Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Wheezle posted:

Clearly you've never been to WPCentral.

Maybe I have low standards, but I find their reporting to generally by pretty fair. They complain when they should complain. The main difference between them and a "real" news site s that they pick up even the most insignificant bit of news/rumor and after complaining they tend to put a more positive spin on thing.

My wife's phone received an OTA update yesterday. For moment I thought it was an early release or something but nothing seems to have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Their reporting is ok. Their forums though, let's just say they that by the sound of things they are F5ing every news source even remotely related to WP8.1 whilst waiting for this developer preview to come out!

Personally I think I'll wait until tomorrow when they have finished single handedly destroying Microsoft's servers or something.

Edit: Also, my habit of starting new pages just isn't stopping any time soon. :iamafag:

Wheezle posted:

They're okay. I was referring more to the community there. The kind of people who respond to comments they agree with by saying "+920/1020/[some other Nokia model number]".

Ah, that explains that. I occasionally glance at the forums/comments and quickly back away. It seems to be inhabited by fanboys for the most part.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If I read it correctly here the me tile doesn't give updates anymore?
Does it even have any use left?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

General E posted:

Nope! They also removed the ability to post one update to multiple social networks.

To be fair, I don't use the me tile all that much. My friends and family have their own tiles, so I wasn't dependant on it for updates. Any posts I make were usually pictures or images which I make from the photohub. :shrug: Links I find and share are sometimes shared from the website itself.
As long as we can remove the Me tile from the frontpage I'm not sure if I will miss it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

Or just turn the ringer/volume off? My phone sits 12" from my head every night and with the volume muted, it doesn't disturb me at all. If it lighting up is a big deal, just set it face down.

So you're asleep, the phones sounds are all off. Why keep it on than?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Serves as your alarm? Caller breakthrough? Could be any number of reasons.

Most importantly, though: "Why not leave it on?"

At least in 7.8, if the sounds are off, everything is off. So no reason to keep it on.

I turn my phone off, I have a real alarm clock. And depending on usage I can get through the weekend on a single charge. :smug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

A mobile phone game where you tap things? How innovative. Without joking though, the multiplayer tapping game sounds intriguing.

Anyway, thank you for this and further posts, it was very interesting to read.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yesterday I saw my first ever commercial that had a windows phone marketplace logo next to the Itunes store and Android store.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

the verge posted:

Microsoft is planning to release its first update to Windows Phone 8.1 soon, and the company has started detailing some of the upcoming features to phone manufacturers. One of the main visual changes with Update 1 is the introduction of folder support, allowing Windows Phone users to drag one Tile on top of another and create a folder to organize apps. It’s a feature both Android and iOS have had for years, so it’s encouraging to see Microsoft is finally closing this gap.

One of the more interesting features with Update 1 is support for interactive case accessories. HTC, Samsung, and LG all use cases that wake phones up when they’re opened, or even display information on a phone display when a case is in use. Microsoft is planning to allow phone makers to do the same for their Windows Phones, which should significantly improve case support. The Verge understands that HTC is currently testing a version of its One Android handset designed for Windows Phone, so this case support could pave the way for HTC’s Dot View case with its upcoming Windows Phone.

Other improvements include a phonebook entry for Cortana to allow car owners to trigger speech within their vehicles, support for the 1280 x 800 screen resolution and 7-inch devices, a medium Live Tile for the Store app, and Voice over LTE (VoLTE) support. Microsoft has finalized Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 internally, but the company has not yet announced its existence. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that Microsoft plans to release Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 to developers possibly as soon as next week, or within August.

Nice,but how about first rolling out 8.1 to everyone.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Yeah, lets have all the programmers sit idle and contemplate the AT&T rollout process in silence, that seems the more appropriate route of action.

Not everyone has to go through American providers but still have to wait. ;)

Still, I do look forward to see how quick they can get this out. I wonder if they've been ramping up the speed.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Stick100 posted:

No no no, Win Mobile had to die. Everything ran all the time and required massive management of processes. It also was still pen focused which would have been completely inappropriate for a touch based OS.

