Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just got notified from AT&T that I've used nearly my entire monthly data limit (2 gb) in the first three days of the billing cycle. I have nothing running in the background, do no steaming of audio/video, and basically just spend the day browsing IE and using the People Hub. Are there any sites that collect information on windows phone apps that abuse your data?

Of course it would be lovely if I could use Data Sense, but AT&T....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Not sure what the update is, but my phone just received notification of it (Lumia 920, on AT&T, signed up for the developer preview), and now I'm getting nothing but the gears and a progress bar frozen at around 5%

poo poo.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
You were right about that. Seemed like a fairly major update.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Does anyone who has a gmail account synced to their phone use 2-step authentication? In lieu of Heartbleed I finally changed my Gmail password and enabled two-step authentication, and now my phone won't accept my password (or the temporary 6-digit code they text me). Are they incompatible?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
For all of the really cool things 8.1 brings, it's frustrating that it's a step backward in certain ways.

- As stated, Music is pretty weird.
- Why does Podcasts have to be a separate app?
- Facebook integration has basically been neutered. There is no messaging function within the SMS tile, and you can't even see comment threads on facebook posts in the People tile anymore. I know this is probably at Facebook's request but, seriously.
- Has anyone noticed that a lot of the animations seem a little choppier now? Is this a symptom of the slower CPUs? It's kind of glaring at first.
- To go from having the notification bar never visible to always visible seems like the kind of thing there should be a toggle for. I liked it the way it was...
- Calendar is definitely an improvement, but could still use some refinement.

Otherwise though, it really is excellent, the "Remind me to..." feature of Cortana is a complete game changer for me. They really could've called this 8.5 or 9.0 and I wouldn't have batted an eye. Very pleased!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
You can't browse for new podcasts in the Podcast app. That's dumb.

I understand separating the various core experiences out so they can be updated more frequently than every 18-24 months, but if breaking them up means it takes 6 months to bring them back up to feature parity with the original experience then.... what's the point?

Also, was there supposed to be a built-in app to sync with the Windows 8 reading app?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 15, 2014

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

xylo posted:

It's not Toyota specific. There was a large Bluetooth overhaul and this was a parity regression from WP8. Known issue, CXE is aware -- hoping they fix it because it impacts me also :)

Xylo, per your comment about a lot of the core features being compartmentalized into separate apps for faster updates- does this apply to Cortana too? I'm assuming the updates to the Cortana app will be somewhat regular- how much of logic of that system is built into the OS, and how much is inside of the app? Put in simpler terms, as I get used to her (that feels weird to say), I begin to wonder about what the next logical features for "her" will be, and whether they can be tacked on as simple app updates, or if they will require major OS revisions. For instance, right now any directions she provides are done through Here Drive- theoretically how simple is it to then tack on regular Here Maps directions for public transit/walking?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

MyFaceBeHi posted:

It wouldn't stream mixes that I created either but I found out it was because it logged me out of my account. Try logging in again and it should be fine.

Also, I am finding that it is very slow getting my music, resulting in a blank screen for a couple of minutes.

Has anyone noticed that their battery life has greatly reduced in 8.1? Mine doesn't seem to last any more than 6 hours before dipping below 20% from a full charge, when it would last up to 9 before. I'm on a 920 btw, which also gets very warm even when simply browsing Facebook.

I'm using a 920 on AT&T and have found my battery life has decreased dramatically. A large part of that has to do with needing to leave location on all the time now for Cortana, whereas I used to have location on very infrequently. As well, I think I'm constantly in somewhat low reception, which makes pinging for the location all the more arduous. Also, since I updated the outgoing voice quality has basically nerfed. No one can understand me on my phone anymore. Kinda sucks.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

xylo posted:

This is where field medic will be very useful -- I'll find and find out if we can put out a howto and where to get the logs sent to.

Just to be clear- is this an upcoming diagnostic app that you're referring to or something else?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

OldPueblo posted:

On a sidenote have you guys with 8.1 used the tab syncing feature of IE? It's actually very handy but in true MS fashion it wasn't readily obvious how to do it.

On the phone

Open IE
Click tab button
Now swipe sideways to see a list of all devices with all open tabs showing in real-time

On the PC/tablet

Click the button in IE for a new clean tab
Look right under the squares/tiles, you'll see drop down boxes for all your different devices including phone

In terms of favorites, under the desktop/tablet look under favorites and you'll see a folder called phone. On the phone click favorites and then the folder button down at the bottom to see your desktop/tablet favorites.

