Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Any more info? Or is this just a hit and run?

BUILD is coming, so as a windows phone user I am prepared to be disappointed.

Its good you have your expectations set correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Has there been any information about SMS syncing (such as iphones ability to send and receive text messages from a mac)? I notice that my lumia 920 which I upgraded to windows phone 10 and which doesn't have a sim card will attempt to sync my text messages (although its like 20-30 minutes behind).

Hopefully this will be a feature upon release as its one of the few things I truly envy about my full apple ecosystem friends. It'd be a shame (however totally Microsoft) to have Windows 10 and Windows phone 10 run the same underlying code but still be unable to talk to each other.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Tivac posted:

Please be good, please be released in a reasonable timeframe, please please please please.

Yeah. I'm expecting October/November range. Just in time to be eclipsed entirely by the iPhone.

Unfortunately they don't really have a choice. They release Windows 10 feature incomplete and update rapidly. For phones though with carriers blocking updates like Ebola, they have to get everything done. Windows mobile is also a few months behind the desktop based on the technical previews as well

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 4, 2015

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

At the end of days, when life itself is seconds away from extinction, AT&T will announce its US release of the 640 series.

Shortly after that, AT&Twill announce the impending release of the denim update and lumia camera 5 for the Lumia 830.

Microsoft really should consider selling fully unlocked Lumia phones with US bands at its stores and online. It would sell a ton but when your market share is this low, you can't really afford to turn away ardent supports clamoring to buy your products. (please please do this for the upcoming flagships lest AT&Trelease them sometime around May 2016....)

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Stubb Dogg posted:

IIRC it requires display panel with its own display memory buffer so that SoC can shut down completely while glance is still displaying.

I think main reason why 930 didn't have glance was that sourcing FullHD AMOLED panel with internal buffer would've been either too hard or too expensive, as that tech isn't yet used that much in Android world. From what I heard it was cause of intense debate internally too but tradeoffs had to be made.

Thanks for the explanation. I for one would have certainly ponied over cash for the 930 if it had glance. Despite my growing concern about the future of the platform, i'm still rather a fanboy (who at this point has owned a Lumia 900, 920, and 1020 and gotten my mom a 920 then 830)

I'm sure it won't be an issue, but if the upcoming 940 doesn't have glance... eh, who am I kidding. I'll probably still buy it.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

this is I guess a good a place as any to ask this since there basically is no windows phone news. Is anyone else with a grandfathered zune pass having trouble logging in to zune to use their song credits? It keeps saying wrong email/password combo which i'm quite sure can't be it as I use that same password/email to log into windows.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

from what I've read, the windows phone 8.1 method with a separate facebook app which then integrates into the people "hub" is unaffected. Its only the built in integration with the people hubs that's dead. This should mean that windows phone 8.1 and mobile 10 will remain able to automatically load profile pictures and potentially pictures hub will still update.

I actually really value the auto loading of profile pictures. I makes my contact list seem so much more personal.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

MrBond posted:

They haven't done any write off yet, but don't be surprised if one pops up soon. I wouldn't expect much more than the meager effort MS has already been putting in the phones beyond whatever necessary to show off Windows 10 stuff; rumor has it that Satya doesn't care at all about Lumia.

This is interesting because Mobile is so clearly the next big growth area. Mobile development has already paid dividends for windows (ie Cortana, the tile interface). And even if Microsoft is only concerned with people using their services, this is so much easier if people are also using your platform. Apples maps is a great example where it can still get marketshare despite at least initially being much inferior based on being the platform default.

Abandoning phones made by the company formerly known as known will annihilate windows mobile as a platform which really seems like not the correct direction here. If anything, selling phones as a huge loss leader to get people on your platform is where I would go. Microsoft has a billions in cash reserve so its not like they can't handle the burn.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I just purchased a used lumia 930 to temporarily replace my long in the tooth 1020 until the fall flagships. The lack of glance and LTE kept me from doing it early but the denim camera upgrades and built in wireless charging eventually swayed me (I use my phones caseless and attaching the charging case just to put it on the charger defeated most of the point of wireless charging for the 1020)

The particularly model is one I got on craigslist. The seller had purchased it off ebay previously. Honestly, it looks great with no cosmetic damage whatsoever. However it does not charge on either my Dt-900 or Tylt Vu chargers. I'm not sure how this function can be broken without cosmetic damage.

