Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

BabyMauler posted:

Really sad that Music does not have a live tile anymore.

Yeah xbox music for windows phone is almost as bad as xbox music for windows 8.

I'm not liking removing old stuff in favour of the new. I know you guys are jizzing all over the notification center, but they also removed the notifications on the me tile, so my workflow is gone. Also great WP features that are dead: multi-service posts, facebook chat in messaging, and apparently moving the cursor around in ie11 what the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
What's IE doing in the background? I just went into battery sense and saw it was numero uno and had background task permission.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

...with a ridiculously tiny control. Since you can drag by holding the panorama view anywhere

Like literally in the first paragraph in the documentation for panoramas is don't use panoramas everywhere they are mostly useless

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

EdEddnEddy posted:

When in the world did they change the text input cursor from showing up above your finger to easily place it (ala WP7+) to the new lovely method of right below where you can't see under your finger (ala poo poo Android)?

Why in the hell would they go to a inferior method since it makes you have to tap around until you actually get to the space you were shooting for, vs the old method that had it easily snap to text, and being above your finger you could actually see wtf you cursor is doing.

WTF is with this regressing tech BS that keeps happening to this fine OS. Dammit! :psyduck:

yeah, its almost like belfiore is only good at making presentations and not running a phone division

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
My alarms work now, so that's something

OldPueblo posted:

*Tap once on a word to select it.
*Tap a second time and the cursor will appear at the beginning or end of a word depending on which side of the word you tapped.
*Now drag to final destination sideways.

This to me seems much faster overall, and more reliable.

I don't find it reliable at all. At least half the time it selects a nearby word on that second tap so I end up tap tap tap grrr tap tap there it is. And like ededdandeddy said it's under my thumb now, not above where i can see it.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Some official specs on those new phone: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/06/05/new-partners-announce-windows-phones-at-computex-2014.aspx

Decent for what they are I suppose. :)

Edit: Still can't get over the name of the Yezz Billy 4.7

Awwww yezz motherfuckin windows

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
i should submit a request to fire the Xbox music team

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Wheezle posted:

In case anyone still cares, Facebook beta app as been overhauled.

Still can't fire-and-forget photo uploads. Why do i have to babysit the upload screen in 2014? Goddammit Facebook are you actively trying to get me of your platform?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Why not direct upload from the photo album on the phone? You don't have to babysit them.

That's what I do, but "share to Facebook" just opens the app. I hope this isn't a sign of sharing services to come.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

BonoMan posted:

that's odd. You on 8 or 8.1? I'm on 8 and "share to Facebook" just uploads it right then and there.

8.1. Hope you enjoy this peek onto the lovely sharing future.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

LifeSizePotato posted:

A lot of my complaints about WP stem from my impression that nobody at MS actually uses the phone and thinks about how they'd improve anything. It seems like everything is created in a sealed office somewhere, and nobody is ever out with their phone saying "I wish it could do this useful thing" or "why does it do it like this, this is unintuitive and clunky" and then making actual changes happen.

This is the scenario I believe, because I don't think anyone at MS ever looked at their phone and said "I wish I could not send more than 5 images to Facebook at a time, and I wish I had to sit and babysit the upload or lose the progress because it won't do it under the lock screen. In fact I wish this entire progress was more unintuitive and clunky!"

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Stick100 posted:

It's even crazier than that I don't have the source at hand but in well monetized F2P games it's actually .15% that's responsible for 50% of all revenue.

EDIT: Oops your source was the very study that .15% of all users are 50% of all revenue.

I wanna see a study about how much the "pain" contributes. Like if dungeon keeper mobile worked the same as on PC and then added gems for bigger bonuses/payouts/special things, would that 1.5% still pay? Is the game-torture actually a significant driver for revenue?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Drastic Actions posted:

It gets album art from three places, Deezer, Xbox Music, and Last.FM, depending on your location. Right now my app tries your find your language local and pick the best service to start looking first, then it goes to the others if it can't find anything. If you're in Europe, it most likely goes to Deezer first, then Xbox music, then Last.FM. My phone is set in Japanese, so it goes to Last.FM first, since the other services usually don't return anything useful otherwise. If it did not get anything, it turns the Responsibility Scallop. You can change Artist and Album art by holding down on the Artist/Album and clicking the change button.