I was an early WP adopter/developer and the second generation Win Phone 7 handsets was probably when MS was in the best position (I had a Lumia 710 and it was a pretty decent experience). The phones ran well did most everything and were pretty snappy. Apps were starting to get there and you could make money.

Then they did a total reboot again, devs didn't feel like waiting for the third reboot so everyone jumped ship. Now Threshold/Win 9 will likely be a third reboot even though now we have universal apps there still is significant differences between the platforms Desktop/Metro/WP under the hood.

I'm still running a 710. I was holding off on buying a replacement until some decent announcements. (Un)fortunately no such luck, so I'll stick with my aging phone for another year at least. I'm really starting to notice the age now though, it's even refusing to load embedded youtube movies these days. Not that I used that feature much anyway, it's just a bit annoying whenever I do want to use it. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

I find myself missing my Lumia 900 from time to time. How much stuff (app wise) still supports 7.X?

I have no idea. I don't use that many apps.
I occasionally watch some netflix on it, I have a few games but the only ones I ever play are text games from delight games for when I have to wait for the bridge to close, a tv guide and when I´m on holiday I rarely boot up Nokia Drive. Oh and Whatsapp of course. Whatsapp still updates their app. This all works at least.

I tried the awful app, but found just using the browser easier. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

benitocereno posted:

Yep - pretty sad. I understand why (some) developers like the convergence because it makes life easy, but it's good to have competition. I like IE11, but the change is probably for the best I guess. It's also interesting that companies still work to implement iPhone specific sites when Android almost always carries more traffic (you think they'd make "data driven decisions").

Not sure how I feel about the HTC W8 - looks nice, but I'm uncertain they'll provide the support that Nokia will. Guess time will tell; I really want a new version of the 1520.

Yeah, the mobile market is kinda crap.
Developers prefer iPhone due to easier standards and most having an iPhone themselves.
Meanwhile 70% of the population has Android ensuring that it is hard for competition to gain a foothold.
It's either go with google or pay extra for the brand and get an iPhone. :shrug:

I would love the HTC phone, but I think that I would miss the camera button too much. It's my most used function. The moment my hand goes in my pocket I push the camera button ensuring that the camera app is ready to go by the time I've leveled it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

I keep thinking/hoping that waiting will be worth it because the next flagship phones will be set up for Threshold which will have so many awesome new features and capabilities...but then I remember it's Microsoft and to never be excited about anything.

Come on man give them the benefit of the doubt. You know they will deliver something awesome sometime within the next 10 years. :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I always have my ambient lightsensor turned off. The thing drives me crazy. I'm reading at perfect when suddenly everything either brightens or darkens depending on the clouds in the sky. It's distracting.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

At IFA, Nokiasoft announced the 730 and 830, which you can read about in their blog: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/morelumia/ They look solid for their price points.

What's of more immediate interest is Update 1 and Nokia Denim: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/ basically, better and faster camera, always listening Cortana with "hey Cortana," and Bing apps on the glance screen, like weather updates. Q4 2014 including carrier testing.

Also the 735.

The biggest question though, why isn't there a camera button on those things. :argh:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My wife's phone for some reason turns the speaker on when she boots Whatsapp. You always hear a faint sound of static when she's using it. Does anyone else have this?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

I was concerned when he mentioned that 10 is the new Windows Phone OS, and also that 10 is due "late 2015." I thought we'd be getting flagship "Threshold" phones in the spring.

WP10 will probably continue the proud tradition of playing catchup to 1-2 year old iPhones and Androids.

I don't understand how that is going to work with the chipsets. We now have 8.1 RT/WP for ARM and 8.1 for intel. Will we get a 10RT which will run on Phones and Tablets?
On the bright side, that's one OS less. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Ladies and gents, the Microsoft Lumia 535:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/the-lumia-535-is-the-first-microsoft-branded-smartphone/

Hopefully it will be more broadly available at some point soon, it seems like a great little entry level smartphone.

