Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My wife and I have gotten into a bad habit of when asking the other one to choose between some things, just repeatedly asking "Which one? Which one? Which one?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

smg77 posted:

Here is a nice long read on how Silicon Valley is trying to disrupt the laundry industry.

lol

“We had this crazy idea,” says Metzner, “that someone should press a button on their phone and someone will come and pick up their laundry.”

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's like an IT Banshee companion.

verdigris murder fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 2, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

dreffen posted:

Let's burn silicon valley to the ground.

While disrupting laundry was bad this guy is my new worst person in Silicon Valley.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Man Sunday night just fell off the map with great shows all at once. This "leftovers" nonsense isn't picking up the game of thrones/Silicon Valley slack at all.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Tullendar posted:

Just caught this show and binge watched it. Really enjoyed it, hope they renew it, but don't rush into recasting Peter Gregory, but find someone who can play off kilter ie Stephen Root.

I didn't actually realise that actor had died until I was reading the wiki for the show. Then I kinda made sense why he wasn't in the last few episodes..

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Brodie posted:

Man Sunday night just fell off the map with great shows all at once. This "leftovers" nonsense isn't picking up the game of thrones/Silicon Valley slack at all.

Wasn't The Leftovers the show that had some articles saying it might be ~too dark~ for HBO (HBO, the network that airs Game of Thrones)?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I don't know, it just hasn't grabbed me at all. It reminds me of lost with it just getting more and more out there with really no explanation of what's going on. I'm sure it will start revealing more soon but I almost don't care at all to find out what's going on.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Brodie posted:

I don't know, it just hasn't grabbed me at all. It reminds me of lost with it just getting more and more out there with really no explanation of what's going on. I'm sure it will start revealing more soon but I almost don't care at all to find out what's going on.

Couldn't agree more. When the scene with Erlich curb stomping that pack of feral dogs rolled, it was pretty clear that Lindelof had brought piss to a poo poo fight.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Babygravy posted:

I didn't actually realise that actor had died until I was reading the wiki for the show. Then I kinda made sense why he wasn't in the last few episodes..
Chris Morris would be a good choice as a replacement eccentric rich guy. Srs.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Fateo McMurray posted:

My apartment complex lets you pay with a card. And the machine will text you when it's done. :smug:

You live in an apartment where you don't have your own washing machine but you get high-tech communal ones? Woah.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tullendar posted:

Just caught this show and binge watched it. Really enjoyed it, hope they renew it, but don't rush into recasting Peter Gregory, but find someone who can play off kilter ie Stephen Root.

I was half expecting Stephen Root to pop up at some point in season 1. Maybe he can be the one to fill the Christopher Welch void. I have no idea how, but Mike Judge will make it work.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I kind of like Peter Gregory being turned into an off-screen character who is referred to consistently yet no longer ever seen. It jives very well with...wherever the heck he is on The Spectrum, it's good comedy, and it's most respectful to Christopher Walsh.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Yeah portraying him as a rich billionaire that has to focus on other projects is accurate since he wouldn't be focusing all his time to the one small project

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subyng posted:

You live in an apartment where you don't have your own washing machine but you get high-tech communal ones? Woah.
Yeah I find that harder to believe than the microwave heater for some reason. I've never seen a "good" coin op washer

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I know this isn't as interesting as laundrychat, but it was announced today that Silicon Valley received an Emmy nomination for Best Comedy Series, which was pretty unexpected and cool.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Propaniac posted:

I know this isn't as interesting as laundrychat, but it was announced today that Silicon Valley received an Emmy nomination for Best Comedy Series, which was pretty unexpected and cool.
And it unseated Girls as the other HBO's non-Veep entry, which is also unexpected. Obviously it has no shot of winning in a field with Modern Family and Orange is the New Black, but it's good to see Mike Judge get some recognition.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
But then you see that Big Bang Theory is also nominated every year and it draws the whole drat thing into question.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

And it unseated Girls as the other HBO's non-Veep entry, which is also unexpected.

Thank god. Girls is so insufferable.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Timett posted:

But then you see that Big Bang Theory is also nominated every year and it draws the whole drat thing into question.

Award shows... The biggest rigged competition ever

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ultramiraculous posted:

Thank god. Girls is so insufferable.

And also not even remotely funny.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I have a hard time sitting through the promos for it. I don't think I'm supposed to get the jokes or something.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Brodie posted:

I have a hard time sitting through the promos for it. I don't think I'm supposed to get the jokes or something.