I'm in the US, so there is no warranty repair options. Is there a self fix for this or do I have any recourse to get it fixed?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

What color back is it, maybe he swapped the back cover and didn't move over the QI pad or something. If it's black side trim but green or orange, then the back has been swapped, same if it's silver trim and the back is black. See previous post for how you can order that stuff, check to see if it's missing, etc.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622724&pagenumber=74&perpage=40#post440062607

I actually ordered a green back and all the extra parts to make it complete for my black 930, you could probably do the same. They were easy to mount and then just swap the back to green, my black back stays intact. I could've moved the "modules" over piece by piece but I didn't need to penny pinch it and am lazy.

I pryed off the back cover as per the instructions here : http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20751_How_to_Fix_Qi_charging_on_the_.php

No dice on getting wireless charging back running. Doesn't look like its bee modified or changed by previous owners (i'm pretty sure I was the first to open it) and the wireless charging coil was present.

The first time I put it back, I messed up the flash contacts but got that fixed. Still no Qi for me though. A minor setback while the wait for the fall flagships continues.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I have a 930 as well. On one day it did a battery drain and had to be recharged twice to get through the work day. Every other day I get home with 30% battery left after medium use. Overall I've found it doable for daily use.

Honestly, the music player improvement is enough for me to tolerate a whole lot...

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

xylo posted:

Personal opinion: I wish this was the case. I really do. Things were definitely not getting better and better -- at best it was treading water or falling only slightly. Nokia had a very flawed strategy that's going to take a while to clean up and correct. While it's true we need low end volume to get scale and accelerate growth, the way they were doing it wasn't helping except in a few nitch markets. At issue was the wash of indistinguishable low end devices and nearly complete ignoring of the upper mid to high end segment. Really it's drat near impossible to tell the difference between the 430/435/520/521/535/610/620/630/635, not to mention country specific varies of each of these. Making a phone for every price point on the low end spreads resources too thin. Beyond that, you had a faction at nokia that was (seemingly?) actively working on some counter productive plans. The Nokia X was a huge mistake -- a terrible idea that was going to go nowhere.

I know you probably don't know anything about this and can't comment even if you did, but PLEASE PLEASE, let it be known to the powers that be that messaging integration between desktop/laptop and mobile windows 10 is a killer feature (ala, receive and send text/sms messages from your laptop like ios/osx). I'm alreadly mostly a diehard but this is the closest thing to a make or break feature for me. Every forum and website acts like this feature is fait accompli but I've seen nothing from Microsoft.

It could also give windows phone a marketing reason to exist if the marketing folks decide to advertise on actual use scenarios and features.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

Probably a dumb question, but one could still buy one of the new Lumias somewhere else and activate it on Verizon's network, right?

Probably not. Verizon uses a different voice and 3g technology called cdma. Unless phones specifically have cdma modems which most unlocked phones don't, they won't work on sprint or verizon

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, amidst the news of two new phones, I feel like the bigger news that no one is talking about is essentially the nail in the coffin for Windows Phone and Verizon. It's a total scandal that Verizon gets to use their size to force manufacturers to essentially make phones specifically for their network, and it ends up causing issues like this. It's one thing when you have a successful platform like Android and iPhone where your carrier is less of a determining factor in what phone you're able to get, but for as long as Windows Phone has existed, the experiences for people on the different US carriers has been wildly different. I'm very thankful I switched to AT&T to get the Samsung Focus way back when. It's hard to believe that Microsoft's strategy is to tell two good phones on one of the four major carriers and expect OEMs to pick up the slack for the first time ever in the platform's history.

I also wonder if Panos Panay getting promoted will mean a Surface phone is on the way, and if so when. I imagine the development of the original surface was 3-4 years in the making.

Better than the strategy from the last year and a half of selling zero good phones on zero carriers....

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

loquacius posted:

I think most of that can be attributed to Android OEMs getting comparable amounts of marketplace clout to Apple and not having to take Verizon's poo poo anymore. WP does not have that luxury.

Yup, Samsung, HTC, Motorola can now get their flagships on all carriers. Although it was not always the case. Samsung basically had to produce a different Galaxy S2 version for each company. HTC had various flagship exclusive in the Lumia 900 generation (HTC one X for ATT, One S for T mobile for example).

Since the S4, HTC One M7, Moto X generations though, the android carriers have been able to get it on all carriers.