Right now it does not use embedded album art, because the Windows Phone thumbnail API never returns it. It's an option on a music file to get it, sure, but it's always null. And as far as I can tell, that's a problem every music app has. I could work around it by telling users to put a "folder.jpg" file in with their music folders for each album, if it's not already there, but that's lame.

Yeah I dunno, xbox music & mix radio both pick up the embedded album art just fine. I really noticed it since I have a lot of obscure crap. Some of it is still boneheaded, like it's Bonnie Tyler's greatest hits, not Guns n' Roses'.

Best bad match: Canadian 80's hair metal replaced by anime bunny girl. No clue how it picked that.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Drastic Actions posted:

Again, I would not put it past myself to be doing something wrong, but I just tried StorageFile.GetThumbnailAsync again and it's still not getting anything, it just throws. The exact same code works on Windows 8.1, so I'm guessing it's a regression on Windows Phone 8.1 :shrug:. Every other solution I've seen so far is to ignore using that and either use another library or roll your own embedded image method.

I wouldn't imagine it would be in the file thumb since it's part of the mp3 tags... That sounds more like a helper progression added into windows proper. Msdn mentions AudioTrack.AlbumArt as the way to get embedded album art (which makes sense to me since you'd have to open the file to get at it)

quote:

EDIT: And if you were talking about my app, what band was it? I'm interested to know why it did that. The point of my algorithm I'm making is even if what you have is obscure, it should find something (as long as they are popular enough to be on one of those three services in some form). If it's getting random poo poo, something went wrong.

Or I can replace the not found artist/album art with anime bunny girls, which knowing me is much more likely. Thanks for the idea! :v:

The band is Kick Axe, for the anime bunny girl.

It seems to get confused about Title vs. Artist. Like, In The Heat Of The Night by Pat Benetar shouldn't get In The Heat Of The Night by... I dunno who these guys are, but it looks like Stargate cosplay. People have, like, actually heard of Pat Benetar.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Drastic Actions posted:

That's for Silverlight, it's not support on WinRT.

Edit:

Worked for me the first time :shrug: It searches for artists by their name. It searches for album art via the artist name AND album name. But this is using Last.FM, so maybe Deezer or Xbox music is screwing up? I'll check when I get home.

Hell yeah, that's the right guys! You can tell by the hair.
I dunno why I got differently:

You're right about that method, though. WinRT version is... hosed?

BONUS STARGATE

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Doomsday Jesus posted:

The phones look fine, but not necessarily what I would like. Honestly, I'd love to see an upgraded 1020.

I'm an idiot and want an updated, high end Lumia 800. Sub-4.5" screens for life, yo.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Guillermus posted:

I can betatest it and, being a non-metadata user I can certainly make an effort and update some of my albums. I'll send my MS account username via pm.

Edit: What do you guys/ladies use nowadays to edit mp3 tags/metadata? I'm still stuck with winamp and only bothered to edit all the info of like 30% of my huge mp3 collection.

mp3tag for lyfe

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

codo27 posted:

I switched to US to try Cortana, switched back to Canada and it disappeared again. Any reason not to just leave it on US?

Nope. I dunno how it is on yours, but on mine I have only "speech" set to US; everything is otherwise set to Canada.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

radiatinglines posted:

Thanks guys.

I got readit and it is actually pretty badass so far. I tried the other SA app that is just called "Awful." and it loads a lot faster and looks good, but throws up errors like "out of memory at line 1," which mean nothing to me.

I also got quickplay pro, and it looks pretty slick, but sadly you can't use swipe gestures. I like to be able to take my phone off hold, swipe the next song, and put it back on hold while driving without having to look down at all.