I just checked this, and the two devices (phone and computer) don't seem to be talking often- my computer is showing me tabs from 2 days ago. Why is that?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I can no longer make voice calls in 8.1. At first it seemed the microphone wouldn't pick up my voice for the first 30-45 seconds of a call, or at least extremely intermittently. Now after the most recent patch it doesn't work at all. I can hear people on the other side fine, but no one can hear a word from me.

You can re-install 8.0 right?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Xylo, can you tell me the most effective place to lodge my bug report? As detailed a few pages back, the mic on my phone seems to not work during phone calls (both regular 4G on AT&T and Skype). Voice recognition still works seamlessly, but there doesn't seem to be a way for anyone to hear me. I'm left with a broken phone, and it doesn't seem like there's any clarity about whether rolling back to 8.0 is risk-free?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mikser posted:

Did you try a soft reset? (Hold the Volume Down and the Power key until the phone reboots) This fixed the mic problem on my 925.

This seems to have improved it from no audio whatsoever, to faint and broken up, but audible nonetheless. Better than nothing!

OldPueblo posted:

If you have a Nokia device you should be able to use their recovery tool to reimage the latest official release which is 8.0 of course. This means a full wipe naturally, and I don't know if anyone has ever restored from an 8.1 backup to 8.0, so there could be some caveats to that as well. You sure you just didn't have a physical issue that coincided with 8.1? Like sticking the SIM tool into the mic hole instead of the SIM tray hole or something?

It's very unlikely a physical issue. As I mentioned, Cortana can understand me fine, and all voice commands seem to work, it's only when placing calls that the mic acts as though it's not on at all.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
In the update released today, WP8.1 no longer requires Cortana/Location to be on in order to enable quiet hours, thank god.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Guys I think they know it doesn't work well. I think they're smart enough to distinguish between an app that crashes and an app that doesn't.

But keep sending them those requests, I'm sure they'll re-double their efforts.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone else have problems with, what I assume are, group messages. When I receive one it simply says "Get media content now (1kb)" but when you tap on it the same message refreshes, outgoing group messages also refuse to send.

My internet and MMS access point settings are correct, so is there any known issue on WP8.1?

I have also experienced this, for the record.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Yesterday I had an appointment on my calendar with a location, Cortana picked it up, checked traffic, suggested a route and a departure time. The route made sense based on traffic flow at the time, and the leave time was accurate. I get in the car and tell the phone to start voice navigation and Here Drive comes up with a completely different route that will take me through the heaviest traffic flow area. Why the hell can't Cortana tell Here Drive to take a specific route, or even give me the directions natively?

As depressing as this thread is, moments like that end up being more depressing, because I have hard time imagining anyone actually using many of the features in 8.0/8.1 and thinking "this is good enough to ship".

I don't own a car, and live in one of the US's largest cities (which Microsoft has a large footprint in!) Cortana is absolutely useless for directions, because I don't drive. But it still handily reminds me to avoid certain roads on my way home because of heavy traffic :rolleyes:

The fact that the Artist/Album title on the now playing card doesn't direct you to the artist page anymore is infuriating- instead it takes you to the track list of the album you're currently playing (which there is already a redundant button for on the bottom right corner of the album art). So if I play Abbey Road, and then realize I meant to play Magical Mystery Tour, I have to pivot to the main menu, and re-navigate through the artist list. Oy.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 18, 2014

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Allegedly for people on Developers Preview they need to roll back to 8.0 before upgrading, or you can wait an indeterminate amount of time.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

G-III posted:

Microsoft is essentially saying to its customers right now "We will continuously leave a core piece of functionality terribly broken, why? gently caress you that's why."

You do realize that the reason Music sucks right now is because they removed the core app from the OS so that the new app can be updated more frequently right? You understand that the whole point of them making all of this extra work for themselves was so that you can get an improved experience down the road, right? The app is admittedly a disaster right now and there's really no excuse for it, but your strident tone makes it sound like you think Microsoft is just sabotaging their app for fun, when instead its a rough, lovely, broken app during a Developer Preview that will gradually be fixed, and then will have an accelerated update cycle. You don't have to act so personally offended.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

AtomD posted:

Microsoft will probably keep Windows Phone around as a patent donkey. Just develop a lot of tech, patent it and push it to market in a phone. Then charge other companies tons of money to licence your patents for their (Android) phones. If I'm not mistaken that's actually making them more money than actual Windows Phones right now.