Sony is interesting because like Nokia it is trying to break into a market where it doesn't already have carrier relationships. Its only been able to get Verizon to carry a very modified (and mostly in bad ways) version of its flaghips. T mobile carried the Z3 but I think has discontinued that. Just shows how hard it is break into carrier stores.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

c0burn posted:

Its no one near Windows 10 on desktop. I'd strongly avoid it on a phone you need daily.

It's not that bad. I've had it on my 930 as a daily driver since 10166 came out. No major show stoppers but a lot of annoyances.

Music app is much faster but the design is too hamburger reliant and doesn't work with Zune/xbox pass yet. Here is an album comparing the current windows 10 Groove client with the android version: http://imgur.com/a/I40GP. The android version hasn't had a UI redesign. I'm not against the hamburger menu as it was initially described (for infrequently used toggles and selections), but currently in the music client EVERYTHING is under the hamburger. There also no swiping for navigation whatsoever. Surely the more used features (such as switching between artist, album and song views) can still be under a pivot or panorama control? Maybe even have the hamburger slide out at the extreme left of the pivot control if that make sense. As it stands, navigation is reliant on small and hard to hit touch targets rather than easier to operate swiping which is a huge deal if using this while working out or driving.

Periodically the touch screen will freeze after phone calls and requires a reboot

Battery life is worse. Be prepared to charge twice a day if you use it alot.

The swipe keyboard seems much much less accurate. It also prioritizes names of your contacts to a ridiculous degree

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 5, 2015

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

It was hilariously bad. Every browser featured a little blurb mentioning how great of a browser it was...every browser except IE. The IE blurb just said "Internet Browser". They couldn't even be arsed to create a sales pitch for IE.

You're right! That's just like Android and Chromebooks! :v:

EU is currently sizing up Android for it's anti competitive nature and it's going to be really interesting to see what will happen. From what I understand all manufacturers that want access to the playstore are by contract obligated to put google products on the front page and other prominent positions. It makes me wonder what would've happened if Samsung would've been allowed to put their own stuff (no matter how terrible some of it was) on the prime real estate.

I wonder how long it's going to be before the EU also starts targeting Microsoft again since Windows 10 seems to undo the browser bit. I'm a little confused, does Media player still exist?

Google is currently in the opening stages of what looks like at the very least a long if not expensive fight over multiple technologies not just android but also including its core search platform. Here is an article about the current state of some of it: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-08-06/google-s-6-billion-miscalculation-on-the-eu?cmpid=BBD080615_BIZ

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

jeeves posted:

Are there any GSM Nokia phones that have a notification light? Apparently my coworker's Verizon Lumia 822 did, but it seems like none of the rest do.

That's pretty much the main thing I am missing about these phones. I hate constantly having to wake the phone up to see if I missed anything.

The lack of notification lights and the random small apps she misses out on (there was apparently some app for her work conference she went to last week and it was iphone/android only of course) has been the last straw for her, whereas I don't mind not having a huge app store due to less distractions on my phone. However the notification lights I do miss...

Currently not. I don't think windows phone currently has APIS to use notification lights anyway. The HTC 8X had a notification light which only showed charging status due to API limitations. I think windows mobile 10 might include this support but we know pretty much nothing conclusively about that.

Basically, the same answer for all windows phone questions these days, Wait until October or buy an Android device...

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Leaked renders of the upcoming flagships.

Talkman is the one in black. 5.2 inch screen. Blue is cityman with 5.7 inch screen.

Both look..... interesting?
Certainly less distinctive than the 920 or 1020. Basically a combination of 730. And 650 body design with some design cues from the 830 camera (which was itself an homage to the 1020). Unfortunately, neither really looks that premium compared to the iPhone or galaxy series and rumor is they'll be priced along with those high end phones.

Frankly I think the camera ring on the Talkman is hideous and 5.7 inches is probably too big for me. However, this rumor is the smaller version will NOT have built in wireless charging.

Definitely not a home run for Microsoft...

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 27, 2015

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

You have them backwards, Talkman is the black one and Cityman is the blue

I do believe you are correct actually. I fixed my post.

This is problematic... I'd prefer the smaller size but a rather strongly dislike the look of that camera ring.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm sure the innards are great and satisfactory; the externals, the design, the leaks just look meeeh uninteresting. I don't mean metal, I love the 920 and 720 designs with lovely utilitarian tapers and curves, I mean there's just no apparent effort. Flat screens, single radius on the corners, even the renders show them the same size when there's a good 0.5in difference. And the buttons oh lordy power between the volumes +/-, but only for one! The other is different! Having said that these could be cheeky leaks with little to no resemblance to the final we shall see.

furthermore current scuttlebutt is that both phones will come in two colors: white or black. The blue in the leaks is according to the rumors only for the prototype stage. If true colorful designs will be another thing windows phone (or rather nokia) invested heavily in , saw adopted by other manufacturers and has now walked back on.