I just turned on the mobile theme in the forum settings. It works pretty good. Unfortunately it's desktop first, so you gotta watch it be desktop view, then pop to mobile.

quote:

Also, there's no quick option to shuffle all of my songs. I don't like having to go to "songs," pick one, and turn on the random switch. The shuffle button on the homepage and "go to album / go to artist" option in now playing in the google music app can't be beat.

It's really frustrating to get apps without these QoL features that I have come to see as basic poo poo from apps at this point. I feel like I've stepped backward in time loving around with these things.

That button is on the bottom of the "Collection" section. I'd say "so there!" but it's 2 swipes in either direction so it's not dry useful. The button used to be right on the first screen, but it was lost in the great music reaping of 8.1

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

ljw1004 posted:

The main problem, as always, is that with 10k+ tracks (including many audio-books and recordings from radio) the "album / artist / song" way of browsing music is inadequate. I need Folders. So I'm still using "AV Cloud" for OneDrive music, on WP8 and Windows8.1. It works well enough, but it's a pain that every bloody time you launch the app you have to renavigate to the "Music" folder. Also it never caches anything. Oh well.

As a disruptive hipster nerd, my first thought is: is it really Folders you need... or a saved query?and possibly a way to custom tag your music with a "folder name"

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Did anyone else wake up this morning to find their Outlook.com account was no longer syncing their Twitter account to their phone, so the already-anemic WinPhone client doesn't work at all? Or is it just me?

ETA: Twitter is still showing up as a linked service on Outlook.com, but no sign of it on my phone whatsoever. Can't add it as an account, since its not an account type on WinPhone 8.1 :(

Install the twitter client and it'll add itself back into the people hub. You never actually have to open the app specifically just to read tweets. It will reroute any tweets you click on into the app but they're tweets so you only need to do it if there's a link you want to click on. Also, it doesn't do notifications because suck.

~ app centric eco system: where the things you love are tied into a lovely app ~

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Cortana can speak in the MS-DOS app, immersion ruined. :mad:

If you choose Sound Blaster. You don't remember Dr. Sbaitso?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Watommi posted:

Is this where we ask stupid newbie questions?

Just got a windows phone (the lumia 640)

Trying to update apps, it tells me to sign into a microsoft account. Login, and it wants me to verify my account. I get a verification code emailed to me.

I go to enter the code...it's a box where I can enter the code, and the keypad that pops up is the phone version (numbers, with small letters underneath)

There is no "enter" or "done" or "go" button, either on the screen portion or in the keypad portion...so I can type in the code, and then I can sit there and look at the screen, but I can't continue. This is bizarre but I can't figure this out.

What the gently caress.

The "next" button is behind the keyboard... press "back" once and should just close the keyboard and reveal the next button like a bad magician.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

clandestine cactus posted:

In this post, Drastic Actions shows what every software developer thinks about fixing issues in their software.

The internet has become a strange, strange place over the past 20 years...

Hahahahah you've never worked in large organization enterprise software. There are no bugs and if there are blame someone else, probably an unrelated vendor. "oh yeah it's probably that last patch to your email system that's loving it up"

I don't miss that industry.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

clandestine cactus posted:

Huge smartphones are the best smartphones, but nobody ever realizes it until they get used to one and then hold a smaller one.

conversely, after getting used to my "slightly larger" lumia 830, I miss my lumia 800 that much more when I hold someone else's iphone 4/5.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

loquacius posted:

I've been hearing that flagships are coming for a while and am basically in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode at this point, glad to hear that Satya is still focusing on it and those "tough decisions" he's been teasing didn't turn out to be "cancel all phones forever" though :)

but also, i don't think Nadella actually understands half the words that come out of his mouth so

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

.Tim posted:

Big difference between just not selling something and blocking it.

it's less blocking and more like CDMA is like the old cable tv decoder scheme. "Yeah you just have to get your box authorized. No, we can't authorize a box not in our database. The ones we SELL are in our database. Yours is fully compatible and even the same make and model as the ones we sell? Well, why don't you buy one of ours? I can authorize that!"

