Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Typical GBS posted:

I did notice the battery dropped alot and it got really hot during the install but all good now.

Mine did the same thing. After leaving it on the charger all morning it was still draining faster than it was charging. A restart fixed it right up, but I've got to go through and look at all the new background tasks, cause my estimated battery life is at a fraction of what it was before. There's a few things like Wi-fi sharing that don't interest me at all I was able to shut down and it's helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Also, I thought they were removing facebook integration? I still have my facebook account attached / all of them appearing in people (though it also suggests I install the facebook app). And I can't figure out what this icon is to the right of "LTE" in the upper left hand corner

Does it look like a little newspaper or a page with writing on it? If so, that's an icon to let you know you've got an unread text/email OR it means you've got an unread notification in the notification center. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Has anyone else had their outlook email stop syncing since the update? I keep getting varying error messages every time I try to sync.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A minor annoyance that popped up with the Black update on my 920 is that nine times out of ten, when I press the power button to turn off the screen, it acts like I've pressed the search button. So, after I've checked my phone, I hit the power button and put my phone down only to see that it's sitting on the Bing search page.

Now, since 8.1, it now appears as if it's not just a simple press of the search button, but it thinks I'm holding down the search button. So, I'll hit the power button, put the phone down, and then I'll hear Cortana say, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that."

It's not really a problem, per se, but I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this or is my unit just going wonky?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Is there any reason to keep Cortana as a pinned tile, besides having a sexy spinning circle? She's always just a touch of the search button away, right? I can do without the news updates.

Last night I was at my nephew's birthday party. I checked my phone before getting in the car to leave and noticed that Cortana's live tile was not only displaying how long it would take me to get home, but also alerted me to a wreck blocking my usual route and suggested a detour.

I thought that was neat :shrug:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Shrimpy posted:

Out of curiosity, I've added both Home and Work to the places part of Cortana, but how did it manage to figure out your preferred route? Just driving it over and over again and allegedly it figured it out or did you have to activate something on the phone?

I didn't do anything special. Granted, my route from my in-laws' house to my house is the same as the one Maps would have suggested in the first place. However, I will vouch for Cortana's learning abilities. My wife and I work at different places, but we ride together every morning. I drop her off and then go to work myself. I added her work as a favorite place when I was setting Cortana up and this morning it suddenly changed its normally suggested route to one that took me closer to her work. It wasn't perfect, but I imagine it will begin getting closer and closer the more I do it.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 23, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

I had this fixed once, but the developer preview has brought it back: How the hell do I stop the calendar for chiming in with facebook birthdays at midnight?

I think I remember having to go to outlook.com and deleting the birthday calendar and adding it again because you can only change the reminder settings while setting it up

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I've been using my 625 for like a few weeks or a month now and I still can't get used to WP keyboard. There's just something about it that make me literally typo every word. I'm not sure whether the iPhone keyboard was any BETTER but maybe the error detection was more advanced? Can't really put my finger on why I'm so bad at this...

... much like I can't really put my finger on the keys I want :(

I've got the exact opposite problem. I type perfectly fine on my 920, but I dread having to text anything on my work iPhone. I have to really focus on what I'm writing or it just becomes a stream of gibberish.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone in the 8.1 preview program getting an update? It looks like one is out, although I don't see anything on my 920.

I got an update on my 920 while I was at lunch. Installed it. Any idea what it's all about?

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 16, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

My wife has had her iPhone (her first smartphone) for two years. The other night she said the most beautiful words: "I think I'm going to get a Windows Phone in November."

I let her play with mine a bit to check it out and she really dug it.

"I really like this, I can't wait to get one" :neckbeard:
"...but can I turn off Cortana? She freaks me out." :stonk:

Oh, well. Baby steps.

FAKE EDIT: I finally got around to trying out some app development. I'm working on a simple tip calculator just to get my feet wet. Sadly, the computer I'm using only has Windows 7, and I can only code for WP7.8. I just want to express my disappointment that you can't make a slider increment or tick in anything less than WP8.1. What the blue hell?

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 26, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Softcard launched for WP on AT&T. I downloaded it on my 920, but you need a secure sim card to do it. Gonna pick one up on my lunch break to see, but reports on reddit say it's working alright.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

My job supplies me a work phone (iPhone 4S), so I lug it around with my personal 920. My supervisor recently questioned why I don't just port my personal number over to CSpire and let the company pay for it and just have my personal phone be my work phone.

It's a tempting deal, saving me about ~$90 a month, but CSpire notoriously hates Windows Phone, and also won't entertain the idea of activating an unlocked phone.

Now I've got the choice of having a free iPhone/Android, or paying out of pocket to keep my Windows Phone.