I hope i'm wrong and they trot out with a cyan 950xl on October 6th however.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Of course. If Microsoft wants people to use their services, they should prioritize platforms with an appreciable number of users.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/apple-maps-google-iphone-users'

A Key Quote from above posted:

ComScore's data suggests though that comparatively few iPhone owners actually take the trouble to use Google's maps rather than Apple's - in part because Apple's maps are the default for any driving directions or map-related search on iOS 6 and above

I offer apple maps as a argument against that. Controlling the platform makes it easier to get people to use your objectively inferior services (apples maps may have improved but at the time, It was immeasurably bad and clearly worse than google maps)

If Microsoft ignores their platform in favor of others, they place themselves in a precarious position of winning and keeping users on another companies platforms. Particuarly since at least one of those companies if not both have or will have competing services in nearly every aspect.

Using services as a way to get people on the windows phone platform seems to me like the no-brained solution. Offer your services on all platforms but for gods sake, make them better not worse on your own.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Zarfol posted:

Not sure if the "leak" is true but a Spanish site apparently shows the 950 at ~$735 and the XL at ~$835. Granted, that would include the high European taxes built in, but that's near iPhone level pricing.

Not sure if i could pay more than $500 for even a flagship Windows phone. The prices may include accessories such as the dock, etc but still.

That includes the 20% VAT so the final prices would be around 588 and 668. I'd expect US pricing to be around 550 and 650 off contract. Still high but somewhat reasonable if it includes a bundled Qi charger and continuum dock (rumored value of bundles is $200).

I get why they are doing this if this is true. They are trying to harp on continuum as the differentiation point. Similar to bundling Kinect with xbox to make people aware of that technology and drive up adoption.
Unfortunately that strategy worked miserably for xbox and I suspect might not work super well here.

Personally I think they'd be better off just selling it for $200 cheaper. 400 and 500 would be extremely compelling prices particularly compared to the Moto X.

That said, this is all conjecture based on an unreliable leak. Those websites not infrequently put up completely made up prices that a higher than what it will end up being for pre-orders.

I wouldn't loose hope yet but be prepared to loose hope on October 6th...

(although i'm enough of a sucker that i'll probably get the 950Xl on release day as long as its cheaper than iPhone 6s+ or galaxy note 5. Sticking with this sinking ship till it hits bottom I guess)

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I can't wait until they announce the phones then say they will be available Q2 2016.

Jeez, stop being so unrealistic... They new Lumia 550 will be available in Q2016. The 900s series "soon" after.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/28/9408773/google-lg-nexus-5x-huawei-6p-pricing

Rumor mill estimates the nexus 6p (the one with snapdragon 810 and 2k screen) to start at $479.

From what I can tell the lumia 950xl will have a better camera (20mp vs 11?) as well as iris scanner compared to fingerprint reader.

It'll be interesting to see how much more Microsoft sets their price but this is a killer price if true for the nexus devices.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

The round profile pictures are especially weird to me because the whole Metro thing is based on authentically digital squares and rectangles.

Metro was generally well received by everyone who used it. The flipside of that indicates why metro is now dead.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Partycat posted:

This build fixed the spazzing keyboard and has improved on performance a ton. Looking good !

Yeah, in general build 10581 has been excellent. I was stuck on 10536 so i'm seeing several builds worth of progress at once but overall, its nearly ready for primetime. Battery life is much much improved and I've had no major bugs in the last few days of using it.

Performance is still a downgrade from windows phone 8.1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fQDgNnf2s unfortunately although not as much as previous. Some of the aesthetic changes I really like (The circles thing is fine by me, the new people tile with larger circles looks better than before) except the lack of swiping for navigation in the music app.

Texting from my laptop with Cortana is mostly seemless although I hope they add the ability to receive texts on PC before release. If the rumors are to be believed that the release date for the new phones is November 16th (which to me seems soon) they don't have much time to add more stuff.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

.Tim posted:

Seriously?

that's actually a very valid question. Best guess is that pre-orders ordered online yesterday will be delivered on the 25th. Pre-ordered later yesterday and today is due December 11th. Pre-orders are currently closed because Microsoft apparently only made like 20,000 phones.

