Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Every new point I search adds another marker to the map, and with directions selected it draws a line between them, so you can see a continuous path.

I presume for it to provide active navigation you need to tap the next point and hit 'directions' to start the next leg of the journey, but it draws it all on the map at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

MS' forum says copy with usb, a mp3 to the Ringtones folder. Can't use Bluetooth, cant be wav, genre doesn't matter. I'll try this in a bit.

Chasiubao posted:

I'll have to try that. The BT copy put them in the music folder, and moving them to the ringtone folder using file explorer resulted in the same problem if them not showing up :smith:

Edit: Still hosed!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

When I plug my phone in on WinPho 10, a "Windows Phone" thing pops up from somewhere. But that's all that occurs. There are no files. I enabled developer mode, as well as the couple of various USB things that were there (including Device Portal) and now I can see the files.

I put a MP3 into the Phone's "Ringtone" folder (there was not one on the storage card). Then I went into sounds and picked the file. Worked fine.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

One of the more refreshing things with regard to WP has been the somewhat consistent updates, and less of a dependency on the specs of the device to be operable. The 635 versus the 640 was absolutely a difference, mainly in there being more RAM (though I'll give it to the W10 preview builds that it wasn't efficient at the time) and the "sound hole" on the 635 sucked nards. But even still it was completely serviceable and would be just dandy to use today. I dropped mine and shattered the screen though.

I'm still thrilled with the 640. When I run into an issue with new builds with the W10 insider, like, recently Microsoft Heath deciding to hoover up my battery, or Bluetooth audio just not working, an update to the OS seems to come by. Whenever I get frustrated with the time between those updates, I just remember the complete lack of them when I had the Nexus S and Motorola i1 on Android. Installing the various custom builds to those was also a crapshoot, and often more in the unstable direction.

There was an update last night that updated my OS, seems to have fixed the battery bullshit, updated Edge again, and managed to do so overnight without loving up my alarm so it went off and woke me up. I only knew it had restarted since the podcast app I had playing to lull me to sleep was no longer open.

The Band 2 continues to update and work somewhat better with W10M. Somehow I'm finding more apps in the app hole that I've been looking for or are interesting. Really, for a $40 phone I have little or no reason to look for buying a more expensive one right now. This is actually pretty drat good.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It is named after and responds as a female

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I have a 950xl and I don't have most of the issues he had ( I know anecdotal to the max). I think they are functionally equivalent. If you can tolerate the size, go with the xl. That said, Michael Fisher is pretty pro windows phone in general and stuff uses his 950.

I graduated to a 950xl and it is night and day to the 640 in quality. Is it worth $300 more? Relative to the cost of phones in general, yes. Windows phones, probably not. I like it a bunch. It is large. I have issues with it in my pocket mashing the power button while I am sitting, and it restarts.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

And yet the audio notification for e-mail continues to fail. I've never heard it once. Still, alias sending is a big deal.

I only hear it when I open the action center and it is in the process of refreshing. Sometimes it sounds like a slot machine and goes of 9999999 times. But it doesn't make any noise generally otherwise, it just sets the notification icon. I bet you can change it to on, and it is set to off.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I really liked it, but here I am posting in the WinPho thread, and as a MS/WinPho user.

So, yeah, not really reflecting a large market share here.

I'm on my second one, first one developed a tear. At least the BestBuy warranty will get me some cashish back on getting a different device if it breaks again - so I may come out on the plus side of that. If it doesn't break in the next 12 - 18 months I'll be just as happy with it. The GPS mapping, hike mode work great. I love the easy wrist notifications. I did not use the workouts feature often, nor guided, so I can't say much about that. Sleep tracking and the "smart alarm" are great.

These have a limited lifespan anyways so as long as it survives for another year, year and a half, like anything else in the wearable/mobile field it will be time to look for something else.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The ATT/Cricket 640 is like $25 and beats the 635. It's poo poo compared to my 950XL but the screen is in less pieces.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Nope, but the phone was pictured. They may be waiting to flesh things out a bit more where the implication of the phone just being a "smaller device" means they don't have to call it out specifically. That would be a dream world.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a 950XL that had a cracked screen, to fix it costs $225 - I paid like $400 for the phone. Not worth it.

iPhone time baby

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I bought a refurb iPhone 7 128 for $500 on walmart.com, it arrived brand new for all I can tell. So yeah..

Congratulations on your freedom

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I went iPhone and am not looking back. I have snap hat now. I have no idea how to use it. Feels good man.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ergot posted:

There's nothing that iOS could do that would make me switch to an iPhone. I mean, they could revamp the UI, but they won't. If my 950 dies and I can't find a replacement, I will be pretty bummed.

If you're fine with winpho then don't switch, no need for now. The price to replace with anything other than bargain devices isn't worth it, IMO, compared to iPhones.

What I got from iPhone vs the 950 on insider fast was that it works consistently all the time. The browser also doesn't gently caress up on rendering every other page I visit. That was a big one for me.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

UHD posted:

I still have my 950 even though it has screen burn in like my old 1020, mostly because i don't want to spend a bucket of money on a new phone, but also i have no idea what phones are cool and good to own anymore.

Still like Windows phone but :rip: this dumb abandoned platform

iPhone combines the utilitarian reliable functionality of WinPho with the modern app culture.

If you for some reason miss having updates or want to janitor your phone then Android garbage but, really, unless you pined for under the hood fuckery don't do that to yourself.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I do get nostalgic to it when I open another useless widget on my windows 10 pc like “people” or “see notifications from mobile device” and they don’t do anything.

My 950XL sits on my desk at work to test consumer Skype to Skype4B calls but now even that won’t stay signed in so welp.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Swap on I guess

Since the live tiles also worked like rear end half the time I am content with notification or force touch on an icon with the iPhone - 10000% sold on this for the set and forget it behavior I really liked with Winpho .

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

drat straight - they should send the boys to take you to the funny farm if you spend $450 on a lumia in 2018.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a broken screen on my 950 XL and was referred to the one repair center that would fix it for $250 or something so uh ... glhf

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It’s obviously going to be personal taste but one of the things that led me from WinPho to iOS, in the order of blackberry -> winmo -> Nextel flip phones -> android -> win -> iOS was that the android era of that requires tucking around and playing with stupid settings to get things to behave.

Maybe that’s cause it could be tweaked rather than it needing to but I don’t care if it is my desire to play with poo poo or not - I don’t want to do it .

iOS is what it is but it is also perfectly reasonable IMO , holds value , works every time for me etc .

If you want to dive in by playing with launchers and things then yeah get android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You’re charging it wrong

My 950XL still charges fine (it is plugged in indefinitely)