I'm torn, ya'll.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A while back I bitched about having to give up my WP to move to the carrier my workplace uses for company phones. Pro being that my phone would be paid for by my company, and the con being that I wouldn't get to use a Windows Phone. No one really gives a poo poo, but I've just worked out a deal with my job to just let me request an expense every month to cover my personal phone bill and just use my personal phone as my work phone. So I get to cling to this sinking ship until it hits rock bottom! :neckbeard:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

BonoMan posted:

You mean there's TWO of us here in Mississippi that use Windows Phone?

Three! Let's all pretend our mouths are NFC capable.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hi. I spent $20 to play music on a product that has systematically been failing at this simple task for almost a year.

:goonsay:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 21, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I went in to AT&T the other day to upgrade my wife's phone. Long story short, they pulled some extremely shady poo poo to push AT&T Next on us and it pissed me off to the point that I immediately drove down the street to another carrier and opened an account with them. This carrier doesn't support Windows Phone, and it's why I left them a few years ago to join AT&T in the first place.

Anyways, now I'm sitting here with a brand new iPhone 6 Plus, dwarfing my not insubstantial 920. I've had an iPhone 4s for a work issued phone for a few years now, but I used it solely for texting, emailing, and calling. I was worried about the iPhone not doing what my 920 could do, but holy poo poo, Microsoft's app offerings beat the poo poo out of the native apps on Windows Phone. It's actually really upsetting how much better they are.

I was wondering what to do about my music, since I have a music pass, but Groove populated my entire library right there, and even offers offline play.

The only things I'm actually missing from WP is the ability to stream YouTube audio and a decent Reddit client. Everything else just kind of works out of the box. I miss the live tiles, and the ability to pin specific things to the start screen, but I'm not sitting here regretting it like I thought I would.

I guess, in essence, Microsoft is successful in marketing its services to a wider audience, but I'm still pretty salty that it all works better on this stupid iPhone than their native OS.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Why does it matter if the carrier supports the OS? The radio should be all that matters.

The carrier I went to (Cspire) uses a CDMA network where, instead of a SIM card, the device itself has to be manually registered to the network. Long story short, you can only use what they sell in the store, and they don't sell WP devices.

They used to offer the HTC 7 Pro, but they charged an exorbitant amount ($299 on contract) for it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MobMentality posted:

Edge is a still a POS on the 1520. And notebook. And PC. I'm actually using Firefox for once.

Edge on PC is actually p good, aside from lack of extensions.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MobMentality posted:

It consistently freezes or refuses to close on every device I own.

That's weird because it's the other way around with me. Chrome and Firefox just loving crawl these days and Edge has never given me a single issue.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

Doesn't having terrible touch gestures bother you?

I'll admit, I miss how fluidly I could browse the web with Metro IE, but after getting used to Edge, it's not so bad.

It's a hell of a better alternative to the processor baking Chrome on a Surface Pro.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Whelp, It's been nice hanging out in this thread for the past two years, but the windows phone experiment is over for me. I dropped my $1379 on an iphone 6S plus yesterday, and it will be arriving on the 25th. Those of you who've moved from windows to iphone, is there anything special I need to know about migrating? All my contacts and calendar stuff is synced through my microsoft account. Is anyone bothering to use outlook on their iphones vs the stock mail app?

I just moved to a 6 Plus from a 920 and, honestly, I'm loving it.

The only thing I was missing from my WP was my Music Pass and background YouTube audio. The Groove music app is pretty anemic, but you can download offline copies of your xbox music library and stream poo poo, so it's a win for me. I use the stock mail app and it's just fine and dandy.

Now I get to iMessage and FaceTime people and get HD videos and pictures texted to me, instead of downconverted poo poo and trying to convince people to install Skype.

I'm a little upset at how much more I'm liking the iPhone over my WP.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

I have literally been subscribed since the beginning, this might be the straw that broke the camels back and I move on to android phones. Between how they handled the Xbox One and now this, it's like they don't want my money.

I cancelled my music pass last month before I found the Groove app. I couldn't listen to any of my music the other day when it finally cut off, and then it occurred to me how they're holding my entertainment ransom. I listen to, like, the same six or seven albums over and over and I've paid ten times the price of the albums in subscription fees.

I'm just downloading my poo poo from Amazon from now on.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Hahah, whaaat? Why would you subscribe to a streaming service for years (?) and listen to 6 or 7 albums?

:shrug:

I asked myself the same thing when I realized I was doing it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

My trusty 3 year old 920 has taken a few nasty tumbles. Some directly onto its screen onto asphalt. Something is clearly rattling around inside it. Despite all of that, though, there's a minor ding on one corner of the shell and it still works perfectly.

My two month old iPhone 6 plus (in a loving otterbox) slid off my lap while I was sitting on the floor and fell 6 inches onto carpet and now the screen doesn't work.

So, now I've been playing with the 920 for the last few hours. The latest 10 build is loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

the keyboard will always capitalize "apple" even if you are writing about the fruit and not the company.

It also does that with the word windows but you know whatevs.