Its entirely unclear when you can walk into a Microsoft store and buy one. On Wpcentral forums, some people have spoken to Microsoft store managers and report it'll be available in stores on the 26th (yes, on thanksgiving...).

Its entirely unclear what putting your name down on in-store preorders a month ago did. It may reserve you a phone in store or it may be worthless.
Its also unclear whether buying in store gets you the continuum dock deal similar to those who pre-ordered online.

I avoided preordering online because I assumed it'd be available in stores the same day that preorders would be delivered. This seems to be incorrect.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

c0burn posted:

I cant believe they are sending out the latest build on actual paying customers new 950s.

Yeah, its clearly incomplete. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Microsoft chose only ATT as a carrier because ATT has been the best of a bad bunch in allowing updates and they expected to need to update the phones extensively to actual release worthy status. The T-Mobile CEO stated that they hadn't declined to carry the 950 but Microsoft chose not to offer it to other carriers.

Good thing i'm holding out for a 950xl which is proving really hard to actually buy.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

The reviews are coming in for the 950. In general mediocre at best which I think is not unfair. My reaction to the verge review is that it was obviously a review by someone not particularly familiar with or a fan of the windows phone ecosystem. He glossed over some things that may have warranted more detail in a phone he actually cared about. In particularly, i'd like to see much more on why he says the phone's camera is slow. All the demo's we've seen are anything but.

That said, I can't disagree with his overall sentiment. For a non-windows phone user, there is no reason to buy this phone at the price it sells it. Camera is going to be comparable to Galaxy S6, Nexus 6p and Iphones. Design is subjectively worse (and I really agree the design is bland and uninspired which doesn't go well with its price). Perforemance and battery life are probably comparable. Continuum is neat idea but for most people, having more appis is a better trade off. Windows hello is cool but that cool factor will wear off quickly in favor of a faster and more functional fingerprint reader. Microsoft app support is as good or better on the other devices. I'd prefer if someone more familiar with windows phone did this review like tom warren but I don't think the outcome would have changed. This phone is not a game changed is is really directed at windows phones fans.

Even then, for its price, its not a non brainer. Some of my favorite features are gone inexplicable like double tap to wake or glance peek (just as google is getting more capable with its ambient display features. Its another 3 steps forward, 8 steps back for Microsoft and i'm not sure how much longer they can continue to do this, "wait for the next thing!, it'll be better we swear!"

As for me, i'm probably still going to get a 950xl but i'll have a long look at the galaxy note and iPhone 6s before doing so most likely.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Spoiler: it won't

Yeah, seriously. Microsofts market share is 1.7% down from 3% in the US based on their shenanigans over the past year ie. not releasing any flagships. Now they've gone ahead and released a flagship that won't bring new people to the platform, with a buggy OS that sacrifices some of that the old stalwarts liked and at a price to make even the most diehard fans rethink. Microsoft isn't playing a long game here, they are just really incompentent with mobile.

I'll be impressived if their market share is above 1% at this time next year when the next "surface phone" is released.

I'm honestly shocked Microsoft released it at this price rather than 150% cheaper especially when google released its nexus prices. I'm surprised they went with think plastic backplates rather than metal or polycarbonate since the backplate is so easily replaceable. It wouldn't have been terrible difficult a few months ago to change that part of the design.

I'm still getting a 950xl because i'm an idiot that's sticking with this sinking ship till it hits bottom (and because HTC is dying, Motorola and samsungs phones don't excite me, Sony phones are silly expensive in the US with no warranty support, and Ios doesn't draw me.)

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

That is only true for America though, it still does better in the rest of the world. :shrug:

Ah, yes. The European, South American and asian markets where due nature of selling unlocked phones, phone pricing is an even bigger factor. Hence why nokias low end blitz was more effective than the US.

Good thing Microsofts new phones are competitively and realistically priced to keep that market share growing!

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Microsoft knows wm10 is not ready for primetime but felt pressure to get flagships out before the holiday period. Hence they priced it so that only diehards who MIGHT tolerate some bugs would buy it now and plan to aggressively drop the price later when its more complete.

I wonder though what the perception of aggressive price drops are to consumers though. It seems likely that the price drops will be perceived as the phone not selling (true) and thus be used as a reason not to buy it even at cheaper prices

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Flagships don't increase market share and don't make money. Only one company makes money on flagships. Samsung, LG, HTC loose money on flagship phones.

