Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Interchangeable with 1920x1080, honestly. A 1200p display might run 1 or 2 fps slower than a 1080p display with the same GPU, but it's hardly anything to worry about.

A 760/270X is what you should be looking at, basically.

e: As an owner of a 350D, it's plenty quiet for me. It doesn't really attempt to suppress noise however, so if you want something super silent you might prefer. the DS4 or a Define Mini.

Also somebody messed up, because the 450D is mid-tower ATX case, not an mATX case :mad:

Q: Wait, can I just upgrade from my existing system?

Honestly, if you have a pretty fast Intel 2-series (Sandy Bridge) or Intel 3-series (Ivy Bridge) CPU and motherboard, and just want your games to run better, you can quite possibly just throw a new GPU in there (see above) and be plenty happy. If you don't yet have an SSD, think about getting one of those for your OS, apps, and games. These two upgrades will breathe plenty of new life into your system. If you have an overclocking 2-series or 3-series CPU, think about throwing $30 into an aftermarket cooler and overclocking your CPU - these series overclock quite well.

If you have something older than Sandy Bridge, you might want to seriously think about building from the ground up - a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, with other things as you believe are necessary.
[/quote]

I'm probably being pedantic, but I'd say even Nehalem i5/i7 CPUs are totally fine for a lot of users, depending on their expectations.

Hace fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Heya folks, great OP with a lot of great documentation! I'm a little on the fence whether or not I should do a complete upgrade or not. My current processor and video card are still performing well on the games I usually stick to, but I haven't bought a AAA title in awhile and Watch Dogs looks like it'll be a rough time on this PC; in fact, I think my processor scoots in just below the minimum requirement while my video card is the minimum requirement:
AMD Athlon x4 640 (3.01 GHz)
Geforce GTX 460
Both my RAM and HD are pretty decent (no solid state yet, but loading times don't bother me much). So if I'm going to do an upgrade, would I be better off bumping up to an i5 with a new motherboard, or getting a decent video card? Either way I know I'll get bottlenecked by the other, but which should I do first?

You kind of have to take the minimum/recommended specs with a grain of salt. Wait until after it comes out, and some sites will probably benchmark CPU/GPU performance, and you can see how demanding the game will actually end up being from that. I really doubt a major studio would release a AAA game that couldn't run on a dual-core system.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Caddrel posted:

Someone on craigslist is selling this build for $600, whereas the components come out to ~$700. He built it a few months ago.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jpanside/saved/3TwI

It's almost the same as what I spec'ed out for myself a few days ago with a i5 4570. The only sketchy thing I see is that the PSU is a Corsair CX series which the OP says to avoid.

The main difference is that the GPU is a GTX 750Ti, whereas I would have bought a GTX 760. My use case will be playing fairly intensive FPS games (Battlefield, Arma, etc.) on a 1080p monitor. I don't care so much about 100% max settings, but I would like the games to look nice. More importantly I want to still be able to play games that come out within the next 3 years.

Is the 750 Ti going to be a significant downgrade over the 760 for my case?

I would heavily recommend against buying whole computers off of Craigslist, especially if you're only saving $100 (and also because you shouldn't use Crucial SSDs or CX PSUs).

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

SL the Pyro posted:

Well, my computer has arrived and is all assembled... but there's a problem; my ASRock z87 Extreme4 motherboard's PCI slots aren't working right. Some testing with the graphics card and the network card has determined that everything is plugged in right, they're even receiving power from the slots (i.e.: even with the back power connectors on the GPU plugged in, its fans won't spin unless the GPU itself plugged into the PCI). It's all in the right spot, the motherboard just... doesn't realize anything is there. The UEFI system browser says that the slots are even Empty. Meanwhile, everything else works perfectly.

I'm sure this is probably because I've missed something stupidly obvious, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Just what the hell is going on here?

Can you take a picture of your setup?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ToxicToast posted:

I am thinking of buying this shellshocker deal at Newegg and putting a 750ti in it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1609227

I have never built a computer before but have put in a network card before.

Would this have everything I need for a decent gaming machine? I don't care about maxing out Skyrim. I mostly play Diablo 3 and FTL.

Right now I am trying to make sure 750ti is compatible with it and wondering which version of the card is best to get?

Thank you!

lovely no-name PSU built into the lovely case, bottom of the barrel FX CPU, and a Biostar motherboard. Also you'll have to shell out another $100 for Windows. At least you get 8GB of RAM!

Either get this Pentium model or (preferably) this i3 instead. They both have Windows installed, so no worries there.