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Maneki Neko posted:

Sadly the best results I've gotten out of the stock podcast app is finding the URL in iTunes and pasting it in, although that was 8.1. :(

that's how podcasts are supposed to work. copy rss url -> paste -> save. blame the idiot podcasters who don't have the url in a convenient place for copying for loving up the system, not microsoft.

/old-man-who-argued-rdf-wasn't-going-anywhere-in-university-then-some-rear end in a top hat-based-the-first-version-of-rss-podcasting-on-it-and-made-me-look-the-fool-until-everyone-switched-to-atom-feeds-and-rdf-sank-back-into-obscurity

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

ljw1004 posted:

And two of them didn't work if the URL returned a 3xx "redirect" status code.

goddamn it's basic http it's only been around 20 years.

if (StatusCode!=200) throw new Error("Whoops! Eat poo poo! I'm a lousy programmer!")

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
am I the last to notice the current version of outlook mail re-adds linked inboxes? frickin sweet

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Drastic Actions posted:

And despite what they say, I still don't see how using continuum fits into business yet. Like, you still need to have a keyboard, mouse, miracast dongle, and monitor to make this setup work. So unless you happen to have this stuff around, it's still kinda pointless. I can see it as a good thin client though, especially since the remote desktop app is out, so if you go to work and plug that in, and then remote to another computer or use your phone as your only computer, maybe it would work better.

Definitely for thin clients, but some users just don't need anything more than email, web, and office by nature of their jobs. Another thing that's happening is a lot of LOB stuff is going web-based since users want to BYOD so a good browser is really all you need to do your work. Anyone who doesn't BYOD gets a continuum setup and you've got your workstation and corporate phone covered.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

benitocereno posted:

I'd think that qualifies, especially for anyone concerned with what Microsoft thinks about developers :). They have been killing it this build.

when ballmer bolted up and down that stage screaming developers developers developers, he meant it.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
People app made the phone, man. All my facebook and tweets in one place, bypassing the ads and curation algorithms? Yes, please!

And if you were an old-school WP7 guy who bought into the whole inversion of control concept (you don't open an app to X your friend, you open your friend to X them) like me, people hub was a core example of the windows phone philoso oh god what have they done to this operating system you maniacs you blew it up drat you drat you all to hell

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Drastic Actions posted:

That's why it doesn't exist anymore.

Yeah I know :( but I wouldn't mind having it all in one feed still even if I get the ads and curation, I think. I mean, it's better than multiple apps with ads and curation, right? but then they'd complain about "branding" or whatever horseshit hate-on about twitter not being light blue then you're looking at your timeline or some poo poo like that

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The current Insider build on my 640 is running like absolute trash. Awful Reader isn't even loading, everything else is crashing frequently and Edge keeps reloading pages (even lightweight ones like news articles), usually before crashing. App resuming is almost non-existent.

I had that too. Had to do a phone reset but then it works fine.

Except Edge reloading on pages. Even my surface pro 3 does that now... I think they broker the browser at some point.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

OldPueblo posted:

<outlook for android sucks poo poo>

oh holy god yes. I mean, when it works it works almost as well as outlook for WM, but when you step outside that zone of workiness mother of god

I have the similar shenanigans
* stupid contact garbage from above: if you fire up your old lumia and make changes on there it'll update quickly on both phones... I don't think two-way sync works right on android
* can't add or edit reoccurring events (I fire up the old 830 to do that)
* will corrupt my IMAP account settings: you have to remove and readd the account. if you do it wrong, it won't work because there's a copy of your settings on their server (???) and you need customer support to delete it on their end for you

I'd almost go back if I haven't sworn off phones over 4.75" and also WM10 is so inferior to WM8 in so many ways it makes me cry just using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

YeahTubaMike posted:

The width of the Snooze & Dismiss buttons combined is approximately the length of my thumbtip. Everyone's their most dextrous when they're half-awake, right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, having to be surgically precise when deciding whether to snooze or dismiss sucks rear end, but it is probably the biggest complaint I have about my phone.

i swear to god the entire of windows 10 mobile is made by people who have never used a phone with their fingers