The money and market share is at the middle and bottom end of the market where phones are given away free on the lower priced contracts.

I agree with the fact that flagships don't really make money for most manufactors although i'd need to seem some data on Samsung not making money on flagships. LG, HTC for sure are loosing money like whoa.

A recent erricson study (evaluated by wpcentral here: http://www.windowscentral.com/long-term-effects-microsoft-low-end-push

From this it reports that 80% of android and IOs users stick with the platform when upgrading phones compared to 20% of Windows phone users. From that it seems windows phone users are jumping ship in droves.

It also reports that

quote:

When looking into switching behaviors per device vendor and model series, loyalty varied significantly between low-end and high-end models (irrespective of operating system). Owners of high-end models were much more likely to select a new model in the same series from the same vendor than users of lower-end models.

In essence low end buyers are extremely fickle and are not beholden to a platform. High end buys are more likely to stick with the platform. Unless of course you're platform doesn't release new flagships to buy.

The combination of losing fickle low end buys PLUS losing high end buys due to not having anything to buy is probably why windows phone market share dropped in the US.

A low end push can help grow market share but a flagship presence seems to help keep your users. Right now, Microsoft seems to be failing at both.

p.s. I'm coming from this as someone who really really wants microsot to succeed. I just don't understand what their strategy is trying to accomplish right now.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

For anyone who preordered at a brick and mortar microsof store, i stopped by today and played dumb saying i heard today was the day to pick up your 950xl. They promptly brought it to and sold it no questions asked. I couldn't apply an educational discount for some reason. I also tried to switch from black to white since the white appears slightly less bland but all the phones they had were spoken for. I saw between 20-30 names on the preorder list as well.

Probably worth trying to get yours today and avoiding the black friday/thursday craziness if its not a long drive.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

phone is working just fine. It does feel a bit cheap and I get some creaking at the bottom but I intend to get a mozo case soon anyway.

Can't get visual voicemail working though. Looking forward to solutions for that one.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

Just saw this, not sure if it's true but it could point to a common variable:

I remember trying out a Blu Win HD dual SIM phone that also didn't do VVM. I assumed it was just Blu, maybe that was it all along. Both unlocked 950s are dual SIM.

That makes alot of sense. I had VVM on an unlocked 930 on ATT. 950xl gets nothing. This is unfortunate. I'm sure microsofy will put it on their docket to fix and get it working eventually as the 950xl is a bit more high profile for them than a blu win phone.

The absence of volte (HD calling) is bigger though. I've never had a phone that can do this and honestly text a lot ore than i call but from what i hear, the difference is really noticable.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I wonder, is VoLTE/HD voice and wi-fi calling available on unlocked nexus 6ps or iphones or do those need to be carrier branded as well?

edit- never mind. I asked an iphone question. Clearly should have checked the verge first. Apparently unlocked iphones are in the same boat: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/9/9488403/att-wi-fi-calling-problem-unlocked-iphone-6s

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 28, 2015

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

If HERE Maps and Drive aren't installed by default, what is? I love my Icon, but the more I read in this thread the more I think I may have to return to iOS or Android. :(

A new microsoft maps app which combines the function of drive and maps. Its a different UI but uses the same maps data including the ability to download offline maps. Overall i like it slightly more than Here although it still doesn't say which side of the street your destination is.

Also, is anyone with a new 950 or XL having problems with groove music? Since yesterday morning i can't play or stream anything but it works fine on my laptop and old 930. I've been through a saga with microsoft support who are all useless.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

I was loving my Lumia 950 until yesterday, my phone is draining the poo poo out of it's battery causing it to get hot and die in the middle of the day. It's been off the charger for 3 hours and I'm already at less than 50% battery. What the gently caress. Also every time I boot it up it gives me a message about "low storage" when I only have used up 9GB out of 21GB.

I've read that updating the phone fixes this but I just get an error when I try, well done Microsoft.

This should all be fixed in the update that was updated today. Yeah, I know recursive sentence but the updated the update to prevent the error when a small amount of 950s tried to install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Currently the 950 and 950xl do not support Verizon at all. They simply will not work. The SOC appears to have CDMA capabilities but Microsoft has chosen not to turn this on. Its possible but unlikely they may do so in a future firmware update but they've shown no indication towards this. As of now, the capable but aging 735 is the only windows phone available on Verizon but I certainly wouldn't get that a year from now.

The next flagship, the mythical panos phone, is expected to be released in late 2016 so may be out by the time you are upgrading.