Your motherboard is likely a dud, yeah. RMA that poo poo.

Also you're supposed to feed your ATX/PCIe cables in the bottom hole :mad:

Hace fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ShaneB posted:

Looks like I won't recommend that motherboard again. Although I know that it's an isolated incident... it doesn't make me happy.

Dead boards can happen with any manufacturer, even ASUS.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I really think you should get a B85-chipset at the very least, but that's just me I guess.

This for example would be perfect: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D12OAVE/?tag=pcpapi-20

Hace fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The 270X blows the 660 out of the water, and you should be able to find Rosewill Capstone 450W at around $50 on Newegg.

You also might want to look for the R7 265, which is only $160 but still performs very well.

Hace fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Spielmeister posted:

Alright, this is probably a stupid question. I'm thinking about the best way to get stuff off of my current 320GB HDD when I get my new build. My computer is ancient and only has up to USB 2, and most of the devices out there seem to be USB 3 now. Am I right to assume that those would work just fine with my PC and would just have a lower speed than normal, or should I avoid USB 3 devices at all costs?

Unless your current HDD is an external drive, just hook it to your new build up via SATA (make sure it's not your boot drive) and copy it's contents onto your new drive. You'll probably want to leave out the system files though.

The Grumbles posted:

I use it mainly for PC games these days, and it obviously struggles to hit high settings on new games like it used to.

What games are you chugging on? Your CPU is getting a little long in the tooth for high settings, but you're probably more GPU limited than anything.

Hace fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Google Butt posted:

Is my i3 2100 so long in the tooth that I should upgrade to haswell, or just buy a new gpu? I game a bit at 1080p.

At the end of the day, you will get much more performance from simply upgrading your GPU, trust me.

In terms of looking for a new CPU, I'd wait until Skylake hits in about ~2 years IMO, but if you find that your performance still isn't where you want it to be then getting a 4570 couldn't hurt either.

Hace fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Black Dynamite posted:

Is there a certain make and model of PSU that works particularly well with an ASUS Maximus Hero VI for around $100?

If you want what is nearly the best PSU available in the US market, you should pay attention to this:

atomicthumbs posted:

The Seasonic SS-760XP2 power supply is on sale for $99 at Newegg today and tomorrow, after using promo code EXLEMC2254 and the $20 mail-in rebate. It's fully modular, has a fanless/silent mode, and is 80 Plus Platinum rated.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Beast posted:

This may seem like a silly question but - is there any advantage or disadvantage anyone can see over picking this

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX760DCMOC2GD5/

over

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX760DC2OC2GD5/

to replace a now sadly showing its age a bit Asus 6850?

Only reason I'm considering the mini version is that I built my pc (using this amazing thread) about 2 1/2 years ago and in ATX... The only upgrade I can foresee in the future is possibly moving to a smaller case and I had a thought that if I bought the mini version I could use that whereas a full size card may have issues. Or am I over thinking this? The non mini is currnently £172 at amazon.

And also I presume I should see some benefit in the upgrade - paired with i5 2500K, 8gb and SSD. Gaming at 1080p.

The larger card is still going to fit in the vast majority of cases, even most ITX cases will support it.

The tradeoff between the two cards is the the smaller one will run hotter and louder, since it only has one fan that will have to work hard to keep the card cool. The smaller also likely has less overclocking headroom.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The miniumum CPU requirement is a Q8400. I get that it's built on DX11, but I'll be very surprised if it's actually that demanding.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Don't fret too much about the 760ti, it's just a 670 in disguise.

And as for the 800 series, most people aren't expecting it until late-Q3/Q4 2014, partially due to TSMC 20mm production delays.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ShaneB posted:

IMPORTANT NOTE: There will be a Haswell "refresh" coming out in early May. These new CPUs will improve the thermal interface between the CPU core and the heatspreader, allowing for (potentially) better overclocking due to lower temperatures. These new CPUs (codenamed Devil's Canyon) will work on current 1150 motherboards (but may require a BIOS update), and will be forward compatible with upcoming Z97 motherboards.

Not to nitpick, but I think that Devil's Canyon is only supposed to run on 9-series chipsets.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ignoarints posted:

Depends if it was originally an OEM license or not. OEM is bound to the motherboard. I believe this is the case still...

With Windows 8 you aren't bound to the motherboard. Dunno if that still applies since he upgraded TO Win8 from Win7, but it can't hurt to try.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I also believe that having 16:10 monitors help help with video production as well. Gotta have those pixels.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
They come out pretty easily for me, are you sure you're squeezing the tabs enough?

