of it. At least I'm not really in a position to buy another flagship right now, or else I'd be very tempted to jump back to android.

There are a few interesting games that are only in WP, but there aren't many. With the exception of a few big apps, most don't get updated regularly and are missing features that the other platforms have. My wife traded in her 1020 for an iPhone 6, and I'm tempted to join her when my contract is up. I would consider Android, but I really don't like Google. It sucks that I've been using WP since the Samsung Focus, and I still feel like there is no how of WP becoming a viable 3rd choice OS.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Add me to the list of people who have been using WP since the beginning and am considering jumping ship. My wife got an iPhone 6 and it looks pretty slick. On the other hand, I hear good things about Android. I don't like Google as company (probably irrationally) so I'm leaning more toward the iPhone. Is the one platform that Microsoft services work better on?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Maybe it's because I've never owned a Zune, Xbox, or a WP7, but what exactly went missing in the integrated hub from WP7 to now? Could you add services other than Facebook, Twitter, and Weibo to it?

I've used an iPhone 6 and a lollipop nexus 4, still rocking my contractless 1020. :shrug: Guess I just happen to be the perfect use case for a high end Windows phone.

The hubs didn't launch an app, you would just use the People hub and be able to see all updates from your linked account and could reply to them from the hub. I liked it, but the thing that's killing WP for me is that major apps that haven't updated in over a year are starting to break as the OS updates. And there won't be an update in the foreseeable future.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

Mine seems more severe than that, with random taps being registered all over the bottom half of the screen. I will try pressing the top and bottom like they suggest, though, to see if it does anything.

My 1520 did what you describe. The tips in the article worked for me, for a while. I ended up calling AT&T for a replacement.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

So do you press simultaneously on the Windows key and near the Nokia logo? Or does top and bottom mean out on the frame, like you're trying to compress it between the headphone jack and USB port?

I squeezed it from the headphone jack to the USB.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For those who are sticking with WP that could easily leave, what's keeping you there? I'm actually asking, not being a dick.

I traded my 1520 for my wife's iPhone 6 and took her old 1020 for the camera. I like being able to text one handed again. One if the minor things I don't like about the iPhone is the lack of a camera and back buttons. I miss my 1520's performance and I have app envy when I look through the app store. But those aren't a huge issue when I think about it. I have an upgrade in the fall, so I'll see what new phones are out at that time, and I'll see if Windows 10 brings more developers.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Can't Microsoft allow the Google play store on Windows without using Android?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you heard/read this somewhere, or are you assuming that based on the dark taskbar in more recent builds of Windows 10?

I remember reading this somewhere a while ago. I think it was on Windows Central. It wasn't confirmed at the event though.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Naffer posted:

So this week both Band of America and Chase announced that they're pulling their windows phone apps. This seems like a step in a bad direction for Microsoft.

Unless they're holding out for a Windows 10 universal app. Doubtful, but maybe.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Naffer posted:

Don't worry, NoDo. WP7.5, WP8, WP8.1, WP10 is right around the corner and should make all our dreams come true.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'm optimistic.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

1020 killer or bust

I think this is where MS can set themselves apart. Make a 1030, make it waterproof and durable as all hell. Add all the hey Cortana updates and whatnot, and reinvent Windows 10 phones as the photographer's phone.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

loquacius posted:

Isn't the Icon no longer available new? I think I had problems finding it when trying to get a new phone for my Verizon-using mom a few months back. Do you have to get it used?

Officially, Verizon is out of stock temporarily. IMO, they seem to be stopping support if the platform.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Google just bought Softcard, so I'll probably have to stop tapping to pay next month.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Rip Testes posted:

Someone explain XBox Music to me. My 920 USB charging port fried overseas so I picked up a 1520. I had an extensive collection of albums dl'd from Xbox music. I have tried re dl'ing them, but in many cases the full album doesn't appear available anymore.

Now despite my 920's USB charging port being melted, the phone itself is still fully functional via charging with the charging plate. The albums that are only partially available on the 1520 still exist in full and are totally playable on my 920. Why? Is there a way to transfer that music to my 1520?

Contemplating ditching my Xbox music subscription and giving Spotify a shot.

Xbox music is just DRM and checks to see if you ever added a song to your collection. If you have the files you can play them on any device that has been authorized. You can plug your 920 in to a PC, open the music folder, and copy the songs. Then plug the 1520 in and drag the albums onto the 1520.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Rip Testes posted:

Someone explain XBox Music to me. My 920 USB charging port fried overseas so I picked up a 1520. I had an extensive collection of albums dl'd from Xbox music. I have tried re dl'ing them, but in many cases the full album doesn't appear available anymore.

Now despite my 920's USB charging port being melted, the phone itself is still fully functional via charging with the charging plate. The albums that are only partially available on the 1520 still exist in full and are totally playable on my 920. Why? Is there a way to transfer that music to my 1520?

Contemplating ditching my Xbox music subscription and giving Spotify a shot.

Xbox music is just DRM and checks to see if you ever added a song to your collection. If you have the files you can play them on any device that has been authorized. You can plug your 920 in to a PC, open the music folder, and copy the songs. Then plug the 1520 in and drag the albums onto the 1520.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Rip Testes posted:

Sounds like I'll be ordering a new shell and internal USB charging cable to repair my 920. Can't connect it to my PC until I fix the melted port.

You can also upload the music to OneDrive using the files app from Microsoft. Open the music folder, select the albums, tap on share. You can also email yourself.