You don't need a product on shelves to hold patent rights.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has anyone noticed since getting 8.1 DP or Cyan that their volume has been totally hosed? I've got a 920 (AT&T), and ever since downloading the DP, not only have voice calls been rendered completely impossible because my mic doesn't seem to pick up my voice, but the output on the speakers for music/podcasts/speakerphone/directions seems to have been by maybe as much as 75%- the speaker is now so quiet that I can't listen to a podcast in bed if the fan across the room is blowing on the lowest setting. I'm hoping the proper update to Cyan might un-bork this, but it's pretty goddamn frustrating for my phone to be useless at making calls, serving as voice-nav, or listening to music.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

AT&T 820 & 920 users are getting Cyan finally (assuming you're still on 8.0 and not on dev preview):

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-lumia-920--820-lumia-cyan-update-now-available

So is there a predicted timetable for those of us on dev preview then?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has anyone ever had any issues with their Windows Phone not syncing all of their photos to OneDrive properly? I was recently taking hundreds of photos on a vacation where I was constantly slipping in and out of reception, and some of the photos just never got uploaded- how do you force them?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Is it possible you have it set to upload in best quality? That would force it to wait till you were on WiFi.

Afraid not- also I returned from my trip a week ago and have been on wi-fi pretty much ever since. I may have to manually copy them off the phone and paste them into my OneDrive camera roll folder.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think I just got Cyan... (Lumia 920, AT&T). I got what I thought was the most recent developer's preview update, but on my notification page, it said Welcome to Lumia Cyan.

OS Version: 8.10.14176.243
Firmware Reision number: 3051.500009.1425.2001

Anyone else? Also, what's the arrow that juts out from the wifi symbol mean?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

If you live in any major city there will be an app that it is better then Here Transit. Although Here's interface is pretty nifty.

This is not true for Boston. There isn't a single good app for checking bus times/train times in Boston, not one.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

loquacius posted:

I'm feeling disenchanted lately just because of the radio silence on new flagship-level devices. My contract is running out on my 920 and I'd love to get a better device but on AT&T I think my options are the 1020 and 1520 and neither of them are particularly new.

Very similar situation over here. Since I upgraded to 8.1DP no one has been able to hear me on the phone, unless I'm using headphones. This seems to be true whether or not the person on the other end is using a windows phone. It's incredibly frustrating. I'm on a 920 with AT&T and am also hoping for some flagship announcement for Christmas.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
They're not doing that.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not smart enough to know if this article is off the mark, but it seems like a fairly straightforward and believable explanation to me: http://www.wpcentral.com/why-microsoft-keeps-starting-over-windows-phone

If I'm wrong, feel free to school me.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Arclyte posted:

As someone who is looking to try something other than an iPhone in the next couple of months, this thread is kind of scary :stare:

We're going to be switching to AT&T because I get a corporate discount and $50 toward my bill, and I'm really getting bored of Apple's bullshit so I thought I would catch up on what was going on with Windows Phone and Android. Android is just a confusing mess, as soon as I think I've found a phone it turns out that it is missing a feature or is loaded with bloat, bleh. I was really hoping that WP was going to be the perfect middleground. I love the look of the UI and the possibility of having removable memory (seriously Apple :fuckoff:) but drat, between Microsoft potentially gating with Windows 10 and AT&T's selection, I just don't know. How can AT&T have fewer options for WP than for iOS? And only one (635) is compatible with 8.1? That's crazy.

This thread makes the situation seem a lot more dire than it really is. For the most part I still find my phone (Lumia 920 on AT&T) a pleasure to use.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Zarfol posted:

The Nokia Lumia 830 is going to be :siren:$450:siren: on AT&T.

What the hell? I can buy an unlocked international 930 for $460 off Amazon.

This seems almost too high of a price with the Nexus 5 unlocked at $350?

Well it'll be $100 on-contract. You can bet it'll be $0 after about a month.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Everything I saw performance wise made it sound like a sidegrade or barely an upgrade, so I don't know why you'd go to the 830 from a 920 regardless of price.