Caddrel posted:

Those look like great filters, I'll pick some up to be safe. I'll hold off on the extra fan for now and see how it goes. Thanks for the great advice everyone!

The 350D has filters built into the front and bottom PSU panel, it just needs one on top

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Alright, so I'm building a new PC and wanted to stay around $1500 CDN. I already have a nice case so here's the rest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.80 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($87.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($320.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($569.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1559.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-11 12:03 EDT-0400)

I just picked parts with high reviews, I don't really know much about this stuff. My monitor is 1920x1200 resolution, and I'd game on one monitor only. I also have two other 1TB hard drives I'll be tossing in for more storage. Suggestions?

Your CPU cooler is overkill, you shouldn't need more than a 212 EVO to help with noise: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2
A GTX 780 is really only reccomended for 1440p resoultions, for 1080p/1200p you should just step down to a 760 or a 770.
SSD size is up to you. Personally I'm perfectly happen with a 250GB, the price hike in larger capacities still doesn't seem to worth it to me.
This is a higher quality PSU for a lower cost: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-capstone550m
This RAM is just as good for less: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-memory-ax3u1600w4g9db

Also you should consider getting a new case, modern cases are a dream to work in.

Hace fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 11, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page3.html

Look at the jump from a 760 to a 770, then the jump from a 770 to a 780. Does that really seem worth the extra $170?

The main recommendation for 1080p is a 760 or a 270X is because they have excellent performance in most games, while also being available for $250 or less on average. In my eyes it's a huge waste to be spending twice as much just so you can turn the AA up a little bit higher in a few games, but I suppose that's just my opinion as well.

Please do not buy $500 graphics cards for sub-1440p resolutions, folks.

Hace fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 11, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I would strongly consider getting an i5 4570, but that would put you over $800.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ignoarints posted:

Does custom water cooling use tons of watts?

nah

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Zalman Goldrock PSUs are actually pretty good, I'd say go for it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Grumpwagon posted:

Pretty sure it's better to get 2x4gb sticks, because then you can run dual channel. The exception would be if you wanted to get more, but couldn't afford it now.

It doesn't matter unless you're using the IGP.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Peanut3141 posted:

Tom's has the 750 Ti 4 tiers above a 460SE. Not sure how that translates as I'm having difficulty finding benchmarks that span 3 generations of Nvidia.

Well given that the 650Ti Boost has very very similar to the 750Ti, you can kinda fudge it a bit like this: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/859?vs=782

Also feel free to take off ~5 frames from the 460 benches since he has the SE version.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Nitramster posted:

So my 460gtx seems to have died after 4 years. Even if there's a fix for whatever is plaguing it I'm ready to upgrade anyways. Reading the thread it looks like a 660ti is the best to go for but newegg only shows 1 exists?

Anyway ti or not, I'm pretty sure my computer has a PCI slot but I'm not sure what version, they are all compatible forwards and backwards correct? Can someone more knowledgable than me link me which one to buy..

Don't get the 660ti, the 760 costs the same/less, and has better performance.

And yes your PCIe slot is fully compatible.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

PunkBoy posted:

Re-did some selections for my potential gaming system. Anything I should change/consider? It would be great if I could get it under $1000, but I'll live with it if that's what needed higher end gaming. I could probably drop the Bluray player, but I want to be able to put my Final Fantasy X OST on my computer. :saddowns:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital RE4 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.08 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($54.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1060.97

You shouldn't be getting an RE4, they cost more and have weird firmware that'll make things screwy. Get this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex
Don't get Blu-Ray drives, you have to pay another $50 just to get software to be able to playback discs.
Also you might as well get a slightly cheaper 760 with sweet sweet EVGA support: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp43765kr

PCPartPicker part list

Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $986.89

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If I were you, I'd wait until the 800 series before picking up a new GPU. But if you really want a new one, the 770 would give you the biggest step up without breaking bank, yeah.

What does the rest of your system look like, by the way?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
That's a great unit, and it has a 7 year warrenty so that's hardly a bad idea at all.

I'm surprised that you have such a high end PSU and GPU, while still holding to a E8400 though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ellic posted:

Thank you for this thread. I was wondering about a point in the OP about hyperthreading. Intel notes that both the i5 and i7 have that tech as well as turboboost. The i5 can come in both dual or quad core depending on the model number (ark.intel is a great site to verify this, i5 list) and it is correct to say that quad core hyperthreading can be a problem for a lot of programs; intel even agrees. So how can I be sure to recommend an i5 to someone if it still suffers from the same hyperthreading issue as the i7? I don't think a vast majority of people need i7s but if there is a recommendation to avoid the i7 primarily because of the threading problem, then shouldn't that also be a concern of the i5?

