Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Speaking of Start Screen Backgrounds, I've been enjoying one I generated using PolyScreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

cstine posted:

Blue Skies

My new favorite for sure. Love that hot hot forecast.io data.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

loquacius posted:

Feature request: make the Messaging app stop suggesting emoji when I'm just typing words :mad:

DON'T YOU DARE

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

waffle posted:

Does upgrading to WP8.1 delete apps and app data? The backup/restore stuff in the OP makes it sound like it does, but just want to make sure...

edit: Ah, guess it deletes everything but reinstalls everything? I assume app data is probably retained but live tiles aren't then?

It didn't delete anything for me, there's a migrate step as part of the install.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

loquacius posted:

Gotta be something to do with multitasking -- I noticed that the Background Tasks settings menu isn't even visible anymore.

It's part of the battery sense stuff now.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

wormil posted:

I love Waze, best nav app on Windows, but is there a way to stop navigating short of holding the back button and force closing the app?

Tap in the middle of the bottom bar where it shows ETA and stuff. It'll slide up and you can hit the "Stop" button to stop navigating.

That's also where they hid the ability to select alternate routes.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Thoughts:

- Is what I'm getting after letting it scan my 423 tracks. There's definitely artists after "d".
- No album art shows on the album page either.
- It tried to upsell me street I had already "bought" the IAP and had restarted the app.
- I'd love a "shuffle all" button.

Aside from those mostly minor issues I'm really digging it. Way better than running music onto my phone directly.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Pipski posted:

Did you only add the music to OneDrive just before running the app? I found that it seemed to take quite a long while for OneDrive to index newly-added files in the cloud, even though the files themselves were accessible. They all showed up in the app eventually, it just took some time.

I had uploaded it the previous night. OneDrive showed all the correct metadata before I added it IIRC. Factor Mystic PM'd me and we're talking about it.

FWIW clearing and re-scanning just now fixed my artists list, but my album art is still all just gray boxes. OneDrive shows correct art for every folder.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Quick poll: for people who use a mobile device to listen to music a) how much do you use playlists and b) what format are your (mobile or otherwise) playlist files, if your playlists are files (and not 'whatever spotify is').

Never, I shuffle all always.

Except in Harmony Music, where I usually have to use a genre because it doesn't have shuffle all :(

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

My big beef with the Microsoft podcast app was that it is wildy inconsistent in terms of keeping track of your place in the podcast. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it gets back to "resuming" particularly on low end phones and it loses your place again too. It also syncs with nothing, so unless you only listen to podcasts on your phone you are screwed.

I think most of the griping comes from the fact that it's a lot worse than the 7.x podcast experience (unless you are outside the US, in which case you were screwed).

Resuming has been fixed for me for a while now. Only complaint I have w/ the MS podcast app at this point is that it crashes with a few podcast feeds using HTTP Basic Auth.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/585880417951055873

quote:

@GabeAul - In case anyone missed the announcement on Windows Weekly: We're targeting Friday @ 10:00AM PST for next phone build.

This is the build with support for way more phones: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/27/a-quick-update-on-windows-10-builds-for-phones-for-windows-insiders/

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No Cortana via bluetooth is the only deal-killer for me, too bad.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

ManSedan posted:

Has the mail app or OneNote been updated yet?

Windows Blog Announcement posted:

New mail and calendar apps: Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar are the new built-in mail and calendar universal apps for Windows 10. These new apps bring a fresh UI, with a toggle to freely move between your email and calendar without returning to the Start screen. Outlook Mail includes customizable Swipe Gestures, letting you swipe right or left to take actions like delete, flag, move or mark as read/unread. Also check out the new email authoring experience. Outlook Mail leverages the familiar capabilities of Word to create a richer email experience. You can do formatting tricks like inserting tables, adding pictures and using bullets and text. Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar connects to Office 365, Exchange, Outlook.com, Gmail, Google Calendar, Yahoo!, IMAP, POP and other popular accounts.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/10/new-windows-10-technical-preview-build-now-available-for-phones/

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

clandestine cactus posted:

It uses the shell, yes. But it isn't Atom.

Edit (to clarify):
The editor is mostly based on Monaco, the Visual Studio Online editor.

Code is WAY faster than Atom at loading large files, the editor component itself so much better. Too bad the rest of it isn't as good as Sublime Text, but I'm still really impressed at that editor component.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Please be good, please be released in a reasonable timeframe, please please please please.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

wormil posted:

Well it's still $200+ new but prices are falling, I guess in anticipation of the 640 which are probably going to sell very well.

You guys with 925s, do you recommend an aftermarket case? I'm not clumsy but some of the Lumias are slippery and hard to hold.

I've never seen a 925 case that I wanted anywhere near my phone. All 4 corners have nice dings in them because of it.

It seems like the 925 never got much support from case manufacturers, which is too bad. It's been a great phone.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Anyone taken the plunge on 10136 yet? It's sounding polished enough that I might put it on my 925 for everyday use but would love a trip report first.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

My 925's been in a gears -> reboot -> gears -> reboot loop for the past 4 hours, I don't think 10136 is getting along with it. Anything special I need to do in this case to recover?

Edit: Windows Phone Recovery Tool fixed things right up. Phew.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 18, 2015

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Installed the latest 10 build on my 925 daily driver because I'm... not very smart. It's way better than it appeared to be but I'm still getting lots of weird behavior & stutters. I should probably factory reset it, but the thought of setting up all my email and stuff again has kept me from doing it.

I really, really don't like the hamburger menus. Especially on top of the screen, far from my thumbs. :(

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/12/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build10512/

Anyone want to post a trip report?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Also Harmony Music doesn't restore your collection metadata from backup so I'm now waiting the friggin 30 minutes it takes to rescan. Whoever the moron was that made this app put the cache files in the non-restoring portion of storage. Great move doofus.

