Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Maybe there's another thread I'm not seeing discussion about this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/18/us-nokia-phones-idUSKBN0OY21320150618?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

quote:

Many analysts expect Microsoft to write off all or part of the $7.2 billion it paid for Nokia's handset unit, a deal that left Microsoft with a money-losing business and only 3 percent of the smartphone market.

Microsoft manager Stephen Elop, whom the U.S. software giant installed as Nokia chief executive for a time, is now leaving Microsoft in a sign the company is turning away from the hardware devices business he headed and back to its core software business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I have weather set as my lock screen. I have spent the past week in Seattle and my phone shows every little neighborhood I might be in. However, back home in Los Angeles, everywhere is Los Angeles. My actual home (Van Nuys) has much different weather than Los Angeles. :argh:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Jeherrin posted:

Does anyone have experience of Windows 10 on a 925? It's my workhorse phone, and I'm not averse to using the rollback tool, but if anyone's done it and there are big, big problems with the OS/handset combo, I'd rather know before I set off.

I tried it for about an hour before I went back to 8.1

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
A keyboard can get full? Please explain.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
After 20 months I finally got a wireless charging cover and charger for my 925. And it didn't work out of the box. I did a little mod of putting paper under the contacts and now it works.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I don't like how far from center the camera is. One of my biggest turn offs for the iphone is having the camera tucked in the corner.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Zarfol posted:

Not sure if the "leak" is true but a Spanish site apparently shows the 950 at ~$735 and the XL at ~$835. Granted, that would include the high European taxes built in, but that's near iPhone level pricing.

Not sure if i could pay more than $500 for even a flagship Windows phone. The prices may include accessories such as the dock, etc but still.

I saw some site saying the price was high because it comes with a Continuum set up and a qi charger.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Has the iPhone or an Android caught up with Lumia on audio capture for concerts yet?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Pen support on the xl or all of windows 10?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

badjohny posted:

Well...that puts a damper on it. So I am SoL on t-mobile? Or does unlocked mean I can use it?

It means we'll be paying full price up front instead of interest free installments through T-Mobile.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm sold on the 950 now.
http://blogs.windows.com/devices/2015/10/15/camera-magic-on-microsoft-lumia-950-and-lumia-950-xl/

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://www.microsoftdevicenight.com/RFG/publish/MDN15/

Going to the LA one

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I've got an Alcatel One Touch running Windows 10 from betabound.

It's big and plasticky.

Probably a bad thing, but I let it install the back up from my Lumia 925.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Welp, took advantage of the T-Mobile iPhone sale and joined the dark side. My Nokia days are done.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
No more Here Maps for Windows 10. Glad I got off this platform.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

The Lord Bude posted:

Having made the switch from Windows phone to iOS back in September, the one and only thing Windows does better than iOS (by a huge margin) is the keyboard, and the autocorrect in particular.

Wordflow is on iOS now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

DarkMalfunction posted:

What's more dead, this thread or Windows Mobile?

Clicked this thread for the first time in 3 months, don't know why I'm still subscribed