Is there a camera button. :ohdear:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

No, but if you look at the second pic in the gallery there is a built in folding lid/cover for the screen - If they add this to a more expensive phone I could see it hosting a keyboard like surface tablets have, but in the mean time this looks like a great first phone for a kid - harder to get a cracked screen.

I want my camera button. :smith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

It was 5 units by 11AM - the store opened at 9.

Motorola isn't really very widespread here - None of the 3 main carriers are currently selling a motorola phone. I suspect you'd have to get it as a grey import. We only get the phones that the reps from the 3 carriers send us, (these are prepaid, but come with sim card) plus a very small handful of unlocked phones. The biggest brand in Android is Samsung, followed by HTC, then an assortment of Sony/Huawei/carrier branded stuff. Our android lineup is about 5 different models of samsung poo poo tier junk, plus a few Huawei and Alcatel bits and pieces and I think maybe an HTC phone.

This is an example of one of our better android phones:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_gio_s5660-3741.php

It sells for a good deal more than a 530, and gives you an idea of what our 530s are competing with.

Though I can't give you sales impressions, it's pretty much the same where I live. There are a lot of ads for cheap Lumia's and while most stores sell Motorola I've never seen one in the wild. Motorola just doesn't have any real brand awareness here. Not that I see so many Lumia's, but I do see them occasionally. Majority is Samsung.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Uthor posted:

The Play Store is how Google controls Android. The OS is open, but the store is not and more and more of their apps are becoming Play Store apps. That means they can update the apps without updating Android (yay!), but also means that you have to meet their criteria to get access to the Play Store and the Google apps (boo!).

I keep waiting for the EU to act on that deal considering they same to enjoy targeting Google at the moment.

My old 7.8 phone is starting to act up. Does anyone have any experience with the internet connection becoming unstable? Every instance of an app that needs internet needs to be refreshed before it can access it and it's really starting to interfere with Whatsapp.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Odd question. With the whole "unified" (wrong word I know) appmarket think they want to have for windows 10.
How is the appmarket in windows desktop 8.1 doing? :confused: Is it such a booming business, because I just can't imagine it being such an app magnet. With every PC coming with several perfect browsers and plenty of screen real estate and no battery worries.
That's not even going into how many normal programs there are where people don't have to pay MS a small hosting fee.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Uthor posted:

What do you Windows Phone users think of Microsoft investing in Android ROMs? Any worries?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/microsoft-to-invest-in-cyanogen-hopes-to-take-android-away-from-google/

In addition to what's already been said you could also see it as an attempt to get goodwill. There is a good reason why people are rooting their devices with Cyanogenmod. I don't think anyone will ever see it as good will though. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

loquacius posted:

I'm not sure how a forked Android that doesn't get Google Play is better for Microsoft or WP users than WP actually :confused:

I guess they wouldn't have to devote resources to OS development but they'd have to start from scratch on their app selection and it wouldn't get them any more marketshare

Aren't they going to have those coders "left over" anyway? Windows 10 is supposed to be for all platforms at the same time, so I assume that there isn't a separate phone team anymore.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
How fast is the 930's camera and how good is it at catching images of kids bouncing around doing kidlike things?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pipski posted:

It's good, but I don't know that it's any faster than other mobile phone cameras. It's got a burst mode though, which allows you to take a rapid sequence of shots and then magically remove moving objects from the foreground, swap people's heads from one frame to another etc. until you've composed a shot you're happy with. It's pretty neat, but at the end of the day it's still a phone camera.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know. I have a dedicated camera, but I don't always have it with me but I find myself using my phone camera regularly to take quick shots of him or my wife when something fun happens. My current phone can't keep up at all.
I need to replace my current phone, but the way I see it the 930 is one of the best to replace it with currently due to camera and specs. I'm worried about win10 since it gives a big bump to the minimum specs that 735/830 will immediately become sluggish upon update.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

In that aspect, my 1520 can last almost 2 1/2 days with moderate usage. :smug:

But why are you only using it moderatly? :v:

Can we also complain here about how you login to outlook.com? I don't understand whose idea it was that you press login to get a pop up to fill out your emailaddress to get forwarded to a different page to enter your password. It's a failure of usability and the extra pages and clicks bother me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

??? (same on my phone)

That is not the page you arrive on when you type in onedrive.com or outlook.com.

ljw1004 posted:

I hate this. I think it has to do with the fact that there are two completely unrelated "identity services" at Microsoft...