:rolleyes: What a doofus.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Latest 10 build after a factory reset is pretty usable on my 925. Lots of fit-and-finish stuff still needing work though, and the lock screen is still really strangely slow.

Also desperately missing separated notifications for my different email accounts. Having them all share the outlook icon, notification noise, and action center heading is a ridiculously bad idea.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Anybody able to get custom ringtones onto Windows 10? I copied them into the Ringtones folder but they aren't appearing anywhere in the UI where I can customize the sounds. File explorer shows them on the phone & and they play fine, but not able to actually use them anywhere.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't use Windows Phone anymore but I think you had to have them less than 30 seconds long and have the genre type set as ringtone, if I remember correctly.

They're my ringtones from 8.1, so they already meet all those criteria.

.Tim posted:

I can't get them to show up either. Even with the apps that say they're for Windows 10 ringtones.

Probably just a bug in this build then, thanks!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Verge has a good roundup of what we know/expect for Tuesday's event.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/2/9438727/microsoft-event-preview-surface-pro-4-release-lumia-950-xl

Also MS has apparently built a new version of Nokia's Treasure Tag, which I never bought but always seemed neat.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-treasure-tag-photos-fcc

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

CharlesM posted:

The agreement with AT&T isn't an exclusive one; other carriers can carry the phone if they want. I presume they would have announced others already if they planned to have it ready at launch, though.

Thank GOD. I was real :mad: about that for a while until it came out that CNET or whomever hosed up their story.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

OldPueblo posted:

Did you try the hold down windows button thing that lowers the screen for one hand? I'm curious how well that works in real world usage. The keyboard is also supposed to be able to shift to one side for better thumb use.

I was freaked out when I triggered that accidentally after putting Win 10 on my 925. It's ok in practice, though the 925 isn't really big enough to need it often.

Still seems like a dumb crutch to make their stupid hamburger-menu-on-top-of-the-screen fixation less painful.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Comments/Posts on Windows Central saying 10572 is a huge improvement over previous builds for perf/battery life. I eventually rolled back to 8.1 on my 925 but probably gonna install it tomorrow & kick the tires.

http://www.windowscentral.com/video-windows-10-mobile-build-10572

I bet I still can't have different notification sounds for different email accounts in Win10 though :sigh:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

ljw1004 posted:

Or, you could get rid of the hamburger and do it some other way! The MS design folks make it clear that they want it to be up to the app author to design their app however makes sense for them. They're not prescriptive like they were last time round. Hamburger has been offered as an option because developers had been asking for it, but there's no mandate to use it. Personally I wouldn't.

Hamburger in the top-left is the actual worst possible place for any control. Ugh. Even on my now-relatively-small 925 it's too far for my gorilla hand to comfortably reach.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Despite verifying that they're all set up to be shown in the notification center all my new mail notifications seem to be permanently broken in WP10.

Anyone else run into this? Do you have a fix?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Tried to buy a 950 today but the line at the MS Store was 25 minutes long so I said "gently caress that".

But now my dinged-up 925 just makes me more annoyed than ever. Camera/Cortana take SO LONG to launch :mad:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Anyone know somewhere reputable to get an unlocked 950? MS Store near me is out of stock, as is their online store. Amazon has some from sellers I've never heard of before.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Snakes in a can posted:

Depends where you live. I shaved like 200$ off my 950xl by buying from a grey importer and I live in aus.

I live in Redmond, 10 minutes from MS HQ :lol:

I was looking at expansys but they've got a big disclaimer about how their stock might be international and that spooked me a touch. I don't know what the differences might be between the official unlocked 950 and an international unlocked 950.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

The super-annoying bug where swipe-typing was failing to add a space between words in Edge and some apps (like Tweetium) has apparently been fixed!

https://twitter.com/SampsonMSFT/status/694636741374771200

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Mr Funkface posted:

Before you ask, WP10 is promising visual voicemail for dual SIM phones which is why I'm persisting.

I have visual voicemail on my dual-SIM 950, but I only use one SIM so maybe that's why?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Mr Funkface posted:

I think it works for 950 and 950xl and others that launched with WP10 for now, they're bringing the others in line as we speak apparently. You running 14267.1004?

Yup.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

http://www.windowscentral.com/cortana-now-tells-your-other-devices-your-phones-battery-low-or-missed-text

This sounds rad.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Another cumulative Win 10 update is out.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...80450492&auth=1

quote:

- Reliability, performance and stability improvements.
- Support for Visual Voicemail on Dual SIM phones.
- Improvements for Bluetooth connectivity, including the reliability of connecting to and staying connected with Bluetooth devices.
- Fix for a problem that caused audio playback to get occasionally interrupted in Groove Music and other music apps when phone display was turned off.
- Improvements for Microsoft Edge browser, including support for configuring a prompt before a file download occurs, support for background downloads, and a fix for a problem where opening a link from an another app wouldn’t load the web page.
- Reliability improvements for Cortana reading text messages aloud and usability improvements for Quiet Hours feature.
- Improvements for Store reliability, including a fix for a problem that prevented some apps from being updated and installed.
- Fix for a problem that occasionally caused some apps to show blank tiles after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.
- Improvements for PC connectivity via USB on some phones that were upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1.

Emphasis mine.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Mobile Build 14322 out for fast ring.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/14/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14322/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

wookieepelt posted:

Same. They also fixed the issue with tapping on a text message from the action center not pulling up the keypad to unlock my phone. All in all, a much better update.

I'm definitely noticing it feeling snappier and a lot of the annoying bugs fixed, but some apps have gotten way crashier for me. Tweetium barely ever loads successfully any more :(