I am upgrading to the 830 from the 920 because I have no choice. The DP 8.1 upgrade completely hosed my phone, and since Nokia failed to put out a more compelling option, I have no choice. This is my third windows phone, and it's the first one I'm not excited for.

Also, has anyone found that 8.1 somehow uses way more cellular data than 8? It could be that because I finally have Data Sense I'm much more aware of it, but I used to feel free to check the People Hub and surf the internet pretty much to my heart's delight and never bump up against my 2gb/month limit. Now for instance, my data will say that I have 1.98 gb left, and then I'll check Twitter once (i.e. one refresh of my feed), and open one webpage on Vox and one on Deadspin, and I'll already be down to 1.97. Does that sound right? I feel like every month now I'm getting right up to my data limit, and that is while being conscientious about basically never using data unless I have to. I've done about that much cellular browsing over the last 3 days, and I've already used 25 mbs somehow. What the hell?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Been trying to drag and drop a perfectly well-tagged album from my computer onto my 920 (running 8.1). First attempt only 3 songs made it over. Second attempt and a few songs were added one by one each time I opened the album up on my phone, but somehow only 75% of the album transferred. So all told it took me about ten minutes to put 3/4's of an album on my phone. 8.1 is so painful.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A good percentage of the people I know have recently bought the iPhone 6. Watching them use it, it's hard not to get a tad jealous with how smoothly everything operates. The one thing I always loved about WP from the beginning was how fluid and enjoyable the basic interface was. Ever since 8.1 though, I feel like things have gotten so choppy and unresponsive, it's like I'm using Android from years back. The Podcast App is sometimes unusably frustrating, and even Cortana has a noted delay from the time I click the mic button to hearing the "go ahead and speak" sound, meaning it often takes 3-4 clicks of the button and around 15 seconds of my time (If she gets the command right) to use properly. Similarly, if I'm listening to music, and I try to tap into the Music app from the homescreen by clicking the volume controls and then tapping the artist name to bring me to the Now Playing card, the phone basically shits itself for 3-5 seconds while it swipes it's way through various menus and finally gets me to my desired location.

Between Cortana being sluggish, the Podcast app being downright embarassing, Music still being a shitshow, it makes me really frustrated with the basic functionality of the platform for the first time since its inception. I hope that a new phone and some tweaks bring it back up to buttery-smoothness, because it's that basic usability that makes all of the larger, more-discussed shortcomings over the platform easier to stomach.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 12, 2014

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is the resolution on the 830's screen slightly worse than the 920? I checked it out in the store today and it seemed, for lack of a better description, sub-retina (i.e. some of the icons and text within the tiles was noticeably pixelated). For all of the other "side-grade" specs on that phone, it would be truly disappointing to move to a phone with a screen that's worse than the iPhone 4.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has Verizon said anything about 8.1 and the Lumia 928? This is well-past the point of being ridiculous.

Also:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/11/7377021/ive-given-up-on-windows-phone

Things have gotten really dire. Microsoft needs to throw users a bone pretty quickly to staunch the flow. It's insane that their roadmap between now and next fall pretty much is 1 flagship phone, probably 1 or 2 budgets phones, and a slow roll-out of WP10 that probably won't land on major US carriers until Q4 2015.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Those are fake

http://www.windowscentral.com/psa-those-windows-10-phone-images-are-not-real?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 17, 2015

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Well there aren't many other fan sites to check :v:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Well, count me as one the disgruntled old fogeys who is a little disappointed at further departures from the original "metro" asthetic in the previews today. The biggest offenders being the Calender app and the wallpaper behind rather than visible through the tiles (which I really really liked).

Seems however that most of the blogosphere really liked the new look though. Ah, well.

You're not alone. In this article http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7869441/windows-10-for-phones-features-hands-on there's a few images of the Messaging app (I believe), both the directory of recent contacts as well as a messaging thread- they both look ghastly. Add to that the fact that there's now a left and right swipe in Outlook to flag and delete e-mails (as opposed to the standard carousel), and it seems like the original design aesthetic is being splintered. Outlook looks like something from the new Google design style.

That said, it may be worth it for all of the great new features they showed off. It sounds like they're finally integrating navigation into one primary app- hallelujah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

smr posted:

This view of the calendar looks much more rational/better:

That's not too bad- a dark theme would definitely help (which they are apparently bringing to full-blown Officem so who knows). The enormous amount of white space still looks a bit too much like Android to me which I have a pavlovian response against.