* one is Office365 identity which they call "Work/School identity" because institutions buy a subscription to Office365 and hand out email inboxes to their students/employees. I think they set it up so that an institution's IT department can manage identities/logins themselves using ActiveDirectory.

* one is "Live ID" also called "Microsoft Account" and originally called ".NET Passport". This is a common signin to xbox, onedrive and a load of services. It includes an email inbox, but you don't need to use this, and can often instead just give your gmail email address and ignore the inbox that they provide.

The net result is that when you sign in, the system doesn't know which kind of address you're signing in with. If it's the first kind then they have to do a separate round-trip with your institution's ActiveDirectory system to validate the login. If it's the latter then they delegate it to the LiveID identity services. Well, that's my completely uninformed notion about what's happening. I know nothing about these things and I'm just guessing. All I know is that it's confusing as heck because I have three identities to juggle...

myfirstname@mylastname.com - the Office365 institutional services that I bought for my family so we could all huge and non-gmail inboxes.

myfirstname.NET@mylastname.com - the LiveID I've been using for over a decade, for my xbox and onedrive and so on

myinitial.mylastname@microsoft.com - the Office365 institutional services for my employer (Microsoft)

And something's badly messed up because Visual Studio keeps asking me to re-login all the time, and Internet Explorer point blank refuses to use anything other than my employer's signin unless I clear the cache.

At least that's a reason beyond terrible usability designers.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

I opened up a new window, typed outlook.com, hit enter, and that's what I saw.
That's weird, I always get a splash telling my how great it is to have a windows login. :confused: Now that I try it again, it still does that when I type in onedrive, but not when I do outlook. Progress! Or have I been imagining things and it always only does that for onedrive?

ElGroucho posted:

So, I'm trying to replace the Room functionality with another calendar. I made a separate calendar in Outlook.com for my wife and I, but it doesn't show up in the app.

Is this not going to work? Do I have to share my whole main calendar with her? She doesn't need gym alerts and poo poo like that. Or do I create a google calendar and share that, because that is basically the exact opposite reason I got a Windows Phone.

I have a shared outlook calendar. All I did was add a separate group to my Calender called family, added her as co-owner and gave it a nice gaudy color. It showed up in her phone not much later. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I know it''s not customary to say something positive here, but here I go.

My 930 was delivered last Thursday and I've been toying around with it since then.
It's like night and an early summer morning compared to my 710. It's not exactly night and day, but it's great and fills me with joy. The screen is gorgeous, the camera is pretty much what I hoped it would be (though I still need to learn to use it properly) and 8.1 has filled up the holes I had using WP7.8. (finally I can fill my phone with geek sounds again)
Going from holding my 710 to holding a 930 it feels like I swapped a toy for a tool. I could probably kill someone with this thing. :shepface: I just wish the corners weren't quite as sharp, it's not the most comfortable phone to hold but a cover should fix that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nielsm posted:

Considering getting a replacement for my Lumia 620, the 735 seems interesting. (Apart from the "perfect for selfies!" marketing.) Does anyone have experiences with it?
I think it'd get a full-featured upgrade to Windows 10 as well.

Two weeks ago I purchased a new phone and I spent a long time considering the 735 as well. I didn't buy it and went for the higher model (930). The 735 just didn't seem like very good value for money for me. It has outdated internals and we know the minimum amount of RAM for full W10 is going to be 1 gig so I personally feared that the 735 would go from fast to only average in the span of a year or whenever W10 is released. It is also missing the camera button one of my favorite things about the lumia phones.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nielsm posted:

Comparing the specs and prices of 735 and 930 I just don't see the higher specs to be worth a 115% higher price to me. I might miss my camera button, but can probably live without it.