I think if you're not literally a 20-something watching HBO on your parents' dime, it has no entertainment value.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I heard Girls was supposed to be great and funny and I gave it like 5 episodes and had to stop. Couldn't handle it and I don't get it. Like, I get Sex in the City it makes sense to me how people could like it, but Girls is beyond me on so many levels.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Weird, the goon fans of a show with one (1) minor female character aren't fans of a show about mid-twenties women in New York. Who would have thought!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tigren posted:

Weird, the goon fans of a show with one (1) minor female character aren't fans of a show about mid-twenties women in New York. Who would have thought!
Dunno, I like both, as does my girlfriend.
Girls isn't funny though, it's ... unpleasant. I don't get how people watch it as comedy.

It's also very similar to Silicon Valley in that booth are about a tight group of annoying white dudes of mostly one gender who're very particularly 1. their gender, 2. white, 3. annoying.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Tigren posted:

I like female-dominant casts but find Girls to be insufferable past s1. Veep is my favorite comedy and has a woman lead as well as several other prominent women. Nice try at starting this stupid argument.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

thathonkey posted:

I like female-dominant casts but find Girls to be insufferable past s1. Veep is my favorite comedy and has a woman lead as well as several other prominent women. Nice try at starting this stupid argument.

It's just not a discussion that needs to be had here. What's the use of having five people say they do or don't like a different show that this thread isn't about? Post more about jerking off and bringing piss to poo poo fights instead of this:

ultramiraculous posted:

I think if you're not literally a 20-something watching HBO on your parents' dime, it has no entertainment value.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The issue with Girls being nominated has nothing to do with insufferable gender-based thinkpiecing, it's that it's a hypothetical comedy where they consistently forget to include jokes.

It's good to see SV get some mainstream recognition at all, but holy gently caress the emmy nomination board is a congregation of lamentable, out-of-touch turds for sale to the highest bidding corporations. The number of top tier no-shows in the lead categories is embarrassing.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Cingulate posted:

It's also very similar to Silicon Valley in that booth are about a tight group of annoying white dudes of mostly one gender who're very particularly 1. their gender, 2. white, 3. annoying.

Someone tell Kumail he's just upgraded his skin color

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Storgar posted:

Speaking of Big Head, what's going to happen to him in Season 2+? It doesn't seem like the show's going anywhere with him...

From a few pages back but gently caress knows. I kind of feel like his arc more or less ended in Season 1. He's a gently caress up and does amazingly well out of it...the end.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of him doing nothing for a season and a half as he vests, just taking up valuable scene time.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fateo McMurray posted:

Someone tell Kumail he's just upgraded his skin color
whelp

I blame it on no new Silicon Valley episodes in literally weeks. Silicon Valley withdrawal is making me racist :(

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tigren posted:

I immediately regret making my previous post. In retrospect, I should have seen this coming from a mile away because if you trash talk Girls anywhere on the internet (not just SA), someone will come out of the woodwork to blindly defend it, either by using this line of defense or with the "you don't get Girls" line of defense.

News flash, idiot: maybe people don't like Girls for reasons other than "it's a show centered around women in their mid-20s." Perhaps people hate it for reasons like "the show's cast is rife with people who owe their careers to Mommy and/or Daddy's fame and fortune," or "the characters are assholes with no redeeming qualities," or "the show can also be called Lena Dunham's Wish Fulfillment Extravaganza." Broad City is a show with the exact same premise as Girls while being magnitudes better, funnier, and more charming. Maybe you should watch it.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 12, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I like Ray, mostly because he's an rear end in a top hat, but not enough to redeem the show for being an uninteresting mess. I could care less whether the main characters were four privileged white girls or not, just do something with them.

Also, I've been watching Big Love, and now I hate Gavin Belson more than ever.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 12, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Inkspot posted:

That guy pops up in a lot of shows I watch and I can never see him as anybody other than Alby.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Y-Hat posted:

News flash, idiot: maybe people don't like Girls for reasons other than "it's a show centered around women in their mid-20s." Perhaps people hate it for reasons like "the show's cast is rife with people who owe their careers to Mommy and/or Daddy's fame and fortune,"

Why on Earth would that be a reason you hate a show. If anything, that sounds like thematically brilliant casting.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inkspot posted:

Such a shame we won't get any more Peter Gregory/Gavin Belson scenes anymore. The two had chemistry.

e: w/e probably not the thread to talk about Girls in

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 12, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The issue with Girls being nominated has nothing to do with insufferable gender-based thinkpiecing, it's that it's a hypothetical comedy where they consistently forget to include jokes.
Orange is the New Black leans way more toward drama than comedy and William H. Macy got a Best Lead Actor in a Comedy nom for Shameless despite A. being a supporting character at this point and B. Shameless having its darkest season yet. I only saw the first three or four episodes of this season of Girls, but I have a much easier time calling it a comedy than those other two. I think it's just that creators submit their comedy-dramas under "comedy" every time because it's easier to get an Emmy that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I fully disagree because OITNB is great. It has both jokes and excellently crafted character comedy. It's far, far funnier than Girls in my book.

• Locked thread