You only want to be looking at these.

The only i5's that are dual-cores are laptop or embedded variants, all desktop i5 models are quad-cores. If you want something to recommend, the i5 4570 strikes a great balance between price and performance, granted that you aren't planning to overclock with it.

Also I'd hardly say that hyperthreading causes problems for most programs, it's more that most programs simply don't take advantage of hyperthreading.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If it's comfortably within your budget, it can't hurt. That should probably be one the last things to worry about, however.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

smelly cabin filter posted:

Whats a safe overclock for a 4670k with a 212? I just enabled the auto overclock on my motherboard which bumped it upto 4.2 and upped the voltage a bit. Not seeing any difference in temperatures from standard and the thing seems stable, I should probably just leave it as is :v:

With my 212, I wouldn't put my voltage any higher than 1.256V, and even that's pushing it honestly.

Currently I'm sitting on 4.2Ghz @ 1.20V, which is perfectly fine for me. My chip isn't the greatest, as it needs 1.256V just to reach 4.4ghz, and 1.29V for 4.5ghz.

Hace fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 14, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Why not just use a 650?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

stinkles1112 posted:

So I'm looking at doing my very first PC build, primarily to be a media center and do some amateur audio recording of my lovely garage band. I'm looking to have a main monitor for the music room and to use the living room TV as a second monitor for Netflix and etc. The most graphically intensive game I'm likely to be playing on it regularly is, like, Hearthstone, so I'm not super concerned about getting a great video card but I'd like to be able to run Starcraft 2 (the only other PC game I really play at all) on max if I want to, and I definitely want to have good dual monitor support. Money isn't really an object but I'd like to keep it relatively inexpensive since I'm not looking for Pro Gaming here. This is what I have so far:

Motherboard: MSI B85M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($71.10 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($34.98 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($78.65 @ NCIX US)
Total: $738.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-14 20:33 EDT-0400)

So what would the thread recommend by way of a GPU and PSU?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you actually benefit from getting DDR3-1866 or higher unless you have a Z87 chipset.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

AntennaGeek posted:

Just wanted to thank everyone in this and the previous threads...

I spent a lot of time planning an ultimate system.... and then I remembered I don't have time to play games, or the money to buy them after all.... so I just went and got a core i5 Inspiron. I'll get a Geforce 750 at a later date because... seriously so many of the games I was playing are actually doing quite well on the integrated graphics @ 1280x1024.

( Yes I could get a bigger monitor but that's not in the budget at the moment. )

You are all credits to SA, and kept me from buying AMD. Huzzah, et cetera.

I'd shoot for the 750ti, if you're able.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Counter-point: Don't buy a loving $500 780 for 1080p.

Yes, however H81 chipsets are as barebones as they come. It's reccomended to at least get a B85 chipset.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Jose Cuervo posted:

Barebones because it only has a single PCI-Express slot and 2 slots for RAM? Or some other reason?

It also uses PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0, it only has 4 SATA ports (2 of which that are 3Gbps). I've also heard that H81 motherboards also tend to have some corners cut in terms of overall build quality, but I don't know how legitimate that is.

Hace fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 16, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Lord Bude posted:

Get a 750ti instead of a 7850
get a nice 400w Seasonic power supply instead of that EVGA thing
The Asrock B85m-pro4 is only marginally more expensive and more fully featured than the motherboard you chose
Seagate does some dodgy stuff with their hard drives, get a WD blue instead
Swap out your case for the nicer Coolermaster N200
If you could find room in your budget for a 120gig Samsung 840evo SSD you really should, having a SSD is a life changing experience.

Doesn't the 7850 outperform the 750ti?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ZentraediElite posted:

So how about this?

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.97 @ OutletPC)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Mwave)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $652.41
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-17 11:03 EDT-0400)

What's the rub on Geil memory? I've never heard of them.

Memory is memory, doesn't really matter.

While Seasonic is nice, that PSU is super barebones, to the point of not even having braided cables. I'd consider getting this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

XFX PSUs are just Seasonic rebrands, so aren't sacrificing quality in the slightest.

e: Also someone is going to disagree with me, but if I were you I'd spring for an i5 and forget the SSD honestly. They're very nice, but hardly essential. You can always add one in the future anyway, whereas you're stuck with your CPU for a good long while.

Hace fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
MSI Afterburner is actually great software for overclocking, but regardless, you shouldn't install anything on the disc that comes with the GPU, since it'll just be out of date.

• Locked thread