"Fortunately", in my case I didn't need spend quite that much more than I would've had to spend to get a 735.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Arnold of Soissons posted:

No Snapchat is kind of stupid, but my current phone doesnt have it either so I guess its not the end of the world. Cortana apparently is not available in this country, either. I don't have Siri on my phone now so I don't know if Ill miss it, or if they'll spread it through the EU when Win10 comes out or if I can just set my region to the USA or something.

:confused:

Cortana isn't available in my country either. However I set my country to the UK, my regional format to my own country so the currency and time looks correct and OS language to English which enables it. You can set the keyboard language to your native language as well. So far it has been really good at understanding my English and contact names, but most town names are a lot more difficult for her. I really like having her though since it means I don't have to touch my phone at all while driving and making reminders works well.
Her attempts at parsing messages in Dutch to read it to you are hilarious. I still have no idea what a Batish hub is, but it probably isn't related to someone getting well soon. :allears:
Setting it to US means that you get PM/AM times and no way to change that to proper 24 hour settings.
The only annoying part is that the already fairly unreliable Bing has become worse and Google also seems to look at my phone settings to provide suggestions. Not that I ever use search suggestions, but it just annoys me when it starts suggesting completely wrong locations. Why yes, I'm near Amsterdam obviously I'm trying to find the Starbucks in Milwaukee which is apparently located in the UK. :psyduck:

I don't know which country you're in, but they are beta testing in several European countries such as Germany and I think France. You can get it via the developer preview app.

I've had no problems with the Skype app. :shrug: SMSing and Whatsapping works perfect for me which are the only ones I use. As far as I can tell though, Cortana can't access Whatsapp to send messages. :(
Wordflow was my first encounter with Swype and I have to say that it works really great, the phone has so far been almost perfect at getting the right words based around my erratic swyping in both languages I use. It does make texting a lot faster.

Mapping works good, for the limited capacity that I use it.

I have a 930 and I really like it, it's fast, it feels like you can use it to build a house and the screen makes WP look stunning enough that several Android users have commented on how good it looks compared to their phones. But it's the first high end phone I've ever had so my opinion is probably skewed since I don't have proper reference material and a screen is in my opinion not the best reason to buy a phone.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Microsoft is apparently planning to bring Cortana to iOS and Android:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/report-cortana-coming-to-ios-android-but-why/

This definitely inspires confidence about the future of windows phone.

I don't really see the problem here, not like Cortana will be able to do everything she foes on WP. She just an app on the other systems.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

UHD posted:

Don't really understand the griping about no official YouTube app when MetroTube exists. It's easily the best YouTube app I've ever used, and it's totally free (you can buy the app for a dollar but the trial has no restrictions at all; I went ahead and bought it because it's great).

I think I use youtube wrong, because I have no need for a youtube app at all and the browser suffices for me. :confused: All I know currently is that it annoys the hell out of me on my tablet when I click a youtube video and the thing asks me first if I want to play in browser or leave the browser and go to the youtube app to play it. What benefits are there for me to start using metrotube?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wish Cortana had a separate volume setting. While driving, to comfortably hear Cortana it needs to be in the 25-30 range, whereas any music I want to listen to needs to be in the 15-25 range depending on speed of the vehicle. :(

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Guillermus posted:

drat it, I completely forgot that is april fools, in spain is the 28th December when we do all the silly jokes. I was about to try DOS on my lumia because :spergin:

I wish there was a dos ap, imagine all the odd badly optimized crap you could play with that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

The filterable search box now works on Windows 10 for phones. :awesomelon:

This looks really neat Drastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Windows 8+8.1 has ~15% market share, meaning tens of millions of users, and the store is a wasteland. Why is adding the minuscule WP userbase going to change that? Linking the desktop Windows wasteland to the phone Windows wasteland doesn't get you an amazing app store.

It's been the same dumb story since 2010 and WP7: just watch, WP will take off, millions will flock to the platform, and the apps will rain down from the heavens. I just don't think you should keep holding your breath on this one :(
Why would anyone use an appstore for windows when you can install things normally?