Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wookieepelt posted:

Yeah, I saw that. Well, I'm eligible for an upgrade in October. Maybe I'll look for a cheap alternative. Are 1520s still cheap?

How goes the search for 1520s? My 1020's battery life is pretty random & I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new phone until WM10 is a bit more umm...polished? If that ever happens, that is. I see them on eBay for about $150 but don't know how the quality is.

Edit it: gently caress it, may as well spend $50 extra and buy a new 650 for that price.
Does the 950 ever go on sale?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Whoa the 950 at MS store had mega burn in on the screen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got really pissed and had to fight to get my money back for my Band 1 as they stopped carrying it in the stores and I was on replacement 3 and I didn't want to wait to get a replacement in the mail. They offered me a Band 2 which I took and I'm on my second one after the first one had the battery problem. Oh, it still really doesn't sync in real time like my phone like it's supposed to. I think that's a Phone issue.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wookieepelt posted:

Windows Central got their hands on the McLaren phone with working 3D touch. Looks pretty neat. Could have been something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3naqBqK7mvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSK-XuhUFPU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
WTF, I got a 950, and am trying to add my gmail account, and google's stupid website keeps saying my browser isn't supported. WTF.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Paramemetic posted:

So I need a phone that can type and render Tibetan text. iPhone can do this but I hate being beholden to iTunes. For the last few years I've been rooting android devices but as this becomes more and more involved and I become less and less excited about having to set up whatever I'm not looking forward to doing the dance again. My current phone has a problem with the USB port so I'm going to have to get a new phone soon.

Is Windows phone worth looking at? My only weird app needs are a counter that increments when I tap the screen. If Windows phone uses the same language options as Windows then it should be able to add Tibetan Language without me spending hours doing the root and bootloader unlock incantations so I might actually be considering this.

I looked and I see Tibetian keyboard and maybe you can even set the phone language to that but I don't see it in the list although maybe I'm missing it because the script is unfamiliar to me. Anyways I tried out and I can add the keyboard to my 950 without even resetting the phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there any preferred wireless charger, specifically for the 950? I gave the one I got with my 1020 to my dad.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the Word Flow keyboard out for Android? I'd like to try it on the tablet I got but can't find it in the store.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Pokémon go client?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I convert a living image from my 950 into a video file or GIF?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ljw1004 posted:

Rename it from .jpg to .zip. Unzip it. You'll find two files inside - the JPG image itself, and the MP4 video.

I think that's how it works. What a deeply beautiful hack that they pulled off with the file formats to make it work like this. Much nicer than the iPhone living images which had two adjacent files. It's like inception... the JPG image file is simultaneous a zip file that contains the original JPG image!!!

Thank you!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

isndl posted:

Last I heard the devs pulled the API that was allowing third party clients to work, so unless there's an official WinPhone client now you're out of luck.

Installed it and it works for me :) Kinda slow though.
I'm doomed. I'm like two months late for this craze.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love my 950!! So glad I got it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Captain Pike posted:

I'd like to know this too. The best I can find is searching Flickr for "lumia 1020" and looking at the photos people have taken with it. (They look pretty drat good.) I'm very tempted to buy a used 1020 on Amazon for like $130, but a used iPhone 6 is also fairly inexpensive, at $250. If the iPhone 6 camera is just as good as a 1020, I'd probably get the iPhone.

edit: I know that the 1020 has more magapixels, but if that just means the photos are 'huge' then I don't really care. If it means the colors and contrast and low-light capture and stuff are better, then that is groovy.

I can't compare it to the iPhone but I have a 950 now and it's much faster to start-up and snap photos. The autofocus is a lot faster too, and the phone supports HDR. The 1020 is still great though. Having all those megapixels doesn't help it a lot. I wouldn't judge it by that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's lame. I thought it was pretty well loved. Besides the reliability. I hope mine doesn't break now. I'm on device five or so.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've seen that before on my surface and usually rebooting makes it go away.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love my Lumia 950 lol

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That being said, can I reinstall the default camera app? I think something got messed up. Some of the buttons randomly switched around and I got an error just now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No, there is no option to uninstall it I could find. I want to reset it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The xbox runs Windows 10 also :P It is an x86 processor though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I still love my Lumia 950.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Another dead Microsoft Band (2), still under warranty, but the store doesn't carry it anymore so I have to send it in to repair. Grr..

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On a Lumia 650, are both SIM slots full featured?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've had my phone since August 2016. I don't know why they changed the alarm like that!! It's silly. Changing stuff just because?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Nexus line is known to be unstable and intentionally has a limited life span.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Will Nokia's phone have their pureview cameras?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If I update to the Insider Builds, will it have any updates to Bluetooth compatibility? It says it will take some time for an update. Can I force it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody have an aftermarket head unit in their car they use with a Windows 10 phone?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I mean what is it? The Alpine I got doesn't seem to be and I want to get something else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I reset the phone, I'll try that tomorrow. In the mean while I have bought an iPhone but don't really like it, but it's still annoying to do the sim swap every time I want to try something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rottbott posted:

A Kenwood something or other, but I've had it working with a few different makes before.

I'll return the Alpine, I just didn't want to get another thing and have the same problem if I'm ordering through Crutchfield. Kenwood is what was in there before, it just was very old and had a really annoying interface. I've used the phone with a few rental cars without problem, so yeah.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK, when I reset the phone, it didn't go back from the slow ring, it's still in that. Well I've tried and it almost works, but when I use my voice to reply to a text, Cortana says "Something's not right. Try again in a little bit".
edit: or "I ran into a snag. Try back in a little while."
Right after she asks me what I want to say in my reply. I wonder if it's not got voice recognition on by default.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 9, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK well I got a replacement device because my charger port was loose so no need to figure out how to go back to production :)
Alternate Bluetooth audio worked, although I thought I had tried that, ha.

edit: Why doesn't Microsoft sell a replacement battery for this phone? It's like they hate me.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 9, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, something I should have complained about a long time ago, BUT WHY DID THEY MAKE THE CHARGING INDICATOR TINY AND NOT ON THE GLANCE SCREEN? ugh

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They're in the process of blocking the 8.x version, 10 is fine. You can use IE to message through the website supposedly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well, it charges at 5V, 3A very quickly with the included USB-C charger.

It is not a Qualcomm Quick Charge device, if that's what you mean.
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21346_The_Lumia_950XL_are_not_Quick_.php

USB-C charging is better than Quick Charge though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The supplied charger is 5V @ 3A so it's pretty fast.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Haha I actually bought an iPhone and returned it because I hated it compared to my Windows Phone. I hate the Snapchat guy anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
RIP another Microsoft Band. I think I'll be in the double-digits soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Maneki Neko posted:

They're still replacing them for you? Not a refund?

I do miss the Band 2 :(

We'll see what happens this time. If I go into the store I'm pretty sure they'll give me credit toward a Fitbit. I'll call tech support and have to argue a bit that I don't need to learn how to charge it, and then get an RMA, probably.